Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you play an instrument?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I'm sure there'll be loads of people ready to make a joke about playing their flute, so let's get that out of the way :p
    I play a few instruments but would only really be solid playing the guitar and even at that it's something I'll constantly be trying to master my whole life. In the future I hope to take some drum lessons. I've been at a couple of small gigs and a good drummer is something that really impresses me.
    I'd be interested to know what instrument people would like to be a master at if they could just pick one. The guitar is obviously very popular but even from just having a look on YouTube some of the rarer instruments played are really amazing to listen to when you hear someone play it brilliantly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Yes i can

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I can play three!

The symbals, the tambourine and the triangle !

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I played a bit of bass but haven't picked it up in a while now, just stopped making time for it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I used to play guitar, but I got too strung out.

No.

And all these talent threads lately make me feel very inferior :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, play a few. Mainly play Irish trad, so I love this time of year now. Started on piano when I was about 6, then took up the guitar, mandolin then tenor banjo. Can't beat just picking a guitar up and then realising you've spent hours in your own little world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Used to be fairly handy with a guitar but being a grown up means I can't find the time for it anymore and my ability is declining all the time. Breaks my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

brummytom wrote: »
    Yeah, play a few. Mainly play Irish trad, so I love this time of year now.

Do you play for pay? Heard there's a nice bit of money to be made out of it playing around the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm okay on the cello. Played a little piano too and a few chords on the guitar to impress the ladies. That never worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

A little bit of tin whistle. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Yeah ! I play with me aul Flute on a regular basis .... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Do you play for pay? Heard there's a nice bit of money to be made out of it playing around the bars.

Yeah, not as much as I'd like to though. I don't know about Ireland, but I'd imagine it's similar to over here, the money's decent enough for doing something that's embarrassingly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

No.

And all these talent threads lately make me feel very inferior :(

Don't be silly! Things always appear like that but I'm sure you're not giving yourself enough credit. It's a pretty strong Irish trait :D.
    Is there an instrument that you think you'd like to learn?

I can't quite think of the name of the song, but it was some boyband backstage on the late late show with a trad band and I remember the thin whistle player being pretty brilliant. I must look for it actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Drummer here, also play a bit of guitar.

I'd love to be able to play something like piano without having to spend years learning to play it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

Bass and drums..

Or drum and bass if you prefer! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

ROAAAR wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be loads of people ready to make a joke about playing their flute, so let's get that out of the way :p

We're more mature than that here if you give us a chance.

Anyway Ive a pink oboe, tried playing it but didn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

My flute.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I play triangle for a reggae band. It's pretty casual. I just stand at the back and ting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Yes, I play a few instruments (piano, guitar, whistle, percussion) but I would call myself a master of none, though I can play to a decent busky accompaniment/performance standard.

Mastered my vocal abilities. That whole '10,000 hours to become an expert' idea definitely holds water. You have to put in the work, and I did with singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

A good few years experience playing my banjo string

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

Oh, and I can play the star wars theme music on harmonica...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I can play Three Blind Mice AND Hot Cross Buns on the recorder

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Guitar, though I haven't played in about a year or 2.

I can do the solo to Freebird perfectly without missing a note...............well...................on Guitar Hero anyways :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

As much sax as I can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Pataman wrote: »
    As much sax as I can get

Is this you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Guitar, though I haven't played in about a year or 2.

I can do the solo to Freebird perfectly without missing a note...............well...................on Guitar Hero anyways :(

fly high freee bird yeaahh .... hang on, I can get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

sadie06 wrote: »
    Is this you?

Rumbled again:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Yeah ! I play with me aul Flute on a regular basis .... ;)
    Adamantium wrote: »
    My flute.

;)
    x43r0 wrote: »
    A good few years experience playing my banjo string
    Fair play OP, called it in the first line :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

I’m fairly nifty on the guitar, I have an music ear so I found it easy to jump straight to the piano. That being said, I can find the keys by ear but am limited if the song is complexly fast.
    I wish I could sing. I know a few tips to sing but it’s just not natural to me and I hear it different to others. I cringe listening back on a recording. If I could pick anything to become good at, it would be singing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

Drummer and guitarist, prefer drums tho, much more fun :)

Advertisement