Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trocaire Boxes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I fill a trocaire box every year and hand it all into the local St Vincent de Paul. They are the only organisation who I will give to that has any link to religion/churchs.

Charity begins at Home!
    Shame about their CEO's salary though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

diddley wrote: »

Did I read correct there earlier, how much is the person getting? Laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

I fill a trocaire box every year and hand it all into the local St Vincent de Paul. They are the only organisation who I will give to that has any link to religion/churchs.

Charity begins at Home!

+1 on the CEO salary.

Also I hope you don't mean that charity has to end at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Baby Jane

thehouses wrote: »
    +1 on the CEO salary.

Yeh I agree with supporting your local and national charities, but charity actually begins where it's most urgently needed, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

worded wrote: »

6 figures anyway, another joke.

• Advertisement

I think the most recent figure from 2012 is between €115k and €125k, they wouldn't narrow it down any further......

I think the most recent figure from 2012 is between €115k and €125k, they wouldn't narrow it down any further......

It's nice to see that the CEO in charge of helping people who fall on hard times earns so much. Can probably relate to them better that way.

It's nice to see that the CEO in charge of helping people who fall on hard times earns so much. Can probably relate to them better that way.

Makes me almost regret not being religious... Judgement day and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

whatever is collected locally stays locally and each local group sends a small amount to HQ to cover national administration salaries etc

Of all "aid" to foreign countries only about 1-2% comes from charities, most is world bank loans etc

also for every euro paid to these multinational business that masquerade as charitable institutions only about 10% actually goes on the people it is collected for, about 10cent of every euro actually reaches Africa/Asia/South America and gets spent on the poor. The rest goes on the company and paying for staff and administration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

whatever is collected locally stays locally and each local group sends a small amount to HQ to cover national administration salaries etc

Sending hundreds of thousands of euros to cover HQ is more than a small amount tbf.

• Advertisement

Of all "aid" to foreign countries only about 1-2% comes from charities, most is world bank loans etc

also for every euro paid to these multinational business that masquerade as charitable institutions only about 10% actually goes on the people it is collected for, about 10cent of every euro actually reaches Africa/Asia/South America and gets spent on the poor. The rest goes on the company and paying for staff and administration.

Do you have a source on how much the world bank gives? Would be curious to see it is all.

You have the 10% thing wrong - modern charities normally spend around 10% on administration costs with the rest going to those who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Whos worked up?
    Theres a little concern and bemusement that a charity who claim to help victims of overpopulation attributed famine, poverty and HIV have affiliation to a religion which stands against contraception, family planning and HIV resisting condoms.

Should all the good things and good people associated with that religion be forgotten or tarnished just because of a minority of evil individuals and backward beliefs, which most people don't actually believe anymore anyway?
    CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Filling them with money is only lining the pockets of the parish priest and the ceos etc.

Ah good old generalization alive and well it seems.

I honestly think if Trocaire had a Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist ethos none of these issues would ever come up.

People are just so blinded by irrational hysterical hatred of Catholicism/Christianity in this country that they refuse to see the good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm giving them same as last year, nothing but instead making a charitable contribution to Crumlin hospital for sick children in our own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

We could never manage to assemble the box in our house, so it was never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I honestly think if Trocaire had a Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist ethos none of these issues would ever come up.
    Probably, but only because they would as a result be a tiny charity that nobody's heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Bishop Casey and Trocaire

Give a little, it would help me mot

Anyone remember that one?
    CJ Haughey wrote: »
    6 figures anyway, another joke.

what should a CEO earn? Humour me and tell me .
    cos it sounds like you are just ranting for the sake of it with no info for back up.

The days of charities being run part time by holier-than-thou folk for a few buscuits is long gone. they need to be professionally run.
    125k is a good salary but given the size of the organisation it's not excessive when compared to other CEOs. You think they'd want to hire a decent guy to run the show - that would seem normal to me.

If you want it for free you go back to the days of some auld lad running the show as a part-time post retirement gig.The days of charities being run part time by holier-than-thou folk for a few buscuits is long gone. they need to be professionally run.

anyway did the annual report not state :

91 cent out of every €1.00 donated by our supporters is spent on the organisation's direct charitable expenditure

admitedly english isn't my first language but 91% hit rate is fairly decent in any organisation.

Yeah I'll believe some load of nonsense from a person pushing their atheist agenda against all the obvious good that we saw being done over the decades :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even waste my time reading it.

Are you not pushing your catholic agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Are you not pushing your catholic agenda?

touché

+1 on the CEO salary.

