Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you take a puff?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Last cig I smoked was in November 2013, and at that stage I was only smoking a couple with a drink at night.

interesting study here
    Results of the study showed that participants who consumed raw garlic on a regular basis as a part of their diet (two or more times a week), had a 44% decreased risk of developing lung cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I remember the days you'd to go to Bartley Dunnes for a puff, now they're everywhere and even have their own pride celebration.

I've never taken a puff but some of my more liberal and open minded friends have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Jsmurff wrote: »
    Vamping and e-cigarettes are just as harmful if not worse…

People seem to throw this out a lot without any evidence. Studies have shown that vaping at a very high voltage (of which most standard devices are not capable) can release harmful toxins. Otherwise, the studies have found that they are significantly less damaging than cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I smoked a lot from the age of 15 to 29. I used to really love bensons and sometimes majors. I decided to try and give up when I was 29 because I became more aware of how dangerous it was even though you do see lots of old men who have smoked all their lives and swear by them.

It was very hard at the beginning. I even used to walk behind smokers in the street just for the familiar smell. I'm glad to say I made it through though and I'm now off them 10 years. I still hate those nicorette ads though because they always make me crave a fag:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The government say our demographic are smoking less and less. Me, personally, I finish a job well done with a puff of cancerous clouds.

My smoke of choice is John Player Blue, or, if I could get more -Parliaments.

What's yours?
    Not in the last two months.

What's our demographic? Boards users?

I abhor the notion of being addicted to something. I still consider myself addicted. In about four months time the extra nicotine receptors in my brain should be pretty much gone. I think I'd still consider myself an addict then though. Being addicted to smoking is like riding a bike. You never forget how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Nope, thank god. Tried it once out of curiosity, nearly got sick. Yet everyday I see countless people lighting up.

How is it still popular??

People surely know how dangerous they are to your health with zero actual benefit. And then they pay through the nose for it.

I'm guessing it still all starts in the schoolyard with kids trying to be cool.

The sooner these things are banned, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Zippie84 wrote: »
    What age are you though? :P

It was funnier the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

People seem to throw this out a lot without any evidence. Studies have shown that vaping at a very high voltage (of which most standard devices are not capable) can release harmful toxins. Otherwise, the studies have found that they are significantly less damaging than cigarettes.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/11/28/national/science-health/e-cigarettes-contain-10-times-carcinogens-regular-tobacco-japan-research/#.VOiDVtkgGc1

You were saying…

smoking is harmful end of story and it took me a while to acknowledge this and in relation to this substituting tobacco with vaping or e-cigarettes is just continuing the habit and IMO clames of them being healthier or less harmful are just excuses used by people who don't want quit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im a Benson and hedges man

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

No, the biggest motivator to stay away from them for me is that I don't want to smell repulsive to those around me. People who only have one or two a day or occasionally are grand but being around someone who smokes frequently is honestly nauseating

That's a gigantic exaggeration. Unless you have a ridiculously sensitive nose. I don't smoke because it's unhealthy and expensive, some of my friends do but I don't find that they smell bad at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Never touched them; never would.

Not really through any great moral virtue or willpower, just always hated the idea of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Vamping and e-cigarettes are just as harmful if not worse…

Only if you invite them in.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Smoked for 15 years. Silk Cut Purple for two years or so, Benson for about three and then Camel Lights.

Vaping for a year now and feel much better.

Elessar wrote: »
    Nope, thank god. Tried it once out of curiosity, nearly got sick. Yet everyday I see countless people lighting up.

How is it still popular??
    I don't think its popular. I didn't start because I thought it was the thing to do.
    People surely know how dangerous they are to your health with zero actual benefit. And then they pay through the nose for it.

So is alcohol but that doesn't stop people

Well I will agree theres no actuall benefit however I do find they help with stress although this in turn raises the level of consumption.

And as I smoke rollies I pay 12.30 for 25 grams a pack of papers and a pack of filters every two weeks. You don't have to pay €10 every 24-48 hrs for a 20 pack.
    I'm guessing it still all starts in the schoolyard with kids trying to be cool.

Peer pressure IMO is a load of bollox I started at 13 because of curiosity and a little rebellious voice that decided all those lectures we got in school was the systems way of controlling me so I fought back and smoked anyway( yes before anyone asks I feel like a dumbass for that) when I started you were slagged for trying it because you probably thought you were cool when that's not how it worked at all.
    The sooner these things are banned, the better.

Yup best of luck though as there are still enough people in this country smoking that can force the vote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Sometime around October last when the Champix kicked in I took my last puff. Not sure of the exact date and don't care.

Something told me that having to sit down four times to catch my breath during a half mile walk into town wasn't quite right. What should have been a ten minute walk was taking nearly 45 minutes.

It was time to end my 20 year love affair with Mr Benson and his friend Hedges.

