Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War Thunder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭KeshFM93

CD8ED wrote: »
    Its cross platform Kesh, so PS4, PC and MAC I believe can all play together, I'm PC, Subjectb5 if ya wanna add me.

Great I'll do that and thanks , just tried the tanks earlier and it's brilliant . What a game!

Anybody any tips using the tanks ? I'm doing ok , but not as well as I'd like , Is it a case of buying "eagles" to purchase better tanks to stand a chance ? Or just grind it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

KeshFM93 wrote: »
    Anybody any tips using the tanks ? I'm doing ok , but not as well as I'd like , Is it a case of buying "eagles" to purchase better tanks to stand a chance ? Or just grind it out.

It's more about practice. Learning lines of sight on the maps, likely avenues of approach. Upgrading your tank helps a lot, and getting a decent tank T-34 1942 is great in its tier for example. Matchmaking can be a bit patchy at times.

What level you playing - arcades green targeting aid makes impossible shots possible for campers. Simulation has nice mix of help but required smarts. Realistic starts to push more back into camping though.

Patser wrote: »
    It's more about practice. Learning lines of sight on the maps, likely avenues of approach. Upgrading your tank helps a lot, and getting a decent tank T-34 1942 is great in its tier for example. Matchmaking can be a bit patchy at times.

What level you playing - arcades green targeting aid makes impossible shots possible for campers. Simulation has nice mix of help but required smarts. Realistic starts to push more back into camping though.

I'm just playing the domination missions (total newbie) I have a M3 Lee , M3 Stuart, and a M4A3 Sherman . The lee is working out ok for me but the Sherman seems very slow , have maxed out the upgrades on all tanks except the Sherman so hopefully it'll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

KeshFM93 wrote: »

first things first. Turn grass in optics off if you have it on. It levels the playing field. It should be off by default but a lot of people have it on and not realize how much it messes them up. Its like setting your graphics to movie standard, they have it in there but the devs dont want you to play at that level only make movies.

Secondly get to know the tanks, look at your own tanks and the tanks in your BR range via the x ray viewer in the garage, you dont need to own the tank to do this. Note where the crew is, note where the ammo is stored etc and try to remember it. with certain nations they favour certain layouts. It roughly goes like this

Russian tanks have tight spaces so their crews tend to stack up a lot, American tanks are spaced out but their ammo points are usually in really clear and easy to hit places Germans are middle ground, some crew are stacked but they tend to have more crew then russian tanks and the ammo is in clear spots but spread out more. This is all important as it leads into the 3rd lesson:

thirdly understand the basic math of pen vs weight. shells either have high penetration but little to no explosive weight or they have less pen but much higher explosive weight, there are other elements with later shells (fuse delay, certain type of heads etc) but the basic math will help you through the early game without issue, shells with high penetration you should be aiming for crew members first, parts second and ammo last. Shells with high weight is the reverse, aim for ammo compartments and then the equipment and finally the crew.

So for example a panzer 3 has a 50mm gun but from the J onwards you can unlock really high penetrating ammo, but it has almost no explosive weight. Against russian tanks this is actually great cause if you know the crew layout of russian tanks like the t34 and kv1 you can kill 2 crew with 1 shot (driver + gunner) and make the tank combat ineffective with the 2nd shot by killing another crew member. But against american tanks like the sherman and M3 Lee it is a pain in the arse because you rarely can get double hits meaning you cant blind slap the tank making it stop and not be able to return fire.

Early american 75mm shells is kind of the opposite, they are a pain to pen cause there are very few AP rounds in early american tanks until the 76mm shermans so instead you want to get a ammo rack to ensure a kill first shot because ammo racks need explosive to detonate, they rarely detonate from simple penetration.

Which brings on to...Ammo. Dont take full ammo. You can bind a key to show an xray view of your tank ingame, do this and start taking less and less ammo. You really want to be taking about half of your total allowed amount. Because the less ammo, the less of your ammo racks will be filled.

This is crucial for the Tiger's and Panthers as they both have ammo racks in really easy points to shoot unless you unload a lot of shells.

i take just under half usually only 2 types of ammo and favouring 1 with the second as a back up.

Actual fighting in realistic my advice is to pay attention to the hit circles that appear in your map when an enemy is fired on, dont rush up, but do keep moving, camping just lets players move aroun you, instead in a perfect game you want your team moving up into good positions, scanning and if clear moving up to the next position. Get a feel for long range engagements with the long barrel tanks while smaller calibre or short barrel tanks should be used for quick flanking moves.

