Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at GLAS info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Would anyone know with regard the Permanent Pasture:
    Would you be allowed to spread slurry on the designated area?
    Could you do drainage to appropriate wet spots?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

50HX wrote: »
    low in put is 140 kg nitrates/ha

Anyone good at the paperwork? What kind of stocking rate does this allow for anf how much bag fert ( if any)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone good at the paperwork? What kind of stocking rate does this allow for anf how much bag fert ( if any)?
    I could be wrong,
    170Kg/N/Ha * Area (Ha) = X
    X - Total N (Kg) for 2014) = Y
    Amount of Bag = Y/(10*Strength of N)
    i.e. for 18.6.12 = Y/(10*18)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

At info meeting teagasc today.
    Cost to apply€435 if ya don't qualify you can reapply in 2nd tranche.that money sounds like a non returnable deposit if you don't get into the scheme.
    If you get in it's an extra €465 to draw up your plan for the scheme.Soil testing extra.

As con said here a while ago the commonage sounds like a nightmare the advisor at the meeting said as much today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I said wrote: »
    Cost to apply€435 if ya don't qualify you can reapply in 2nd tranche.that money sounds like a non returnable deposit if you don't get into the scheme.
    If you get in it's an extra €465 to draw up your plan for the scheme.Soil testing extra.

Holy hell, sure most will be luck to get 2k a year I reckon.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Holy hell, sure most will be luck to get 2k a year I reckon.

You can get up to five a year for five years it's how you can manovere it to suit.
    For the wild bird area it's a lot of ground to sow,the return is good but it's tied up for five years.

You can get up to five a year for five years it's how you can manovere it to suit.
    For the wild bird area it's a lot of ground to sow,the return is good but it's tied up for five years.

Do you reckon there is any hope in getting in for a fella in my situation. I am farming 30 odd acres, under stocked, no water ways(besides drains), no slurry on farm. Lightly stocked and no outwintering.

Not sure how I would qualify from tier 1. Unless I plant wild bird cover. 99% of my farm is permanent grass and over 15 years since reseeded.

Only thing I can see is stone wall maintenance, which sounds like hard work or maybe planting trees which could be costly.

Is there any point of a dry stock farm like mine applying or am I wasting my time?

AP2014 wrote: »
    Do you reckon there is any hope in getting in for a fella in my situation. I am farming 30 odd acres, under stocked, no water ways(besides drains), no slurry on farm. Lightly stocked and no outwintering.

Not sure how I would qualify from tier 1. Unless I plant wild bird cover. 99% of my farm is permanent grass and over 15 years since reseeded.

Only thing I can see is stone wall maintenance, which sounds like hard work or maybe planting trees which could be costly.

Is there any point of a dry stock farm like mine applying or am I wasting my time?
    No harm in checking it out

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

My understanding of the charges is that the fee to apply is €435.00 but you only get this rate if you are in the Teagasc club which costs between €145 to €200 per year so you have to add on this additional charge to the €435 which gives a total of between €580 and €635. The same holds for drawing up the plan if you get in that is you have to add on the teagasc club charge.

• Advertisement

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    My understanding of the charges is that the fee to apply is €435.00 but you only get this rate if you are in the Teagasc club which costs between €145 to €200 per year so you have to add on this additional charge to the €435 which gives a total of between €580 and €635. The same holds for drawing up the plan if you get in that is you have to add on the teagasc club charge.

Don't ya pay a private advisor a fee also

No harm in checking it out

Cheers, I'll fire off an email to a few advisor's on the list. Would want to be fairly confident of getting in for that fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

Don't ya pay a private advisor a fee also

Well I would be very surprised if he would do it for nothing.

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Well I would be very surprised if he would do it for nothing.

Yeah I was doubting that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

This is something I can't get an answer on from info released, planners or other sources:

If you have a priority asset we'll say Hen Harrier which pays €370/ha. And with your hectares this brings you to €5,450 can you avail of GLAS plus by utilising other measures to get you to the €7,000. Or could you in this case only get avail of GLAS + if you have enough hectares to bring over the €7k using the priority asset on its own?

