Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2015 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ah well

I'm happy as long as they hold on for the win. Should be routine anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Not to get carried away......but I've always been intrigued by history repeating itself.

In 1989 the Reds finished 2nd last in their division with a 75-87 record.
    In 2014 they finished 2nd last with a 76-86 record.

Prior to the 1990 season, they traded away/released their starting LF, and 2 starting pitchers (one an all-star)
    Prior to the 2015 season, they traded away/released Ludwick and Heisey (their LF platoon) and 2 starting pitchers (Latos and Simon, an all-star)

The 1990 team were considered to be declining and media predicted a low finish in the division.
    Most media outlets have said that the 2015 Reds and Brewers will fight for 4th place.

The 1990 Reds started the season with a 3 game sweep with one game going 11 innings.
    The 2015 Reds started the season with a 3 game sweep with one game going 11 innings.

Now for the hopeful bit......the 1990 Reds started the season in first place, and stayed in first place the entire season. Culminating in a 4 game world series sweep of the Athletics, who were solid favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

8-10 wrote: »
    Batters also now run the risk of automatic strikes being called against them if they don't keep 1 foot inside the batters box, has led to a few dance moves happening when they accidentally stray and then remember the rule! Beltre did it last week and Encarnacion recently also.

This is the weirdest new rule. And yet its making quite a change and I really approve of it.

The batter cant stroll away playing with his gloves and examining his bat anymore. No more wandering off towards your dugout between pitches.

I like it. The change has been immediately noticeable too. I heard they're just warning players for the first two months and then they'll start handing out strikes. You know the catchers are going to be all over it.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    This is the weirdest new rule. And yet its making quite a change and I really approve of it.

The batter cant stroll away playing with his gloves and examining his bat anymore. No more wandering off towards your dugout between pitches.

I like it. The change has been immediately noticeable too. I heard they're just warning players for the first two months and then they'll start handing out strikes. You know the catchers are going to be all over it.

I haven't seem any of the Red Sox games yet, how's Big Papi getting on with this new rule? He was probably the worst for going for little wanders between pitches and the rule was probably designed with him in mind. In Spring Training he said he was going to ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

They still get to walk around a good deal....the rule only applies to taken pitches.

If the batter swings and misses, or fouls the ball off, or gets brushed back by a pitch, the rule does not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So I went to bed after about 3 innings of Sox Yankees last night cos I had to be up early.

Had I checked the score when I awoke I could have caught the last few innings.

The Sox won it in 19, almost 7hrs after it started !

So I went to bed after about 3 innings of Sox Yankees last night cos I had to be up early.

Had I checked the score when I awoke I could have caught the last few innings.

The Sox won it in 19, almost 7hrs after it started !

Would love to have watched it. I love games like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Would love to have watched it. I love games like that.

Yes there is something "epic" about them alright.

I don't think any other sport would play a second full game without interruption to decide a winner.

With a day game coming up the pitching staffs are wrecked I'd say.

Both starters went 5+ as did both "closers"

Yes there is something "epic" about them alright.

I don't think any other sport would play a second full game without interruption to decide a winner.

With a day game coming up the pitching staffs are wrecked I'd say.

Today's game should be interesting then. Should we expect a couple of roster moves by both sides to bolster the bullpens?

• Advertisement

There was a Mariners game a few years ago that went so may innings they ran out of pitchers so the catcher pitched.

They lost. I've been trying to look up which game it was but i cant recall who they played. It was within the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There was a Mariners game a few years ago that went so may innings they ran out of pitchers so the catcher pitched.

They lost. I've been trying to look up which game it was but i cant recall who they played. It was within the last 5 years.

It was 2008

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/baseball/article/Catcher-Burke-pitches-Mariners-lose-anyway-1278607.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Here was another long extra innings game from a few season back, Chris Davis went 0-8 but ended up pitching and winning the game...
    http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/28033182/v21222181/balbos-davis-earns-win-in-first-pitching-appearance

Another drug suspension. This time Mets closer Jenry Mejia gets 80 games.

EDIT - never thought a bit part player getting busted for PEDs would make the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/new-york-mets-s-jenrry-mejia-suspended-for-testing-positive-for-banned-substance-1.2174149

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

Cubs-Rockies making a hell of a game. Good to watch...