I recommend the panzer 38t to get an idea of flanking as it has excellent AP ammo gets low br matchmaking and you get a feel for flanking and the later panzer 3/american tank destroyers/light tanks series can be pure evil for it.

If you have questions on specific tanks just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It looks a lot better than wot. Is it more consistent than wot.

Thanks Blitzkrieg , that does help a lot , I'm on the American tanks only , don't know it that's a good or bad thing , I've put too much effort in unlocking to change , I find it very slow to unlock new tanks, I'm on tier 3 now , I keep getting killed with one shot , the Sherman Hvss I think it's called is my best tank with the battle rating of 4.0 it's very slow and doesn't take much punishment , I wish it was a bit easier/quicker to rank up as far as the tanks are concerned , but I'll keep at it as I think it a great game and hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon . Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

First and foremost protip (which I believe applies to WT as I only mostly play WoT)

Learn to angle your tank. If there is one thing you need to learn, understand and put into practice this is it when it comes to these tanky games.

Simple guide

next patch will include this

ie_iac_roundel.png

Irish air force!!!

http://warthunder.com/en/devblog/current/835

Course some disagreement in they they've put us in the allies section and put Denmark in the neutral section

Next patch looks to be a big one, complete rebuild of the game's engine so it will be a hefty download at least, aside from that lots of new planes and tanks, new maps and other features.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    We were technically neutral but in reality we really weren't.

Yeah its a few nations out of whack like the Romanians on the allies and Denmark as neutral etc

Personally it just annoys me cause usually the nation's allegiance dictates who you need to fly as to unlock it for free. So I could be stuck flying spitfires to get it when it's much easier for me to do it with my 109s

Patch notes of new updat have been put out. Dev server will be open from tomorrow supposably the patch is 9 gigabytes in size