Anyone any thoughts on this, struggling to get to info, have emailed the Depts designated GLAS email but as of yet no response. If the planners don't know yet, then I don't know how we are supposed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

patjack wrote: »
    This is something I can't get an answer on from info released, planners or other sources:

If you have a priority asset we'll say Hen Harrier which pays €370/ha. And with your hectares this brings you to €5,450 can you avail of GLAS plus by utilising other measures to get you to the €7,000. Or could you in this case only get avail of GLAS + if you have enough hectares to bring over the €7k using the priority asset on its own?

Anyone any thoughts on this, struggling to get to info, have emailed the Depts designated GLAS email but as of yet no response. If the planners don't know yet, then I don't know how we are supposed to know.
    I would also like to know the answer to this as Im in a similar situation. From what I can gather I think you can make up the balance with a different action but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

So it seems you
    - decide you want to join
    - say you're interested, reply to some text
    - get you plan done by May 15
    - pay the planner
    - you find out in sept if you're accepted or not

What happens if you aren't accepted? Is the money you paid in May gone, or what happens in this case?

Or am I reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

So it seems you
    - decide you want to join
    - say you're interested, reply to some text
    - get you plan done by May 15
    - pay the planner
    - you find out in sept if you're accepted or not

What happens if you aren't accepted? Is the money you paid in May gone, or what happens in this case?

Or am I reading it wrong?

You can apply the next time it opens up with that original plan. If you dont get in this year and next year dosent suit your fee is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Whats a derailleur?

eire23 wrote: »
    You can apply the next time it opens up with that original plan. If you dont get in this year and next year dosent suit your fee is gone.

No, the meeting I was at they said if you don't get accepted this time, your application stays on file for the next tranche in 2016..and it's reassessed then. You don't have to reapply in 2016.
    If you apply your fee is gone alright it seems.

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    I would also like to know the answer to this as Im in a similar situation. From what I can gather I think you can make up the balance with a different action but not sure.

I find that matrix they have very confusing, my reading of the matrix, I would have thought that if you have Hen Harrier you could chose Private Natura which I know would overlap, but I also thought it states that they could overlap.

I am reliably informed however I am wrong on this. We'll get some clarity soon I'd say. A lot of planners have some form of training again this week.

Coveney said something that along the lines that if you have enough in it. The big question is whats enough?

If you hear anything Corkfarmer would you mind posting on here?
    And vice versa, if I hear anything I'll throw it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Whats a derailleur?

I find that matrix they have very confusing, my reading of the matrix, I would have thought that if you have Hen Harrier you could chose Private Natura which I know would overlap, but I also thought it states that they could overlap.

I am reliably informed however I am wrong on this. We'll get some clarity soon I'd say. A lot of planners have some form of training again this week.

Coveney said something that along the lines that if you have enough in it. The big question is whats enough?

My UNDERSTANDING of it is that the only way you can be GLAS+ is if you already have 2 PEAs...so you've got commonage and farmland birds or rare breeds.

But I don't think you can take actions to bump yourself up to GLAS+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

My UNDERSTANDING of it is that the only way you can be GLAS+ is if you already have 2 PEAs...so you've got commonage and farmland birds or rare breeds.

Unless they change it, the only action you can take with commonage to get GLAS+ is rare breeds. That's the only other measure that is listed in the commonage section. And then you have the unit value, breeding, and registered previous history hoops attached to that measure. Basically you'd need ten registered Connemara ponies, been a member of the society for the past two or three years, have had one registered offspring for each in that time and I think you may have to have the animal served each time in heat in GLAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Very few people will get over 5k. And a lot of farmers will do well to reach 3-4k. Its a complete joke scheme. Made as complicated as possible so the powers that be can say. Ahh sure look at those little farmers refusing money. They must be rich enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Unless they change it, the only action you can take with commonage to get GLAS+ is rare breeds. That's the only other measure that is listed in the commonage section. And then you have the unit value, breeding, and registered previous history hoops attached to that measure. Basically you'd need ten registered Connemara ponies, been a member of the society for the past two or three years, have had one registered offspring for each in that time and I think you may have to have the animal served each time in heat in GLAS.

