Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just purchased a New Leaf SVE.. ESB Install timeframe??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Did you get a tethered evse ? I was told I couldn't have one even If i pay for it because they don't do them.

They also won't give you a 32 amp EVSE in Ireland either for some stupid reason, not even if you pay for it unless the contractor way telling porkies !

Apparently, "they" (I assume the ESB) supplied 5m tethered cables to the Installer "in error" a while back, so those who asked for tethered cables got a 5m cable. When the Installer ordered more 5m cables, he was told about the error and was then supplied with only 3m tethered cables, so that's all he can get now.

I decided to go with the standard non-tethered installation in the end; yeah, I can park within the 3m of my charging point, but I just want the extra couple of meters for handiness (basically, I just want to be able to park my car 'straight' rather than at an angle (to enable the 3m cable to reach))...

Main reason I wanted the tethered cable was so I wouldn't need to be wrapping up a wet cable into the boot at 5am! Meh, I'll put up with it! I got a nice rubber/plastic 'bucket' type thingy in Lidl that fits in my boot to put the cable in if it gets wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

toadfly wrote: »
    So no chance of tethered charge point at home? I will be pushing for one when I get the call, the fuse box is less than 10m from where charge point will be and can park the car very close to it so the 3m should be loads. I will wait for one rather than get a non-tethered one installed as I have the granny cable as backup. Only applied this morning so will be a few weeks I guess.

Do they just install during office hours? Dont particularly want to take a half day to get it done!

What's tethered or untethered ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Markcheese wrote: »
    What's tethered or untethered ?

Cable attached to the charge point or not..

he was told about the error and was then supplied with only 3m tethered cables, so that's all he can get now.

I was told I could not have a tethered EVSE even if I paid extra for it.

What is the contractors name ? first name of course ? Or PM it to me,

I was told I could not have a tethered EVSE even if I paid extra for it.

What is the contractors name ? first name of course ? Or PM it to me,

Isn't it the one guy from Waterford that has the contract?

• Advertisement

Isn't it the one guy from Waterford that has the contract?

Think that might be him. First name begin with N ?

Think that might be him. First name begin with N ?

Think so. Waiting on a call from him so will let you know how I get on.

Think so. Waiting on a call from him so will let you know how I get on.

Ok, cheers.

Yes, you're right... Same installer all round I think...

So do they install a tethered evse or not if you ask for it ?

• Advertisement

I asked him about it and he gave me the chapter & verse (outlined in a previous post). I had a choice; if you say nothing, you get the non-tethered. I assume if you ask for it, you'll get tethered.

I'm reluctant to say with 100% certainty that he had 3m tethered cables in the van with him when he visited, but I got the impression he had...

I had specifically requested a tethered evse and told they don't supply tethered.

I had specifically requested a tethered evse and told they don't supply tethered.

I replied to the email I got from ESB telling me it would be two weeks for install asking for the unit to be tethered. Just got a reply that they dont do tether anymore.

"We no longer stock the tethered units.

Due to the different types of in-lets at the vehicle side we have had to purchase the socket type units only.
    ESB ecars have committed to installing the 1st 2000 charge points free.
    It would be unfair if we are not able to provide a charge point to those customers because the vehicle does not have the correct in-let.
    The socket type units are universal to all major manufactures of electric vehicles and this is why we have adopted it for our Domestic and Public charge points."

"We no longer stock the tethered units..."

Yes; key phrase is no longer.
    A mate of mine has a tethered cable and he finds it mightily handy... Pity they're not an option anymore.
    It does perhaps indicate that I may not have had the option last week either...

Due to the different types of in-lets at the vehicle side we have had to purchase the socket type units only.
    ESB ecars have committed to installing the 1st 2000 charge points free.
    It would be unfair if we are not able to provide a charge point to those customers because the vehicle does not have the correct in-let.
    The socket type units are universal to all major manufactures of electric vehicles and this is why we have adopted it for our Domestic and Public charge points."[/COLOR]

I can understand why the public standard charge points are un-tethered but no reason the home evse's can't be.

