Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo/Leitrim General Election! 2015/2016?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Laurel_Patente

I live in Donegal, have had one canvassing team around so far (Nigel Gallagher from PBP) and the canvasser was well able to give his spiel about what his candidate stood for. Will consider him for a preference even if I wouldn't exactly share his policies.

Have had two seperate leaflets left in for Tony McLoughlin even when I've been in the house, poor form like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I live in Donegal, have had one canvassing team around so far (Nigel Gallagher from PBP) and the canvasser was well able to give his spiel about what his candidate stood for. Will consider him for a preference even if I wouldn't exactly share his policies.

Have had two seperate leaflets left in for Tony McLoughlin even when I've been in the house, poor form like.

Hah, I had him (Nigel Gallagher) at the door, I asked him if the get rid of water charges what would they do with the network of meters installed across the country, at first he didn't have an answer. Then when I asked could they be used to encourage people to conserve water he suggested people could be given an allowance to stick to... I.e. water charges!

I also asked after they raise corporate taxes to pay for services and the corporates move elsewhere what the plan was then. He reckoned even if big ones like Google relocate, the likes of Abbvie and Elanco would pay the higher taxes. Two weeks later Elanco is gone, without any tax hike needed.

Also had one of the Fianna Fáilers in but didn't have time to tackle him. One of Tony McLaughlin's people was around too and in fairness when I mentioned an issue I'd brought to the TD was able to remember the details and the outcome. He'll sit above Perry on my list, but they're still both near the bottom :)

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Kinda surprised this has not came up yet either on this thread, general chit chat, stores closing/opening, OConnell St, or the Hughes Bridge threads. But seen on social media that Tony McLaughlin of Fine Gael had announced the News of 2 million worth of funding for community development in Cranmore, and the long awaited OConnell Street redevelopment. In the same conversation it was also mentioned that the 'empty' north bound lane on Hughes Bridge would be opened when improvements are completed as far a the Rosses Point junction.

Now dont know about the Cranmore developments, but I wonder would the OConnell Street plans do anything for the current state of empty units around town, counted at least 11 or 12 on OConnell street alone today, cant remember if that included Bodricks/The Irish House. Or is the empty units and the chamberr of commerce something that local government be focusing on first, then redevelopment of the towns streets.

Or is it all just pre election hype.

That shouldn't really have much to do with national elections though, leave for local government and keep the gombeenism out of Leinster House. That's how Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael have dominated Irish politics - people don't like the national policy but reckon the local guy is the 'exception'. No he bloody isn't, he's the problem!

Meanwhile the left never build momentum because they turn on whichever other left-wing party ended up as a junior member of government and had to compromise to get some things done.

The likes of Sinn Féin and PBP are running their hands in glee at the thought of Labour's destruction when the real problem for them are the majority centre-right parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Can anyone tell me who are the better/stronger of the local independents running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Can anyone tell me who are the better/stronger of the local independents running?

There are 6 independents altogether. I wouldn't give 4 a chance. It's all relatively subjective though.

In my opinion Declan Bree could poll well and be in with a chance. Then Marie Casserrly could do okay too. Although the fact she doesn't state her position on almost every issue seems to irritate people, rightly so in my opinion.

I think the debates will be good. Ocean usually have them so it could help give an insight.

• Advertisement

Quick question, has anyone here spoken with a candidate yet at the doorstep?

Quick question, has anyone here spoken with a candidate yet at the doorstep?

Not yet, haven't had any call since last week. McSharry's representatives just put a leaflet through the door and didn't look to speak with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

I heard my letterbox in Manorhamilton at 8.20am last sunday week. Pamphlet for FG. They certainly weren't up for engaging with the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

No candidates in sight in Collooney; I work from home and someone would be here to answer the door pretty much all the time.

iamnotme wrote: »
    I heard my letterbox in Manorhamilton at 8.20am last sunday week. Pamphlet for FG. They certainly weren't up for engaging with the electorate.

Ye got the same yesterday morning only difference was that the postman delivered it.

• Advertisement

Declan Bree was out in force tonight with his leaflet: https://www.facebook.com/VoteDeclanBree1/posts/1746032278960644

Not impressed.

Heard yesterday morning the Ocean debates are taking place. There are 2 nights for Sligo-Leitrim.

Taking place next week in the Glasshouse on Tuesday and Wednesday. A timetable of candidates for both nights is here: http://oceanfm.ie/election-debates-2016/

Heard yesterday morning the Ocean debates are taking place. There are 2 nights for Sligo-Leitrim.

Taking place next week in the Glasshouse on Tuesday and Wednesday. A timetable of candidates for both nights is here: http://oceanfm.ie/election-debates-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only found this out by accident yesterday. No labour representation tonight though.

Hmm.

Surprised no knock on the door today or last night from local candidates promoting it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

So what's the story with this Marie Casserly? I've seen loads of her posters around S. Sligo but I haven't a clue about her. Leftie? Rightie? Center? Former party member??

Only found this out by accident yesterday. No labour representation tonight though.

Hmm.

Surprised no knock on the door today or last night from local candidates promoting it either.