Here are the notes:
    Game mechanics
    In SB ground vehicles, the gunner view now represents the view from, where physically the sight was mounted on specific ground vehicles.
    New mechanism for measuring target distance for RB and SB game modes with new modification “rangefinder” which has been added for ground vehicles that were equipped with a mounted range finder.
    Introduction of the new Dagor Engine 4.0
    New water rendering based on NVIDIA WaveWorks technology;
    New destructible environment based on NVIDIA GameWorks technology.
    It is now possible to earn “vehicle for rent” in a trophy.
    Ingame chat has been changed. General channels have been removed.
    In the combined ground vehicle battles, new special markers have been added. These markers show the position of the enemy when he shoots and hits an ally, or when the enemy is hit by an allies. Marker will be visible for ground and air forces above the point where the shot was fired and will not move if the enemy moves.
    Crew skills
    Crew skill system updated
    Visibility mechanics have been updated
    New vehicles
    USA
    T92
    T25
    М26 T99
    SB2C-4
    TBD-1
    P-38K
    P-38E
    P-38L
    P-38J
    Germany
    Panzerwerfer 42
    Jagdpanzer 4-5
    Bf.109E-4
    Bf.109E-7
    Do-17Z-2
    Do-17Z-7
    USSR
    PT-76
    BM-8-24
    Yak-9B
    Pе-8
    Great Britain
    A13 Mk2 1939
    Achilles
    FireFly
    Black Prince
    Hunter F1
    Japan
    A7M1 (NK9H)
    Changes in Vehicle Models
    MGs, both AA and twin are now available for all ground vehicles that were equipped with them.
    Specific errors have been fixed, armouring details have been improved as well as improvement on the layout of modules and components for the following vehicles: IS-2 mod.44, Т-34-85 (all modifications), Т-44, Maus, Leopard I, M60, Т-54 mod.47, Т-34-100, Pzkpfw V (all modifications), Panzerjager IV L48, M3 Lee, IS-4М, Т-10М, Т-54 mod.51, Ferdinand, Pz.kpfw 35(t). Minor fixes have affected most Ground Vehicles.
    Physical collision damage interaction has been improved on multiple vehicles.
    New Locations and Missions
    “Stalingrad”. New location for combined battles (Domination, Battle, Conquest)
    “Advance to the Rhine”. New ground battle city map for combined battles (Domination, Battle, Conquest)
    “New Guinea”. new aircraft missions in Domination, Ground strike missions
    “Spain”. New aircraft missions for Alternative History mode
    New system of destructible environments for locations “Berlin”, “Stalingrad Factory” and “Advance to the Rhine” has been added.
    Changes in Locations and Missions
    Improved the environment around capture points and gameplay improvements for location "Mozdok"
    Location “Carpathians” has been significantly revised.
    A few settlements in the location “Poland” have been added.
    The size of the bushes in the locations “Poland” and “Normandy” has been reduced.
    Balancing changes on the locations “Finland” and “Eastern Europe”.
    Research and Economy
    Vampire FB.5 and Venom FB.4 moved to “Hawker” line following the Tempest Mk.II
    Damage Model
    Affecting all Ground Vehicles with a separate loading chance of ammo explosion - the chance has been significantly decreased. An ammo rack can be destroyed by a direct hit of cumulative jet or close explosion of ammo containing 150 gr or more explosives. A loading rack is still vulnerable to all damage including spalling. For example: KV-2, IS-2, IS-3, IS-4, Т-10М, SU-152,SU-122, ISU-122, ISU-122S, ISU-152, SU-122-54, SU-122P, М103, Т28, Т95, Т32 Mouse, Jagdtiger, Tiger II 105, М26Е1.
    In the T-34 series, a hit in the oil tank can no longer lead to fuel explosion.
    The mechanics regarding repairing has been changed. Now track repairs will start automatically if the vehicle does not move.
    To activate repair mode, you will need to hold the repair button for 1.5 seconds.
    Reload on capture and base points now starts automatically, if the player doesn't move and will be interrupted if he starts to move.
    The penetration of late-war as well as post-war AP shells with detachable trays have been fixed and adjusted.
    Changes:
    USSR: 100mm ZBM-8 penetration increased by 1%, 122 ZBM-11 penetration increased by 3,5%, 122mm ZBM-7 penetration increased by 1%, 85mm BR-367P penetration decreased by 4%.
    USA - 105mm М392А2 - penetration increased by 5%, 90mm М332 - penetration decreased by 14%, 90mm М304 penetration decreased by 13,2%, 90mm Т44 penetration decreased by 13%, 76mm М93 penetration decreased by 2%, 76mm М331А2 penetration decreased by 10%, 76mm М319 penetration decreased by 10%.
    Germany: 105mm DM-13 penetration increased by 5%, 105mm PzGr 40 penetration decreased by 10%, 88mm PzGr 40/43 penetration decreased by 11%, 75mm PzGr 40/42 penetration decreased by 15%.
    Changes in Flight Models
    A bug that caused long set of the engine speed after a dive on some aircraft models has been fixed.
    Changes and improvements for following aircraft: Arado-234, 234C-3, Attaker FB.1, F2A-1, F2A-3, B-57A, B-57B, Canberra B.Mk.2, B.Mk6, F2H-2, F8F-1, F8F-1b, F7F-1, F-84, Ho.229V3, He-162a-2, Meteor F.Mk.3, F.Mk.3 Navy, F.Mk.4 G.41F, G.41G, F.Mk.8, MiG-9, МiG-9L, MiG-15, MiG-15bis, La-9, La-15, La-174, Ki-200, Me-262a-1a, Me-262a-u4, Me-262c1-a, Me-262c-2b, P-38G, R2Y2 V1/V2/ V3, Kikka, Typhoon Mk.1a/ Mk.1b/ Mk.1b Late, Vampire FB.Mk.5, Venom FB.Mk.4, He-111-H2/H6/H16, F6F3, Beaufighter Mk.VIc, X, XXI, Wellington (all models), D3A1, B7A2, Beaufighter Mk.XXI, Yak-15, Yak-15P, Yak-17, A6M2N, AD-2 Skyraider, Bf.109F-1, F-2, F-4, F-4(trop), G-1, G-2, G-2(trop), G-6, G-10, G-14, K-4, F1M2, F4u-1a,1a(USMC),1c,1d, F-80A, F-80C, F-86A, F-2, F-25, F-30, CL-13A Mk.5, F9F-2, F9F-5, Firebrand TF.4, Firefly Mk.1, Mk.5, H6K4, Ju-88-C4, Me-262a-1a, Me-262a-u4, Me-262c1-a, Me-262c-2b, P-63A-5, A-10, C-5, Sea Fury FB.11, Spitfire Mk.I, Mk.II, Mk.IIa, Mk.5b/trop, Mk.5c, F.Mk.IX, F.Mk.XVI, LF.Mk.IX, F.Mk.XIVe/c, FR.Mk.XIVe, F.Mk.XVIIIe, F.Mk.22, F.Mk.24, Seafire Mk.XVII, FR Mk.47 - Specified the calculation for the airflow on the horizontal tail surfaces, Inertia calculations updated.and Spitfire Mk.II/IIa, Tempest Mk.V + captured, Mk.V Vikkers, Tempest Mk.II
    Initially configured according to the data sheet: SB2C-4, TBD-1, P-38K, P-38E, P-38L, P-38J, Bf.109E-4/7, Do-17Z-2, Do-17Z-7, Yak-9B, Pe-8, Hunter F1
    Changes in Ground Vehicles
    Added ability for the M41 and SPAA M42 to perform a neutral turn.
    The maximum speed of the T-44 has been reduced to 60 km/h, according to “Guide to exploitation of T-44” NKO USSR 1946, page 5.
    New modification/module “Rangefinder” added for M103, M47, M60, Leopard-I, SU-122-54, Panther F, Panther 2 and Tiger 2 105. This will allow the measurement of range of up to a distance of 2.5km in Realistic/Simulator Battles and 1.5 km in Arcade Battles.
    Interface
    The amount of explosives contained in a shell has been added to the info card for ground vehicles
    New battle statistics interface
    New daily rewards interface
    New crew skill interface
    Decals and Camouflages
    New decals for both ground vehicles and aircraft have been added. Requirements for receiving certain decals have been adjusted
    Clarified the conditions for obtaining decals for ground vehicles and aircraft.

