Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foynes Line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

I still don't believe this will be a railway. When the clearance work is done and the bridges replaced do not be surprised if a sudden 'halt' to the work happens for a few years and then a greenway proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You can fk off with your greenway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It's happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Limerick council approved the raising of Maigue River bridge, the track bed at Adare station and roads approaching the level crossing in August. But our old pal Peter Sweetman has appealed it to ABP, as have a couple living in the old station house.

This is going to delay the works at the station and the reinstallation of the bridge by at least a year and Sweetman has history of heading to the High Court if the planning process doesn't go in his favour, so the delay could be even longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Beyond shocking. It's a relatively minor alteration to an existing piece of infrastructure.

I'm guessing it's being raised due to rising sea levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Drifter100

So Im guessing this is an end to the rejuenation of the rail line. This will delay everything to the point that the greenway people get their way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

That's a bit extreme. It's a delay but it will happen eventually

Ugh.

People choosing to live in property close to mothballed railway surprised said railway is reopening. Have about as much sympathy for these people as people choosing to live near airports who complain about plane noise. Bet these same people will whinge about heavy lorries thundering along their local roads and not see the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Sure! Not a single dock or jetty in the world needs to be raised but the bridge on the Maigue does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Economics101

Is there a comprehensive list of things that Peter Sweetman has objected to, and at what cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The thing is , peter sweetman looks at the legislation, and objects accordingly ,

And is usually found right by the courts .. so you'd think that planning professionals, could foresee these same issues - if the laws are too loose allowing multiple interpretations,then maybe they should be tightened up ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

He also revealed that it’s anticipated the Limerick to Foynes, via Adare, rail line will be open to passengers by late 2025, giving a further boost to the Ryder Cup plans.

The above was in the limerick leader quoting Brian Leddin.

Leddin is talking through his rear end there. There are currently no plans from IE to upgrade the line for passenger services or reopen any stations. They current works to reopen it for freight are due for completion around then.

I know that, you know that, and Leddin may well know that.

But people love to see the actual construction works ongoing, so suggesting there will be passenger trains in 2025 is sweet PR, being the wrong side of the election.

I can nearly guarantee reopening for passenger services will be in the green party manifesto next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Regarding the timing, yes I agree, the line won’t be carrying passengers when it reopens, nor is it designed to.

But I suspect that once the line is reopened for freight, that by the time when the Ryder Cup comes along, I would strongly believe that it will, as part of LMATS.

You are absolutely correct to say that there are no formal public plans - that doesn’t mean that there aren’t discussions taking place in the background about making things happen.

I would like to see the actual quote where Leddin has allegedly claimed it would open for passenger use from day one. I very much doubt he said that.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'm going to call it that passenger services absolutely will happen.

not by 2025 though i suspect.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

I don't think he said that. He said a passenger service will be part of plan for Ryder cup.

I believe that's logical and part of justification for line but doesn't guarantee anything more then temporary facilities in Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

What the LL article says is:

He also revealed that it’s anticipated the Limerick to Foynes, via Adare, rail line will be open to passengers by late 2025, giving a further boost to the Ryder Cup plans.

“Both of these projects are full steam ahead. They will be challenging to deliver. But it’s the highest priority of government to deliver them in time for the Ryder Cup,”

As things stand, that isn't true. The line isn't currently being prepared for passenger services so that isn't full steam ahead. Maybe it can be opened for passengers by the Ryder Cup 27 but there is little chance it'll be will be open to passengers by late 2025. They have delays and issues with the current plans, nevermind something which hasn't even entered the planning process yet.

If they are raising the trackbed in Adare by the railway station then at a bare minimum they need to be designing in a new useable platform.

Maybe as a one off they can build a temporary platform (I don't know if that's doable) but I'd say multiple park and ride buses from hotels / city centre / temporary car parks is what will happen.

So Limerick racecourse for example is where you park.

• Advertisement

They couple who live in the old railway station house in Adare have appealed the raising of the line to ABP. There's not a hope that they'd take the station reopening lying down seeing as the platform seems to be part of their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Drifter100

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Dream on....

Railway will reopen. Track laying to start in early 2024. Rails and sleepers already stockpiled in the port for this to happen.

Slew the line a small distance away, throw up a sound barrier fence and throw enough money at them until they shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Saddens me to hear people on about the greenway Rathkeale to NCW to Abbeyfeale. This should be a passenger railway line all day long, can you imagine the reduction in traffic through these towns including the Golden Child town of Adare!!

Whoever or whatever party closed these railway lines in the 50s and 60s should be ashamed of themselves , no fan of the British but they had built a great Railway system covering the whole country and we destroyed or closed 3/4 of it.☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in fairness the Brits were doing the exact same thing at the same time. The main thing that will reduce traffic in Adare is the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Economics101

You could make the same case for dozens of lines and hundreds of stations closed since the late 50s. But many of them were suitable only when the alternative to rail was horse-drawn transport. This focus on peripheral routes is only a distraction from the really big issue: expanding the capacity of the existing network, which by and large serves major population areas and has some chance of operating with high volumes of traffic, which are necessary for efficient railway operation.

Every railway line on this island was built by Irish companies with the exception of the Rosslare to Waterford line.

Irish rail companies - Irish engineers - Irish workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

I'm guessing the station will be located elsewhere in Adare, no?

Advertisement