Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What colour do you see

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Opened the picture in the OP in a new tab, it is white and gold. Every other picture of it is blue/black.
    Ok when I look at it here I see blue and black

Now when I go back to the OP I see blue and black as well

I'm cured!

I read the article in this link, flicked back to the tab of the picture and it's now blue/black. Bizarre to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ForestFire wrote: »
    You seem intent on convincing everyone that what you see is correct:rolleyes:

What I see is correct in that I see the actual colours in the file. If you're seeing black in there, then you're not seeing what's actually in front of you.

So... :rolleyes:, I guess? Is that a thing we're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭ForestFire

What I see is correct in that I see the actual colours in the file. If you're seeing black in there, then you're not seeing what's actually in front of you.

So... :rolleyes:, I guess? Is that a thing we're doing?

Again What about White?? If you're seeing White in there, then you're not seeing what's actually in front of you.

Black (And also White) are very define colors, its a yes or no.
    Just because you see color does not mean you are seeing the right color?

Again What about White?? If you're seeing White in there, then you're not seeing what's actually in front of you.

Black (And also White) are very define colors, its a yes or no.
    Just because you see color does not mean you are seeing the right color?

I think that's been conclusively shown here anyway. But I've colour picked the photo (I shared this earlier in the thread) and it matches what I'm seeing. There's objectively no black in there.

I'd also disagree on white - in theory it's pretty definite, but you basically never see true white in the real world. It'll pretty much always have a hue picked up from ambient light.

There's no white on the dress in the photo - it's a light shade of blue. But I get why people might call it white.

I find it fascinating that anyone could see black in there. Genuinely perplexing to the point that I'm constantly wondering if it's all a big joke that I've fallen for. But sure that's what makes it interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

What I see is correct in that I see the actual colours in the file.

Let it go, maaaaaan.

As said, grey was what was seen by me in the original anyway, a lighter shade of black in other words.

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Let it go, maaaaaan.

No, I'm bored. :P

But I've colour picked the photo (I shared this earlier in the thread) and it matches what I'm seeing. There's objectively no black in there.

I find it fascinating that anyone could see black in there. Genuinely perplexing to the point that I'm constantly wondering if it's all a big joke that I've fallen for. But sure that's what makes it interesting.

Okay so you don't see the dress as Gold but brown unlike other maybe who see gold?

But also you know Black is one of the hardest "colors" to reproduce, both on TV's Monitors and Photos,. That is why the consumer electronics world is obsessed with black levels and even some of the earlier Video formats did not allow the signal to go to true black and this has been extended recently (level 6 instead of 0 from memory)

So no-one ever really see back on a TV or monitor (Even if color pick tells you its (0,0,0), your screen can't reproduce it (unless it cost a couple of grand maybe)

Its not as far from the brown in this photo, but there is still some compensation everyone does to see black on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Okay so you don't see the dress as Gold but brown unlike other maybe who see gold?

But also you know Black is one of the hardest "colors" to reproduce, both on TV's Monitors and Photos,. That is why the consumer electronics world is obsessed with black levels and even some of the earlier Video formats did not allow the signal to go to true black and this has been extended recently (level 6 instead of 0 from memory)

So no-one ever really see back on a TV or monitor (Even if color pick tells you its (0,0,0), your screen can't reproduce it (unless it cost a couple of grand maybe)

Its not as far from the brown in this photo, but there is still some compensation everyone does to see black on TV
    But black in a photo is a lot easier to reproduce. You just need black ink. Where as with a TV or monitor, they must be backlit in order to produce a viewable image, and also the make-up of the screen has a colour other than black even when switched off, so you're always starting from behind. So they're not comparible.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    But black in a photo is a lot easier to reproduce. You just need black ink. .

Black Ink and a perfect camera to capture the black correctly in the first place.
    In fact the camera used to take the image was never going to capture the black correctly.
    Digital sensors will always add noise, including color noise to black areas.

But yes, photos are better than screens in general but the principle is still the same.

We are all using screens to look at this image (initially at least)

We all compensate for black on screens every day and again maybe not to the extent of this photo

Black Ink and a perfect camera to capture the black correctly in the first place.
    In fact the camera used to take the image was never going to capture the black correctly.
    Digital sensors will always add noise, including color noise to black areas.

But yes, photos are better than screens in general but the principle is still the same.

We are all using screens to look at this image (initially at least)

We all compensate for black on screens every day and again maybe not to the extent of this photo
    Just as often we compensate for white!

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Just as often we compensate for white!

Exactly, like I said in my very first post on this - Everyone is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

I don't get this. Is this a test for colour blindness or?

Exactly, like I said in my very first post on this - Everyone is wrong

Did everyone look at these images posted earlier in thread?
    It well worth looking at if not.

http://i.imgur.com/uqqpS4cl.png
    (A and B are actually the same colour see next link)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

And here is how brown can look gold even if it is not-
    http://expertenough.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Optical-Illusion.jpg
    (The upper brown square is a very dark brown to me and I could even stretch to black depending on context, while the bottom square to me is a clear "muddy" Gold/yellow and no where near brown/black and yes they are exactly the same color)

Everyone will see the wrong colors and shades in these images?

With this dress photo, it just happens some see it in different ways, as it is close to the boarder of these shading/other issues.

it is unlikely anyone is seeing it as its real colors on the screen

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I don't get this. Is this a test for colour blindness or?
    It's not a test, it started life as a genuine "what do you think of my dress" question, and because people were split as to what they saw, it escalated.
    All it shows is that what people see and how they render that information is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Of I've just looked at this again. In work today I saw it as white and gold, and now at home looking at it again on my laptop it's blue and black. It depends you your screen setting and your eyes.

Actually now, I can change it depending on how I look at it. If I turn away from the screen and then look back it can be either way. Just my eyes being random.

Advertisement