Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner mistakes

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

eoglyn wrote: »
    Acquire and learn lightroom.

What was the done thing before Lightroom, Photoshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭eoglyn

I think lightroom was developed in the digital age as a powerful batch processor and cataloguing programme to deal with the new problems that photographers had with having hundreds of images from single shoots.

I'm not sure there was anything like it before it. Camera RAW feeds into photoshop - its got similar adjustment controls to lightroom, i always thought of it as a precursor, though i know people who still use it exclusively as it suits the type of deep photoshop work that they do.

Aperture was the mac alternative - some still using it but apple have officially announced that they are retiring it in favour of new, as yet unreleased, software.

If you are into freeware, darktable is a free alternative:
    http://digital-photography-school.com/darktable-vs-lightroom-does-it-measure-up/

Picasa is a very basic programme that you can make minor adjustments, rename, resize and the like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you buy into the photoshop subscription, you get lightroom with it.
    i did, and i have both - and i still prefer using camera raw, lightroom is way too fussy for the job i want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Took about 200 shots over the weekend. Nothing to write home about, really. I've deleted about 70 so far. Mostly landscape shots and some animals. There were some donkeys/ponies who were a lively bunch, and some cattle, including calves who were cute, but a little shy of humans. Some shots that were almost there, almost. Nothing snappy, but just some nice moments, an eye or expression. Oh well. But this brings up a question as I had some trouble figuring out - animals with white faces and a the richness of their dark coat/body/hair. I ran into some overexposure with the faces, at times. The white faces were too white. I might post one or two later. I was mostly on M for the calves. I hardly touched the ISO (400) all weekend, iirc. But yeah, this was good practice on the 50mm lens anyway.

Question for the landscape ninjas among ye, though. Given the oft overcast and dreary nature of Irish weather, aside from lighting and what do you take into account when setting up your shot? The near ever present fog/haze is a little bothersome, at least on the natural Irish landscape - think the greens, browns of mountains such as found in Wickla, etc.

Have a 21st coming up next week, going to try some of the advise from here again.

I think overall, I'm finally learning - slowly - about process. Sometimes when out and about without a camera I find my brain is thinking about what settings I'd need had I one with me. Trying to calculate it in my head...

Definitely in your viewfinder you need to take that extra few seconds to see, not look i.e. use the full range of your eye to gauge what's to your left, right and not just dead centre. Adjust if necessary, then go.

A few shots on the animal front.

DSC_0012_zpsodiufkzf.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsgndsuef3.jpg

Bit dark.

DSC_0070_zps7ty8lqoy.jpg

DSC_0190-001_zpsmtqv2o6u.jpg

Needs better composition and focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Question for the landscape ninjas among ye, though. Given the oft overcast and dreary nature of Irish weather, aside from lighting and what do you take into account when setting up your shot? The near ever present fog/haze is a little bothersome, at least on the natural Irish landscape - think the greens, browns of mountains such as found in Wickla, etc.

You can play around with working interesting foreground elements into a scene, and polarizer filters will help with the haze problem. But good light is the key to decent landscape shots, and that inevitably means getting up early, or staying out late into the evening/night (you can still encounter spectacular light in the mornings even on rainy days).

In some ways the best landscape shots have less to do with a photographers technical or artistic ability, and more to do with their willingness to put up with rain and the cold, or hump a heavy backpack for miles and miles. Hope that doesn't put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

eoglyn wrote: »
    In the next 6-9 months follow these instructions and you'll be flying:

Shoot Raw.

Acquire and learn lightroom.

Shoot as often and as varied subject matter as you can.

Use the sh*t out of your 50mm - it will do for everything except sports, and you've got that covered with your 70-300.

Read Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson, once you have it read, read it again, then come back for another recommendation.

Share and discuss with other photographers, ask for C&C, either in real life, or on here, and take your family and friends' positive feedback with a pinch of salt, of course they will genuinely love your output, but you can do better, and other photographers will tell you how if you ask them.

Other than the above-mentioned book and software, don't buy any more gear, cameras, lenses, books, software, lights, courses. You might think you need it, you may read very convincing arguments why you do. You don't.

Oh, and avoid Ken Rockwell, he's full of bad advice and contradictions, google might love him as he is an SEO master but no one else does, I doubt if even his own carrot children care for him that much. Jared is marmite.

i just got my copy of understanding exposure yesterday. looks like a great book. Hoping to get lots of helpful tips from it. :)

In some ways the best landscape shots have less to do with a photographers technical or artistic ability, and more to do with their willingness to put up with rain and the cold, or hump a heavy backpack for miles and miles. Hope that doesn't put you off.

No, it doesn't. This is Ireland, after all.

Haven't touched the camera in a month, unfortunately.

I was flicking through the TV channels yesterday and saw the Kilkenny hurling team celebrating on the pitch (after the presentation, etc). I spotted a few sports photographers following them and some use of direct flash. What does this offer, apart from the obvious, in a situation like that - when you're on the move and so are the subjects of the shot? I think the weather/lighting was overcast-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 TheMightyI

I was flicking through the TV channels yesterday and saw the Kilkenny hurling team celebrating on the pitch (after the presentation, etc). I spotted a few sports photographers following them and some use of direct flash. What does this offer, apart from the obvious, in a situation like that - when you're on the move and so are the subjects of the shot? I think the weather/lighting was overcast-ish.

A fill flash can help in those situations when the light isn't coming from where you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the subject is backlit, it can even things out for you.so you don't blow the background trying to get a decent exposure on the subject.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Understanding Exposure book. I've not much read, but did enjoy the intro talking about the excess range of 'features' manufacturers have crammed into modern cameras, in part to automate almost everything.

Advertisement