Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The cheat line down the fuselage and the stripes on the tail are a very dark green on the original 1960s livery but on the retro livery it's been painted too dark, almost black in appearance in most conditions.

It *is* green but a shade or two darker than it should be.

I agree the shade is far too muted. I also think the cheatline is too narrow when compared to how the original appeared on the types operated in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EchoIndia wrote: »
    I agree the shade is far too muted. I also think the cheatline is too narrow when compared to how the original appeared on the types operated in the 1960s.

The narrow cheat line is largely down the design of the original livery following the window size. On the 737-200 the cheat line was painted about an inch above and an inch below the passenger windows, the same is recreated on the modern A320 but it has smaller windows and a taller, wider fuselage which means the overall appearance of the cheat line is much narrower.

So while they've stuck to the original cheat line design, it has actually had the opposite effect due the A320's shape.

The 1-11 broke the rules then, but looked the better for it.

44375501432_2f4b871ebf_b.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they used the 737 as a reference when designing how it would look on the A320.

25280993106_264517d3ff_c.jpg

EI-ASG 1111
    by David Fox Dublin, on Flickr

Do they not use the original paint codes when developing these so they match up ?

Is it a difference in film processing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ohigg84 wrote: »
    Hope it gets its nose cone repainted black!

I don't think it will get the new livery!

Just looking at photos of EI-DVM now.

It had a black nose cone in 2016, why would they have repainted it white?

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9555347

Just looking at photos of EI-DVM now.

It had a black nose cone in 2016, why would they have repainted it white?

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9555347

It’s had a replacement nose cone for the past few months, it’s white so not the original design.

With the repaint you can expect everything to be done as it was when delivered.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

It's funny how much of headache some items involved in paint schemes can be, take for example the Engine inlet cowls that used to have the shamrock on the outboard side, the inlets themselves can be fitted l/h or r/h but because you only had a shamrock painted on one side you now had to have a l/h and r/h spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

flange888 wrote: »
    It's funny how much of headache some items involved in paint schemes can be, take for example the Engine inlet cowls that used to have the shamrock on the outboard side, the inlets themselves can be fitted l/h or r/h but because you only had a shamrock painted on one side you now had to have a l/h and r/h spare.
    The shamrocks are on both sides of the inlet cowls on some of the aircraft, I definitely remember noticing it on a flight..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

Yeah that's the reason why! Wasn't always the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Do they not use the original paint codes when developing these so they match up ?

Is it a difference in film processing etc.

A discussion on a spotters page seems to point to a difference between processed film in the 70s versus digital photogrphy now.

And Im not sure what reference they used for it but the design was pretty detailed. A mate in EI has the original PDF design specs. He was involved in the livery decision and the then CEO sent the design to him 5-6 months before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

A333 EI-FNG arrived back at DUB early this morning (2.20am) following maintenance at Abu Dhabi.

I wonder who's next in for maintenance?

EI-GAJ didn' fly yesterday and A332 EI-DUO flew the 147 to SFO.

Tenger wrote: »
    A discussion on a spotters page seems to point to a difference between processed film in the 70s versus digital photogrphy now.

And Im not sure what reference they used for it but the design was pretty detailed. A mate in EI has the original PDF design specs. He was involved in the livery decision and the then CEO sent the design to him 5-6 months before delivery.

I’m nearly certain they were able to use the original “paint mixture” to get the correct shades.

I’ve looked at my photos of it and in bright light the shading is lighter.

I also think the BAC 1-11 one wasn’t great, I much prefer the thinner cheat line.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I always remembered it being greener, but that could just be the memory letting go! Regardless I’m glad the retro livery is continuing.

HTCOne wrote: »
    I always remembered it being greener, but that could just be the memory letting go! Regardless I’m glad the retro livery is continuing.

