Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 184 - Rousey vs Zingano

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Gatling wrote: »
    Anyone think she could go up a division at all and hold two tiles

She cant go up a weight in the UFC, there isnt one so she would have to vacate her title if she leaves and thats not going to happen.Rondas plans are simply to remain the best and retire undefeated so shes happy to just coast where she is. Shes off making some film now so Dana has said when shes back from that they will discuss her next fight, obviously Miesha wants another go as does Cat but Bethe Correia seems to be next in line. Holm offers little that Ronda cant deal with and is to new to the game to get a shot anytime soon. Either way Ronda can easily just go around in circles taking them out one by one as they rotate between who is the top contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seriously impressive stuff from Rousey as always, though without needing hindsight that wasn't the best gameplan in the world from Zingano!

No way on earth should Holm be matched up against Ronda yet. She'd be eaten alive! Give her a couple of fights against fighters like Andrade or Carmouche first. Time to settle in a bit and find her feet before being fed to the wolves. :pac:

As for Ronda, I'm sure one of the main things we all love about the sport is that no matter how big a favourite there is, the underdog always has a punchers chance, but as things stand it's just impossible to see anyone coming close to even challenging her. She has literally blasted through the whole division. I'd like to see her matched up with Miesha Tate again though. Of all Ronda's opponents, Miesha pushed her the furthest and since that fight she has won 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Beersmith

No definitely no hindsight needed. I just can't imagine an uncontrolled lunge at rousey not end up with you being quickly submitted by rousey. I dont think its possible for any woman to beat her but sure staying out of grappling range is the only way you can try do it. That rogan interview really shouldn't have happened. They should have apologized on screen for the cringe rather than bad language

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Worst start ever for zingano. She has enough to make it a good fight, but that was pure rush to the head absolute stupidity and she knows it and hates herself for it.

Really feel sorry for her, but LOL, what a mistaka to maka.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Worst start ever for zingano. She has enough to make it a good fight, but that was pure rush to the head absolute stupidity and she knows it and hates herself for it.

Really feel sorry for her, but LOL, what a mistaka to maka.

This.

Cat had the ability 3 rounds with Ronda. She is definitely the best 135er in the UFC bar Ronda and has the skills to avoid the armbar but surely her game plan has to be at all costs avoid getting in close early and settle into the fight.

Was bonkers what she did. I and i'm sure everyone else here knew it was gonna be over quick when she jumped with the flying knee.

The best bet any of the current UFC women have of beating Ronda is trying to survive and get lucky with a punch or a RNC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

TimRiggins wrote: »
    The best bet any of the current UFC women have of beating Ronda is trying to survive and get lucky with a punch or a RNC.

In my opinion there are realistically only a few things that you can try do to beat Ronda or the minimize her offence. What we have learned from her previous fights are firstly dont run at all, especially with a flying knee..run at her and shes gonna judo toss you across the octagon. She loves the clinch, she sets up a judo throw from it and the force of that throw usually does huge amounts of damage in itself before she attempts to go for an armbar, so you need to be able to better her in the clinch to avoid the judo throws. Lastly you need to be able to dominate on the ground and take top position, if she gets on top its only a matter of time before that armbar gets locked in, shes so good at the transition from top mount to the armbar and applying the leverage to tear your arm clean off, she is less dangerous on the bottom and doesnt like getting punched. If you can take top mount and land some ground and pound thats a whole new world for Ronda in a fight.

The problem is everyone stepping in the cage with her is so focused on the armbar, we as viewers expect it, the fighters expect it..everyones watching for it. So they go in and they are more worried about not getting in the clinch and not getting thrown to the ground, than their own gameplan. Until someone comes along that is physically stronger than Ronda and able to stop her in the clinch and stop her throws, and be able to take top mount from her then no one is going to beat her. Stand and punch and shes gonna get in close, take the clinch and throw you to the ground..game over. Take her down and try wrestle or use bjj and she will inevitably transition to top mount and its game over. No female currently in the division has shown they are stronger or have the ability to control Ronda dominantly in any of those positions, until they do its gonna be win after win..

Axwell wrote: »
    In my opinion there are realistically only a few things that you can try do to beat Ronda or the minimize her offence. What we have learned from her previous fights are firstly dont run at all, especially with a flying knee..run at her and shes gonna judo toss you across the octagon. She loves the clinch, she sets up a judo throw from it and the force of that throw usually does huge amounts of damage in itself before she attempts to go for an armbar, so you need to be able to better her in the clinch to avoid the judo throws. Lastly you need to be able to dominate on the ground and take top position, if she gets on top its only a matter of time before that armbar gets locked in, shes so good at the transition from top mount to the armbar and applying the leverage to tear your arm clean off, she is less dangerous on the bottom and doesnt like getting punched. If you can take top mount and land some ground and pound thats a whole new world for Ronda in a fight.