My 2 Galway ewes aren't much good to me then !

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

Was talking to advisor today and he is no wiser on this matter, but will hopefully find out this week so will keep you posted.

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    Was talking to advisor today and he is no wiser on this matter, but will hopefully find out this week so will keep you posted.

Hi Corkfarmer,

Was at a meeting last night, normal rule is that you need two priority assets to qualify for GLAS + with the exception of Hen Harrier. You will get paid on Hen Harrier up to 18.93 Hectares.

Worrying thing for a few farmers at the meeting was that if your land is in organic and you want to claim Hen Harrier on that same land you will have to forego your organic payment. Strange one!

Only thing the planner said was that he thought this may be changed in that you can claim both but he is to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

My situation would be typical of a fair few part time farmers on Western seaboard I would imagine.Have a few years left to run on AEOS,also have commonage,no Natura area.
    The whole situation re 'GLAS' seems to be as clear as mud regarding whether likes of myself should jump ship from AEOS and apply to GLAS .....I posted on another thread how some advisors recommend staying with AEOS till end and that a new scheme or different form of GLAS will replace it.....whereas other advisors say to leave AEOS and try to get into GLAS this year when theres a bigger numerical intake???????

Disappointing that the Dept introduce a new scheme with all the bells and whistles coverage of how it will put money back into farmers pockets....then leave a very short timescale for the farmers to decide whether to go for it or not.

And leave huge unknowns there about the whole thing while farmers make up their minds.

• Advertisement

My situation would be typical of a fair few part time farmers on Western seaboard I would imagine.Have a few years left to run on AEOS,also have commonage,no Natura area.
    The whole situation re 'GLAS' seems to be as clear as mud regarding whether likes of myself should jump ship from AEOS and apply to GLAS .....I posted on another thread how some advisors recommend staying with AEOS till end and that a new scheme or different form of GLAS will replace it.....whereas other advisors say to leave AEOS and try to get into GLAS this year when theres a bigger numerical intake???????

Disappointing that the Dept introduce a new scheme with all the bells and whistles coverage of how it will put money back into farmers pockets....then leave a very short timescale for the farmers to decide whether to go for it or not.

And leave huge unknowns there about the whole thing while farmers make up their minds.

Have to agree, WP, it was a big point of debate at our meeting last night whether to jump ship or stay. The planner last night was inclined to say stay put unless you are tier three.

This his interpretation, he reckons the scheme will be underscribed with the short time frame, so he reckons if a tier 3 applicant wanted to join, now would be the best time to try as next year there are few places and more priority applicants coming off other schemes. He did issue a health warning saying this was his interpretation. He also said said that the dept have committed to opening another Glas scheme in Sept, again he said, nothing in writing and this could be Jan Feb 16 rather than Sept 15.

His train of thought for people in our area (Hen Harrier Designated) was stay in AEOS or Hen Harrier Plans till completion then join whatever GLAS scheme is available.

Doctors differ and patients die, but thats his reading. Totally different advice would be relevant for Commonages etc.

I am going contra to his advice, in terms of jumping ship from AEOS to GLAS because I'd prefer the certainty of having 5 years guaranteed GLAS than wondering and waiting about the next GLAS to open.

Easy decision for me though as I won't lose out much financially and in my case worth it for the certainty.

So many unknowns still and the dept have chopped and changed details in the background. Why the nuts and bolts of the scheme aren't available to farmers I don't know. In reality the scheme isn't open yet as there are still issues to be ironed out.

Advertisement