Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What colour do you see

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

E.g. you're out shopping and see a skirt, you think it's a nice colour, your friend likes the design but thinks the colour is rank. You put it down to a difference of opinion/taste. But in fact, it's that you're seeing the same skirt in two completely colours without even realising it.

Unless you're both looking at a dodgy, overexposed cameraphone pic of it instead of it in real life, that's unlikely to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I can't believe there is no trickery afoot here.

Where are all the other examples of this phenomenon?

Surely it wasn't just discovered this week. Usually when a pop-science meme goes viral, there is a boilerplate explanation beneath it, with links to other examples of the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Here's a scientific video about the dress (short video)

Its another opinion - but with lots of "mights" and "maybes" its hardly scientific.

- id like see an article that scientifically extracts the trick and replicates the effect(two people seeing different things while looking at the same image at the same place and time) using just primary shapes and solid colours and no dress.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »
    Its another opinion - but with lots of "mights" and "maybes" its hardly scientific.

- id like see an article that scientifically extracts the trick and replicates the effect(two people seeing different things while looking at the same image at the same place and time) using just primary shapes and solid colours and no dress.

Can't be done. The photo is a bit of a freak, in that it only works because there's really poor exposure, massively reduced background visibility, and a wonky colour balance. It's a perfect storm that makes a borderline image that, depending on what processing your brain feels like doing, can look one way or another

Agreed. Without proper scientific evaluation, it's bull sh1t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I can't believe there is no trickery afoot here.

Where are all the other examples of this phenomenon?

Surely it wasn't just discovered this week. Usually when a pop-science meme goes viral, there is a boilerplate explanation beneath it, with links to other examples of the same thing.
    It happens all the time in photography you've more then likely witnessed it on a regular basis. With peoples faces looking a completely different colour to what it looked like when you took it. It's surprisingly easy to change the entire look of a photo just by changing the colour temperature.

In real life we just don't take note of the differences because we don't reference it off each other all the time. But there's plenty of times when people remember colours differently and will argue about whether something was one colour or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 no.panic neva.panic

Google: "Beau Lotto: Optical illusions show how we see". It's a TED talk that illustrates and explains this phenomenon quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I could only see white and gold until I read a decent explanation of why I was seeing it like that.

Since reading and understanding that, I can only see black and blue.

The explanation was roughly this:

If you think the dress is being lit from behind because of the lighting around it, then you think the dress itself is in shadow and your brain sees the washed out colours as white and gold in shadow.

If you think the dress is being overexposed and drowning in light from face on due to a flash or other light source (as it is) then your brain will filter out the over exposure and see the true colours.

At first the dress looked lit from behind and in shadow to me, which is why I saw gold and white. Once I read the above and looked again at the image considering the overexposure - Bam! Black and blue dress, and that's how it stayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

COYVB wrote: »
    It's overexposed black. The bits that show as gold are actually the black bits

That makes them black then

That makes them black then

It makes them black in reality, but it also makes them appear just gold enough for people to be able to consider them gold.

The biggest issue with this whole thing has been that the question of what colour is the dress is the wrong one, with the right one being what colour does the dress appear to be in the photo

They're 2 completely different questions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Orange and purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its Black but looks grey in the bright light (but could be a dark gold/green based on the light on the neck line) and a light/cobalt blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 I1I1

If you see it in white and gold, close one eye and make cup your hand and use it like a telescope, focus on the middle of the dress away from the edges. You should see it in black and blue

Or if your able to cross your eyes that works as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Blue and black straight away. No question about it. Tried several screens, can't see any gold.

I can see some light from the background has come into the lens of the camera, but I reckon my brain corrected for it straight away.

Blue and black, jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

How is it blue and black? There is no blue or black. It is a white and gold dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    How is it blue and black? There is no blue or black. It is a white and gold dress.

Well, it looks blue and black... and IS blue and black. THAT'S now it's blue and black. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I can see neither white nor black.

