Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just purchased a New Leaf SVE.. ESB Install timeframe??

Options
  • 22-02-2015 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm new to posting on boards, although I have been reading through this awesome forum for a while now. Hopefully I am posting in the correct place.

I recently had my 07 Passat 2.0TDI serviced and was told I needed a lot of repairs including new tyres all round. With the 700euro road tax renewal coming up it made me look at the leaf far more seriously. I weighed up the numbers and realised with my daily round trip of 100km the Leaf worked out perfectly. I visited Hutton & Meade in Blanch and left an hour later after placing an order! They have my car in stock, grey with all the extras and that lovely leather. I was so surprised how well built and well finished the cars are.

I ordered the car on Tuesday 17th Feb and received the ESB email saying they would contact me soon to arrange the Home Charge Install.

My questions are,

1. How long does it take for the ESB to contact you and install the device at your home?

2. How long does it take to receive the SEI Access Card for public charging?

3. Is there anything I need to know or should be aware of when collecting the car?

Cannot wait to get it at this stage, it's the first time I've bought a new car or spent this amount of money!

Cheers and thanks in advance

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Congrats Dan!
    I received my confirmation from the ESB that I'm entitled to a home charging point on last Monday 16-Feb with the standard "works will be carried out in no more than 2 working weeks" & that my RFID Charging Card was in the post. I haven't heard anything yet about the home charging point but will rattle their cage tomorrow if I don't hear anything.
    I picked up my Leaf last Wednesday and the RFID Charging Card arrived in the post the same day.
    I'll update you on the home charging point when I hear something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Congrats Dan!
    I received my confirmation from the ESB that I'm entitled to a home charging point on last Monday 16-Feb with the standard "works will be carried out in no more than 2 working weeks" & that my RFID Charging Card was in the post. I haven't heard anything yet about the home charging point but will rattle their cage tomorrow if I don't hear anything.
    I picked up my Leaf last Wednesday and the RFID Charging Card arrived in the post the same day.
    I'll update you on the home charging point when I hear something...

Awesome, Thanks very much Shane! I received my 1st confirmation saying that they'd contact me shortly on Wednesday, so maybe a week behind you? I think I will do the same, as soon as the RFID Access Card arrives I will pick the car up. There is one charging port at work, but 4 Leaf drivers so may have to use the dealer's fast charger. Looking forward to picking it up!!

Just spoke to ESB; they say they're swamped and can't fast track any applications :-/
    It could be next week before I get the home charging point installed; over 2 weeks since I received confirmation that they'll install it for me. Hmmm... it is what it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Hmm, if I'm going to get a Leaf then I'd better get moving before all the free installations run out!

Bit of a nuisance that it's taking so long all the same. How are you managing with the Leaf in the meantime Shane? Hope there's a fast charger near you.

Just spoke to ESB; they say they're swamped and can't fast track any applications :-/
    It could be next week before I get the home charging point installed; over 2 weeks since I received confirmation that they'll install it for me. Hmmm... it is what it is...

Thanks for the update Shane.. That's not too bad I suppose. My colleague ordered the Leaf last Monday, received the ESB approval mail today and has been told 2 weeks, hopefully I will have my confirmation tomorrow. I'm thinking of buying a Granny Cable online to allow me to pick up the Car this week!

How are you getting on not having access to a home charge?

• Advertisement

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Hmm, if I'm going to get a Leaf then I'd better get moving before all the free installations run out!

Bit of a nuisance that it's taking so long all the same. How are you managing with the Leaf in the meantime Shane? Hope there's a fast charger near you.

One of many reasons I made the purchase :D

So.. I spoke to the dealership today.. They are awaiting the acceptance letter from the SEI for the government grant. They expect this by Friday and have said that I can take the car from then as they wouldn't register the car before this is received.

Unfortunately they only have one granny cable and can't loan it as it's paired with the demo car. He assured me that the ESB would install the home charger will be installed by the end of next week and said would put pressure on them to prioritise.

I now have high hopes, although will be happy to live without the home charger for a few weeks I suppose. Finger's crossed that I will have the car by Saturday :D

Benny_Cake wrote: »

A "bit of a nuisance"? Understatement of the year! :(
    Unfortunately I live nowhere near a public charging point (nearest standard charging point is about 20km away with the nearest fast-charging point about 32km away). Fortunately though I can charge at work but as my daily commute is around 122km, it doesn't leave much in the tank for journeys outside this.
    Thankfully I have a loan of a granny cable from a friend but I'm not fond of using an expensive piece of kit that's not my own for too long. Anyway, I may have to return it tomorrow.
    Here's hoping I get a call from the ESB today :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How much are the granny cables? If a share of boarsdsies clubbed together would they be able to get them more reasonably ?
    And should they really come as standard with the car - seem like pretty essential kit to me

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

They're essential kit if you don't have a home charger. The reason I have a loan of one is because my friend reckons they never use theirs and only have it for emergencies (I think they've only used it once in two years)...

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    How much are the granny cables? If a share of boarsdsies clubbed together would they be able to get them more reasonably ?
    And should they really come as standard with the car - seem like pretty essential kit to me

They are €800 from Nissan which is quite expensive.. I'd be happy to club together if we could get a significant discount...

Might be worth contacting this guy (somewhere around Naas); http://theevcompany.com/product/evse-3pin-plug-10amp-charger-nissan-leaf/...

So, I received a call from the ESB installer this morning. He is coming out at 10am tomorrow. I was shocked and happy at the same time. He said it will take 1.5 hours to install. I will let you know how it goes. The strange thing is I haven't received the confirmation email from ESB which includes the SEI confirmation yet?

The dealer said that I should hopefully be able to pick the car up on Friday.. :D EXCITED!

Might be worth contacting this guy (somewhere around Naas);

Cheers bud, I have already. He is expecting to have spurious Granny Cables in mid March for around the €400 mark

simdan wrote: »
    So, I received a call from the ESB installer this morning. He is coming out at 10am tomorrow. I was shocked and happy at the same time. He said it will take 1.5 hours to install. I will let you know how it goes. The strange thing is I haven't received the confirmation email from ESB which includes the SEI confirmation yet?

The dealer said that I should hopefully be able to pick the car up on Friday.. :D EXCITED!

Great stuff! I suppose you couldn't send him down the N81 after he's finished, could you? :p

Great stuff! I suppose you couldn't send him down the N81 after he's finished, could you? :p

lol!! I will tell him to take a spin down to you!!

I still haven't received the confirmation from ESB, so unsure if the card has been dispatched yet.

Congrats ! well done , I missed this, I should check for new threads now and again !

Do a full review.

I love my SVE , drove it today while I'm off shift and it's a lot of fun with eco off, in normal drive, twisty roads are brilliant in the leaf.

Plugged into the Standard street points in Carlow Town and Athy, still glad I got the 6.6 Kw charger.

Do a full review with pics.

I love my SVE , drove it today while I'm off shift and it's a lot of fun with eco off, in normal drive, twisty roads are brilliant in the leaf.

Cannot wait to take it for a proper drive! looking at your pics I'm really happy with making the same choice as you. Hopefully will have it by Friday 😊 Will definitely be doing a review 😉

Still waiting on the ESB to install my home charging point. Halfway through the 3 week waiting period they say the work will be done in...

This is starting to take the gloss of my venture into EV-land :mad:

Still waiting on the ESB to install my home charging point. Halfway through the 3 week waiting period they say the work will be done in...

This is starting to take the gloss of my venture into EV-land :mad:

Make sure you measure the cable run, the contractor will not run the cable beyond 10 meters.

I had to run the cable myself through the house and he put a junction box and ran another cable from that, threw it over the shed roof rather than tack it along the wall. I wasn't impressed.

I'd really like to know how much the contractor gets paid for such a tiny simple cable run.

• Advertisement

Meter box is less than 10m from main fuse board so I should be alright... I hope.

OK, the installation of the home charging point is complete! Yay!!
    It seems the installation procedure has changed in that I've seen older installs where there was no wiring from the fuse board but rather *all* from the meter box. A warning sticker then went on the charge point saying it was still live even if the main switch was tripped.
    Now, it's all done from the fuse board; nothing to do with the meter box. Obviously a safer system...
    The Engineer ran a cable (way less than 10m needed) from the fuse board to outside (for the charge point). A very tidy job. If anyone reckons the cable run from their fuse board to the outside wall (to locate the charge point) needs conduit (or at least, you want to hide the cable), then do this in advance.
    I wanted a tethered cable (it'd save having to load up a wet cable into the boot at 5:15am of a weekday morning) but all he had was 3m cables, so I didn't bother; the 3m cable is very restrictive when I measured it.
    Total job took about an hour. All good...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Can the home charge points be moved to a different house? I'm renting at present so wondering if/when i eventually move can the unit be taken out and installed at another house.

