Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you take a puff?

Options
  • 21-02-2015 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

The government say our demographic are smoking less and less. Me, personally, I finish a job well done with a puff of cancerous clouds.

My smoke of choice is John Player Blue, or, if I could get more -Parliaments.

What's yours?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

No, the biggest motivator to stay away from them for me is that I don't want to smell repulsive to those around me. People who only have one or two a day or occasionally are grand but being around someone who smokes frequently is honestly nauseating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Last time I smoked was in 1751. Well worth my while giving them bastards up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Its been four years since I had one.

Quit on Jan 1st and it was absolute hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Yup, but only when drinking! So I smoke whatever I can scab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

No, stopped going to the The George in 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Last cigarette I had was on 18th December 2014 :)

Edit: it was 18th November. I'm a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nope, have never smoked, amnt I great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Used to smoke a few years back. Recently diagnosed with cancer that has a survival rate of 90% (lucky me) but that 10% scares me ****less.

Lung cancer is generally detected at stage 3 which has a survival rate barely into the teens at 15%. 95% of all lung cancers are smoking related. Uncle died of lung cancer and it wasn't a nice way to go at all. Don't know what I'd do if I was told I had a 5 year survival chance of 15% at the ripe old age of 33. F*ck smoking, give the stupid things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Used to smoke a few years back. Recently diagnosed with cancer that has a survival rate of 90% (lucky me) but that 10% scares me.

Very best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

0-23 Never even had 1 smoke
    23-46 smoked like an Indian Chief in a wigwam
    46 to date, not even a cheeky drag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Used to smoke a few years back. Recently diagnosed with cancer that has a survival rate of 90% (lucky me) but that 10% scares me ****less.

Lung cancer is generally detected at stage 3 which has a survival rate barely into the teens at 15%. 95% of all lung cancers are smoking related. Uncle died of lung cancer and it wasn't a nice way to go at all. Don't know what I'd do if I was told I had a 5 year survival chance of 15% at the ripe old age of 33. F*ck smoking, give the stupid things up.

Best of luck with your recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Coming up to a year off them. Thanks for reminding me! Roll on March 7th :)

Used to love those silk cut purples though.

I never smoked but do smokers find it very annoying when ex-smokers go all preachy advocating how great the benefits of non-smoking is?

I would think it would bug me if someone with the ability and tenacity to give up something that I was unable to, would lecture me about the benefits of same.

There's none so pure as the reformed whore.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Swapped it for vaping 2 and a half years ago, best decision I ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

A bit of lebanese pump now and then but I wouldn't be going out of me way for the smokes or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No, the biggest motivator to stay away from them for me is that I don't want to smell repulsive to those around me. People who only have one or two a day or occasionally are grand but being around someone who smokes frequently is honestly nauseating

I'm constantly trying to give up. The first time was after 10 years of smoking. Some guy got on the train and sat in front of me. the stench from him was unbearable. I had to move carriages. I never knew that I probably smelt that bad. I'd heard non smokers mention how bad smokers smell but I couldn't smell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

0-23 Never even had 1 smoke
    23-46 smoked like an Indian Chief in a wigwam
    46 to date, not even a cheeky drag

What age are you though? :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Swapped it for vaping 2 and a half years ago, the smell of ciggs was the big shocker to me, I used to smell like that omg manky

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I assume it's something like Hodgkins? I've had a couple of friends who had it. Its strange but if i was ever told i had it I'd automatically think I was lucky because the survival rates are so high. Good luck with it. and you might want to think about a vaporiser for a different type of smoke. Both my friends took up smoking weed to help with the treatment.

My family history is bad on one side. They've all had strokes. Of 7 siblings only one is left alive. After seeing them all die from strokes the thought of it happening to me terrifies me.

but back to the OP's question. I smoked/smoke marlboro lights. When i started it was reds but I moved to lights. The weird thing is that I can seem to smoke anything with no negative side affects. I mean short term ones. Some people can't smoke heavier cigarettes I don't even notice. By the same token I can smoke silk cut silver/ultra and not notice the difference either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

The Peanut wrote: »
    I never smoked but do smokers find it very annoying when ex-smokers go all preachy advocating how great the benefits of non-smoking is?

I would think it would bug me if someone with the ability and tenacity to give up something that I was unable to, would lecture me about the benefits of same.

There's none so pure as the reformed whore.:rolleyes:

How's yours, the peanut?

• Advertisement

How's yours, the peanut?

I know it's early enough and I'm tired but wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I'm just over 3 years off them and I'm STILL so relieved. I hated HAVING to smoke. My whole mental life was consumed with thinking about how and when I could have the next smoke. It was so stressful. And tiring. It's great not being a slave anymore.

The Peanut wrote: »
    I know it's early enough and I'm tired but wha?

Put me on ignore. I completely ballsed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Yup, but only when drinking! So I smoke whatever I can scab.

Nothing personal but people like you should be shot.
    Cant stand people who describe themselves 'social smokers'.Annoying people for smokes on a night out is a pretty antisocial pursuit.Either give them up altogether or buy your f#"kin own :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

Nothing personal but people like you should be shot.Cant stand people who describe themselves 'social smokers'.Annoying people for smokes on a night out is a pretty antisocial pursuit.Either give them up altogether or buy your f#"kin own :mad:

Don't worry, I do hate myself for it.

Put me on ignore. I completely ballsed up.

It'll be between you, me and your ninja edit.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I smoke too many of the bloody things - John Player is the weapon of choice. I really have to give them up soon, it's going to kill me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Chorcai wrote: »
    Swapped it for vaping 2 and a half years ago, the smell of ciggs was the big shocker to me, I used to smell like that omg manky
    Vamping and e-cigarettes are just as harmful if not worse…

I am 24 and started smoking when I was 13… I know big f#ck up… I mostly smoke rollies these days as I can make em as small as I want. I have made numerous attempts to quit with patches and gum but to no avail. Hopefully I can quit before it does some serious harm .

If it were banned outright then I would have no excuse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No.

I watched my mother die a long, slow and miserable death because of them and she certainly wasn't the only one who I've seen suffer the mortal effects of their useless addiction.

It's one of the stupidest things a human being can do to themselves and unfortunately they only just realise that when they're hooked up to a machine that helps them to breath while they wait around for a terrible and pathetic death.

All the excuses, self delusion and downright lies that smokers tell themselves ends up being wasted air.

• Advertisement

RIP to your ma, Tony.

Advertisement