Coeus wrote: »
    Here was another long extra innings game from a few season back, Chris Davis went 0-8 but ended up pitching and winning the game...
    http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/28033182/v21222181/balbos-davis-earns-win-in-first-pitching-appearance

I love it. Brilliant that he won the game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mmarch2

That was one of the best and most nerve wracking games I have watched in recent memory!

I am glad to see there are baseball fans in Ireland. I am a baseball fanatic from the United States that will be attending UL two years starting this fall.

Saturday night I was able to enjoy the O's whipping the Blue Jays on opening weekend after a dominating (and absolutely shocking) start from Ubaldo. I also witnessed a fan 2 rows and 6 seats down catch Jonathan Schoop's first career grand slam.

I look forward to chatting with you guys over the next two seasons, I imagine this and mlb.tv will help me keep my sanity.

As always.. Let's Go O's!!!

mmarch2 wrote: »
    That was one of the best and most nerve wracking games I have watched in recent memory!

I am glad to see there are baseball fans in Ireland. I am a baseball fanatic from the United States that will be attending UL two years starting this fall.

Saturday night I was able to enjoy the O's whipping the Blue Jays on opening weekend after a dominating (and absolutely shocking) start from Ubaldo. I also witnessed a fan 2 rows and 6 seats down catch Jonathan Schoop's first career grand slam.

I look forward to chatting with you guys over the next two seasons, I imagine this and mlb.tv will help me keep my sanity.

Welcome aboard. Great to have another baseball fan on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Worth watching all 3 videos in this one:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/117979096/mookie-betts-robs-homer-swipes-two-bags-belts-three-run-home-run

In the first 2 innings, Betts hustled like crazy to rob a homer, stole 2 bases in the 1 play (shift was on so nobody home at 3rd), and hit a massive 3-run homer over the monster

The more I see him the more this kid is the real deal.

8-10 wrote: »
    Worth watching all 3 videos in this one:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/117979096/mookie-betts-robs-homer-swipes-two-bags-belts-three-run-home-run

In the first 2 innings, Betts hustled like crazy to rob a homer, stole 2 bases in the 1 play (shift was on so nobody home at 3rd), and hit a massive 3-run homer over the monster

The more I see him the more this kid is the real deal.

Boston doesn't do low scoring games eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

It's so satisfying to have real baseball back. Especially baseball at times that is reasonable for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Off to the As @ Astros this evening. Who should I watch out for? Haven't been following MLB much of late.

I love it. Brilliant that he won the game too.
    mmarch2 wrote: »

Yes, I remember watching that game here. I think there might be some O's fans who drop into these threads from time to time...

Good choice in university aswell, its my alma mater :)

Berserker wrote: »
    Off to the As @ Astros this evening. Who should I watch out for? Haven't been following MLB much of late.
    As pitcher Kazmir could rack up the Ks with the way the Astros swing the bat.

Enjoy the game, hope the roof is open for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

As pitcher Kazmir could rack up the Ks with the way the Astros swing the bat.

Enjoy the game, hope the roof is open for you!

Well, the Astros were ahem poor, putting it mildly. Poor when it came to swinging the bat and poor when it came to pitching too. Nice evening for a game and a very nice ball park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Has Citi Field been this loud since the No-Hitter? Welcome back Harvey.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Has Citi Field been this loud since the No-Hitter? Welcome back Harvey.

Just catching up on the highlights and reports now. Yeah, it seemed like a great atmosphere alright. Eventful game as well but costly for the Mets losing both Wright and Cuddyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just catching up on the highlights and reports now. Yeah, it seemed like a great atmosphere alright. Eventful game as well but costly for the Mets losing both Wright and Cuddyer.

Cuddyer has X-rays and they proved negative but David Wright was having an MRI but haven't heard what the prognosis is for him.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Cuddyer has X-rays and they proved negative but David Wright was having an MRI but haven't heard what the prognosis is for him.

Yeah cuddyer back in the line up last night but Wright gone to the DL. They're calling it a mild strain and saying he shouldn't be out too long but I've heard that from Mets trainers before and the guy ends up being out for months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thidp

What a horrible performance from Vargas now.

Advertisement