The current provided patchnotes reflect the major changes within the game as part of this Update. Some updates and fixes may be not listed in the provided notes.

link: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/270903-update-notes-153-preliminary-14102015/#entry5281999

Are there many bots in War Thunder? I know there are 'official' ones where you mouse over them and there's no name and they're very crap but what about 'human' bots?

I've now gotten to Tier2 vehicles on US/RU/Ger and have a reasonable number of matches under my belt and I'm close to giving the game up. I thought WoT had tomatoes but the level of play in WT leaves me raging so often. I've played a scary number of games where we've almost won. We need a mm of the counter to tick down and then lose the cap and my team are literally just sprawled all over the map, ignore the cap and just watch the meter tick down till we lose.

I've seen cap zones surrounded by blues and yet be capped by the enemy and no one does ANYTHING to prevent it.

Majority of the team sitting just outside spawn sniping and refusing to move (personal hate).

Flying planes at the most random of times. I've seen blues sitting right on the white line outside of a red cap zone but he/she flying a plane whilst the counter ticks down towards a loss.

Last one I'm not sure about but I always start with my best tank and I get a bit pissed off when someone starts off a match in AA and sits in spawn staring at the sky waiting for planes to appear when I feel the crucial thing is to be grabbing caps and blapping the enemy.

Anyway... /vent but I hope things improve in later tiers because I'm losing patience fast with the current level of play. I've had too many games where I'm sitting at the top of the leaderboard with 2 other people and the rest of the team have no kills/no assists which makes me wonder how 'real' are my teammates......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

So 1.53 is here finally

Huge update...

New engine, destructible enviroments (some maps) and finally some (4) 'TEA TANKS'/ "british" tanks well 2 are american with british guns and all 4 are premium! so cash monies out if you wanna use em :rolleyes:

http://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/499

Will download it when I get home not sure if ill fork out for the brits unless its the same as when the americans were released and you got access to the full tree as a beta type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Feck! Was hoping to use my Mossie, Beauforts and Beaufighters in proper ground attack games (as well as having my beloved Spits IIb and IX)

4 tanks, all to be bought. Not much of an incentive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Oh here https://store.gaijin.net/story.php?title=War-Thunder_Royal-guard-Advanced-Pack is the pack to buy all 4 tanks... €80 wow thats a bit steep (although im pretty sure i know someone who will get it :p ) in fairness. and you get 30 days premium with that too...

As each tank is in its own B.R bracket you get 3 spawns with each tank.

Also where would your RP go its not like the tree is there to start researching the non premium tanks.

It's 80 euro is a bit steep. but it's the black prince that is doing that (looking at them individually its 40 euro)

The british tanks are not worth it at the moment because they changed the crew skills system so its much more important to have crew skills and unless you have a british slot overflowing with spare crew points you will be at a massive disadvantage taking a tier 3 or 4 tank into a game vs players who have a good chunk of crew skills.

I might pick up the tier 1 to help prep a crew slot for when british tanks come, get lots of crew points in there.

but its hard to justify it really.

The crew skill change system is the centre of a lot of controversy so when I get on this evening I get to see if they've ruined War Thunder ground forces or not.

