Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at GLAS info

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

patjack wrote: »
    Hi Corkfarmer,

Was at a meeting last night, normal rule is that you need two priority assets to qualify for GLAS + with the exception of Hen Harrier. You will get paid on Hen Harrier up to 18.93 Hectares.

Worrying thing for a few farmers at the meeting was that if your land is in organic and you want to claim Hen Harrier on that same land you will have to forego your organic payment. Strange one!

Only thing the planner said was that he thought this may be changed in that you can claim both but he is to double check.
    I see so if you only have 10HA Hen Harrier you must make up the balance with another primary asset or can it be any of the measures to get the €7000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Heard two things today. A hen harrier GLAS dairy farmer who would have to put his entire farm into the HH scheme which would disallow him from cutting silage - not sure on details so don't take that as globally applying to all HH farmers.

Second thing was anyone joining GLAS next year WOULD get a 5 year term.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skoger

Heard two things today. A hen harrier GLAS dairy farmer who would have to put his entire farm into the HH scheme which would disallow him from cutting silage - not sure on details so don't take that as globally applying to all HH farmers.

Would that mean a new CMP would be needed when another shareholder joins? Or does he not get paid for the commonage in year 5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

skoger wrote: »
    Would that mean a new CMP would be needed when another shareholder joins? Or does he not get paid for the commonage in year 5?

Likely he pays into the existing one, not sure though. From what I was told it sounds like he gets a 5 year term from next year. Presumably that means the other farmers both start and finish a year ahead of the new farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just reading a bit on this recently and it seems that the vast majority of HH SPA land is upland heath,scrub,forestry and rough grazing. Likely to be very little dairy in these areas and AFAIK the HH element of GLAS can only be applied for by people with land in these SPA areas. Some talk of folks being advised to split land into parcels to avail of different elements of GLAS to get the full payment. Might make sense if one has a parcel up a hill and a main holding in the lowlands or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

How do you qualify for Glas +, only info I can find requires membership of horse society in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Only persons who had a SFP application in 2014 can apply this year, if you started farming in 2015 (bought/leased etc.) can you apply in 2016? or are you excluded from GLAS altogether?

Am I right in saying only land you declared on your 2014 SFP form can be included in a 2015 Glas application? New leased land for 2015 will not be able to be included on your Glas application.

f2 wrote: »
    How do you qualify for Glas +, only info I can find requires membership of horse society in 2013
    I think you have to exceed €5000 in a single tier 1 category. Disaster for me as I'm up to €4900 in a tier 1 primary action and am short about half an acre to get over the €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrickn

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    Am I right in saying only land you declared on your 2014 SFP form can be included in a 2015 Glas application? New leased land for 2015 will not be able to be included on your Glas application.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 iro

planners are looking to charge 300 per share to draw up a commonage plan.
    there may well be 30/40 shares in some places.
    money money money for at the most 3 day work
    Did the dept lay down any cost guide lines for commonage plans ????

Had my GLAS plan drawn up in my planners office in 30 mins, getting 5k, he is charging 400....... not bad 800/ hour

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Are many people on here opting for the wild bird cover to qualify for the category 2 for more priority to get into the scheme. I can make up the full amount but I don't know whether to bother doing the wild bird cover option because I could do without losing a hectare of grazing ground. Are people chancing going into category 3 and hoping for the best I don't know whether to chance it, I'd be fairly keen to get into the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Well, I've just come home from Teagasc office. Application is winging its way. The SAC looks like it is finally going to earn its keep. I have to do some fencing of watercourses where the drinking places are. I went for low input permanent pasture as well - just can't spray only weedlick and not allowed to top/mow until 15th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

I would qualify for tier 1 due to land in SAC.
    Im with Teagasc and have been appointed a planner (FRS) since 12th of March.

Deadline is fast approaching and nobody has yet made contact with me regarding getting a plan done up and submitted.

Rang the Teagasc office and they seem none the wiser as to whats happening.

any suggestions on what to do from here?
    Can i now go down the private planner route?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

dryan wrote: »
    I would qualify for tier 1 due to land in SAC.
    Im with Teagasc and have been appointed a planner (FRS) since 12th of March.

Deadline is fast approaching and nobody has yet made contact with me regarding getting a plan done up and submitted.

Rang the Teagasc office and they seem none the wiser as to whats happening.

any suggestions on what to do from here?
    Can i now go down the private planner route?

Dryan,
    At this stage it is very unlikely that you will get a private planner as they seem to be taking no more clients. What happened to you was always on the card to happen as Teagasc have farmed out the GLAS work to the FRS and they employed mostly graduates straight from college with no experience in this kind of work and the scheme is complex so these young graduates were on a hiding to nothing. My advice to you would be to go for Tranche 2 later in the year and get a planner with experience in these schemes. Sorry I have no good news for you, but best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

KatyMac wrote: »
    I went for low input permanent pasture as well - not allowed to top/mow until 15th July.

Can you take silage off low input pasture paddocks after 15 July if they get too strong???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Muckit wrote: »
    Can you take silage off low input pasture paddocks after 15 July if they get too strong???

