Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you take a puff?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

One thing I forgot to mention.

I have struggled with my weight since giving up cigarettes. I was slim when I smoked; now I am about three stone overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never smoked and never never will. Its a vile disgusting habit.

I haven't sat in my own sitting room since last August because its been turned into a smoking room and the smoker themselves knows no smoking in the house. Ah but the winter weather, that's tough going, can't have that on them. But its OK to force second hand smoke onto others if they have health issues and can't breathe it in.
    Jsmurff wrote: »
    Move

Bollocks to that. Call the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Never have, never will.

Generally speaking the average age of poster's here seems to be quite young-under 30 for the majority I would guess.

Why have all you smokers chosen to ignore all the widely available information about the dangers of smoking, not to mention the anti social aspect, bad breath, stinking clothes etc etc.

I would have a certain sympathy for those who started when the dangers were not known, but anyone under the age of 30 who decides it's a good idea to smoke even one cigarette really is light on brain cells....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Never have, never will.

Generally speaking the average age of poster's here seems to be quite young-under 30 for the majority I would guess.

Why have all you smokers chosen to ignore all the widely available information about the dangers of smoking, not to mention the anti social aspect, bad breath, stinking clothes etc etc.

I would have a certain sympathy for those who started when the dangers were not known, but anyone under the age of 30 who decides it's a good idea to smoke even one cigarette really is light on brain cells....

If there are two things young teenagers are generally good at it's A: Making stupid choices and B: Thinking they're immortal.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wupucus

I love smoking- smoke 40-50 a day- fully aware of health consequences- no intention of giving them up- cup of coffee and a cig first thing in the morning.... marvellous ..... f....k the begrudgers ..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Tony EH wrote: »
    Bollocks to that. Call the landlord.

As much as I would love to, there is no landlord. I'm at home due to the fact I'm out of work.

My mother wants my sister to stop smoking in the house too but it falls on deaf ears. But its OK I'm making it all up, they see me vomiting into buckets and in the bathroom.

I'm looking at taking up an internship for the experience and I can budget, and I'll be out the door. I can house share with strangers and I never had this lack of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Gave em up a year ago, full-time vaporiser user ever since.

Gave them up mainly because I was fed up with the nonsense of the habit i.e. wondering when I can have my next smoke etc. plus I was 33...I wouldnt want to be still smoking through my 30s and into 40s...would terrified of the aul cancer paying me a visit.

Plus the terrible effects it has on the appearance - you can always tell when someone is a smoker, especially from 40 on. I look a fair bit better these days, better skin, hair, brighter eyes etc.

So glad not to be a smoker any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

wupucus wrote: »
    I love smoking- smoke 40-50 a day- fully aware of health consequences- no intention of giving them up- cup of coffee and a cig first thing in the morning.... marvellous ..... f....k the begrudgers ..
    Is it true love or hopeless addiction?

I used to think I *am* a smoker, it's part of me, it's who I am. then I realised that's bull****, and smoking really isn't that good of an idea.

An aul cigar every now and again would be nice though, I have to admit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

That's a gigantic exaggeration. Unless you have a ridiculously sensitive nose. I don't smoke because it's unhealthy and expensive, some of my friends do but I don't find that they smell bad at all

22 people seem to agree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

You have 22 thanks because you were the very first response, how do you live with such a delicate nose? Do you pass out when you take a poo?

• Advertisement

Someone doesn't know how to use the very simple quote function.

who are you talking to?? Without using the "very simple quote function" it's just impossible to tell!

I have an odd relationship with smoking. I do enjoy it but I don't let it be a constant presence in my life. I might smoke 3 or 4 cigarettes a day for a week or so and then not have any for another week. I guess I'm lucky that I don't really find it addictive as such.

I definitely enjoy them a lot more with alcohol though; if you're having a good night the best chats seem to happen in the smoking room, and if you're having a not so good night disappearing for a cigarette gives you a breather for a few minutes. And yes, I buy my own when I'm socially smoking.

You have 22 thanks because you were the very first response, how do you live with such a delicate nose? Do you pass out when you take a poo?

I can tell you it isn't a gigantic exaggeration. The smell is sickening and can make people sick, its only non-smokers that can pick it up from heavy smokers but they stink and it stays on them, on their clothes all day long.

Maybe it is my delicate nose too, but see my above post I get sick. I get migraines. Its not just a headache, its a like a hangover without drink. You're dizzy, you can't stand the smell of food, can't stand lights, hours of vomiting.

Anything can it bring on eating the wrong foods, stress, perfumes, hot climate, thunder, cigarette smoke, more things I can't think off or a combination of them. For me smells are the biggest trigger, I cannot control them, I cannot control if someone eats a bag of crisps on the bus or wears perfume.

I feel dizzy smelling smoke of people. My sister chain smokes (her reason being, she doesn't want to live till she's 90, but dying younger of a slow painful death is better). She thinks she's finished smoking but the smell lingers, she walks into a smoke free room in the house and you can instantly pick it up.