They may have vastly improved air forces (especially simulator)

Seems mostly the same bar some shinier gfx.

Crew exp changes don't make any sense to me but I spent literally one minute looking at it.

Only thing I've noticed is I play with high ping 190-260 (hurrah Australia) and it's harder to drive the tanks since this patch. Tanks feel more like they're on ice.

Seems mostly the same bar some shinier gfx.

Crew exp changes don't make any sense to me but I spent literally one minute looking at it.

Only thing I've noticed is I play with high ping 190-260 (hurrah Australia) and it's harder to drive the tanks since this patch. Tanks feel more like they're on ice.

crew changes are the core of everything changed in this update so I'd recommend spending a few minutes looking at them

basic system is this

each crew skill improves a certain ability, when you mouse over the stars the game will tell you:

Total: the total skill you currently have

base: the standard value of that skill everybody has

Bronze star +: Says how much extra skill you put into it by putting in skill points

Silver star +: the bonus from paying lions to make your vehicle expert

Gold star +: The bonus from paying golden eagles (or grinding it out) to get your vehicle Ace

Max: The highest amount you can get in that skill.

Everything new in 1.53 is somehow linked to these skills

For example G-Loc has been overhauled to account for your pilot passing out, if you've put little points into your g tolerance and stamina your pilot will pass out during loops or dives or tight turns rendering your plane uncontrollable for a few seconds until he wakes up again.

This has led to a lot of players passing out and crashing into the ground during dives and it is now a legitimate tactic to force a player to pass out when they are chasing you.

This has also led to some rollbacks on nerfs etc my personal favourite being they've rolled back the bf109 F4 nerf

previously due to its amazing climb rate and dogfighting ability the bf109 F4 despite being tiered up again and again was forced to be artificially nerfed by removing the ability to take 20 minutes of fuel instead of 30.

this has now been removed. You can take 20 minutes of fuel again, but unless you have a maxed crew that is aced in the 109 F4 you will pass out a lot in the plane pulling some of moves that made it a monster.

Honestly between that, the much improved vision and other changes aircraft in war thunder have had a great overhaul in 1.53 and I approve.

As for Tanks

it's a bit more of an issue two big changes in relation to spotting have been made.

Firstly now whenever you hit an enemy the screen flashes a red arrow over the tank briefly and depending on your radio skill this is passed to teammates within a certain distance. It also appears to stay if you keep enemy in your binocular sights or scope. All of this is crew skill dependent again

A lot of players hate this. It was done to help coordinating between aircraft and tanks but markers in RB are loathed by the RB tanks community.

Secondly they improved the engine to deal with the ULQ issue but they've also introduced a skill based limit on how far you can see in ground forces meaning enemies outside of a certain range if they dont move and dont fire will not appear for you. But if they do fire and you see them as long as you dont take your eyes off them they will not go invisible again.

Its a sort of light WOT spotting system. It also comes packaged with visibility ratings for all the vehicles which no one has worked out how they are measuring every vehicle.

This is in particularily hated by the community, initially it had bugs which led to invisible tanks 10m in front of you but thats been fixed it seems. Personnally I was against it and still am but it is very much situational that someone can take advantage, you basically get one shot at range if you wait somewhere without moving, but after that shot everyone can see you and if they dont take your eyes of you then you cant hide.

Still would prefer without it but I have yet to run into anything beyond 1 or 2 times I've seen it actually affect my game and I'm not sure the players who did it were aware that they were invisible.

So tanks its not as much a good patch

They also had a tonne of other things that they quickly backtracked on

-There was a bug with bombers giving out 20,000 xp per game regardless of what you did so players were crashing at the beginning of games over and over to gain xp. This has been stopped and a fair few temp bans handed out over it.

-There are now UT/HALO like kill commentary that was in all modes (along with cheering when you win) but this has been removed in both RB and SB and appears to be only in arcade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I used to be able to fly defensively against 2 or 3 mig 15 bis at a time before this patch in my mk8, now i can barely defend against a single mig.

They've changed the flight model of the mk8 to make it very sluggish at higher speeds, but the acceleration seems to have shot through the roof.

I'm don't like it, and im undecided on whether I think it's a problem or not. I have to re-learn how to play against russian aircraft before I make that call.

The most puzzling thing is that it's even more powerful against american jets. I don't think ive been shot down by an american jet since the patch.

Mk8 at the minute it not fun. From what I'm hearing the hunter is a disaster too. One noticeable improvement for the brits so far is the venom.

