Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Eclipse Visible from Ireland - 20th March 2015

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 40 Verified rep Ktec: Stephen

Ah, was that you! :pac:

Delighted it fits perfect.

Many thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will a welding mask suffice??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fryup wrote: »
    will a welding mask suffice??
    Does anybody read threads before asking questions these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

haven't got the time:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

endacl wrote: »
    Does anybody read threads before asking questions these days?
    Do we hope you didn't hit 4 instead of 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Aluminised polyester (or Mylar) does work well for camera viewing/pictures (not for eye viewing) a UV filter too to help protect, I've tried it today after not being able to get any solar filter paper.

It's fairly easy to pick up as it's used for emergency blankets so any outdoors shop has it, mine was €2.20 for enough for about 20/50 filters depending on size.

If you're really desperate Lidl 'Harvest Mash' comes in Mylar packets, it's about €1 for four packets (2 squares in each packet) I have a friend who is going to use this tomorrow and to quote "4 packets of mash. Each bag made of 2 squares of Mylar. About a quid in Lidl.
    Plus, the mash is super creamy made with milk and a knob of butter. Nice with baked beans!"

Here's my test shot hand held with the Aluminised polyester emergency blanket (2 layers) UV filter, ISO 100, 1/640th F8 on Sony A7 at 600mm and then cropped, sun spot and all!

162042BB827B49F8BEBED9D8BF490387-0000354423-0003743072-00800L-7B00AC163E6B4E389149E303443D1BEA.jpg

Now lets hope the cloud holds off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

A nice bit of blue sky here in Galway at the moment..... Bit early yet but alot more hopeful than I was an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

A nice bit of blue sky here in Galway at the moment..... Bit early yet but alot more hopeful than I was an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

muskyj wrote: »

I hope ye get to see it. It's the greyest day in a long time over here in Meath. Seriously depressing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I hope ye get to see it. It's the greyest day in a long time over here in Meath. Seriously depressing :(
    It's like this any time there is something interesting to watch! You couldn't make it up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It's not looking great

8p8MSc_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

In a last desperate attempt to get hold of the shades I was considering going out and attempt to mug a kid or elderly of his glasses, but I wonder if it is even worth it given the clouds? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 otoolepw

Hmmm no clear skys over Dublin, pesky clouds...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Getting a break in the clouds now over Cork City. At the very least we'll see the start of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I can see the sun....on stellarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Grey and raining in Dublin this morning so I drove down as far as Courtown watching the skies. There's the odd (small) patch of blue here but I'm not immensely optimistic right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Blue Sky's in Galway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Titus Andronicus

Actually raining here in Kildare, oh well, tv it is so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Typical clear skies leading up to today....

It's a cruel world! :(

Small piece of the sun missing now!!!!

• Advertisement

It begins!!!

Part_1_zpsvfn0odjl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

It begins!!!

Part_1_zpsvfn0odjl.png

Damn clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I left my glasses at home. Might get out on the quaya in a while with my camera.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭obriendj

Is there any stream online that is showing the event? I know BBC 2 have star gazing live but cant access BBC outside UK

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TripleL

BBC News website will have a webcam that goes live in 5 minutes. Can't post link as I'm a newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

obriendj wrote: »
    Is there any stream online that is showing the event? I know BBC 2 have star gazing live but cant access BBC outside UK

Sky News are covering this in totality. (See what I did there!)!

Sky News link

Also, you need to check out Hola and add it to your browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Alot of blue here now in East Cork right on time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Getting glimpses of it in Bray and if all goes well there seems to be a nice break on the way in the clouds for a short period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

obriendj wrote: »

Advertisement