Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 184 - Rousey vs Zingano

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I actually hope Gleison Tibau gets cut to be honest. He's like the opposite of a human highlight reel. Has he ever been in an entertaining fight, that he has won?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Two things from last nights card.
    First, Holly Holm, for a fighter hyped up as a boxing champion with great stand up, her stand up was shockingly bad, utter rubbish.
    Second, Ronda is boss, and will be for a long arse time.

Two things from last nights card.
    First, Holly Holm, for a fighter hyped up as a boxing champion with great stand up, her stand up was shockingly bad, utter rubbish.

Wah? Hows that? She did great in and out boxing for 3 rounds. Pennington timed a few decent shots, but most of the time Holm wasn't there to be hit after landing her own strikes. Just like the way she used to box, decisioning her opponents. Pennington did well in preparation to avoid the head kicks Holms biggest MMA weapon. People maybe wrote off Pennington and expected a Ronda type obliteration, but theres only one Ronda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The thing is to me though is it's moving backwards, I recall strikeforce and other promotions have some great womens fights. Often they would be in my view the most entertaining on the card. I'm not sure whats happening in UFC as many of them are fighting there now , is it just poor match making, and a shallow pool of fighters ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All caught up. As soon as Zingano jumped straight at Rousey, I found myself shouting:

Rousey is going to be top dog for a long long time. She is so technically gifted and very enjoyable to watch.

Hopefully Zingano gets right back into a fight and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Wah? Hows that? She did great in and out boxing for 3 rounds. Pennington timed a few decent shots, but most of the time Holm wasn't there to be hit after landing her own strikes. Just like the way she used to box, decisioning her opponents. Pennington did well in preparation to avoid the head kicks Holms biggest MMA weapon. People maybe wrote off Pennington and expected a Ronda type obliteration, but theres only one Ronda!

I'll admit I didn't know much about Holm coming into this fight. I may have bought into the hype a bit and expected a lot more from her being a boxing champion, but split decisioning Pennington who's ranked 14th(no offence to her), who's nowhere near the fighters in top 10 IMO, just isn't good enough. I might be too harsh judging her after watching just one fight, but if that's all she's got, then I think her stand up is terrible. We'd have to agree to disagree I suppose.
    Never mind Ronda, because she won't get near her. Cat, Meisha, Alexis and couple more other will all take her I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Considering that Ronda has cleaned out the division and her fights have become a formality do you think she will try and make them more exciting/last longer by not going for the kill so quickly? If she ever gets in trouble she can always revert to beastmode. Or does taking less damage make up for boring predictable fights, when you look at it from a length of careerer vs money made viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

JJayoo wrote: »
    Considering that Ronda has cleaned out the division and her fights have become a formality do you think she will try and make them more exciting/last longer by not going for the kill so quickly? If she ever gets in trouble she can always revert to beastmode. Or does taking less damage make up for boring predictable fights, when you look at it from a length of careerer vs money made viewpoint

Doubt it. She's a finishing machine. Personally, last thing I want to see is Ronda dicking about Anderson Silva style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

You have to give it to Ronda, she does pip McGregor for best walkout. Tune.

• Advertisement

Doubt it. She's a finishing machine. Personally, last thing I want to see is Ronda dicking about Anderson Silva style.

I'm actually surprised that she hasn't exploited her huge advantage in the ground game to pull off some extraordinary submissions. She has such control on the ground she could work into almost any submission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

JJayoo wrote:

not attacking you....

I don't get people giving out about quick finishes. If I was in a fight I would want it over ASAP by any means.

remember, there's 2 people in the ring. Ronda's amazballs don't get me wrong but her opponents better be able to hold out longer than 15secs in order to be worthy of the opportunity they were given.

The division is piss poor atm. Ronda needs to come up a weight and give herself a challenge.

I would really love to see an exhibition fight between her and a male fighter...

tacking you....

I don't get people giving out about quick finishes. If I was in a fight I would want it over ASAP by any means.

remember, there's 2 people in the ring. Ronda's amazballs don't get me wrong but her opponents better be able to hold out longer than 15secs in order to be worthy of the opportunity they were given.

The division is piss poor atm. Ronda needs to come up a weight and give herself a challenge.

I would really love to see an exhibition fight between her and a male fighter

JJayoo wrote:

not attacking you....

JJayoo wrote:

not attacking you....

JJayoo wrote:

not attacking you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I dont know if people here seen Invicta FC 11, Cyborg and Rousey would be an amazing fight, Maybe at a catch weight 140 to save one moving up/down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

nc19 wrote: »
    not attacking you....

Will never, and should never happen!

Here's a little story on female sport.

When i was a young lad they did a 7 a side league in my school. Basically every kid put their name in, and the names where drawn out of a hat to make the teams.

the particluar team i was in was woefully poor. Including myself i might add. anyway, in the mini divisions the only team in this league that wasnt picked at random was the schools girl football team. They where in fact south dublin schools champions as well. So no doubt a very good team.

Our first game was against them, and their coach, the schools PE teacher was cock sure they would hammer us. Well, we won that game 8 nil. The girls where utter crap compared to boys. We had 6 more games against other lads and didnt win a single game.

So my point being, no matter how good their skillset is, the could never beat a man with similar skillsets. Its not sexist, its just a cold hard fact, its why women compete against other women, and rightly so.

Besides, who in gods name would want to see a woman getting ko'd by some fella, i know i wouldnt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

JJayoo wrote: »
    Considering that Ronda has cleaned out the division and her fights have become a formality do you think she will try and make them more exciting/last longer by not going for the kill so quickly? If she ever gets in trouble she can always revert to beastmode.