Good image here of the original colour as painted, probably in the 1960s. It has weathered well as this nose section has been under cover since the aircraft was dismantled. https://flic.kr/p/TbtJFU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Good image here of the original colour as painted, probably in the 1960s. It has weathered well as this nose section has been under cover since the aircraft was dismantled. https://flic.kr/p/TbtJFU

Slightly off topic, but it’s this still possessed by EI !? And if so, why is it not on display somewhere!??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't like giving this crowd clicks because they're a credit card shilling marketing mouthpiece but here's a (overly harsh) review of the A321LR Y product;

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/aer-lingus-a321neo-economy/

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

cson wrote: »
    I don't like giving this crowd clicks because they're a credit card shilling marketing mouthpiece but here's a (overly harsh) review of the A321LR Y product;

Never noticed it before but why in God’s name did they put two pronged headphone jacks on the economy screens? All the latest and updated-IFE A330s and even the 757s have single prong and it makes life so much easier.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but it’s this still possessed by EI !? And if so, why is it not on display somewhere!??

I'm not aware of its ownership status but I've never seen anything to suggest it's owned by the airline since the majority of the V800 fleet was sold to be broken up for scrap in the early 1970s. The Aer Lingus Viscount story is not a particularly happy one, with two being lost in fatal crashes and another being written off in a non-fatal accident at Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Never noticed it before but why in God’s name did they put two pronged headphone jacks on the economy screens? All the latest and updated-IFE A330s and even the 757s have single prong and it makes life so much easier.

You can still use it with a single jack. It's two pronged as some devices may have two jacks rather than one. I think the complimentary headphones are two pronged but I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

So that they can use either the one or two pin ones they have in stock

cson wrote: »

I don’t think it’s that overly harsh but it is typical of these style of reviews, anyone with an ounce of common sense can tell the author was scraping the barrel to find any genuine criticism.

-My 15” MacBook didn’t fit on the tray table, wahhh!
    -The arm rest was plastic, booo!
    -The economy seat was, *shock horror* an economy seat!
    - It’s perfectly acceptable for 8 hours but not much longer... wow, what a genius.

The overall impression I get is that it’s a very solid economy product from Aer Lingus, they definitely rank quite highly across the Atlantic. This is particularly true when compared to their other European flag carrier counterparts.

I’ve read a few TAP A321LR reviews in both classes and it’s safe to say Aer Lingus are head and shoulders above them in almost every aspect. TAP has made more of an effort with the cabin design but their soft product is dire.

I wonder what crew numbers on that flight were.Have been told that after the start of the A321LR operation with 5 crew they have commenced flights with 4 crew.

A330 has 8 crew: 317/8 =39.6, 275/8= 34.3, 184/4= 46, 184/5= 36.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭alancostello

I wonder what crew numbers on that flight were.Have been told that after the start of the A321LR operation with 5 crew they have commenced flights with 4 crew.

I've spoken to a couple of crew members about it. They seem to think the 5th comes in handy for serving the 16 people in Business but beyond that there isn't really anywhere for them and they end up just getting in the way. The two half galleys are so small and there's no crew rest so nowhere for them to take breaks or just sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

Assume 1 is assigned to J, that's a big ask to take care of 16 pax a further ask to look after 55 Y odd each between the remaining 3. Can see this backfiring, service on the A330s is spotty enough as it is in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I suspected they would get there way.

Did unions put up much of a fight or have they been promised something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I suspected they would get there way.

Did unions put up much of a fight or have they been promised something else?

Trials are on-going. Nobody has “got their way”

Current Temporary crewing levels;
    DUB-BDL/SNN-BOS/JFK - 5CC
    DUB-EWR/PHL - 4CC

Everyone has different viewpoints on how having 5 crew works best - there’s two sides to this debate. Also comparing single crew numbers to pax ratio leaves out the workload involved especially in J and is not an accurate representation of the basis of concerns of 4 crewing level.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Does anyone know if the ex Jet Airways A330 that arrived in Dublin is to join EI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

DVM the ''Retro'' returns back to Dublin tomorrow evening and DEK is off for a repaint.

DEK DUB1900-1945SNN
    DVM SNN2030-2115DUB

• Advertisement

Shamrockj wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the ex Jet Airways A330 that arrived in Dublin is to join EI?

There was the long running rumour that EI were getting 2 ex Jet A330s. But this could be just parked there before painting and off to another airline.

As for DVM, back in same livery? The Dublin spotters Facebook group were having cardiac arrest at the thought of losing "their" retro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement