Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at GLAS info

Options
  • 07-02-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Got a leaflet from Teagasc yesterday about GLAS. Am I reading it right when it says that is you have SAC you are in the first tier and will probably get in? I have 2 fields that have SAC status, about 16 acres in area. I've always thought it was nothing but a plague, but now am not so sure. Have any of ye thought much about it yet? is it worthwhile or will it just be another load of red tape with not much at the end.
    I have been looking at traditional hay meadows and dry stone walls as I've got those in spades anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

KatyMac wrote: »
    Got a leaflet from Teagasc yesterday about GLAS. Am I reading it right when it says that is you have SAC you are in the first tier and will probably get in? I have 2 fields that have SAC status, about 16 acres in area. I've always thought it was nothing but a plague, but now am not so sure. Have any of ye thought much about it yet? is it worthwhile or will it just be another load of red tape with not much at the end.
    I have been looking at traditional hay meadows and dry stone walls as I've got those in spades anyway.

I suppose it all depends on what type of farming you are doing, but I think it isn't a patch on the reps scheme that it is supposed to be replacing. 5k isn't enough of a carrot for all the restrictions imposed, for me anyway. Reps was cut by (AFAIK) 17% after ppl signed up for it, what's to stop the prix cutting this to 4k after we all sign up for it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

That's my fear as well but I suppose I'm living in hope (not dying in despair). The SAC is a nuisance anyway, so they can hardly make it much worse!!!! I actually did a bit of work on it last year, clearing out existing drains which improved it no end. A neighbour has had sheep on it for the winter and they ate the rough grass down to the roots and it looks better now than it has done for years. I might even get a cut of silage which will be better than standing over the cattle for a couple of hours watching out for redwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Entering GLAS. Farm in SPA. Hopefully they get rid of capped payments, which are totally unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭aneala

Hi All,

Does anyone have a definition of "low input permanent pasture"?

If your let put out some small amount of fert at least, I might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I rang today looking for details and they said that they didn't have that information yet.
    Only in this country would they announce a scheme open and tell you they don't have information on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

djmc wrote: »
    I rang today looking for details and they said that they didn't have that information yet.
    Only in this country would they announce a scheme open and tell you they don't have information on it.

Agreed djmc, anyone know how many HA qualify you for the 2k top up. I am farming 14HA SAC (Hen Harrier) and have read farmers will qualify for 2k top up if farming enough area. Currently 14ha * €370 = €5,180. So looks like will qualify for the 5k, would I need to be farming close on 19 HA to qualify for the 2k extra?

As in 18.91 HA * €370 = €7k or what way will it work does anyone know?

Scheme is open but no details, what a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'm going to a meeting next Monday. Teagasc sent out a letter and I believe most of the lads around me got them too. It seems to be full steam ahead, but I don't think there is much time to think about it, from reading the letter they are looking for you to sign up there and then but maybe I've got that wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

Dont panic about signing up to Teagasc they have subcontracted out their GLAS planning and are charging huge money for GALS plans. Seem to be trying to panic people into signing up with them. Shop around

Sorry GLAS plans!

Just read that I can't transfer from AEOS 2 to GLAS until 2016, bloody disaster.
    I signed up to AEOS 2 on the assumption (I know assumption is the mother of all f%*$ ups) that I could switch to a new environmental scheme if one were made available, for those with Hen Harrier Designated land etc.

Raging with myself, although probably would have signed up anyway. "A bird in the hand...." attitude at the time.

F it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

Dont panic about signing up to Teagasc they have subcontracted out their GLAS planning and are charging huge money for GALS plans. Seem to be trying to panic people into signing up with them. Shop around

what kind of figures are you talking about here?

Was with Teagasc for Reps4 so wouldnt mind shopping around.

dryan wrote: »
    what kind of figures are you talking about here?

Was with Teagasc for Reps4 so wouldnt mind shopping around.