OK, the installation of the home charging point is complete! Yay!!
    It seems the installation procedure has changed in that I've seen older installs where there was no wiring from the fuse board but rather *all* from the meter box. A warning sticker then went on the charge point saying it was still live even if the main switch was tripped.
    Now, it's all done from the fuse board; nothing to do with the meter box. Obviously a safer system...
    The Engineer ran a cable (way less than 10m needed) from the fuse board to outside (for the charge point). A very tidy job. If anyone reckons the cable run from their fuse board to the outside wall (to locate the charge point) needs conduit (or at least, you want to hide the cable), then do this in advance.
    I wanted a tethered cable (it'd save having to load up a wet cable into the boot at 5:15am of a weekday morning) but all he had was 3m cables, so I didn't bother; the 3m cable is very restrictive when I measured it.

Nice one Shane, glad it's finally done!! The installer is a knowledgeable and decent guy! I have been driving all over the place and use every excuse to take her for a spin!

For some reason the carwings still hasnt been set up, so I will continue to chase the dealership.

Next action is to get more chargers at work as we now have 6 leaf drivers with only one standard charge point. My 120Km round trip, especially in this cold weather is a tight run so have been charging up with a local fast charge on the way home, just to be safe of course! I don't want to get stuck! I have major Range anxiety.

One of the guys at work showed me that you can add the battery percentage on the dash by repeatedly pressing the "2 square" button next to trip until it displays what you would like to display. Far more accurate than the Km reading..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

s.welstead wrote: »
    Can the home charge points be moved to a different house? I'm renting at present so wondering if/when i eventually move can the unit be taken out and installed at another house.

No reason why any electrician couldn't move it for you.

But charge points have got cheaper in recent years. You can now get a 32Amp Rolec charge point (better than the 16Amp the ESB provides) for €350-€450 from the UK. Really simple, Any electrician can fit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

cros13 wrote: »
    No reason why any electrician couldn't move it for you.

But charge points have got cheaper in recent years. You can now get a 32Amp Rolec charge point (better than the 16Amp the ESB provides) for €350-€450 from the UK. Really simple, Any electrician can fit them.

Brilliant, cheers for that. I've a few electrician friends so shouldn't be an issue doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I applied to the ESB to have a home charger fitted today. I'm hoping that it won't take too long, it's good see that people are happy with it once it's done.

Did you get a tethered evse ? I was told I couldn't have one even If i pay for it because they don't do them.

They also won't give you a 32 amp EVSE in Ireland either for some stupid reason, not even if you pay for it unless the contractor way telling porkies !

Next action is to get more chargers at work as we now have 6 leaf drivers with only one standard charge point. My 120Km round trip, especially in this cold weather is a tight run so have been charging up with a local fast charge on the way home, just to be safe of course! I don't want to get stuck! I have major Range anxiety.

Employers and employees need to understand that it wastes a lot of resources and money if employees that do not need to charge are using the charge points.

It should be understood that only those like you and I who travel long distance be allowed to use them. How ridiculous does it sound that someone who drives up to 50-55 miles round trip be allowed to tie up a charge point for someone who needs it ? I have said this here at work that there is no point if 2 people are local and using the charge points and I can't if they get there first. I would gladly share a charge point with someone if needs be, they plug in in the morning and I in the afternoon and so on.

I know other EV owners might see it as favoritism, getting something for free but that's childish,.

It's costing them 8,000 Euro's to have two charge points installed and I told them they didn't need to spend 2 grand if they had listened to what I said was needed, but let them on. I don't care as long as I can charge.
    One of the guys at work showed me that you can add the battery percentage on the dash by repeatedly pressing the "2 square" button next to trip until it displays what you would like to display. Far more accurate than the Km reading..

yeah the range indicator or GOM (Guess-O-Meter) as it' otherwise known isn't the most accurate. If you're driving along and then suddenly put the foot down or climb a big hill 20 Kms could disappear very quickly then you could end up getting 30 Kms back.

I find a general rule is about just over 1Km for every 1% of the battery percentage meter at 100 Kph. Strong headwind could be less in cold weather temp set to 19 deg C. I don't like too much heat in the car and with my coat on i find this plenty inc the heated seat. In fact with the heat pump the heater after the initial warm consumes very little energy <800 watts at 0-3 degrees C. The heated seats are great.

So about 100 Kms at 100 Kph and you'd want to be less than 10 Km from a charge point. In summer this could be 130 Kms at 100 Kph, I have yet to test this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

So no chance of tethered charge point at home? I will be pushing for one when I get the call, the fuse box is less than 10m from where charge point will be and can park the car very close to it so the 3m should be loads. I will wait for one rather than get a non-tethered one installed as I have the granny cable as backup. Only applied this morning so will be a few weeks I guess.

Do they just install during office hours? Dont particularly want to take a half day to get it done!

Advertisement