Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Aboard the Bandwagon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"I was supporting Irish Cricket before it was cool"
    Still time for plenty more newcomers so.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gits_bone wrote: »
    What was the highest break in the game?

106 UAE Missed a tricky pink

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

thelad95 wrote: »
    I reckon I could count on one hand the number of players on that team actually born in Ireland.

1 south African, the rest Irish born and bred. Sure why let facts get in the way of a good dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,784 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I was joking ya clown

Martin McGuinness is a Cricket fan I think. Although Cricket is very popular up in the North West anyway.

bilston wrote: »
    Martin McGuinness is a Cricket fan I think.
    Right, I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

at least this team actually delivers at a World Cup.

Playing a game in which millions play.

Im not a great fan, but credit where it is due.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    1 south African, the rest Irish born and bred. Sure why let facts get in the way of a good dig.

This.I'd say with a reasonable degree of confidence that the Irish cricket team is more indigenous than either the rugby (squad more than team I suppose) or football teams.

at least this team actually delivers at a World Cup.

Delivers .....................runs.

UMgB3fg.jpg

EDIT. bah, foiled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Should we all jump from the Rugby bandwagon to the Cricket one or do we stay with Rugby until the 6 nations are over?

Hard to devote time between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well it looks like Williamsborough has fluffed the biggins-end with a counter-spire fox-trump for twenty of a 154. The crowd are clapping politely and eating their cream on scones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Credit where its due, cricket is the most widely played sport in the world (yes more active players than soccer) and is played by a few thousand in Ireland and yet every world cup Ireland have excelled.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Should we all jump from the Rugby bandwagon to the Cricket one or do we stay with Rugby until the 6 nations are over?

Hard to devote time between the two.

For the novelty maybe, but the rugby team are actually pretty good! There is more glory to be had on that wagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

FTA69 wrote: »
    No you weren't. What would they say in South Armagh if you started banging on about cricket?

They'd be right too. Stupid f*cking game.

It's loved in Derry though

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-dresses-up-as-bearded-cricketer-wg-grace-for-northern-ireland-childrens-hospice-fundraising-photograph-31012780.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

What would they say in South Armagh if you started banging on about cricket

"We support Liverpool and Manchester United here" perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

How many home runs did Ireland get this morning.

jamesbere wrote: »
    How many home runs did Ireland get this morning.

More than UAE did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I couldn't give a f*ck where it's popular. My one is from Trinidad and she won't shut up about it. Brian Lara this and wickets and overs that; it's bad enough listening to it off her without seeing it on here as well. It's honestly the most god-awful nonsense I've ever seen, fellas sitting around in the quiet watching fellas standing around in the quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

thelad95 wrote: »
    I reckon I could count on one hand the number of players on that team actually born in Ireland.

More Irish playing for foreign teams than there are foreign players playing for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

In the 80s we all used to play rounders to Dexy and Midnight Runners and Men At Work music. A game which is mash up for baseball and cricket. It was quite enjoyable. Why do economically challenged areas in Dublin never have Cricket clubs. Darndale Cricket Club has a nice ring to it and I'm sure they'd love a game as much their Malahidonian neighbours.

I know they're called Dexy's Midnight Runners but I have allways called them Dexy and the Midnight Runners and I see no reason to stop doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Perfect game for drinking beer all day in the sunshine in some of the most beautiful locations around the world

• Advertisement

I couldn't give a f*ck where it's popular. My one is from Trinidad and she won't shut up about it. Brian Lara this and wickets and overs that; it's bad enough listening to it off her without seeing it on here as well. It's honestly the most god-awful nonsense I've ever seen, fellas sitting around in the quiet watching fellas standing around in the quiet.

You're living with a Trini and hate cricket?

From my time in Trinidad and Tobago I learnt three very simple things

Cricket is a religion worshipped in summer and Brian Lara is God.

the Soca Warriors are a religion followed in winter. Dwight Yorke is God, Shaka Hislop a prophet

Both religions are followed by banging steel drums and drinking copious amounts of Stag beer.

She hates Dwight Yorke because he's a semi-literate Tobagan hillbilly who has ridden all around him while not giving a f*ck and earned millions. For this reason, personally I think he's a legend. The only time I engaged in cricket was to wake her up at 7am to laugh in her face over losing to Ireland, aside from that I still hate it.

Hope to get out to Trinidad now next year and if I manage not to get shot in the face I'll probably end up getting dragged to a game. It's supposed to be better craic over there.

She hates Dwight Yorke because he's a semi-literate Tobagan hillbilly who has ridden all around him while not giving a f*ck and earned millions. For this reason, personally I think he's a legend. The only time I engaged in cricket was to wake her up at 7am to laugh in her face over losing to Ireland, aside from that I still hate it.

Hope to get out to Trinidad now next year and if I manage not to get shot in the face I'll probably end up getting dragged to a game. It's supposed to be better craic over there.

Any live cricket game is better than watching it on tv.

Presuming you enjoy sitting in the sun, drinking beer and having plenty of banter with those around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,148 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I was sure this thread was going to be about Rugby.

Time for tea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

It's a great game, I've loved it since the Windies toured England in the '70s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Lets spend many hours on this.

Any live cricket game is better than watching it on tv.

Presuming you enjoy sitting in the sun, drinking beer and having plenty of banter with those around you.

I saw them at it in Crouch End Cricket Club one Sunday and it was absolutely brutal. No cheering and this sort of apprehensive silence as fellas pottered slowly around a field for hours. I was only there because it was sunny and we could sit on the pavilion with cheap pints. I was only messing about the anti-Brit angle, but as a game it bores me to absolute tears. I mean it's possible to take sh*te games like Darts and make them the best craic ever but cricket is just woeful whatever way I look at it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

We used to play rounders with a hurl and either a tennis ball or handball. Fuckin stupid, if you got any sort smack on the yoke at all it would end up a mile away

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wish I could like cricket

but I can't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Played cricket with my sister as kids in the back garden. I whacked the ball over the back wall and made 118 runs while she ran out the front gate, down the road and round the back lane to retrieve it.

Shortly after that boundaries were introduced into the game.

Advertisement