Don't miss them at all now. And being €70 - €100 a week better off is a huge bonus!

In the space of less than six months I'm a lot fitter than I have been since my schooldays.

These days, if I get tired walking into town, I could start running instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I just smoke the cheapest I can get, apart from Pall Mall and Chesterfield (they're like smoking a test tube.) Usually imported Marlboro Lights or L&B Blue. I'm not fussy, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Never smoked and never never will. Its a vile disgusting habit.

I haven't sat in my own sitting room since last August because its been turned into a smoking room and the smoker themselves knows no smoking in the house. Ah but the winter weather, that's tough going, can't have that on them. But its OK to force second hand smoke onto others if they have health issues and can't breathe it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Smoked from ten years, but decided to quit when my missus stopped, found it pretty easy to be honest (bar having the odd cigar when drinking for the first year)

Best thing I ever did, but bizarrely, I still love the smell of fresh cigarette smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

daRobot wrote: »
    Smoked from ten years, but decided to quit when my missus stopped, found it pretty easy to be honest (bar having the odd cigar when drinking for the first year)

Best thing I ever did, but bizarrely, I still love the smell of fresh cigarette smoke.

That's not bizarre. My grandmother used to get me to sit by her amd smoke :pac:

Never smoked and never never will. Its a vile disgusting habit.

I haven't sat in my own sitting room since last August because its been turned into a smoking room and the smoker themselves knows no smoking in the house. Ah but the winter weather, that's tough going, can't have that on them. But its OK to force second hand smoke onto others if they have health issues and can't breathe it in.

Move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/11/28/national/science-health/e-cigarettes-contain-10-times-carcinogens-regular-tobacco-japan-research/#.VOiDVtkgGc1

You were saying…

smoking is harmful end of story and it took me a while to acknowledge this and in relation to this substituting tobacco with vaping or e-cigarettes is just continuing the habit and IMO clames of them being healthier or less harmful are just excuses used by people who don't want quit

Here, let me fix your post :D

Claims of them being No healthier or just as harmful are just excuses used by smokers who don't want to quit.

Yeah, we don't know how much safer vaping is than cigarette smoking.............Some estimates are 100 times safer and others 1000 times safer........we just don't know yet. Therefore I'm going to stick with my fags because I know how safe they are. ie. 100-1000 times less safe with 4000 chemicals and a few hundred carcinogens.

Riiiggghhhtt!! :confused:

A smoker not ready to quit will latch onto anything so as not to give up or at least switch to a much safer nicotine delivery system. You can't fool a vaping ex smoker. As ex cigarette smokers we of course know/remember the mental gymnastics we did to justify our smoking habit, about how its just not the right time to quit, how we can just allow ourselves this cigarette for x or y reason etc

Read the e-cig thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There seems to be more social smokers around in this day and age. You know the type who like to hang out in pub/club smoking areas and bum cigarettes.

Calibos wrote: »
    Here, let me fix your post :D

Claims of them being No healthier or just as harmful are just excuses used by smokers who don't want to quit.

Yeah, we don't know how much safer vaping is than cigarette smoking.............Some estimates are 100 times safer and others 1000 times safer........we just don't know yet. Therefore I'm going to stick with my fags because I know how safe they are. ie. 100-1000 times less safe with 4000 chemicals and a few hundred carcinogens.

Riiiggghhhtt!! :confused:

A smoker not ready to quit will latch onto anything so as not to give up or at least switch to a much safer nicotine delivery system. You can't fool a vaping ex smoker. As ex cigarette smokers we of course know/remember the mental gymnastics we did to justify our smoking habit, about how its just not the right time to quit, how we can just allow ourselves this cigarette for x or y reason etc

Read the e-cig thread.

Look I know what your saying but I honestly will quit. I've been to the GP an gotten my 6 month supply of patches and gum (heard bad things about the champix and feel this isn't an issue that needs a pill)

And was told by people who switched to vapor and e-cigarettes that this method is easier HOWEVER they've been using these methods for well over a year and their still smoking they haven't quit that's what I meant by the post I didn't mean it the way you read it.

They are still harmful unhealthy etc the healthiest thing is give em up altogether

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep. Marlboro Gold - about 15 a day. Been smoking since I was 19. Plan to kick the habit in the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd tried everything including patches, gum, champix, cold turkey, nicorette inhalators etc

I smoked while I vaped for a few weeks. Just couldn't give up those last few keystone cigs at meal times or times of stress.

I then upgraded from the crappy cigalike type ecig to a battery/clearo system and was able to cut the cigs to breakfast dinner and bedtime. Weeks at that but just wasn't able to knock those last few cigs on the head.

Started buying 24mg juice online where one can get higher nicotine versions whereas the shop bought stuff seems to top out at 16-18mg.

Boom!!! No more craving the real thing. 2.5 years at this stage.