I always laugh when I see people going mad when they see that the CEO of a charity is on a large salary. Of course they are on a large salary, they are employed by the charity to run the charity as a business. If you want a proper CEO you have to pay them appropriately. The CEO is not a volunteer or even someone who is a charitable person necessarily, they are employed to do a job.

Pay peanuts and you get a monkey and the charity will fail just like a business will and then nobody will be helped at all by them when their doors are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I always laugh when I see people going mad when they see that the CEO of a charity is on a large salary. Of course they are on a large salary, they are employed by the charity to run the charity as a business. If you want a proper CEO you have to pay them appropriately. The CEO is not a volunteer or even someone who is a charitable person necessarily, they are employed to do a job.

Pay peanuts and you get a monkey and the charity will fail just like a business will and then nobody will be helped at all by them when their doors are closed.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I've never given a penny to any business with a CEO masquerading as a charity and I never will. Conversely, I'd have no problem supporting a business doing charitable work, at least they are upfront and honest in their intentions.

• Advertisement

I always laugh when I see people insisting that these CEOs deserve their salary. The bankers on obscene money and they were useless. Also, I would not pay them peanuts but rather a fair wage.

Anyone who thinks that the money you give to Crumlin goes directly to help sick children is being led on too. My cousin is going out with a consultant who works in Crumlin sometimes. I was sickened to find out what he gets paid to perform an operation in Crumlin and he raises plenty of money for them for charity. He is basically paying his own wage as all he does is charge less to perform operations and call it charity. I was raging when I heard this.

Person in getting paid the going rate for their job shocker :eek:

Do you really expect people to work for less than they can, would you do it? Especially after the long hard road to a very high pressure job like being a consultant.
    I always laugh when I see people insisting that these CEOs deserve their salary. The bankers on obscene money and they were useless. Also, I would not pay them peanuts but rather a fair wage.

125k is a low wage really for a CEO of an organisation the size of many charitys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Do you really expect people to work for less than they can, would you do it? Especially after the long hard road to a very high pressure job like being a consultant.

125k is a low wage really for a CEO of an organisation the size of many charitys.

I'm not undermining how long he spent training and working to get to where he is. What I have a problem with is, don't do work under the premise of charity work, when it's not really. You're still doing consultancy work but only slightly lower than the going rate of a normal operation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Should all the good things and good people associated with that religion be forgotten or tarnished just because of a minority of evil individuals and backward beliefs, which most people don't actually believe anymore anyway?

You never tire of this tactic, the old 'Don't tar them all with the one brush' line when no one is doing anything of the kind. Im not talking about individuals. I am talking very specifically about the one true church, the RCC who very very specifically and obsessively promote their ethos that contraception and birth control are evil. Regardless of what ever kind acts individuals may perform in poorer countries, if they are part of an ethos which has beliefs which compound the problems facing these countries they should not be supported. Medicines sans frontier and The Red Cross are better suited for charitable donations.
    But on a slight side track how many of you good folk who don't believe these core beliefs of Catholicism yet still claim to be Catholic.... but that's always a car crash debate!

People are just so blinded by irrational hysterical hatred of Catholicism/Christianity in this country that they refuse to see the good in it.

Islam, Judaism and Buddism don't have a history here so that's a dumb argument.
    I can counter this with 'People are so blinded by their childhood indoctrination into Catholicism that they cant see the damage they have done and continue to do'.

€50,000 off that wage would save a huge amount of people and still leave you with a person that is more than capable of doing the job. A large pay-packet does not mean you have the right person for the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I'll save everyone the read of Mr. Ingonito's report.

It says the CEO is on €225k a year plus undefined top ups, last year all the donations were ate up in administration charges which is why we have to do better this year.

Is this why everyone did the ice bucket challenge and donated to MND because the CEO was working for free and not getting a large sum? :):)

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Is this why everyone did the ice bucket challenge and donated to MND because the CEO was working for free and not getting a large sum? :):)

That was part of my motivation - I researched what the CEO was earning before accepting the challenge. I accept I am probably in the minority in that regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

That was part of my motivation - I researched what the CEO was earning before accepting the challenge. I accept I am probably in the minority in that regard.

https://www.alzheimer.ie/Alzheimer/media/SiteMedia/ImageSlider/Fixed/Daily-Mail-Piece_1.pdf

They wouldn't reveal their salary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

A good catholic would do it for less. Jesus would do it for free.:)

• Advertisement

Gits_bone wrote: »

I was led to believe it was for the Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association.

See:
    http://imnda.ie/statement-on-salaries-and-payments/

"our CEO was paid €65,000."

Advertisement