Susan O'Keefe is on tomorrow for Labour. 18 candidates over two nights. 9 tonight and 9 tomorrow.

Starting at 8pm tonight at the Glasshouse. Advised to be seated for 7:45. Free entry in case that was a blockade for attendance and it will be streamed through YouTube. Link on OceanFm.ie
    (Sending bill for PR to Ocean).

Jayop wrote: »
    So what's the story with this Marie Casserly? I've seen loads of her posters around S. Sligo but I haven't a clue about her. Leftie? Rightie? Center? Former party member??

If I start on this I may never stop. She is part of the debate tonight so maybe we will hear where she stands. However I think we will get a perfect reason why she is to be avoided, if she shows up tonight. She 'missed' the debate in 2014 for the locals.

If I start on this I may never stop. She is part of the debate tonight so maybe we will hear where she stands. However I think we will get a perfect reason why she is to be avoided, if she shows up tonight. She 'missed' the debate in 2014 for the locals.

I did that whichcandidate thing last night and it was kinda interesting. Her views were kinda inline with mine on a lot of issues, but as an Independent it's pretty easy to say that.

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/events/5/constituencies/45/candidates/286

I was amazed when I got a 74% match with Nigel Gallagher. Like Casserly I don't really know anything about the candidate himself, where he's from, who he really is beyond the rhetoric.

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/events/5/constituencies/45/candidates/602

Susan O'Keefe is on tomorrow for Labour. 18 candidates over two nights. 9 tonight and 9 tomorrow.

Starting at 8pm tonight at the Glasshouse. Advised to be seated for 7:45. Free entry in case that was a blockade for attendance and it will be streamed through YouTube. Link on OceanFm.ie
    (Sending bill for PR to Ocean).

Seen that, still a shame that all the major parties are still not represented both nights though for people who can only make one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I did that whichcandidate thing last night and it was kinda interesting. Her views were kinda inline with mine on a lot of issues, but as an Independent it's pretty easy to say that.

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/events/5/constituencies/45/candidates/286

I was amazed when I got a 74% match with Nigel Gallagher. Like Casserly I don't really know anything about the candidate himself, where he's from, who he really is beyond the rhetoric.

http://www.whichcandidate.ie/events/5/constituencies/45/candidates/602

I just tried the Which Candidate link and found I matched 57% with Fianna Fail candidates and Leslie O'Hora (Green) and only 14% with Fine Gael candidates (with all of the others somewhere in the middle). I didn't know there was such a difference in their policies...

• Advertisement

I just tried the Which Candidate link and found I matched 57% with Fianna Fail candidates and only 14% with Fine Gael candidates (with all of the others somewhere in the middle). I didn't know there was such a difference in their policies...

The two SF candidates in Sligo look to have exactly the same answers and even the some notes on all their answers so it looks like they're done centrally rather than being the candidates own opinions. It would be interesting ot know do all the main parties do that.

I was closer to FF than FG but neither were much of a match. That Bernie O'Hara was a 3% match :pac: I'm surprised I had even that much in common with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

The two SF candidates in Sligo look to have exactly the same answers and even the some notes on all their answers so it looks like they're done centrally rather than being the candidates own opinions. It would be interesting ot know do all the main parties do that.

I was closer to FF than FG but neither were much of a match. That Bernie O'Hara was a 3% match :pac: I'm surprised I had even that much in common with her.

Jaysus, now I'm worried!! I checked back, I had 29% match for Casserly, Renua, Sinn Fein, Susan O'Keeffe and your Bernie...

I'd guess all of the Party ones are written centrally: sure you couldn't expect the candidates to think for themselves?

Seen that, still a shame that all the major parties are still not represented both nights though for people who can only make one or the other.

Fianna Fáil, Labour, Fine Gael and Sinn Fein will all have representatives tonight and tomorrow.

I reckon that encompasses all parties :D

Did that test, max relation I got to any Candidate was 50%.

Did that test, max relation I got to any Candidate was 50%.

Don't leave us hanging. :D

Don't leave us hanging. :D

Not quite the Candidates I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm not eligible to vote this election (not a citizen yet), but I took the test anyway for educational purposes and to "advise" my husband :D

I had no idea where I stood politically in Ireland. But I scored a 76% match with Leslie O'Hora, and where I disagreed with him, it wasn't complete disagreement.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm not eligible to vote this election (not a citizen yet), but I took the test anyway for educational purposes and to "advise" my husband :D

I had no idea where I stood politically in Ireland. But I scored a 76% match with Leslie O'Hora, and where I disagreed with him, it wasn't complete disagreement.

I just realized that I hadn't done all issues when I read O'Hora's answers. Yeah i wouldn't be a million miles away from that, however they like Labour had their chance to form a government and push the leftist agenda and failed miserably. All the greens left as a lasting legacy was a two tier motor tax system that was punitive to those who can't afford newer cars.

After reading some of the profiles I have looked over the questions again with some more thought. I am even less in line now with the Candidates.

My vote though has moved in a more general direction, and am slightly the wiser following reading of the profiles and last nights debate. Hopefully tonight's local debate will be informative at least.

• Advertisement

It's on live now. I missed the start of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_wDwzJAxsQ

Advertisement