It really is nauseating and its absolutely rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I can't abide smoking. The stench that emanates from regular smokers is extremely offputting. It hangs in the air and seems to ooze from their pores. I understand that it's a very difficult thing to stop doing so. My brother stopped smoking last year after a number of abortive attempts in the past. He found it a tough challenge, and he wouldn't be the best for following through on things. That said, we are very proud of him giving up.

I can tell you it isn't a gigantic exaggeration. The smell is sickening and can make people sick, its only non-smokers that can pick it up from heavy smokers but they stink and it stays on them, on their clothes all day long.

Maybe it is my delicate nose too, but see my above post I get sick. I get migraines. Its not just a headache, its a like a hangover without drink. You're dizzy, you can't stand the smell of food, can't stand lights, hours of vomiting.

Anything can it bring on eating the wrong foods, stress, perfumes, hot climate, thunder, cigarette smoke, more things I can't think off or a combination of them. For me smells are the biggest trigger, I cannot control them, I cannot control if someone eats a bag of crisps on the bus or wears perfume.

I feel dizzy smelling smoke of people. My sister chain smokes (her reason being, she doesn't want to live till she's 90, but dying younger of a slow painful death is better). She thinks she's finished smoking but the smell lingers, she walks into a smoke free room in the house and you can instantly pick it up.

What's funny is I actually have a very bad sense of smell but when it comes to smoke and smokers it's just hard not to notice.

So what you're saying is that the smell of smoke making you vomit for hours is a common reaction? you don't think maybe that your case is an extreme outlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No. Hate smoking. My boyfriend smokes. Many people are shocked when they find this out because I am quite vocal about my dislike towards smoking. Won't let him smoke in the house, although I'm sure he does when I'm out. Both my parents also smoke.

Funnily enough I've done the odd bit of "social smoking", but mainly because my friends always are in the smoking area on nights out. Stopped that a few years ago though. Now they make me feel sick!

Such a pointless habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Pooooof d Magic Dragon ... ;)

So what you're saying is that the smell of smoke making you vomit for hours is a common reaction? you don't think maybe that your case is an extreme outlier?

It can be a trigger with migraines, nothing unusual about it, we're just sensitive to everything.

But I've heard of other people gaining their sense of smell back after quiting smoking and they can spot a smoker a mile of in a queue by just smelling them. And they say its repulsive.

• Advertisement

It can be a trigger with migraines, nothing unusual about it, we're just sensitive to everything.

But I've heard of other people gaining their sense of smell back after quiting smoking and they can spot a smoker a mile of in a queue by just smelling them. And they say its repulsive.

Yeah "it can be" and "I've heard", so I think it's safe to say that hours of vomiting is not the default reaction to smelling cigarette smoke

Yeah "it can be" and "I've heard", so I think it's safe to say that hours of vomiting is not the default reaction to smelling cigarette smoke

This is obviously a very personal and sensitive topic for you, lol

This is obviously a very personal and sensitive topic for you, lol

I just don't understand people whose minds work like yours.

"The smell of smoke makes me sick, therefore everyone else also gets sick, my view is 100% correct, any other opinion is wrong."

I personally don't like the smell of custard, does that mean that everyone else also hates it?

I just don't understand people whose minds work like yours.

"The smell of smoke makes me sick, therefore everyone else also gets sick, my view is 100% correct, any other opinion is wrong."

I personally don't like the smell of custard, does that mean that everyone else also hates it?

Where did I speak for everyone ITT? Aside from my mention of the thanks my first post got, which anyone with basic comprehension skills would see isn't me saying that 'everyone' thinks like I do, please actually quote where I spoke for anyone other than myself. You can also explain how the minds of people like me work if you're bothered, that'd make for entertaining reading.

And oh, hey! I hate the smell of custard too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

0-23 Never even had 1 smoke
    23-46 smoked like an Indian Chief in a wigwam
    46 to date, not even a cheeky drag

Same, but my numbers run 0-16, 16-39, 39 to date.

Saved almost 5k since New Year's Day, 2014.

It is one of my triggers, and is a common trigger for migraine suffers.

Vomiting is only a symptom of migraine, which can be brought on by smelling smoke and other things. Get a migraine, nausea and eventually leads to vomiting.

Rarely smoke. And when I do - it is always when I have added something of my own.

That - and the very occasional cigar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

John Player blue all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Been vaping for a year. Last cigarette was at Electric Picnic after I sat on my vapey thingy and broke it and the cigarette was horrible so that's probably a good sign.

Still like an aul toot once in a while tho. Pipe,no tobacco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Gave up in Spring 2014, had 2 drags of a rolly while drunk at a wedding in December (and reeeally enjoyed those 2 drags!) but that's it for me hopefully.
    I was always convinced I was a 'clean' smoker - people used to comment they never got a smell of smoke off me - but I got a nasty surprise when I pulled a scarf out of the wardrobe a couple of months after quitting and realised it absolutely stank of smoke :( To be honest that helped me to stay off them more than the money side of things or even the fear of cancer, the thought of smelling so offensive ever again just doesn't sit well with me!

Advertisement