Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

AngeGal wrote: »
    Equally optimistic here. Our defence is very solid and Henshaw/Payne partnership is improving with every game, can see us getting a couple of tries tomorrow.

Yeah but the English are HUGE - defending against those fellas will tire our lads out. Wish I could share your confidence.

That said, I'm tempted to put a few quid on Tommy Bowe scoring the first try :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

duckysauce wrote: »

Would rather our bench any day of the week.

Agreed. Cronin, Healy & Henderson is some amount of ball carrying ability to have coming off the bench at the 50-60 minute mark.
    Hugh_C wrote: »
    Yeah but the English are HUGE - defending against those fellas will tire our lads out. Wish I could share your confidence.

That said, I'm tempted to put a few quid on Tommy Bowe scoring the first try :)

They're always massive. We have actually have more size and physicality in our backline this year than in the past with Henshaw and Payne in the centre.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England
    In all the hubbub I think an important factor that hasn't been mentioned try is Craig Joubert. He's a sh ref who had quite a myopic view of the breakdown. He tends to allow a bit of a free for all and doesn't ping immediately in favor of the jackle, unlike more recent nh refs. This can only suit England.
    Their backrow will be the winning or losing of the game so Ireland tactics are going to have to be a lot more imaginative than one out static runners or we'll get turned over consistently.
    We'll need to play with width and move this pack around the field, especially Haskell and robshaw, and try to target areas where they are together (and use some dark art holding at rucks) or focus our cleaners on individual ruckers to move the offside line.

BaSically, leave everything out on the field. ... and TOD will also have a huge physical part to play when he comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

England
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    In all the hubbub I think an important factor that hasn't been mentioned try is Craig Joubert. He's a sh ref who had quite a myopic view of the breakdown. He tends to allow a bit of a free for all and doesn't ping immediately in favor of the jackle, unlike more recent nh refs. This can only suit England.
    Their backrow will be the winning or losing of the game so Ireland tactics are going to have to be a lot more imaginative than one out static runners or we'll get turned over consistently.
    We'll need to play with width and move this pack around the field, especially Haskell and robshaw, and try to target areas where they are together (and use some dark art holding at rucks) or focus our cleaners on individual ruckers to move the offside line.

BaSically, leave everything out on the field. ... and TOD will also have a huge physical part to play when he comes on.

I dunno that it'll that one sided at the breakdown - POM and SoB are massive in that area of the game and Jordi is now coming into his own on the ground, perhaps being something more of a 7.5 than an 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Have you had a look at the England bench.

Yeah but our bench is pretty good too. Healy, Cronin, Henderson and Reddan could all be game changers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I dunno that it'll that one sided at the breakdown - POM and SoB are massive in that area of the game and Jordi is now coming into his own on the ground, perhaps being something more of a 7.5 than an 8.

I think that was his point. Half the Irish pack are noted for their ability over the ball - if Joubert is slow to reward that and gives the team in possession every chance to clear the ball, that probably suits England better, particularly as support of the ball carrier has been poor in the first two games.

Personally I can't call this. I think the teams are too evenly matched and more importantly, I think we've not seen either team really fully extend itself so far this championship. Both teams should hit a higher level of intensity this game than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Choodefat

Would watch the game for the occasion etc, but god, how annoying are the rte commentators sounding like they're about to have an orgasm?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Choodefat wrote: »
    Would watch the game for the occasion etc, but god, how annoying are the rte commentators sounding like they're about to have an orgasm?!

If it means Ireland are scoring tries, they can come as often as they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Choodefat wrote: »

Hopefully Tommy Bowwwwwwwe can give Ryle something to shout about. Going to predict Ireland by 5. England are a very good team. But we should have beaten them last year. 10-3 after 50 minutes and then we made a couple of big mistakes which cost us. England have been sluggish starters in their games so far this year and if we can build a lead early on I think we'll see Murray and Sexton control the game and keep England pinned back.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

England

As English lurker said above, My point is this ref allows the ruck to progress in a manner that doesn't favor those strong over the ball. Some refs such as Clancy and lacey will blow for not releasing the second the jackler gets their hands in the ball but are then cleared out. Joubert will not favor the jackler in such a manner. .... which is a positive for the bigger slower stronger pack (England than Ireland). Yes it will slow their ball down, but i wouldn't be expecting any high number of turnovers on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

England
    What's worrying me is that Joubert is also **** at scrum time and will allow Marler free reign to bore in again all day. Up excited and nervous already, think I'm going to need a Valium today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Said it before in a different thread, but Ireland by 8+.
    Joe has consistently brought results since Twickenham last year, he nearly pulled it off that day too.
    This Irish team fears no one. The days of having to get yourself into an aggressive frenzy in the changing room before playing one of the 'BIGGER' teams (because deep down you actually fear them) are long gone.
    A team that is marshaled well, with confidence based on achievements, knows they can beat anyone.

I expect joe to surprise us all today.
    With England left wondering what the f*** just hit them.

Henshaw MOTM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Warren Gatland
    England by seven i reckon

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Poor weather here in Dublin. Raining :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England
    Yeah it's lashing where I live in Ballsbridge at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

awec wrote: »
    Poor weather here in Dublin. Raining :(

Supposed to clear up in the afternoon though...

Up early this morning and out for a run. Am so nervous I felt like I was warming up for something...!

Awful weather and cold so not sure things will dry up much by kick off in 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    rrpc wrote: »
    Supposed to clear up in the afternoon though...

I hope you're right. It won't be a great spectacle if this weather continues - awful right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Ireland for the win. Home advantage is massive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Poor weather would suit us no? Going by our dominant kick and chase I would say let it rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Warren Gatland
    chupacabra wrote: »
    Poor weather would suit us no? Going by our dominant kick and chase I would say let it rain.

Rained two years ago and we lost, was miserable in the Aviva, soaked from head to toe and listening to swing low, brutal day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can't wait for this. Really hoping it's the match if the tournament. Heading to Gibneys in Malahide to watch it

I think Ireland will win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

England
    I'm bad at waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

people seem to be putting too much stock in nowell and goode.

If you leave out youngs their entire back line has like 50 (approx) caps between them.

We wont fall apart the way italy did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone have a recipe of how to watch this on an iPad? I'm stuck abroad and can't make it to the pub, don't have a laptop with me.

Pm me please!

Does anyone have a recipe of how to watch this on an iPad? I'm stuck abroad and can't make it to the pub, don't have a laptop with me.

Pm me please!

No talk of illegal streams or getting around geo locked content is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Rain seems to have stopped. Hopefully it stays dry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

pc7 wrote: »
    Rained two years ago and we lost, was miserable in the Aviva, soaked from head to toe and listening to swing low, brutal day.

Aye but we lost Sexton quite early that day which was just as significant, however Robshaw and co did a job on us alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

Having watched Earls again last night and Fitz since his return to fitness you'd have to wonder what Joe sees in Jones to retain the 23rd jersey. I'd have both Fitz and Earls on any team but no it to have either is baffling.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    No talk of illegal streams or getting around geo locked content is allowed.

Folks it doesn't matter if you think it's legal or not. Don't post it here :)

Advertisement