She will never look to increase the length of a fight just to entertain a career, why would any fighter want to risk injury when they can get in there and get the job done as quick as possible. She is her own biggest critic and when she goes in to a fight and gets tagged 2-3 times before a submission she says she wasnt good enough because she got tagged full stop. Shes not in there to give the viewers their moneys worth, shes in there to get the win and keep the belt and go down in history.
    nc19 wrote: »
    tacking you....

That is a ridiculous idea and thankfully one that will never happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I dont know if people here seen Invicta FC 11, Cyborg and Rousey would be an amazing fight, Maybe at a catch weight 140 to save one moving up/down.

The majority of people who watch MMA over the last few years are well aware of who Cyborg is, shes a troubled fighter and for a long time the UFC hasnt wanted anything to do with her. Shes spent the last year or so getting her **** together though and its likely the UFC will make a move to sign her at this stage. However there isnt a chance in hell of Rousey moving up in weight to fight her, shes been very clear that any fight with Cyborg will be when she comes down to 135 to meet Ronda. Shes of the opinion and rightly so that shes the champ and if you want to fight her then you make the sacrifices not her. Its worth noting the Invicta fight on Friday was just a few miles up the road from the Staples centre where UFC 184 was, good chance that there was a meeting at some point between the UFC and Cyborg over the last few days.

• Advertisement

The problem with Cyborg is that while Ronda dominates her opponents and submits them, Cyborg would dominate the other fighters by smashing their faces in. It wouldn't be that appealing to watch Cyborg smash through the division.

Also before the fight both Kat and Ronda spoke a lot about women headlining the event, can't really see Ronda getting to headline any more events when you are almost 90% guaranteed the fight will end in under 2 minutes.

Whereas if you remove Ronda from the equation you are left with some great match ups.

Its not Rondas fault the rest of the division is nowhere near her ability. I would rather watch Ronda in a headline fight and see her perform at her dominant self and finish it in the first round than watch 3 rounds of any of the others fighting maybe apart from Miesha vs Cat. I feel those are at a level above the rest and Ronda is miles above even those two. With the addition of straw weight at the end of 2014 you are pretty much guaranteed there will be another headline female event at some point now they have 2 weight divisions. Hopefully the next one we will be where Ash Daly takes the belt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Axwell wrote: »
    The majority of people who watch MMA over the last few years are well aware of who Cyborg is, shes a troubled fighter and for a long time the UFC hasnt wanted anything to do with her. Shes spent the last year or so getting her **** together though and its likely the UFC will make a move to sign her at this stage. However there isnt a chance in hell of Rousey moving up in weight to fight her, shes been very clear that any fight with Cyborg will be when she comes down to 135 to meet Ronda. Shes of the opinion and rightly so that shes the champ and if you want to fight her then you make the sacrifices not her. Its worth noting the Invicta fight on Friday was just a few miles up the road from the Staples centre where UFC 184 was, good chance that there was a meeting at some point between the UFC and Cyborg over the last few days.

I know people are aware of who Cyborg is I was referring to her performance on Friday night as some are saying there's no competition left for Ronda at 135,
    Yeah I agree she's right to say that if that fight was to happen it would be at 135, No advantage should be given as Ronda is the Champion.
    It would be a cracker though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Holly Holm to walk through Pennington within 2 rounds. Interested in the main event. I think Cat's only hope is to out wrestle Rhonda... and I'm not sure how she'll do that.

Well, the co-main was absolute ****e. Pennington is awful, not even main card material let alone co-main event. Holm was average as well for someone with her professional record, but then again, she has 30+ wins and only 9 by KO.

Zigano, however, clearly reads boards, and came out trying to wrestle Rhonda. It didn't end well. Rousey is just slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭cletus

dickwod1 wrote: »
    some are saying there's no competition left for Ronda at 135:

Cyborg fought at 145, weighted in at 144.5. That's probably the closest she's been to 135.

Until she makes 135, there is no competition left for Ronda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Axwell wrote: »

Dana was ringside, the event was streamed on the UFC network.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see miesha tate is looking for another bite of cherry against Rhonda.
    Holm could be an interesting match up a very seasoned fighter all be it in the boxing ring could be worth a punt in a stand up game ,
    Is there any point of Rhonda finishing off the whole division .
    Anyone think she could go up a division at all and hold two tiles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Gatling wrote: »
    I see miesha tate is looking for another bite of cherry against Rhonda.
    Holm could be an interesting match up a very seasoned fighter all be it in the boxing ring could be worth a punt in a stand up game ,
    Is there any point of Rhonda finishing off the whole division .
    Anyone think she could go up a division at all and hold two tiles

Holm will be arm barred like everyone else. Really don't see anyone challenging Rousey. Don't see her going catch-weight either, she's the champ, if Cyborg wants the fight she'll have to play on Rousey's terms imo.

Whosthis wrote: »
    Dana was ringside, the event was streamed on the UFC network.

All Invicta fights are on fight pass as of the deal with Zuffa, parent company of the UFC. Lorenzo Fertitta is the one that does the negotiations and its he that was negotiating the deal with Invicta and Zuffa to keep Cyborg contracted, Dana being there has little influence on the matter. Zuffa is the link between the two organisations so as long as she stays contracted then the opportunity is there to move her to the UFC so its in Lorenzos interest to make sure she stays there if they do plan to get her to the UFC. The 135 weight is the only thing stopping the fight at this stage and realistically shes already made an attempt to get there and dropped it so I don't know if its something she can achieve and more so if she does does will she be the same fighter. Taking steroids isnt helping her case and with the step up in drug testing by the UFC it only makes things more complicated for Cyborg and her chances of that fight.

• Advertisement

Besides, who in gods name would want to see a woman getting ko'd by some fella, i know i wouldnt.

if it started and ended on the mat my money would be on Ronda.

Have a look on you tube at vids of her training and messing around with male fighters. she submits as and when she wants

Advertisement