No silage ya can only top after 15th of July.

That's what I thought. It's a right balls. You'd think you should be allowed take off after the 15july if stayed within the fert limits. The whole thing with different rules for different parcels is a joke and makes no sense.

God this scheme should suit you (same as me) down to the ground AP. Will you manage to extract the full 5k?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

That's what I thought. It's a right balls. You'd think you should be allowed take off after the 15july if stayed within the fert limits. The whole thing with different rules for different parcels is a joke and makes no sense.

God this scheme should suit you (same as me) down to the ground AP. Will you manage to extract the full 5k?

I won't unfort I am at €4,600, mainly lipp, some wbc and bat and bird boxes. I have kept a few acres for silage just incase there is a bit of demand with lads going into this scheme. After fees and expense of sowing wbc I reckon net of €4000 * 5 so €20,000. Planner thought it was decent for farm my size. Long time earning that from cattle and silage and should help my ground recover and possibly even improve.

It's ironic alright that my farming practices have made me an ideal candidate for the scheme. How about yourself? Have you had a planner out yet? If memory serves me correctly you had some great grass. Would it even make it into lipp? I think it's a joke if it doesn't but my planner was dodgy about 2 fields I had, need to be only 30% ryegrass cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Put in for trad hay medows instead same per ha and can make silage but it has to be turned twice

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hawthorne

One of my neighbours approached me today with a problem concerning the Glas sheme.
    I do not know much about it.I had a look at the DoAgri page and found some general infos about it. Not enough detail.
    My man was on the REPS sheme first, but ended somehow on Glas. He regrets it now,but cannot get out anymore.He said that he did not know that it involves so much work.
    He claims that he has to clean up all his stone walls in his fields. He said he has to remove all the moss and grass from them. He asked me what sort of weedkiller I would recommend. I was stunned when I heard this. Stone walls are the habitat for many insects and small animals. If you remove the moss- which sounds already weird, because it will quickly grow back- and treat the walls with a weedkiller, you most likely kill a lot of animals as well and make the place unhabitable for some time. In short- you do exactly the opposite of what you was supposed to do.
    Has anybody some infos about the treatment of boundary stone walls in the sheme ? I am not looking for any tips about how to rebuild them. I know all about that. But what about this moss and grass thing- it sounds wrong to me.
    He also claims that any hedge along a stone wall must be removed and a new hedge replanted at another place. I understand that sometimes a hedge can interfere with a wall and must be pruned to avoid stones being pushed out of the wall. But the idea of removing a complete hedge sounds wrong to me as well. Why should an intact habitat be destroyed ?

Great if someone has some answers to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

hawthorne wrote: »
    One of my neighbours approached me today with a problem concerning the Glas sheme.
    I do not know much about it.I had a look at the DoAgri page and found some general infos about it. Not enough detail.
    My man was on the REPS sheme first, but ended somehow on Glas. He regrets it now,but cannot get out anymore.He said that he did not know that it involves so much work.
    He claims that he has to clean up all his stone walls in his fields. He said he has to remove all the moss and grass from them. He asked me what sort of weedkiller I would recommend. I was stunned when I heard this. Stone walls are the habitat for many insects and small animals. If you remove the moss- which sounds already weird, because it will quickly grow back- and treat the walls with a weedkiller, you most likely kill a lot of animals as well and make the place unhabitable for some time. In short- you do exactly the opposite of what you was supposed to do.
    Has anybody some infos about the treatment of boundary stone walls in the sheme ? I am not looking for any tips about how to rebuild them. I know all about that. But what about this moss and grass thing- it sounds wrong to me.
    He also claims that any hedge along a stone wall must be removed and a new hedge replanted at another place. I understand that sometimes a hedge can interfere with a wall and must be pruned to avoid stones being pushed out of the wall. But the idea of removing a complete hedge sounds wrong to me as well. Why should an intact habitat be destroyed ?

Great if someone has some answers to this.

My understanding is that with the dry stone wall maintenance you can't have 'scrub' covering the wall. To me that's bushes and briars hiding the wall. They can't expect you to remove every bit if ivy and moss off the walls a there's always going to be the odd bush.

This is not stone wall country, so l am of little use personally, but best ro check it out with the glas office in johnstown castle, wexford 053 916 3400. At least your friend will be getting it straight from the horses mouth.

It sounds weird as you say. Was it his planner or a lad in the pub was telling him about having to remove the moss and hedging?

Planner must be on something, GLAS is specific on its actions, removing moss etc. is not necessary but just get the planner sobered up and talk to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Is there payment dates set for Glas? Or does it depend on your measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Thanks for all the answers about the moss,etc. problem.
    I phoned the office in Johnstown Castle,Wexford. I was told that the moss does not have to be removed. And old hedges can stay where they are.
    My neighbour had taken the wording "to clean up" quite literally. When I told the neighbour, he was very pleased and relieved. The prospect of cleaning a few hundred meters of stone walls had been a nightmare for him during the last few weeks....

Advertisement