It's still blue and gold for me. Can someone please explain that to me? As well as why the third option keeps being left out...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,872 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I see blue and black when they show a picture of the dress in blue and black, and white and gold when they show a picture of the dress in white and gold, so it's all bull .
    I see both !
    So it's all depends on what picture you look at, of course someone who is looking at it in blue and black is seeing blue and black .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I see blue and black when they show a picture of the dress in blue and black, and white and gold when they show a picture of the dress in white and gold, so it's all bull .
    I see both !
    So it's all depends on what picture you look at, of course someone who is looking at it in blue and black is seeing blue and black .

My wife looked at the picture that is Blue and Black and said it was White and Gold so its not bull. If it wasn't on the news then she would still be arguing it was White and Gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Guffy

Anyone know why i see white and gold when i wake and all day but Blue and black late at night?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

gufc21 wrote: »
    Anyone know why i see white and gold when i wake and all day but Blue and black late at night?

It's to do with how your brain adjusts for light sources. Even though we know the dress is Blue/Black, you should see it as White/Gold in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I saw blue and black from the start....really can't see where people are getting white and gold from tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I saw blue and black from the start....really can't see where people are getting white and gold from tbh!

There's no black in the photo, so it would make more sense to be curious about why you're seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Doesn't matter. We're not looking at the dress, we're looking at an overexposed photo where it's blue-white and brown-gold.
    There's no black in the photo, so it would make more sense to be curious about why you're seeing that.

You seem intent on convincing everyone that what you see is correct:rolleyes:

I could say - There is no white in the dress/photo, make more sense to be curious about why you're seeing that??

There is no Gold in the dress/photo make more sense to be curious about why you're seeing that??

And yes there is no Black either but this is the only color you seem to focus on. And why do you think you can say brown is closer to gold than black?

We all know at this stage the photo has the dress as Brown/blue(light)

Brown is not Gold or Black
    Light Blue is not Dark blue or white

Everyone is wrong :o

My uncle is blind. He says there's no dress there at all and cant understand what all the fuss is about.

Maybe he's right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This is the whole point, the photo is showing how people's brains perceive colour and light differently.

It's not a trick or optical illusion like some people here have compared it too.

If your brain perceives the dress to be blue and black then nothing you do will change that and the same applies vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It's a blue and black dress that looks white and gold in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Well, for me, the original photo was blue and grey. Grey is a lighter tone of black. And then I suppose my brain corrected for the light in the photo and went "Oh, so it's black". But I never saw gold or brown, like others. I saw grey.

When I saw the white balance photo, it briefly looked white and gold, then quickly looked blue and grey again. But the original, nothing but blue and grey. So I saw grey where the black in the dress is, and blue where the blue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

When I looked at this on Friday for the first time I saw black and blue and thought everyone was taking the piss saying white and gold. Now today looking at it I can't see black or blue anymore, just white and gold. I don't trust my eyes anymore.

The maker of the dress has conformed it is really black and gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is the whole point, the photo is showing how people's brains perceive colour and light differently.

It's not a trick or optical illusion like some people here have compared it too.

If your brain perceives the dress to be blue and black then nothing you do will change that and the same applies vice versa.

We often used to have conversations such as this with our "group of lads"

whats beyond the edge of space etc, does it go on forever and ever or does it loop around like earth etc

anyway, another topic was:

are peoples colours different? ie, when we're children, we grow up learning the sky is blue and the grass is green.

but what if my perception of blue is your perception of purple? If we were to swap eyes I'd say "no, the sky is purple" but we both learned it to be blue. So we both look at the sky, and both see blue, yet we actually "see" two completely different colours, but both are "blue" to us in the traditional sense as our eyes might pick up light/be built differently.

is that even possible to ascertain? I think when we look at how little is known in some areas of science eg the role/process of sleep and dreams etc, we understand very little compared to other sciences :eek:

Advertisement