Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Monday 4th May 'rest' i.e. cut the grass, did some weeding (2,000 squats :) ) full top to bottom house clean - a recovery run would have been more restful!

Tuesday 5th May 60 mins easy @ 10.45, 5.59 miles avg hr 137, 4 loops of the village, couldn't face the bypass AGAIN especially in that wind. This was ok actually, I thought I'd be bored silly doing loops but it was nice to be close to home. Kept this at the low range of easy, feeling a bit on the tired side.

Wednesday 6th May Strength session, foam rolling & AIS

Thursday 7th May 45 mins easy @ 10.55 4 miles, nothing easy about this, have been feeling tired the last couple of weeks and today was the worst so far, to the extent that I could barely lift my legs, possibly exhausted is a better description than tired. I cut the last planned mile out and called it a day. Lots of negative thoughts throughout and at one stage almost close to tears which is a real indicator of super tiredness for me. Early night & put it behind me I hope.

Friday 8th May lunchtime hill sprints with aquinn, great to have some company! thanks A :-) 2 crazy people out doing hill sprints in the pouring rain attracted the attention of a very cute driver who stopped to compliment us on our dedication - highlight of the week :p Still a bit tired this morning but actually much better once I got going and totally buzzing now I'm back so yay.

1 mile warm up, 8 x 9 second hill sprints 1 mile cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Firedance wrote: »

Friday 8th May lunchtime hill sprints with aquinn, great to have some company! thanks A :-) 2 crazy people out doing hill sprints in the pouring rain attracted the attention of a very cute driver who stopped to compliment us on our dedication - highlight of the week :p Still a bit tired this morning but actually much better once I got going and totally buzzing now I'm back so yay.

1 mile warm up, 8 x 9 second hill sprints 1 mile cool down.

So brave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Friday 8th May lunchtime hill sprints
    with aquinn, great to have some company! thanks A :-) 2 crazy people out doing
    hill sprints in the pouring rain attracted the attention of a very cute driver
    who stopped to compliment us on our dedication - highlight of the week :p Still a bit tired this morning but actually much
    better once I got going and totally buzzing now I'm back so yay.

Good work going on here FD!

Nice to be complimented too on your efforts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

2 crazy people out doing hill sprints in the pouring rain attracted the attention of a very cute driver who stopped to compliment us on our dedication - highlight of the week :p

Annapr, why does this never happen to us when we're doing our hill sprints ?!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Annapr, why does this never happen to us when we're doing our hill sprints ?!? :D

Lol, I was just thinking the same thing... change of venue needed maybe? although some of the oul' fellas in Fairview park have thrown us admiring looks as they hobbled by, I'm sure :p

• Advertisement

Saturday 9th May 35 mins @ 10.34, this is a step back week and I was very grateful for the shorter run today, foot quite sore after yesterday. Someone asked me before whether it might be worse in the cold or wet, I wasn't sure but perhaps? I don't even know if that's a 'thing' but interesting that friday was very wet run. Lots of aches & pains including lower back and tlf on right leg.

Sunday 10th May
    warm up 1.55 miles @ 10.40
    5k race @ 8.41 (splits 8.08, 8.47, 9.12) womens meet & train in Cherryfield Park, tough tough tough with hills and GRASS ugh! along with strong winds. Nothing nice to say about this race except the extraordinarily delicious cream cake at the end :D & the catch up with BG who looked like she was on cruise control when she was heading for the finish as I still had half a lap to go! having said that I came in 13 places better than last weeks race so that's good I guess.
    cool down 2 miles @ 11.33, stopped of in the PP with a plan to do some slow easy miles to make up a long run for today - big fat fail - legs banjaxed, everything hurt so called it a day and instead will call it 66 mins @ 27 min tempo...

13 places up is brilliant FD, and places are what it's all about in this league. I think most of our team were a few places down so well done you. Definitely can't compare this course with the one in Lucan, today's was much slower with the hills, off-road and the wind. The cakes were amazing weren't they ? I had to limit myself to one (or I would have tried them all :rolleyes:) so went for the coffee cake and it was delicious. Possibly contained more calories than I burned off in the race though...:o

13 places up is brilliant FD, and places are what it's all about in this league. I think most of our team were a few places down so well done you. Definitely can't compare this course with the one in Lucan, today's was much slower with the hills, off-road and the wind. The cakes were amazing weren't they ? I had to limit myself to one (or I would have tried them all :rolleyes:) so went for the coffee cake and it was delicious. Possibly contained more calories than I burned off in the race though...:o

yep, ditto, I reckon we earned it though.... I think these races are much closer to 'racing' than road races, seems to me everyone is flat out the whole way rather than working off a pre calculated pace. I know I said I didn't enjoy it but actually I probably did really as the atmosphere and the buzz is great :-) great that your flabby abs didn't flare up!

