Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Spring/Summer 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That storm over north france just balooned in size! Incredible to watch on the satellite

http://www.sat24.com/en/fr

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Rikand wrote: »
    That storm over north france just balooned in size! Incredible to watch on the satellite

http://www.sat24.com/en/fr

Yes N France is lit up at the moment!

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=10

Must be amazing to see on the ground... *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Wow id love to be there now..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

any web cams out there folks for the storms in france? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

A lot of active t'storms around Europe at the moment - South of France, Corsica, Sardinia and Italy are getting a lot of action!

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=13

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

There's a similar high humidity plumey low from the same disturbed source heading more our way by Friday,might be worth keeping an eye on it for storm production abilities given its source and track to us?
    Wexford,Waterford,East Cork and East Wicklow look like being in the firing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Turnipman wrote: »
    A lot of active t'storms around Europe at the moment - South of France, Corsica, Sardinia and Italy are getting a lot of action!

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page_0=13

Southern Europe is just bumpin' down there!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Rikand wrote: »
    Southern Europe is just bumpin' down there!

Just watching it! Crazy!

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Probably won't happen as it is, but check out Sunday afternoons forecast for the whole of France:

France.jpg

I think Boom is the operative word!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Darwin wrote: »
    Probably won't happen as it is, but check out Sunday afternoons forecast for the whole of France:

France.jpg

I think Boom is the operative word!

One to watch, most certainly. At one stage I looked at Italy on the lightning map, and the whole place was almost covered with lightning. It died down later on, though. Spain has seen a good covering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Trebor176 wrote: »
    One to watch, most certainly. At one stage I looked at Italy on the lightning map, and the whole place was almost covered with lightning. It died down later on, though. Spain has seen a good covering.

Great, down in les Mathes in France.
    Just to update this, heavy thunder storms here last night with heavy hail

My spidey senses tell me hot instability from south meeting cold from north,are we all set for some flashing and banging Friday/Saturday
    I've not bothered looking at cape and all that jazz as I'm on the phone but old school is telling me it's going to get very wet and probably thundery in the East and South east?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Great, down in les Mathes in France.
    Just to update this, heavy thunder storms here last night with heavy hail

Stayed in Les Mathes a few times with the family.

Always got some decent thunder storms there :D

The US is the place to be. Plenty of thunderstorm activity everyday for the last few weeks.

:D:D:D

Anyone hear Siobhan on radio one at five to eight this morning, she was on about a Spanish plume tonight into Friday night with thunder,heavy rain especially in the south and South east and the East and by Saturday though it would be back to ordinary showers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

last Monday morning we woke up to something like World war 3 in Munich.
    There was approaching 3000 lightening strikes in the half hour in and about 6am.
    http://kachelmannwetter.com/de/blitze/deutschland/bayern/muenchen/20150608-0610.html

it knocked out a couple of hundred traffic lights and caused chaos with the overhead lines for the trains
    Here possibly the best photo of the morning capturing a strike on the Olympia Tower
    1476410475-rat_a_20150609-160724-EhL7NWd7Qa7.jpg
    http://www.tz.de/muenchen/stadt/olympiaturm-blitzableiter-5084983.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

:D:D:D

Anyone hear Siobhan on radio one at five to eight this morning, she was on about a Spanish plume tonight into Friday night with thunder,heavy rain especially in the south and South east and the East and by Saturday though it would be back to ordinary showers?

She said the Spanish Plume would only effect the UK not us, we would get a few thundery showers from it but the main event would be in the UK.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    She said the Spanish Plume would only effect the UK not us, we would get a few thundery showers from it but the main event would be in the UK.

You Must have been listening to a different forecast
    She did not say the main event or use those words at all
    She also did not say 'a few thundery showers'
    Those are your words not hers :mad:

Her phrasing of Saturday's showers was interesting
    She differentiated them from Friday night's by saying 'let's call Saturday's showers ordinary showers' ie thundery up to then,not so after
    So a window of 36hrs of interest

let's see,might be nothing, might be fun

Meanwhile Sun has gave way to cloudy in Arklow
    Saw a long line of altocumulus to the south as that cloud cover approached

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Looks like a southern England/Wales event to me. Maybe a chance of some of it reaching east/southeast coasts but the atmosphere looks like it will be quite stable over Ireland : postive LI, and CAPE in the low hundreds at best.

nmmuk-6-38-0_yrf2.png

You don't actually need good cape etc when you are Importing storm's
    Sw and Western England and Wales do look like having the conditions to create their own
    We've often imported Welsh and Celtic sea storm's in the East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That line of showers on the radar looks to be more to the Southwest and moving North. hopefully we may see some action

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Oooooooh somebody needs some thunder and lightening ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Don't accuse me of knocking ME but I listened to the weather on RTE1 at lunchtime and the girl said there would be rain in the South and South East, yet I had been looking at the radar and all the rain was in the South West and inland it was nowhere near the South East and it looks to be going North West. I was just wondering if those forecasts are recorded or do they not look at their own radar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some small thunderstorms developing over the SE - in June 1986. Turned out to be a night to remember and the biggest weather event I have ever witnessed or ever likely too again :)

351758.png

Jeez...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Some small thunderstorms developing over the SE - in June 1986. Turned out to be a night to remember and the biggest weather event I have ever witnessed or ever likely too again :)

351758.png

Jeez...

Indeed, and glad to have survived it.
    In a field with my father and sister, not a very big field but there were several lightning strikes in the field and very close while we rushed to get into the tractor to get home.
    Mother had us saying the rosary in the hope our father wouldn't be killed while milking the cows...

We must be due a large thunderstorm event soon (next 10 years)

RobertKK wrote: »
    Indeed, and glad to have survived it.
    In a field with my father and sister, not a very big field but there were several lightning strikes in the field and very close while we rushed to get into the tractor to get home.
    Mother had us saying the rosary in the hope our father wouldn't be killed while milking the cows...

We must be due a large thunderstorm event soon (next 10 years)

careful what 'I' wish for
    Aye a neighbour had cows killed in the milking parlour during that
    Much as I love extremes,I'm petrified of the consequences :o

351758.png

Jeez...

I was only 11 days old, but it's one I'd probably liked to have experienced. It's only in recent years that I've got over my fear of thunder and lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

the 6 o clock forecast on the radio did mention "isolated thunderstorms" in the south and east for tomorrow.

If you can remember 1986 surely you remember the incredible storm in July the previous year!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

1985 was a separate event.

Personally, 1985 was unforgettable for me. I was right under it and never experienced anything like it since.

1986 was not quite as severe.

I do remember my father stopped milking the cows. Lightning was striking on the yard outside the parlour and as it was one of those very old type milking machines, he unplugged it and isolated.

Cows stayed inside that evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

85 was great, i was 7 and remember me and the auld boy stood at the back door most of the night looking over the river boyne as the lightening lit up the countryside.

Unforgettable :)

Advertisement