Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo/Leitrim General Election! 2015/2016?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

I know we're probably a year out from it, but the first declared runner was selected at the Sinn Féin convention yesterday.

Leitrim County Councillor Martin Kenny defeated former Sligo Borough Councillor Chris MacManus following Deputy Michael Colreavy's decision not to seek another term.

The new constituency is a 4-seater which take sin all of counties Sligo and Leitrim as well as a part of South Donegal from Bundoran to Laghey, and a sizeable portion of West Cavan -from Blacklion to within 6 miles of Cavan Town.

Michael Comiskey is the only person so far to publicly state that he will be seeking the nomination, but Leitrim Cllr John McCartin has hinted that he will be putting himself forward. The two sitting Fine Gaelers have been getting busy on the publicity front lately, so one could assume that both intend on running again.

Marc MacSharry has said he will seek the FF nomination. It's likely that at least one Leitrim councillor will put themselves forward and there is talk of John Paul Feehily, a Blacklion based councillor running.

Presume O'Keefe will run for labour.

It's almost certain that there will be one seat each for FF, FG & SF and it's anyone's guess as to who will take the last one.

As it stands I can't think of any strong Independent who would be able to take votes right across the constituency to be in with a chance, but one could emerge in the next few months.

As I said, I realise it could be over a year away, but hopefully we can keep this thread going from now up until the election, whenever that may be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Woohoo! Coming up to time of more promises, only to have them revoked for whatever reason when they are elected....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I'm surprised to see the selection of Kenny over McManus, but I do not know enough about either candidate to pass well founded comment. However I would have thought that McManus was nailed on for selection. Any comments on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I know we're probably a year out from it, but the first declared runner was selected at the Sinn Féin convention yesterday.

Leitrim County Councillor Martin Kenny defeated former Sligo Borough Councillor Chris MacManus following Deputy Michael Colreavy's decision not to seek another term.

The new constituency is a 4-seater which take sin all of counties Sligo and Leitrim as well as a part of South Donegal from Bundoran to Laghey, and a sizeable portion of West Cavan -from Blacklion to within 6 miles of Cavan Town.

Michael Comiskey is the only person so far to publicly state that he will be seeking the nomination, but Leitrim Cllr John McCartin has hinted that he will be putting himself forward. The two sitting Fine Gaelers have been getting busy on the publicity front lately, so one could assume that both intend on running again.

Marc MacSharry has said he will seek the FF nomination. It's likely that at least one Leitrim councillor will put themselves forward and there is talk of John Paul Feehily, a Blacklion based councillor running.

Presume O'Keefe will run for labour.

It's almost certain that there will be one seat each for FF, FG & SF and it's anyone's guess as to who will take the last one.

As it stands I can't think of any strong Independent who would be able to take votes right across the constituency to be in with a chance, but one could emerge in the next few months.

As I said, I realise it could be over a year away, but hopefully we can keep this thread going from now up until the election, whenever that may be.

Interested to see how the new boundaries play out.

ie. Will candiates based in Bundoran and Blacklion have Sligo issues on the top of their agenda and visa versa.

May want to make this a sticky replacing the last election thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Kettleson wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see the selection of Kenny over McManus, but I do not know enough about either candidate to pass well founded comment. However I would have thought that McManus was nailed on for selection. Any comments on that?

There would be a large SF membership in Kenny's area. The party ran 3 candidates there in the locals, taking two of the six seats. The third candidate, though unsuccessful got a sizeable vote as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

There would be a large SF membership in Kenny's area. The party ran 3 candidates there in the locals, taking two of the six seats. The third candidate, though unsuccessful got a sizeable vote as well.

There was a lot of Sinn Fein members at the election convention, most came from Leitrim and Cavan, there is talk of running two candidates yet, But nothing decided

• Advertisement

I see Deputy Perry is in the news for the wrong reasons again.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0319/688129-john-perry/

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Are FG gonna let this fool run again.how many more times can he pull the Micky,or maybe let's see him humillatied at the ballot box.

Eamon Scanlon and Marc MacSharry selected at the Fianna Fail convention in Manorhamilton earlier tonight.

Seems madness for them to run two Sligo based candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Eamon Scanlon and Marc MacSharry selected at the Fianna Fail convention in Manorhamilton earlier tonight.

I would imagine Scanlon will concentrate on John Perry voters, and Macsharry will target the town. I think sinn fein have huge support in Leitrim so tactically its prob better to do as they did. Fine Gael very vulnerable at present between Perry and McLoughlin, who may not run again...be a lively contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

So the rats are returning to the ship!
    Lets not forget the FF legacy we're left with for the next 30+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

red sean wrote: »
    So the rats are returning to the ship!
    Lets not forget the FF legacy we're left with for the next 30+ years.