The offer this in the U.K just BS from the ESB ! Surely they know the majority of electrics sold are leaf's and Zoe's but the vast majority are leaf's so they should have x amount of thethered in stock and offer them if requested or at least give you the bloody option even to pay extra, but Oh no it can't be done and that's that. Same as Apartment owners are being told no by management companies and people by Co. Councils, always the same in Ireland, "can't be done, now please don't bother me with silly nonsense"

For the rest of ev's, they can order a certain amount and have them in stock.

I mean , we are paying for them in a way through taxation so surely we should have the option ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

I asked him about it and he gave me the chapter & verse (outlined in a previous post). I had a choice; if you say nothing, you get the non-tethered. I assume if you ask for it, you'll get tethered.

I'm reluctant to say with 100% certainty that he had 3m tethered cables in the van with him when he visited, but I got the impression he had...

Same here Shane, he said I could have the tethered option but he convinced me against it.

3m is surprisingly short and cannot be updated in future if you change your car.

Loving my leaf, the passed 2 weeks have been great. I'm doing my 120km round trip on a single home charge with 25km range left(12-15% charge) when I get home. I do not use motorway anymore as it destroys your range, using back roads is actually a slightly shorter journey. I've realised the constant power required for motorway driving really doesn't help with little or no braking/recharge ability. You can cruise at the speed limit on 60, 80 & 100kmh roads and the car really does well. The main thing to remember is check the sat nav for alternatives to motorway routes.

Another tip in the cold weather is to set the temp to 17.5 degrees and press the auto button. It barely affects the consumption unlike setting the aircon/heat system yourself.

If you really don't want any range loss you should use the heated steering wheel and seats which use the 12v battery and don't affect range.

Off to work!

I set the heat to 19 deg and it doesn't consume much at all after it's warmed up, less than 800 watts and sometimes it doesn't consume power at all, in fact mostly with the heat pump the rest of the electrics in the car are consuming more power than the heater, who would have ever thought that ? Turn on the heated mirrors and rear defog and your consumption will be far greater than the heater. The real range killer are strong winds and a cold battery !

I travel the motorway and old N9 and travel at about 100-110 Kmh mostly, when i get to work I've 45-50% battery after 64 Kms and by the time I get to Naas I have 20-23% after 84 Kms.

I top up at Naas from about 20-60% and find it much faster than going from 40-80%, why ? because the charge current is always greater at lower charge % than high. For instance at 50% you could be charging at 28-30 Kw and 80% maybe 10-12 Kw but at 20% it could be 45 Kw.

You'll warm the battery up faster in Summer when you charge up at a lower charge %.

I get home with around 20% battery, meaning I could get away instead of a 15 min QC maybe 5-10 mins but i don't want to arrive home with a very low battery which isn't so good, but fast charge top ups are better too from 20-30% to 60% only use what you need.

Moral of the story is, I don't have to drive slow or avoid the motorway and I probably drive a bit faster than in the Prius because I'm not concerned about the fuel costs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

On the subject of waiting time to get the home charge point installed, I completed the form on the ESB site on Tuesday of last week, and I received a call earlier to say that the contractor will be calling to fit it tomorrow morning. Not bad at all, and it means I'll have the charger when I pick up the car which is exactly what I wanted.

I'm getting my night meter installed tomorrow ! :-)

Benny_Cake wrote:
    On the subject of waiting time to get the home charge point installed, I completed the form on the ESB site on Tuesday of last week, and I received a call earlier to say that the contractor will be calling to fit it tomorrow morning. Not bad at all, and it means I'll have the charger when I pick up the car which is exactly what I wanted.

Nice! I can't believe how used to the car I am after only 2 weeks. Loving it! Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Just for info, I know someone who got a tethered one this week. Had to "argue" with the installer for one. Installer kept saying he only had a few left so they asked "well who are you keeping them for?" Installer then tried to convince them lead was too short so couldn't install where they wanted, measuring tape proved him wrong and he relented.

So seems he does a have a few but does not like to install them.