Journal last week said that teagasc/FRS could be charging e1145 for GLAS plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

patjack wrote: »
    Just read that I can't transfer from AEOS 2 to GLAS until 2016

So am I right in saying that you can’t be in both AEOS and GLAS, transform only? If you’re referring to the clause below under eligibility it doesn’t distinguish between AEOS 1, 2 etc or have you read something else from another document?

“7.4. Only those participants currently in AEOS with Commonage or Hen Harrier Environmental Priorities on their farms may transform from their existing contracts into GLAS in the first Tranche of applications.”

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CallofGuti

Saw that, think it said at least €1145 which seems very high. Is that every year?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    So am I right in saying that you can’t be in both AEOS and GLAS, transform only? If you’re referring to the clause below under eligibility it doesn’t distinguish between AEOS 1, 2 etc or have you read something else from another document?

“7.4. Only those participants currently in AEOS with Commonage or Hen Harrier Environmental Priorities on their farms may transform from their existing contracts into GLAS in the first Tranche of applications.”

Thanks Ten Pin, a glimmer of hope, hope your right. My AEOS 2 payment isn't worth diddly squat, planner made a bad job of it, asked him would I qualify for the 4k he said yes, ended up getting less than 2k. Couldn't get hold of him after, :-)

This is what I was reading:

http://www.yourcommonage.ie/2015/02/aeos-should-you-transfer-to-glas-now.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Just read that I can't transfer from AEOS 2 to GLAS until 2016, bloody disaster.
    I signed up to AEOS 2 on the assumption (I know assumption is the mother of all f%*$ ups) that I could switch to a new environmental scheme if one were made available, for those with Hen Harrier Designated land etc.

Raging with myself, although probably would have signed up anyway. "A bird in the hand...." attitude at the time.

F it anyway.

Will it be possible to get into Glas in 2016 when you are finished AEOS?

tanko wrote: »
    Will it be possible to get into Glas in 2016 when you are finished AEOS?

Hi Tanko,

Thanks to Ten Pin pointing it out to me, it looks like I will qualify to transform in 2015. Ten Pin has the attention to detail I don't possess. :)

I had an inkling that I was told I could transfer from AEOS to any new scheme but when I couldn't find any documentation on it.

Think places will be limited in 2016 prob would qualify on priority basis alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

F it anyway.

ARe you still not better off, how many years would you of been without a payment,

F it anyway.

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you have a priority asset (Commonage protected bird etc) you should be allowed to switch to GLAS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Charliebull

where alse can one look then, where would one get a list of private planners

thats some chunk money, cant be every year

• Advertisement

Correct me if i'm wrong but if you have a priority asset (Commonage protected bird etc) you should be allowed to switch to GLAS

Your right, I missed that clause. Like your username, is it trademarked, it could apply to me and a few others on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was at the cillin hill meeting last week and they gave rough cost of 330 ish for application + 450ish for plan

ARe you still not better off, how many years would you of been without a payment,

Well Sean, my AEOS payment is so low, I 'd be better off joining GLAS asap. Even if I was losing up to 1k by joining I'd take it, prefer to be in ASAP and be assured of the 5k for the 5 yrs as soon as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Well Sean, my AEOS payment is so low, I 'd be better off joining GLAS asap. Even if I was losing up to 1k by joining I'd take it, prefer to be in ASAP and be assured of the 5k for the 5 yrs as soon as I could.

Ok in that case your unlucky, I was presuming you could of been in aeos 2 years and it will be prob the end of 16 early 17 before there is a full 12 month payment on this, u will only lose 1 year I'd say

*List of Approved Advisors (xls 259Kb)
    department of agriculture list of approved GLAS advisors as of today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Rang local teagasc office today about it they are having info meetings this week about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

anyone have a of the list of rare breeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Cattle Horses and Ponies Sheep
    Kerry Connemara Pony Galway
    Dexter Irish Draught
    Irish Maol (or Moiled) Kerry Bog Pony

Note: The maximum number of livestock units that can be claimed for annual payment is 10

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

What is needed to get the full payment of 2000 for Glas+

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

What is needed to get the full payment of 2000 for Glas+

A miracle I would say....

Advertisement