Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Eclipse Visible from Ireland - 20th March 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭HoneyBee78

rxan90 wrote: »
    The Astronomy shop in Airside (Scopes and Space), however, told me they will have them tomorrow for about a fiver.

Any idea if they still have these? Tried phoning but no answer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

By the way the weather is going, i wouldn't be surprised if we're doused in fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Not over Yosemite but it will be total over Yellowstone.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2017Aug21Tgoogle.html

More detailed maps available from http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/maps.htm
    Brilliant, never been there, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Taylor365 wrote: »
    By the way the weather is going, i wouldn't be surprised if we're doused in fog!

If the fog is thick enough then you'd be able to see it with the naked eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Lads, could anyone tell me which issue of Sky at Night I should be looking for. I've seen April's issue, but without the shades. Should it be the March issue I should be looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Lads, could anyone tell me which issue of Sky at Night I should be looking for. I've seen April's issue, but without the shades. Should it be the March issue I should be looking for?

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/magazine/past-issues

March it looks like, pic of cover there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/magazine/past-issues

March it looks like, pic of cover there anyway.

The March cover isn't showing up on the mobile site. Looks like I'm a day too late, the April issue came out today and Tesco and Porters in Wilton have the new issue stocked. Might try the City (Cork) later on if I get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

ThunderCat wrote: »
    If the fog is thick enough then you'd be able to see it with the naked eye.
    Very true. Just be careful and watch for clear patches coming.

The March cover isn't showing up on the mobile site. Looks like I'm a day too late, the April issue came out today and Tesco and Porters in Wilton have the new issue stocked. Might try the City (Cork) later on if I get a chance.
    They always have the extra copies in the back room, been that way forever with Easons, even months later Ive been able to get back issues of magazines by asking at customer service, maybe thats changed though, gave up buying printed paper years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Just went into Easons in The Pavilion in Swords to find Sky At Night. No copies. Maybe I should have asked for some in the back. Dammit. First eclipse in years and I can't find glasses/didn't try find any sooner. Damn my laziness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rxan90

HoneyBee78 wrote: »
    Any idea if they still have these? Tried phoning but no answer :(

I just popped in about half one. The shop seemed to be closed and the guy inside told me that they were still waiting on a delivery if them, which is why he shut up shop in the first place. I gave him my number so he could call me when they arrive but failing that, he told me I could just go to the Phoenix Park event and he would hold a pair for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

rxan90 wrote: »
    I just popped in about half one. The shop seemed to be closed and the guy inside told me that they were still waiting on a delivery if them, which is why he shut up shop in the first place. I gave him my number so he could call me when they arrive but failing that, he told me I could just go to the Phoenix Park event and he would hold a pair for me.

I called him this morning and he told me that they have none left and that they have a limited number of them for people in Phoenix Park so people will have to share. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Also posted in another tread but,

Would it not be better just to point you phone at the sun and look at it on your through your camera?? Maybe put the phone into a cardboard box with a hole for the camera and to cover your face?

If your worried about your camera and imager use an old camera phone.

What do you expect to see doing that though? Camera phones cant handle looking directly at the sun, you need filters. Either get the glasses, go to an event where they will have solar scopes or make a pinhole viewer out of a shoebox or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ForestFire wrote: »
    Also posted in another tread but,

Would it not be better just to point you phone at the sun and look at it on your through your camera?? Maybe put the phone into a cardboard box with a hole for the camera and to cover your face?

If your worried about your camera and imager use an old camera phone.

Because that'd be entirely pointless. And you'd look like a tool. With your face in a box. Looking at a washed out white screen.

If you do that, please post pics of you doing it so we can all have a giggle.

:)

endacl wrote: »
    Because that'd be entirely pointless. And you'd look like a tool. With your face in a box. Looking at a washed out white screen.

If you do that, please post pics of you doing it so we can all have a giggle.

:)

Even with ND filters, at the 90% mark?

Even with ND filters, at the 90% mark?

Why the box, though?!?

There are better ways to get a better view for less effort. Search back through the thread. There's a useful link it two posted. If you want to watch on a screen, check out any of the many live streams that will be running, or watch an image the size of a plate using the projection method.

Also, the image on a phone screen will be so tiny it'd be close to useless.

Why the box, though?!?

There are better ways to get a better view for less effort. Search back through the thread. There's a useful link it two posted. If you want to watch on a screen, check out any of the many live streams that will be running, or watch an image the size of a plate using the projection method.

Well I already have google glasses so the box is already sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

The portion of the Sun remaining will still overwhelm the camera sensor on most camera phones as it will be too bright.

Basically, the goal is to try photograph or view a scene in which one part is dark (the Moon) and the other is very bright (the Sun). The human eye is far better at comparing with this variation in brightness, a camera sensor is not unless, as the others have said, a suitable filter is used to dim the bright Sun.

Generally you'll see a lot of pixel bleed/flaring on your phone screen if you point it at the Sun and so are unlikely to see anything at all of the eclipse that way.

I stand to be corrected though but what I've said above is what I believe will be all that is seen on a camera phone if anyone tries that technique.

John

P.S., just saw the note about ND filters. Fred Espenak has a mention of ND filter usage at http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

Stargazing live special on BBC1 Fri Morn at 9.

Live coverage from the Faroe islands, no need to go outside at all.

• Advertisement

no need to go outside at all.

Sad fact of modern life: people think this is a good thing.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Sure go onto youtube and you can experience anything without getting up from the sofa!!

It is!

Unless you live up North or down South it's what we'll all fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Forecast is pretty grim. Heavy cloud over most of the country. The far south and south east might be ok. Hopefully it won't be as bad as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Forecast is pretty grim. Heavy cloud over most of the country. The far south and south east might be ok. Hopefully it won't be as bad as that.

Yeah. Packing my gear now in anticipation of an early start South-bound (Wicklow or perhaps as far as Wexford) tomorrow morning looking for clear skies. I've been looking forward to this for a while and would be pretty disappointed if it all came to naught :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

In '97 I hooked my video camera up to the tv and watched it through that, the weather really helped though as it was cloudy and helped the camera focus.
    Judging by the forecast this could be an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Not looking good for Dublin... Cloudy again, an astronomers enemy :mad: Little white fluffy clouds are going to wreak it again.

se2015mar20t.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

But in all seriousness, is there anything you can mock up at home to make for relatively safe viewing?

mt-2003-projection-normal.jpg

Seanie.

• Company Representative Posts: 40 Verified rep Ktec: Stephen

Eclipse viewers are all but impossible to get hold of these last few days.

Suppliers in Germany and the UK have also been out of stock.

We have 1, yes just 1, 12" x 12" sheet of Solar Filter Paper left, in addition to a few Solar Filters, specific to certain telescopes.

Demand has been out the door this past fortnight, and today was incredibly busy with last minute collections.

Please pay particular attention to the various methods mentioned that are safe.

Dont take any chances with your eyes, its not worth it.

Stephen.

• Advertisement

Eclipse viewers are all but impossible to get hold of these last few days.

Suppliers in Germany and the UK have also been out of stock.

We have 1, yes just 1, 12" x 12" sheet of Solar Filter Paper left, in addition to a few Solar Filters, specific to certain telescopes.

Demand has been out the door this past fortnight, and today was incredibly busy with last minute collections.

Please pay particular attention to the various methods mentioned that are safe.

Dont take any chances with your eyes, its not worth it.

Stephen.

Filter for the etx70 fits like a glove. Thanks Stephen.

I'll take this opportunity to highly recommend you!

Advertisement