The problem is everyone stepping in the cage with her is so focused on the armbar, we as viewers expect it, the fighters expect it..everyones watching for it. So they go in and they are more worried about not getting in the clinch and not getting thrown to the ground, than their own gameplan. Until someone comes along that is physically stronger than Ronda and able to stop her in the clinch and stop her throws, and be able to take top mount from her then no one is going to beat her. Stand and punch and shes gonna get in close, take the clinch and throw you to the ground..game over. Take her down and try wrestle or use bjj and she will inevitably transition to top mount and its game over. No female currently in the division has shown they are stronger or have the ability to control Ronda dominantly in any of those positions, until they do its gonna be win after win..

Looking at the roster at the minute its very hard to see her beaten ever, Saying that a new fighter might enter and posses the tools to beat her but its not looking very likely.

There is no one on the current roster, the gap is just way too big between her ability and everyone else. They wont close that and every day Ronda gets even better if thats possible, shes far too dedicated to ever go into a fight unprepared and have a bad day at the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,155 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Holm was average as well for someone with her professional record, but then again, she has 30+ wins and only 9 by KO.
    I think her combined record is 17 KOs.

Im really not a big one for disclosed pay but rousey with 130000 inc win bonus zingano getting a 100000 is crazy.

• Advertisement

There is no one on the current roster, the gap is just way too big between her ability and everyone else. They wont close that and every day Ronda gets even better if thats possible, shes far too dedicated to ever go into a fight unprepared and have a bad day at the office.

They should just give her Miesha Tate again. If Cyborg fights at 135 in July let her fight the winner of Zingano and McCann and the winner of that fights her after. Miesha actually did alright against Ronda is the second fight, Really fought with everything she had but Ronda was always very likely to win. Shes the only one able to delay her it seems, and she was impressive against McCann

Beersmith wrote: »
    Im really not a big one for disclosed pay but rousey with 130000 inc win bonus zingano getting a 100000 is crazy.

Ronda gets a PPV cut so I'd say that would bring it down abit.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Ronda gets a PPV cut so I'd say that would bring it down abit.

Yeah i know the whole undisclosed thing but the 100gs to zingano is absolutely mental, way more talented and long serving guys that get way less than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We all have bad days, she even admitted it herself that her first thoughts were that Cat just had a bad day and related it to herself having a bad day when she'd be dumped on her head by an opponent she'd normally easily beat ~ that happens to most of us competing at some point in time.

Anther difficulty her opponents have in their preparation for Rousey is finding a high level left handed Judoka sparring partner.

Not only is Ronda a lefty judoka, but she's fairly decent attacking on her right hip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Marion Reneau is coming off a nice win against Andrade. I wonder if Zingano would fancy a quick turnaround and take that fight.

We all have bad days, she even admitted it herself that her first thoughts were that Cat just had a bad day and related it to herself having a bad day when she'd be dumped on her head by an opponent she'd normally easily beat ~ that happens to most of us competing at some point in time.

It might happen to her in Judo but it hasnt happened in the UFC and on her bad day Ronda is still better than all if not most of the current division. As for Cat I think that was Ronda just being kind, Cat wasnt having a bad day imo, she just made a mistake early on and paid the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

It might happen to her in Judo but it hasnt happen in the UFC and on her bad day Ronda is still better than all if not most of the current division. As for Cat I think that was Ronda just being kind, Cat wasnt having a bad day, she made a mistake early on and paid the price.

Means the same thing really, sometimes you get away with them but against someone of Ronda's caliber you're gonna get spanked.

I felt sorry for Cat tbh, she was caught completely dopey, and I'm being very generous ~ by God, rushing at a Judoka like that is always gonna get you punished. And Ronda spinning out off her back hitting the canvass, thats Judo blue belt level stuff.

I've a lot of respect for Cat and I'd love to see her given a re-match.

I felt sorry for Cat tbh, she was caught completely dopey, and I'm being very generous ~ by God, rushing at a Judoka like that is always gonna get you punished. And Ronda spinning out off her back hitting the canvass, thats Judo blue belt level stuff.
    Rushing in was stupid, hoping to catch her off guard maybe. Ronda got the turnover instantly.
    But I felt the massive mistake happened after that. Ronda was taking her back, and Cat was trying to hold her neck, she held on long after Ronda had a hook in. There was a good few seconds (which is a massive amount of time) where the only thing isolating Cat's arm, was Cat herself.
    That's a pretty basic mistake.
    Has she not done it, she's still be in a bad spot. Ronda had her back, and she'd be defending the choke, and the choke setting up the armbar. But that's a million times better than just giving up the arm.

This is the moment I'm talking about.
    340614.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Ronda's eyes when she sees she has the arm there; "MEAAAAAAAAAAT!"

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

It was a mistake by Cat. But I wonder how many fighters would have capitalised on that and submit them in 14 secounds

• Advertisement

For those that thing Joe was out of line asking Kat questions like that so soon after the fight..

Edit: just seen it was also posted in the chat thread..
    NNNFb2e.jpg

R.F. wrote: »
    It was a mistake by Cat. But I wonder how many fighters would have capitalised on that and submit them in 14 secounds

I'd expect any fighter with any sort of grappling to capitalise on it. It was really bad regardless of opponent, not just bad vrs Rousey.

Advertisement