Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Excuse me where's my prize? :D

No idea, she'll need more than a new lick of paint to make her feel young again the old hag.

I had EI-CVA back on EI243 from LGW last Sunday. Wouldn't think she was 16 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Got a grand aul tour of EI-DUZ today, looking well on the inside now, flight deck is looking aged but the new cabin fit is lovely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I'd be interested to hear crews opinions of -EWR now that it's back.

Does it still have the shed?

I'd imagine it's gone, the last few operators will have had it decked out for max passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Snow Leopard

I think the sheds are a product of a bygone era! Every square inch matters in revenue terms nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Sheds?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cabin crew rests, possibly? They had a few on the 330s in the past but I thought it was solely the 332s

L1011 wrote: »
    Cabin crew rests, possibly? They had a few on the 330s in the past but I thought it was solely the 332s

Yes, it was situated in the cabin behind Door 3. Used to occupy four centre rows in the economy cabin (the equivalent of 16 Y seats). Aka the "Wendy House". These rest areas were required for the LAX route, hence the -300s were never fitted with them. The crew T&Cs for the LAX route were also particularly generous, so all things considered, it was not a cheap route to operate. Nevertheless, it did operate successfully for a number of years with AA offering good connectivity at the LAX end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

..... The crew T&Cs for the LAX route were also particularly generous, so all things considered, it was not a cheap route to operate. Nevertheless, it did operate successfully for a number of years with AA offering good connectivity at the LAX end.

Not an issue anymore as EI crew work to FTLs now.

(FTL's refer to Flight Time Limitations...which are the legal max limits for flight/cabin crew)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

FTLs?

I do wish people would remember that everyone doesn't know what all these abbreviations are, and that boards.ie is for everyone - not just those in the know!!!

• Advertisement

Those damn FTLs Tenger!

lxflyer wrote: »
    FTLs?

I do wish people would remember that everyone doesn't know what all these abbreviations are, and that boards.ie is for everyone - not just those in the know!!!

The aviation industry is littered with acronyms, so its reasonable to expect some of the less common ones to crop up once in a while. I accept your point, but personally I find it easier to just... http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cabin+crew+ftls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

FTLs?

In fairness, you are using the Internet already by being on Boards.ie. If there's anything you don't understand you may easily broaden your knowledge by entering it into google or another search engine.

To be fair on most boards I frequent they have a simple rule of spell it out the first time and then acronym away!

Suggesting that people should have to google as well as read posts is to my mind a little smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

To be fair on most boards I frequent they have a simple rule of spell it out the first time and then acronym away!

Suggesting that people should have to google as well as read posts is to my mind a little smart.

It's called research, if you don't understand something then find out about it!!

Are you suggesting we spoon feed you? You're on the wrong forum for that.

Growler!!! wrote: »
    It's called research, if you don't understand something then find out about it!!

Are you suggesting we spoon feed you? You're on the wrong forum for that.

No I'm not at all, just that sometimes people might remember that this isn't pprune.

This is one of the more enjoyable forums in fact for people who aren't working in aviation but have an interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

This is fairly common in many style guides for articles (usually applies to 1 pagers and not threads): spell in the first instance, then abbreviate thereafter.
    More than a bit smart, it assumes that everybody has good working abilities and experience to make their way around the Net. As a User Experience (UX) professional, I can tell you that that is patently untrue. People's abilities and experience vary wildly from power user to 'useless' user with much more weighting towards the useless end of the spectrum. Remember there is always some new user who has just been introduced to the Net with no experience. With that in mind and there being no ability to handle <acronym> tags on boards.ie, the most helpful method is to spell it out. Also there are many lurkers also unfamiliar with the term and most of them will never ask.

I assume FTL means Flight Time Limit and it would be great to have a short description of that for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Tis the problem when you move the aviation forum to motors. We will be discussing where to get cheap Castrol next.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I'd be interested to hear crews opinions of -EWR now that it's back.

Does it still have the shed?

The wendy house is most likely gone, with the complete cabin refit. I'll be on it at some stage over the weekend so will have a good poke around!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Tenger wrote: »

(FTL's refer to Flight Time Limitations...which are the legal max limits for flight/cabin crew)

So as a matter of interest, what is the procedure now on a 330-200 going to SFO? 3 Flight crew with a seat in Premier for rest? Still 2 rows with the curtain at 41 and 42? Was their some controversy back in 2003ish regarding one of the aft lavs had a constant out of order sign near the crew rest seats and some senior guy from Head Office noticed it on a number of flights and raised hell? Lastly, rest time in SFO? Used to be 2-3 days but thats changed I presume?

I thought too from memory on a good few flights to LAX a dog box (shed!) fwd of door R2 at around 11 and 12H & K ?

• Advertisement

knockon wrote: »
    So as a matter of interest, what is the procedure now on a 330-200 going to SFO? 3 Flight crew with a seat in Premier for rest? Still 2 rows with the curtain at 41 and 42? Was their some controversy back in 2003ish regarding one of the aft lavs had a constant out of order sign near the crew rest seats and some senior guy from Head Office noticed it on a number of flights and raised hell? Lastly, rest time in SFO? Used to be 2-3 days but thats changed I presume?

I thought too from memory on a good few flights to LAX a dog box (shed!) fwd of door R2 at around 11 and 12H & K ?
    I was around when the DUB-LAX was introduced.

Cabin crew were given 4 pairs of seats curtained off for crew rest, flight crew got Premier class seats curtained off.

The newer aircraft have crew rest near the cockpit or in the hold. Not sure how they look inside however.
    EI now operate DUB-SFO daily so I've been told that they operate 24 hour tour-arounds there.

No idea about an out of order sign, not sure what that would be. Dont think -EI-LAX had lavs near the crew rest (its been a while!)
    But EI have been known to delay fixing Lavs for a week or so so as not to impact the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

I was around when the DUB-LAX was introduced.

Cabin crew were given 4 pairs of seats curtained off for crew rest, flight crew got Premier class seats curtained off.

The newer aircraft have crew rest near the cockpit or in the hold.
    EI now operate DUB-SFO daily so I've been told that they operate 24 hour tour-arounds there.

No idea about an out of order sign, not sure what that would be. Dont think -EI-LAX had lavs near the crew rest (its been a while!) But EI have been known to delay fixing Lavs for a week or so so as not to impact the schedule.

From reading that post its like you only left us yesterday Tenger... Spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

The problem in the industry is that airlines now view Flight Time LIMITS as Flight Time TARGETS.

Could all the airplane nerds go stand in the corner lest we offend our normal brethren!

Jack1985 wrote: »
    From reading that post its like you only left us yesterday Tenger... Spot on.
    Feels like a lifetime...but some things stick with you.

Bring back tearbringer!!!!

Anybody know the significance of this? Noticed it on both the out and inbound. Is it a secret illuminati code or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Anybody know the significance of this? Noticed it on both the out and inbound.

It's where the flight crew can examine the Slats/Flaps visually if necessary.
    Is it a secret illuminati code or something?

FFS :P

.....Is it a secret illuminati code or something?
    Dont tell the outsiders!!!!

Lets not tell them about the location of the gear check under the carpet on the B737 either!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭tennis12

Anybody know the significance of this? Noticed it on both the out and inbound. Is it a secret illuminati code or something?

It's where the cabin crew can stand to get a good view of the wing. Used a lot to check for ice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement