Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decent morning radio listening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Jesus radio in the morning is absolute horse ****.
    I can't use my mp3 player at the minute so I'm being forced to listen to what they call 'banter' and 'craic'. I'm not a morning person at all, I don't want to laugh in the mornings, so why are you even trying? I don't want to hear your stupid impersonations or a ****ty ****ing quiz where you you give the answers out anyway.

Would it be that hard to just play some music? iRadio are the worse offenders in my opinion. They've got two gormless presenters called Cooper and Una who aren't funny at all but the thing is they think they are. Una thinks it's great making prank calls in the same ****ing voice every morning. Just cop on to yourself Una.

I just listen to Lyric FM now with Marty Whelan. He is there by himself so just does a bit of talking and plays a song, so that suits me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I use TuneIn radio on the phone and listen to various stations around the world.

Be a bit adventurous, listen to radio from Africa, US etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

John Murray will turn me to drink. What a fcuking drip.

I like Ivan and Chris for my bit of news, controversial views, and well-intended misogyny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

conorh91 wrote: »
    John Murray will turn me to drink. What a fcuking drip.

I like Ivan and Chris for my bit of news, controversial views, and well-intended misogyny.

Considering Ivan and Chris have already been on air for two hours when John Murray starts and are still on for another hour, it would seem that you are actively switching from a programme you like in order to listen to someone who annoys you.

Why?

Bit unfair to come on here and post abuse about the man when you obviously change stations to listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Lapin wrote: »
    Considering Ivan and Chris have already been on air for two hours when John Murray starts and are still on for another hour, it would seem that you are actively switching from a programme you like in order to listen to someone who annoys you.

Why?

Bit unfair to come on here and post abuse about the man when you obviously change stations to listen to him.
    I listen to morning Ireland when I wake up around 7.30am. At 9am, I'm usually driving along and John Murray comes on. At that time I switch to Newstalk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

There is definitely a gap there for something lighter hearted but I hate the over enthusiastic goofball comedy especially in the morn. Depending on whats going in the world the more serious side of morn radio is tops with a plethro of stations to pick from but yeah some morns I just don't need all that with the cold and dreary..... So then its mp3 time, blasting out those 90 hits with a decent coffee.... had the Soundgarden in this morn on the way to studio! black hole sun dum de dum....Good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Yearning4Stormy

If you want nonsensical muck, 2FM from about 7am to 7am the following day, everyday.

Gold, Lapin, gold :)

Chris and Ivan for me... their wonderful banter softens the (usually depressing) news. (Slightly OT, but I'd love to listen to Montcrieff in the AM, tbh; only rarely catch the end of his show before that arse, Hook, babbles away.)

Newstalk FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

TXFM. Great morning show, awesome music, calm DJ, music news for Dublin and the country, no 'zany' twats at all.

Used to listen to newstalk every morning for years and found myself feeling uber depressed after it, news is depressing. I get enough of it on the hour and if I want to find out more I'll read about it somewhere.

2fm 104 98 spin etc all diarrhoea trying to be American for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

If you want news. The Today programme on BBC Radio 4.

Ah yes, the listenership here in Ireland can be identified by the folded copy of the Guardian under their arm (banner facing outwards of course) and their "I'd pay for the BBC if I could"/"Cameron's bedroom tax is destroying London" ice-breakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

BBC radio 4 is consistently good in the mornings, from the Today show up until Women's Hour:o

This ^

Radio 4 is the business for me.

I remember years ago trying to get it on Long Wave. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

But now we have Tunein Radio and so on. MAGIC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

104s prank calls with 'dim Tony' are not funny... It wastes the time of the poor person answering the call but also makes fun who might not be all that bright. It's pathetic and immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I listen to nova til half 4 then its over to Matt Cooper

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Chris and Ivan are nauseating. Listen to mornin Ireland sometimes but mostly just blare me tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

c_man wrote: »
    Ah yes, the listenership here in Ireland can be identified by the folded copy of the Guardian under their arm (banner facing outwards of course) and their "I'd pay for the BBC if I could"/"Cameron's bedroom tax is destroying London" ice-breakers.

The Grauniad is for lefties who are so PC they are afraid to say anything.

And some of their columnists are so far off the wall it is unreal.

But sometimes, the Travel Section is amusing, and the Food section too. That's about it for the G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Shandashey wrote: »
    That Jim Jim on FM104 makes me want to punch myself in the face whenever I hear him. His face matches his radio persona perfectly too. Punchable

What kind of mature, self respecting adult would give himself the title of jim jim
    :confused:

Ruth and paddy make me want to do harmful things to society lol..the two token culchies for the 'culchie coppers going' generation still in awe of being in the big shmoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

BBC R4 Today and then Newstalk Breakfast

Morning Ireland is like being stuck back in the classroom being lectured to by teachers with no experience of the real world

c_man wrote: »

The FT may be printed on pink paper but the Guardian is 100% dyed in the leftie pinko blood.

It's more of the print cousin of C4 (when it was watchable) than BBC Radio 4.

As for the bedroom tax. It is destroying a lot of lives. Even in the wilderness that exists beyond the M25.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

Christ and Ivan are excellent until 9am then our local station has a two hour chat show which can be either very informative or deadly boring but usually ok.morning radio is far superior to morning television.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

According to every breakfast radio show on the planet the early morning is the ideal time to force feed people humour and discuss "hilarious" YouTube videos, or discuss the depressing reality of political and economic matters on the more grown up stations.
    The only one I enjoy and that bucks that trend somewhat is the live drive show (mornings and evenings) on Dublin city Fm which is traffic reports and usually really good music, simple, useful and enjoyable radio.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What this country is in bad need of is an easy listening station!

Why do stations now feel they need both male & female to host a show?

Women are fine for news reading but add nothing in the overall dimension!

Back to the man question I suppose & my suggestion would be Lyric fm.

Marty might not be to everyone's taste & some of his music choices can

be a little self indulgent but I do enjoy the show & I only switch it off when

the story time comes on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

A rough guide......

If you want news. The Today programme on BBC Radio 4.

If you want laid back news, Chris and Ivan on Newstalk.

If you want to keep updated on farm protests and Heathrow slots, RTÉ Radio 1, Morning Ireland.

If you want easily listening nonsensical muck, Marty on Lyric is your man.

If you want nonsensical muck, 2FM from about 7am to 7am the following day, everyday.

If you want music you like, use your own MP3 player.

If you want to know if you're still alive, tune into you're local radio station after the news.

Got your stations mixed up a bit there, I'm afraid. Bring back Lorcan/Trish and all will be forgiven. Eventually.
    Christ and Ivan are excellent until 9am then our local station has a two hour chat show which can be either very informative or deadly boring but usually ok.morning radio is far superior to morning television.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

As a programme to listen to just after waking up, why is Morning Ireland the most nihilistic, bleak, despondant programme imaginable?

Despondent nihilism is all I can handle first thing in the morning.

Though they did devote about ten minutes a couple of weeks ago to some EastEnders episode, I was horrified. It was almost cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

biko wrote: »
    I use TuneIn radio on the phone and listen to various stations around the world.

Be a bit adventurous, listen to radio from Africa, US etc :)
    Yeah agree with tunein,great for browsing different stations

I had no problem with the morning shows on 2FM until Colm and Jim Jim came along. They had music and chat with no forced hilarity or muppetry. Since then I wouldn't dare go near the station in the morning (and nowadays I wouldn't go near it at all).

Shortly afterwards I just gave up on morning radio completely. Why can't there just be a normal show on in the morning?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Got your stations mixed up a bit there, I'm afraid.
    Which stations did I get mixed up?
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Bring back Lorcan/Trish and all will be forgiven. Eventually.:D
    Who are they ?

That's some promotion !

Although I'm not sure who appreciates it more. Chris or Christ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Anton Savage is a very good replacement to Ray Darcy

Light entertainment, good interview style...no major doses of doom and gloom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

BBC R4 Today and then Newstalk Breakfast

Morning Ireland is like being stuck back in the classroom being lectured to by teachers with no experience of the real world

Astute observation about Morning Ireland there, Sept.

To me, everything on Morning Ireland sounds like it is a bad translation of a boring monologue from a cold, distant and irrelevant morgue.

Should be renamed to Moaning Ireland! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Radio nova

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Karsini wrote: »
    Should be renamed to Moaning Ireland! :pac:

But then what would we call Liveline?

Advertisement