It's just the Irish way of doing things, can't be bothered, don't annoy me. You're the customer so who do you think you are attitude !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

So is it up to me to choose/fight for the type I want to get installed then?
    On what grounds can I insist to have the tethered one installed?

peposhi wrote: »
    So is it up to me to choose/fight for the type I want to get installed then?
    On what grounds can I insist to have the tethered one installed?

You can't insist because you're not paying for it. It's part of the grant. So technically you take what you're given.

They won't offer the 32 amp or tethered EVSe in Ireland, at the very least they should allow someone to have the choice if they pay extra which I was more than willing but told "no can't be done" end of story.

Of course they have a BS story about charge port compatibility, but 99% of electrics sold are the Leaf, hardly going to be many compatibility issues !!!

Surely they can buy Normal EVSE for the 1% of non leafs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

You can't insist because you're not paying for it. It's part of the grant. So technically you take what you're given.

They won't offer the 32 amp or tethered EVSe in Ireland, at the very least they should allow someone to have the choice if they pay extra which I was more than willing but told "no can't be done" end of story.

Of course they have a BS story about charge port compatibility, but 99% of electrics sold are the Leaf, hardly going to be many compatibility issues !!!

Surely they can buy Normal EVSE for the 1% of non leafs ?

I disagree. Leaf sales are about 85% of EV sales in Ireland not 99%. The sensible thing is to provide socketed Type 2 chargers. I wholeheartedly agree that we should be able to pay a little more for a 32A charger.
    Having information on 32A charger use would also help eCar's research goals. A population forced on to 16A charging is not going to give an accurate picture of what widespread EV use would actually look like to the power grid.

The Leaf's Type 1 J1772 connector will be phased out (probably in the next two years). Type 2 Mode 3 is better in every way than J1772 bar the ability to use a padlock on the plug (who does that?).

Tethered EVSEs have a heck of a large point of failure in that fixed cable. When (not just if) you need to replace it: disconnecting, returning under warranty and reconnecting is going to cost almost as much as a new EVSE.

If you change your EV in the future, given the install base of public chargers the one guarantee you have is that an adapter cable will exist from whatever connector is on your car to Type 2 Mode 3 Mennekes.

If you don't want to have to take the cable out of the boot/frunk when you get home, just buy another cable (T2 to J1772 can now be bought for under €100, T2 to T2 for under €70).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I'm getting my night meter installed tomorrow ! :-)

Is that part of the existing free esb install?

Was at the SEAI show today and took a test drive and as they have a 4k scrappage deal to end of month I am thinking of buying one.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Is that part of the existing free esb install?

Was at the SEAI show today and took a test drive and as they have a 4k scrappage deal to end of month I am thinking of buying one.
    Thanks

No the night meter was installed by the ESB for free because they allow you to change your meter once.

Because we went direct debit and paperless the day rate actually works out about 1c cheaper per Kwh.+ you can put Tesco vouchers off the bill too.

The rental is about 50 Extra per year so it's a no brainer.

BTW I'm with Bord Gais.

Was at the SEAI show today and took a test drive and as they have a 4k scrappage deal to end of month I am thinking of buying one. Thanks

You should seriously think about it.. its an awesome car and with little or no monthly fuel charges the numbers just make sense!

I wouldn't go back to petrol or especially diesel as my main car again.

I need a 15 min qc daily and I could get away with less bit I don't want to arrive home with a very low battery. I do about 85 miles a day.

I'm hoping work will install the charge point soon.

We have 2 cars and will use the diesel for the really long trips, and to keep the miles off the leaf for the lease. In nearly 9 weeks the Leaf has met 100% of my driving needs.

As good as the Leaf is it won't suit everyone but it does what it does brilliantly , range is an issue for many but in just 2-3 years this will be much less of a problem with 200 miles range promised from many manufacturers.

I hope Leaf II has more than just more range, I hope it has more power too. And more gadgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I got my Leaf lat Saturday. Tomorrow I am getting the HCP installed. I guess that's fast... I even tried to ask for a tethered cable. The guy said if he has one, he will install it.

Advertisement