Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to retire the national anthem?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mg1982 wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to miss the point that the ireland rugby team represent the whole island unlike the ireland soccer team. So choosing an alternative anthem for the rugby is no big deal. People seem to get caught up in this nationalist ferver when it comes to things like this.

That's one part of the argument. The other is that the "alternative anthem" is, considered on it's own merits, shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Any song written solely for the purpose of not offending anyone (which is effectively all Ireland's Call is) is always going to be unpopular and uninspiring. .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

A lot of people seem to miss the point that the ireland rugby team represent the whole island unlike the ireland soccer team. So choosing an alternative anthem for the rugby is no big deal. People seem to get caught up in this nationalist ferver when it comes to things like this.

Perhaps they shouldn't have given the task of writing the alternative anthem to the guy who wrote songs for the Bay City Rollers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

maybe we need a new anthem for the ireland rugby team if so many despise irelands call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

maybe we need a new anthem for the ireland rugby team if so many despise irelands call.

if its going to be changed I vote this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

Sorry now if it hasn't been mentioned but who the hell sings/roars/attempts the national anthem in the pub anyways??(unless their on the 12th+pint)

Seeing as these guys run the place now what about Deutschland uber alles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

I'm certainly not a nationalist (I actually also hold a British Passport), nor are many of my family/peers - but if you choose to play for a specific country (Ireland) then at least respect the anthem in place. I'm well aware this isn't the Rep. of Ireland Rugby team, but the fact remains we do sing the Irish National Anthem for the Irish Rugby Team - but we also sing this other abomination, effectively JUST for the Ulster lads. The whole thing is an Irish Solution to an Irish problem. It's a joke, and a conversation with a French fan recently brought this home "here come the Paddys with their two songs" - is effectively what people think of us. No identity, just a compromise based on historical hang-ups from colonialism.

If you're going to go down the 'whole island' argument, then why not sing God Save the Queen instead of Ireland's Call, the ACTUAL National anthem of Northern Ireland?

(London)Derry & Tyrone are in Northern Ireland, if they make the All-Ireland final does God Save the Queen blast out in Croker? No it doesn't, because if you're playing GAA for Derry/Tyrone you're generally considered to be Irish (regardless of your actual passport) and thus you will engage with the Irish National Anthem. In a similar way, if you're from the North, playing rugby for Ireland then the assumption should be that you won't be offended by the anthem.

As usual, this country compromises itself to keep others happy. The inherent need to be the 'Best boy in class' seems to permeate through all levels of society, it's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pollyannawins

i think Ireland should be the first nation to have a dark techno or gabber national anthem.

your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm certainly not a nationalist (I actually also hold a British Passport), nor are many of my family/peers - but if you choose to play for a specific country (Ireland) then at least respect the anthem in place. I'm well aware this isn't the Rep. of Ireland Rugby team, but the fact remains we do sing the Irish National Anthem for the Irish Rugby Team - but we also sing this other abomination, effectively JUST for the Ulster lads. The whole thing is an Irish Solution to an Irish problem. It's a joke, and a conversation with a French fan recently brought this home "here come the Paddys with their two songs" - is effectively what people think of us. No identity, just a compromise based on historical hang-ups from colonialism.

If you're going to go down the 'whole island' argument, then why not sing God Save the Queen instead of Ireland's Call, the ACTUAL National anthem of Northern Ireland?

(London)Derry & Tyrone are in Northern Ireland, if they make the All-Ireland final does God Save the Queen blast out in Croker? No it doesn't, because if you're playing GAA for Derry/Tyrone you're generally considered to be Irish (regardless of your actual passport) and thus you will engage with the Irish National Anthem. In a similar way, if you're from the North, playing rugby for Ireland then the assumption should be that you won't be offended by the anthem.

As usual, this country compromises itself to keep others happy. The inherent need to be the 'Best boy in class' seems to permeate through all levels of society, it's embarrassing.

The demographics of rugby players and GAA players in Northern Ireland are quite different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

That's actually irrelevant (and also a generalisation), if you're gonna make a rule for all, then it has to stand up to all demographics. Tough cases make bad law, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

hardCopy wrote: »
    The demographics of rugby players and GAA players in Northern Ireland are quite different.

Isnt Ulster Rugby organised on provincial lines? So it's nine county ulster, not the six counties. And even at that rugby is not solely the preserve of northern unionists. The whole thing is ridiculous. Ireland's Call is utter pish. If you're that opposed to the irish national anthem then dont play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Isnt Ulster Rugby organised on provincial lines? So it's nine county ulster, not the six counties. And even at that rugby is not solely the preserve of northern unionists. The whole thing is ridiculous. Ireland's Call is utter pish. If you're that opposed to the irish national anthem then dont play for The Republic of Ireland.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Since nobody ever knows all the words to the anthem I think we should go with an instrumental one - The Bord na Mona song. Imagine the majesty at, say, a football match when the Irish stand erupts with thousands of people singing "Dooooo doo-doo-Doodoo-doodoo, doo-doo doo dooooo doodoo doo-doo doo doo, Diddley-aye aye-aye doo doo doo doo doodoo doodoo doo doo".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Have the angelus as the national anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

hardCopy wrote: »
    FYP

FYP must mean Fu(ked Your Post up or something because Amhrán na bhFiann was unofficially used as the national anthem across Ireland for years before its official adoption in 1926, before the so called Republic of Ireland even existed.
    Also, the rugby team is Ireland, not the republic of Ireland.
    So, like I said, nobody is making people who dont like the Irish national anthem play for Ireland, if you dont like it then dont play for them.

On a separate note, does anybody actually find Ireland's Call rousing?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,240 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Surely not? I think it hands away a small edge to the opposition in these games tbh. Rugby at that level is a physical battle (particularly in the opening exchanges) and we do our players a huge disservice by depriving them of a real anthem before away fixtures.

FYP must mean Fu(ked Your Post up or something because Amhrán na bhFiann was unofficially used as the national anthem across Ireland for years before its official adoption in 1926, before the so called Republic of Ireland even existed.
    Also, the rugby team is Ireland, not the republic of Ireland.
    So, like I said, nobody is making people who dont like the Irish national anthem play for Ireland, if you dont like it then dont play for them.

Irelands call has more life to it than the national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Perhaps a makeover for the rugby song to bring it in line with modern Ireland and modern rugby:

Irelands Call - Sponsored by Ulster Bank. Be there * for the boys with Ulster Bank.

*lending terms and conditions apply, regulated by the financial regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Bambi wrote: »

No!
    Ireland has enough issues with an inability to comprehend separation of Church and State without that.

I do think it's a bit weird that Fianna Fail is mentioned in the anthem tho... They really should be required to change name to something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

The fields of athenry might make of a good anthem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Yes - as it contains the dreaded words "Fianna Fail" ..... never again !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Well you have a good point there, I don't support them so why would I be singing their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Nope.

Time to retire that abomination of an "Irelands Call" though.

Ireland's Call is far more rousing in my opinion. Nothing to do with the language, it's just a better melody and more upbeat rhythm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Yes - it's shoite - and it mentions "Fianna Fail" - offensive to the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pollyannawins

this country is good
    this country is great
    this country is home
    ding a ling a ling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

We do down our anthem when it's a lot better than most.

I used think it was pretty awful until I realised we're the only ones who understand it. It's meaning even when translated is unique to us. What is an anthem other than a song which means something special to those who sing it?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭mike2084

Was lucky enough to be at the Aviva today and both anthems were sung with tremendous gusto and were moments to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Yes - it's shoite - and it mentions "Fianna Fail" - offensive to the ears.

You do know FF didn't exist when the anthem was written, yes?

So it's not about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,268 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bambi wrote: »

Still be more exciting than the British anthem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement