Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decent morning radio listening

Options
  • 02-03-2015 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Is there any decent stations?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Alot of decent stations, its the presenters are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No. Not since Lyric let Marty Fecking Whelan have the morning slot.

Why is morning radio so dire? Why do the presenters have to be so fecking wacky? Can they not just play some nice music to soothe you into the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

In the pale I assume? Cause you always know someone is the pale when they don't specifiy their location for something largely regional

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is it just me or are some of the RTE radio stations drearily depressing early in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I like Ian Dempsey. It's light entertainment, music a bit of a laugh, switch your brain off stuff. No heavy news and doom and gloom, no boring sport or current affairs. Don't need that first thing in the morning.
    I used to listen to Newstalk in the morning when it was Claire Byrne and Ger what's his face, but then Claire left and was replaced by Ivan Yeates. Then it became politics and sport and Ivan's sexist ignorant nonsense, and that was the end of that for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

gozunda wrote: »
    Is it just me or are some of the RTE radio stations drearily depressing early in the morning?

Not just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Cormac... wrote: »
    In the pale I assume? Cause you always know someone is the pale when they don't specifiy their location for something largely regional

London actually, im not restricting geographically, online radio via my laptop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

As a programme to listen to just after waking up, why is Morning Ireland the most nihilistic, bleak, despondant programme imaginable?

lufties wrote: »

LBC then is your man.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kneemos wrote: »
    LBC then is your man.

Or BBCR2. Although i would usally wait till after 9.30 when Chris Evens is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Considering almost every radio station broadcasts online too. I don't see how it matters where the OP is from.

OP, I recommend the trying out some of the morning shows from Sierra Leone. They're on GMT, so no real issues with an early wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is Nick Abbot back on LBC?

He was good for passing an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Marty Whelan is grand, imo. He doesn't have too many fans on the radio forum here, but his listenership has increased. But, the listenership is still quite low.

Ian Dempsey's show has changed very little since I stopped listening some time back. Same impressions on the same joke slot that seems to have been around forever. Obviously something is being done right, though, but it just seens stale.

I don't tend to listen to much morning radio, apart from some of Live Drive and Marty In The Morning. 4fm is usually on in the kitchen, and the breakfast show seems ok.

I prefer music and the like first thing in the morning. A bit of lightheartedness as well. Morning Ireland or the morning show in Newstalk provide this, but I think there can be the bit of lightheartedness between Ivan and his co-presenter. Obviously people enjoy current affairs first thing in the morning, hence a high listenership.

As a programme to listen to just after waking up, why is Morning Ireland the most nihilistic, bleak, despondant programme imaginable?

Almost everyone of their TV or Radio programmes has misery attached.Beyond me what the point of it is.
    The morning show is in a league of it's own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Some of us like hard-hitting current affairs in the morning. It's a good way of putting the brain in gear and getting an overview of what is happening in the world. I can think of nothing worse than spending my morning listening to some goofball DJ pretending to be zany and playing utterly vacuous pop music, before having a bit of 'banter' with the sports guy. It seems to be popular though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Marty Whelan is grand, imo. He doesn't have too many fans on the radio forum here, but his listenership has increased. But, the listenership is still quite low.
    What was the name of the lady he replaced? I loved her, she had the best voice for mornings. Everything she said sounded like "It's early, but that's ok. I'm not going to play or say anything startling until you're all woken up. Here's another soothing melody by some dead composer".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

:p:p Na na nana naaaaah! *Stick out tongue*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is Nick Abbot back on LBC?

He was good for passing an hour or two.

Friday and Sat nights, entertaining enough.

Rabies wrote: »
    Considering almost every radio station broadcasts online too. I don't see how it matters where the OP is from.

.... because maybe they want to listen to it in a car via an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

.... because maybe they want to listen to it in a car via an aerial.

Same deal.

I often listen to international radio streamed from my phone when I'm out and about or driving.

• Advertisement

BBC radio 4 is consistently good in the mornings, from the Today show up until Women's Hour:o

Rabies wrote: »
    Same deal.

I often listen to international radio streamed from my phone when I'm out and about or driving.

Again, you're making a lot of assumptioms and ignoring the fact I said "Through an aeriel", just because you or I may be familiar with technology does not mean it's applicable to the OP if they don't have the resources to stream online radio.

Similarly if someone asked "Best place to get a Slow Cooker in Lucan?" you wouldn't answer "Amazon.co.uk"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Get a cheap fm transmitter, maybe some rechargeable batteries and a charger too, from halfords or tesco or argos.

get stuff off youtube.

convert it - http://www.vidtomp3.com/

Hook that sht up to your smartphone or mp3.

tune your radio to your transmitter.

n'er again will you have to listen to godawful radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Ive read this post 4 times and I still can't get my head around wtf your on about:o

Ive read this post 4 times and I still can't get my head around wtf your on about:o

*You're

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A rough guide......

If you want news. The Today programme on BBC Radio 4.

If you want laid back news, Chris and Ivan on Newstalk.

If you want to keep updated on farm protests and Heathrow slots, RTÉ Radio 1, Morning Ireland.

If you want easily listening, Marty on Lyric is your man.

If you want nonsensical muck, 2FM from about 7am to 7am the following day, everyday.

If you want music you like, use your own MP3 player.

If you want to know if you're still alive, tune into you're local radio station after the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Morning Ireland's your only man. Keeps you up to date on the day's events. I find it a better wake up listen than some knob end phone-in show, interspersed with Roy Keane sketches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

RTE Gold. Great music and no DJs prattling on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Maybe you should tune in to your local church frequency and listen to a good old mass for yourself?

Perks me right up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Shandashey

That Jim Jim on FM104 makes me want to punch myself in the face whenever I hear him. His face matches his radio persona perfectly too. Punchable

Advertisement