• Advertisement

I dont play much tier 5 jets (never reallly interested me) but I hear on the wt grape vine that the mig 15 got a big buff and all the meteors got shuffled down to make way for the hunter and venom to be their main opponent.

edit: also check your crew skills, if you are flying jets at tier V with relatively low crew skills you might find them difficult to control.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can anyone tell me how Premium works when you get the X days from the bundles is it's to be applied or if I get it now it's starts straight away?

Playing on Console and PC but the account is a Playstation so I'm one of the * crowd.

Varik wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how Premium works when you get the X days from the bundles is it's to be applied or if I get it now it's starts straight away?

Playing on Console and PC but the account is a Playstation so I'm one of the * crowd.

it starts straight away

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    it starts straight away

Well that sucks.

welcome to free to play mmos...

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    welcome to free to play mmos...

Some stuff was on sale but didn't have the time to make anything of the premium time right now so will wait till next time, not really having any issue progressing so no real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Sorry to necro an old thread but this game is still going i guess, in fact I started it last week. Really enjoying it so far - only unlocked one new plane - the hurricane, but so far having alot of fun. Playing with HOTAS and I have ordered an Oculus Rift, which is why I started playing it. Leveling up a little before playing it in VR.

Is Hotas a disadvantage - if mouse is just point and shoot that sounds like it could be alot easier. Not that i will change - HOTAS is alot more fun i guess even if a disadvantage.

any tips for beginners? Should i ignore ground targets until i get a bomber? which armed forces should i focus on (currently doing UK).

Since i am using hotas should i be thinking about realistic battles instead of arcade - I have avoided realistic so far on the basis that i will get crucified trying that while i am still getting to grips with the game. As i understand it mouse controls would be a disadvantage in realistic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've never touched the planes, I stick to being a ground target, but from the videos I've seen, realistic is almost another game entirely and best avoided until you're more experienced, as it's fairly unforgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Fian wrote: »
    Sorry to necro an old thread but this game is still going i guess, in fact I started it last week. Really enjoying it so far - only unlocked one new plane - the hurricane, but so far having alot of fun. Playing with HOTAS and I have ordered an Oculus Rift, which is why I started playing it. Leveling up a little before playing it in VR.

Is Hotas a disadvantage - if mouse is just point and shoot that sounds like it could be alot easier. Not that i will change - HOTAS is alot more fun i guess even if a disadvantage.

any tips for beginners? Should i ignore ground targets until i get a bomber? which armed forces should i focus on (currently doing UK).

Since i am using hotas should i be thinking about realistic battles instead of arcade - I have avoided realistic so far on the basis that i will get crucified trying that while i am still getting to grips with the game. As i understand it mouse controls would be a disadvantage in realistic.

HOTAS is great in sim, not so much in arcade/realistic battles. I use HOTAS with pedals and TrackIR 5, but you just cant compete with mouse and keyboard in realistic battles. Warthunder sim is fine, the combat is a lot of fun, but if you want something a bit better try DCS (Normandy) or IL2.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »

Sim is where you'll want to go to play in VR and HOTAS.

Which is not terrible, unlike arcade and realistic, Sim aircraft is done via rooms instead of a matchmaker, so its easier to find a group of people and play with them.

There are also 2 modes in sim aircraft

one plays on the same maps as realistic and you bring one plane each out of line up.

The other is called Enduring confrontation and the maps are massive and you can respawn as much as you want as long as you have enough silver to pay for repairs.

Both modes have their benefits and flaws. Enduring confrontation feels closer to games like IL2 and DCS as it's an open battlefield so you could find yourself flying for quite some time before you engage or are engaged by enemies. But if you like planes like bombers and attackers it feels better suited for them. While the other mode is much more focused on dogfighting.

(wiki: https://wiki.warthunder.com/index.php?title=Simulator_Battles)

I like sim war thunder and I play it with my HTC vive in sim which is genuinely a lot of fun. And of all the sim games War Thunder is the most forgiving and easiest to learn how to play in sim.

BUT

IL2 Battle of Stalingrad handles VR a hell of a lot better, so if you are willing to spend money and willing to put time in to learn how to fly properly I'd recommend considering it.

War Thunder's graphics are a bit of a mixed bag with VR in terms of scaling which they've yet to resolve, IL2 works almost perfectly in VR though.

Though of all the games War Thunder does have the biggest selection of planes.

I've been playing it since 2013 and have pretty much all of them so I love playing VR War Thunder purely for the variety of planes I can take.

Advertisement