No we shouldn't forget about them, nor should we forget about the forked tongued lackeys in FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Another runner: http://oceanfm.ie/independent-marie-casserly-to-run-for-dail-in-sligo-leitrim/
    Must think shes still as popular as last year, or playing the 'womens vote' card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

slight tangent.
    When the results for the Referendum were announced for cavan monaghan/ leitrm sligo, was this the new or old constituency borders ?

The maps on RTE had west cavan in Cavan/ Monaghan, which I thought should already be in the new constituency

slight tangent.
    When the results for the Referendum were announced for cavan monaghan/ leitrm sligo, was this the new or old constituency borders ?

The maps on RTE had west cavan in Cavan/ Monaghan, which I thought should already be in the new constituency

They were the old constituency. The new constiuency doesn't come into effect until the next GE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Another runner: http://oceanfm.ie/independent-marie-casserly-to-run-for-dail-in-sligo-leitrim/
    Must think shes still as popular as last year, or playing the 'womens vote' card.

Does anyone know where she actually stands on any single issue of importance?

She hasn't a hope. She'll probably be the strongest independent in the constituency, but the constituency is way too big for anyone to get elected without a party machine behind them.

Not to mention the fact that she abstains on most important votes at council level.

Even if I completely disagree with somebody stance on something, I'll at least respect their view. I've no respect for anybody who continually sits on the fence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I'm open to other opinions, but I presume it'll be:

1x FG
    1x FF
    1x SF

and somebody else? Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭JTL

I'm that disillusioned with politics in Ireland I can't see myself using my vote this time around.

JTL wrote: »
    I'm that disillusioned with politics in Ireland I can't see myself using my vote this time around.

That's a great attitude

It's not but can you blame me? There is certainly no candidate in our area that I would consider giving a vote to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Does anyone know where she actually stands on any single issue of importance?

In reference to Casserly, does anyone know where she stands on any big issues?

She seems to be running on a 'pro-tourism' platform. Nothing of any substance has come from her, even council issues she seems to stay on the fence. Who could elect someone likely to abstain from major voting issues?

JTL wrote: »
    It's not but can you blame me? There is certainly no candidate in our area that I would consider giving a vote to.

I'm a member of a party, so I vote for the candidate we put forward, but if I had no party loyalties there are 2-3 candidates who I would have no problem voting for.

You're just one of those people who there's no pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

In reference to Casserly, does anyone know where she stands on any big issues?

She seems to be running on a 'pro-tourism' platform. Nothing of any substance has come from her, even council issues she seems to stay on the fence. Who could elect someone likely to abstain from major voting issues?

I don't know much about her but some one in the Sligo champion is a big fan of hers she is photographed in it every single week.im guessing she's one of these who stands in photos at any opertunity kisses baby's heads and attends funerals.but never tackles real issues.

I always vote for the person who I think can do the most for regular people have an eye on jobs and improving the local economy and infrastructure.
    Also I would love to see a common person representing us none of these teachers,solicitors,doctors that the daily seems to be full off.sadly our system doesn't let the regular person excell in politics.

sligono1 wrote: »
    I don't know much about her but some one in the Sligo champion

It's been said...

5 minutes on Google will get you the answer to that.

I'm a member of a party, so I vote for the candidate we put forward, but if I had no party loyalties there are 2-3 candidates who I would have no problem voting for.

You're just one of those people who there's no pleasing.

Far from it. Willing to be proven wrong but I doubt it.

You are a member of a party - use the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

sligono1 wrote: »

I always vote for the person who I think can do the most for regular people have an eye on jobs and improving the local economy and infrastructure.
    Also I would love to see a common person representing us none of these teachers,solicitors,doctors that the daily seems to be full off.sadly our system doesn't let the regular person excell in politics.

TDs should be national legislators.

It's the Councillors that should "be improving the local economy".

People should not vote in a national election, based on local issues.

Local issues are for the local elections.

Sinn Fein have announced that they will be running a second candidate.

The candidate will be based in the Sligo/Donegal part of the constituency.

Convention to take place on August 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,479 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sinn Fein have announced that they will be running a second candidate.

The candidate will be based in the Sligo/Donegal part of the constituency.

Convention to take place on August 4th.

Any chance they could let us know the whereabouts of the first one? Colreavy has developed powers of invisibility since 2011.

Any chance they could let us know the whereabouts of the first one? Colreavy has developed powers of invisibility since 2011.

Colreavy said months ago he won't be standing in the forthcoming elections. Martin Kenny is the first SF candidate selected.

Personally I prefer actually scrutiny of someone's political stance or achievements than to cliched remarks.
    (Sadly I feel it's necessary to say I'm not a SF supporter. Just in case).

• Advertisement

He is in the top quarter of all TDs as regards contributions to dail debates.

He has by far the the most local media appearances of the three TDs in the constituency. The other 2 have only reappeared in the last 10 months or so, though in fairness Tony was sick for a while.

He holds regular clinics throughout the constituency and his office in Sligo is staffed 4-5 days a week, as is his office in Manorhamilton.

What exactly is your issue with him? Do you want him to call to your house personally or something?

Advertisement