Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just purchased a New Leaf SVE.. ESB Install timeframe??

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

peposhi wrote:
    I got my Leaf lat Saturday. Tomorrow I am getting the HCP installed. I guess that's fast... I even tried to ask for a tethered cable. The guy said if he has one, he will install it.

Good luck mate.. Let us know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

simdan wrote: »
    Good luck mate.. Let us know how it goes!

I got a tethered unit installed. I did ask for it in advance though when I organised a day and time for the install.
    It is not operational yet as there is some problem with the way my house was powered by the builder. Still to find out when this will be sorted and the unit will be fully operational.
    Main thing - tethered units are still available.
    Hope other new Leaf/EV owners get as lucky as I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm still strongly of the opinion that tethered units are totally the wrong way to go.

Several of the US forums are starting to see regular reports of cable failure on tethered EVSEs.

And having moved on from the Leaf to an EV with a type 2 connector, public J1772 tethered EVSEs are the bane of my existence.
    For public use in particular they might as well not have put in an EVSE at all.

The european standard is the Type 2 mennekes socket... and everyone got a cable from type 2 to whatever with their car.

So, I have finally gotten over 50 posts and I can insert links.. :)

Here are some pics of my lovely Leaf from the passed few months. There are photos of the interior, exterior, charging install, public charging points and how the range fares compared to actual mileage and of course my all important victory on building up a full 5 eco trees, 22% & 35km range!

Enjoy ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cp4e2dhfniqlm7z/AADRIZrQiUrWBxE4Npj8naBza?dl=0

Nice one, same as mine, same colour and spec, very similar reg to mine too ! :D

Changing the REG and parking lights to LED make a big difference too. Wish I could figure out the bulb in the day time running lights, why they didn't use LED is beyond me the halogens look crap, I'd nearly leave the LED headlights on all the time because when they're on the halogens switch off.

• Advertisement

Changing the REG and parking lights to LED make a big difference too. Wish I could figure out the bulb in the day time running lights, why they didn't use LED is beyond me the halogens look crap, I'd nearly leave the LED headlights on all the time because when they're on the halogens switch off.

Yep, those pics are of the upgraded reg plate leds and parking lights. Maybe not the best photos! I totally agree, these days I leave the headlights on at all times.. Love this car!!!
    Nice one, same as mine, same colour and spec, very similar reg to mine too !
    Yep! It's the best colour and option in my opinion:) Saw a dublin reg the same as ours with an old lady driving very slow lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Nice one, same as mine, same colour and spec, very similar reg to mine too ! :D

The DRLs are a wedge bulb that I haven't found a match for, no off-the-shelf LED replacement :(

These should fit the reg plate and front parking:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-127996000KX2-X-tremeVision-6000K-CeraLight/dp/B00OYT1322/

cros13 wrote: »
    The DRLs are a wedge bulb, no off-the-shelf LED replacement :(

I have looked into this before on mynissanleaf.com and They're not standard bulbs afaik ? The DRL's are 35 watts. (or 13 watts not 35 ?)

The DRL's are part of the fog lights also, 2 bulbs.

Has anyone received the mail from the esb on the home charger replacement part that may be faulty?

Does anybody know what the affected part is?

Here is part of the mail

We have been contacted by ABL Sursum and due to a minor manufacturing error with a plastic part some units can develop a rattling noise.

simdan wrote: »
    Has anyone received the mail from the esb on the home charger replacement part that may be faulty?

Does anybody know what the affected part is?

Here is part of the mail

We have been contacted by ABL Sursum and due to a minor manufacturing error with a plastic part some units can develop a rattling noise.

Yep, I got it, don't know what part it is, doubt it's anything major there's not really a lot in them anyway.

• Advertisement

Yep, I got it, don't know what part it is, doubt it's anything major there's not really a lot in them anyway.

Yeah, I haven't noticed any problems with it anyway. Let's see if we notice what it is, I'm going to let them do it while I'm at work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

cros13 wrote: »
    I'm still strongly of the opinion that tethered units are totally the wrong way to go.

Several of the US forums are starting to see regular reports of cable failure on tethered EVSEs.

And having moved on from the Leaf to an EV with a type 2 connector, public J1772 tethered EVSEs are the bane of my existence.
    For public use in particular they might as well not have put in an EVSE at all.

The european standard is the Type 2 mennekes socket... and everyone got a cable from type 2 to whatever with their car.

As an electronics engineer I can testify that cables that are properly strain relieved and terminated are far more reliable then connectors. Connectors are the most unreliable part of any power distribution system.

Home EVSEs given the low frequency of use, should not experience premature cable fraying, if they are it's merely an indication , of bad engineering.

The fact also is that a cable connected into a plug , is a " thethered " cable. It needs proper strain relieving at the connector or it will fray there. ( as any trip to a building site will happily demonstrate. "

The use of a thethered evse at home is very convienent, allowing the user to plug in quickly and without fumbling around

With the current ridiculous price of the menneseke connector , all it does by adding it is raise the price.

I would not recommend thethered for public charging as the exposed cable is a vandalism target , but that's s different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Does "thethered" mean the unit has the cable permanently connected, and its just a matter of connecting to the car ? If so thats what I want. Don't want to be taking out a cable every night and plugging into the car and the wall.

How safe/childproof are these units. I'm living in a housing estate and the entrance to the rear of my house is reasonably narrow, and kids could be hitting off it bringing in and out bikes & karts etc...

steelboots wrote: »
    Does "thethered" mean the unit has the cable permanently connected, and its just a matter of connecting to the car ? If so thats what I want. Don't want to be taking out a cable every night and plugging into the car and the wall.

How safe/childproof are these units. I'm living in a housing estate and the entrance to the rear of my house is reasonably narrow, and kids could be hitting off it bringing in and out bikes & karts etc...

Yes, tethered means the cable is permanent. I honestly don't have a problem with using the cable supplied with the car, it's a 1 min Job and I throw it on the back seat or in the boot, no big deal.

These cables are expensive so I don't know how they will hold up out doors all the time and you'd want to make sure water can't get at the connections.

They are perfectly safe, there is no power at the plug until it knows there is a car connected.

I wouldn't bother with the tethered unit if it's much more expensive, just use the cable supplied.

Also if you change to another Ev the tethered unit will be useless because guaranteed the new Ev will not have a Type I Socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I got mine ESB installed charge point replaced on Monday as it was faulty i.e. not charging my car.

The guy who fitted it said that the issue in the letter was a plastic piece in the unit had a bit of a "nipple" from the moulding process and that the manufacturer was supplying a replacement part that was smooth. Apparently it caused some clicking noises or something....

Advertisement