The beauty of them is that I have put so much time between me and a real cigarette that when I give up vaping and possibly crack, it won't be back to the fags it'd just be back to vaping.

Is vaping healthier than a lungful of mountain air? Of course not. Is it healthier than a lung full of BBQ smoke or Car exhaust in Dublin? Hell yeah!

PG/VG is used in inhalers for decades. Its also an antibiotic/antiviral that was proven safe breathed for months in high concentrations in animals 80 years ago. The thinking was to use it in a Public health initiative in large interior public spaces to stop the spread of airborne pathogens. It never went ahead as the anti involuntary public medicating lobby won then as they'd like to win now with flouride in the water etc. Used in Hospital ventilation systems though. Nicotine is as safe as caffeine with the same health effects. Its the delivery method for nicotine that was unhealthy.

So everything in ejuice except the flavourings has been vaporised and inhaled by humans for decades without ill effect. The only question mark over any ingredient is the food flavourings in them which is a small percentage of ejuice which are proven safe for ingestion for decades but that tests are only now ongoing for inhalation. even though the results aren't in, it would be incredibly unlikely that some food flavouring when inhaled would turn out to be dangerous at all never mind as dangerous as any of the 4000 chemicals and carcinogens in a cigarette.

The point is, that its not a question of weather vaping is safer than smoking or not, its a question of how many hundreds of times safer it is.

But, but why are so many groups against ecigs so??

$$$$€€€€££££££

I've saved €15,000 in 2 years from my 40 a day smoking habit.

Thats €15,000 the fag companies won't now get, the Nicotine Replacement Therapies Pharma companies won't get and most importantly.......the exchequer won't get. (He's the one that took the lions share of that 15 grand.

ie. there are voices all over the shop that want to halt or slow adoption of ecigs until they can figure out a way to tax it, make money from it etc without looking like sentancing smokers to death in the process. Best way to do that? Fund or support studies or latch onto terrible faulty evidence etc so they can say, "We're not sure they are 100% safe so we want to ban them, We're only thinking of your health and safety smokers!!" BUULLLSSSHHIITT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Nope, too expensive of a habit.

Glad I grew up in a time where cigarettes were growing rapidly in expense, if I had been around 30/35 years ago in my parents youth it would have been a different story as shopkeepers sold single cigarettes for a few pence to get young people to go in and buy them and get hooked, the idea of a shop doing that now is insane and unheard of.

I hate them more for the money that they cost probably more so than the health affects. My family weren't well off while I grew up and I used to be always a bit pissed with my mam and dad if I asked for a few pence which I rarely got and often told no even after doing chores for them yet there was plenty of money for 20 fags a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

It's crazy to think they're still legal really (tax income aside), given that there is literally no benefit to them health-wise. But making them illegal wouldn't solve anything anyway, I mean it hasn't done much for other drugs that are illegal.

The only hope is that people just don't start on them in the first place. I do think your peers have a lot to do with it- not so much because of peer pressure, but just cos if the others around you are doing it, you're more likely to go "ah feck, it, I'll just have the one" and it goes from there. I've always been lucky in that almost none of my friends or family smoke. I pretty much go from one end of a week to another without ever seeing any cigarettes or smoke. It's just never been part of my life and I'm extremely grateful for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Calibos wrote: »

The beauty of them is that I have put so much time between me and a real cigarette that when I give up vaping and possibly crack, it won't be back to the fags it'd just be back to vaping.

Very hard to give that up. Best of luck. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Smoked Marlboro reds on and off during school days,
    a bit heavier when I was in college,
    and 20 a day for five years [once I started working and could afford more].
    Gave up in 2000 because I started going out with a non-smoker who is now my wife.
    Still off them.

Giving up was difficult for the first three or four weeks but I got through it and haven't gone back.

I enjoyed smoking. Particularly when having a pint.
    I can't understand smokers who won't defend their habit and constantly whine / complain - "oh they're terrible things" etc - and the ones who agreed with smoking ban.

I don't agree with the plain packaging proposals or the advertising bans.
    The companies should be entitled to market their product.

Personally have seen a lot more lives f*cked up by alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I smoked for around 8 years (although never 20 a day habit), and I do find I have to stop myself from being a bit preachy. It's hard to watch my sister puffing away on them. We're around the same age but she's aging faster, no doubt about it. I'm off them about 3 years and I feel much healthier. My skin no longer has that pale withdrawn look to it. I don't get a hacking chesty cough a few times a year. My fingers don't have that yellow stain. Thankfully my teeth were not destroyed by them either.

Years ago my group of college friends were nearly all smokers. We sat exclusively in the smoking area and chain smoked. Nowadays, most of my friends have given up or only have the odd one. We now sit inside and the smokers have to nip outside every half hour for their fag.

I hope my sister will give up soon.

Advertisement