Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Eclipse Visible from Ireland - 20th March 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

Just caught a brief glimpse through the clouds which acted as a good filter so the eclipse was very evident to the naked eye. In Swords, Co Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Sky's moslty clear here in west cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Got a nice 20 minute period of clear sky in Courtown with some good shots. Very overcast now with what looks like rain on the way. I think that might have been it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's pretty dark. Shame about the thick cloud cover in Dublin. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pretty clear here in Cork. The cloud is actually helping filter out the brightest light from the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ollie103

Manages to track a slight break in the clouds and was ready for another brief viewing: impressive! All the better seeing as I saw absolutely nothing during the last eclipse (1999 I think). Solid grey clouds overhead now: that's it I'd say for Swords.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Overcast here in Leitrim :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

It's eerie here. Clear skies, 9.30am in the morning and it should be very bright outside. But, it's like dusk and it has gotten a lot colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Got a decent glimpse of it just now in Bray, but the clouds have just come over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Did anything even happen? I looked but didn't notice anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

miece16 wrote: »
    Did anything even happen? I looked but didn't notice anything

Yeah most of the sun was covered. Got darker and noticeably colder here.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

In Dublin it got a bit dark but thought it would be more so. But because of the cloud it was dark anyway and I saw nothing. Real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Cloud coverage actually turned out great! :D

Could look at it bare eyed from the office.

Got 1 break in the cloud which showed the real magnitude. Couldn't see anything with that as way to bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Could see the edge of the sun through the clouds up in donegal (ok I'm not supposed to look but it was through cloud)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I caught a glimpse of it when some thinner cloud passed over it briefly at about 9:28. I looked right at it through heavily squinted eyes. I'm going to go blind now. :(

It looked cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Lots of Cloud in Waterford only got a glimpse of it. Cloud helped to get a nice view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well that was an anti-climax:(....just like a dull morning nothing out of the ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

16683792780_98a25e2c1e_b.jpg

Cloud filter in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Peak of the eclipse from Cork (Not the best quality though):

part_2.jpg_zpsm41uaxje.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I caught a few glimpses through low lying cloud, which actually helped to provide enough cover to view. Got a good view from Navan and even managed to blindly grab a few poor pictures on an iPhone.

Specsavers will make a fortune out of this :p

Perhaps I should have cropped this, but you can still see the sun outline.
    IMG_4123.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Well, if the the light change on a fairly gloomy day is barely noticeable with 92% of the sun blocked we could plunge into a solar ice age and hardly notice any change in the light!

An underwhelming experience here in Dublin. The birds didn't even notice it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

got lucky in dublin 1

11082647_10153164409506798_3548159757168189379_n.jpg?oh=b1ff77d4944e49ce28005f264f28829b&oe=55BCEB14&__gda__=1433882361_25726e4e12c9b79c53551ad4807b3759

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well, if the the light change on a fairly gloomy day is barely noticeable with 92% of the sun blocked we could plunge into a solar ice age and hardly notice any change in the light!

Just wondering how you would possibly know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Had a perfectly clear view of it in Galway! The light was noticeably dimmer, but I was hoping that it would get so dark that the street lights would come on. No dice. And it was too bright to get a good photo without proper filters.

Zapho wrote: »
    Had a perfectly clear view of it in Galway! The light was noticeably dimmer, but I was hoping that it would get so dark that the street lights would come on. No dice. And it was too bright to get a good photo without proper filters.

There was never any totality expected here so it would not get fully dark so you would always have needed filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Clouds cleared here in Dublin 4 at the right moment to see maximum of the eclipse. Very dramatic and shared the view with work colleagues too.

My heart did sink when I got up this morning and was tempted to drive south of Dublin where the weather prospects seemed better. However, I stuck it out and it was nice share the event with others. We saw occasional glimpses of the Moon gradually creeping across the Sun and then got lucky for maximum. Even now, we can see good gaps in the cloud to catch the latter stages of the eclipse.

I was really surprised at the drop in light level as I've never experienced as deep a partial eclipse before that wasn't going to be total from my location!

Hope the eclipse chasers gone to the Faroes, Svalbard, and in the air, got lucky. The live-feed from the Faroes though suggests they had overcast skies.

John

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Clouds cleared here in Dublin 4 at the right moment to see maximum of the eclipse. Very dramatic and shared the view with work colleagues too.

My heart did sink when I got up this morning and was tempted to drive south of Dublin where the weather prospects seemed better. However, I stuck it out and it was nice share the event with others. We saw occasional glimpses of the Moon gradually creeping across the Sun and then got lucky for maximum. Even now, we can see good gaps in the cloud to catch the latter stages of the eclipse.

I was really surprised at the drop in light level as I've never experienced as deep a partial eclipse before that wasn't going to be total from my location!

Hope the eclipse chasers gone to the Faroes, Svalbard, and in the air, got lucky. The live-feed from the Faroes though suggests they had overcast skies.

John

Think Svalbard is the place to be, clear skies and totality happening soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My bird did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

kdwmbo.jpg

Pitty about the cloud cover >.<

a4vkf8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Zapho wrote: »
    Had a perfectly clear view of it in Galway! The light was noticeably dimmer, but I was hoping that it would get so dark that the street lights would come on.

wasn't that dark was it:( just dull

when will we have a 100% total eclipse in ireland??

Advertisement