I think these races are much closer to 'racing' than road races, seems to me everyone is flat out the whole way rather than working off a pre calculated pace.

Yeah, it's definitely old school 'eyeballs out' - love it! The support was amazing, we could have been at the Olympics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sounds like a gruelling run, fair play! When I did my first 5k last August, I was gently told to respect the distance; it's a real toughie...you're basically going all out for 3.1 miles :eek: Well done on knowing when to call it a day too ;)

• Advertisement

Monday 11th May strength session, AIS, foam rolling

Tuesday 12th May 76 mins with 36 mins @ HM pace total 7.44 miles avg HR 141
    10.25, 10.21, 10.20, 10.11, 9.30, 9.40, 9.35, 10.29, 10.40

Wednesday 13th Maystrength session

Thursday 15th May 65 mins 'easy' this turned into another tempo type run by accident and I was quite tired by the end of it hence very easy pace in last couple of miles
    10.34, 9.19, 9.36, 10.26, 10.30, 11.00, 11.15 total 6.34 miles

Friday 16th May 9 x 30 second hill sprints, 1 mile warm up, one mile cool down both @ 10.30 pace
    actually fell asleep when I got home and was having all sorts of debates with myself about running/not running. Was browsing the logs here and reading TBL's gave me a good kick up the backside. Really glad I went now, feeling a bit more alive!

tomorrow I'm going to try the bootcamp the club runs, then do 50 mins easy pace, Sunday is a long run aprox 11 miles. Plan is to head to Terenure first and get some inspiration! and watch BG and probably aquinn smash the 35 mins followed swiftly by Anna & Laura coming in under 40, does that sound right?! I've forgotten DG sorry but I reckon she'll be too fast for me to even see her :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Monday 11th May strength session, AIS, foam rolling

Tuesday 12th May 76 mins with 36 mins @ HM pace total 7.44 miles avg HR 141
    10.25, 10.21, 10.20, 10.11, 9.30, 9.40, 9.35, 10.29, 10.40

Wednesday 13th Maystrength session

Thursday 15th May 65 mins 'easy' this turned into another tempo type run by accident and I was quite tired by the end of it hence very easy pace in last couple of miles
    10.34, 9.19, 9.36, 10.26, 10.30, 11.00, 11.15 total 6.34 miles

Friday 16th May 9 x 30 second hill sprints, 1 mile warm up, one mile cool down both @ 10.30 pace
    actually fell asleep when I got home and was having all sorts of debates with myself about running/not running. Was browsing the logs here and reading TBL's gave me a good kick up the backside. Really glad I went now, feeling a bit more alive!

tomorrow I'm going to try the bootcamp the club runs, then do 50 mins easy pace, Sunday is a long run aprox 11 miles. Plan is to head to Terenure first and get some inspiration! and watch BG and probably aquinn smash the 35 mins followed swiftly by Anna & Laura coming in under 40, does that sound right?! I've forgotten DG sorry but I reckon she'll be too fast for me to even see her :-D

Jesus FireD, I'm auld but have a bit to go before there's TbL in Memorial runs :)

Glad you enjoyed your run and well done with the 5k last Sunday in what sounded like a tough course

TBL: Rip (running injury prone :))

Jesus FireD, I'm auld but have a bit to go before there's TbL in Memorial runs :)

Glad you enjoyed your run and well done with the 5k last Sunday in what sounded like a tough course

:D:D i just meant it reminded me I'm lucky I CAN run and not sidelined with injury!! see, you're inspiring people from the couch :-) glad to see you'll be back up & running in 10 days or so though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Don't worry TbL, the woman is clearly delusional. Sub 40! Ha.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Don't worry TbL, the woman is clearly delusional. Sub 40! Ha.

:pac: :pac:

no bother to us Laura... cough, cough...

FD, looking forward to meeting you tomorrow! Hope we don't keep you waiting too long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck tomorrow! I'll be there supporting so might see you. Are people going to head to the clubhouse after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow! I'll be there supporting so might see you. Are people going to head to the clubhouse after?

I'm going to head over to the clubhouse after anyway, so hopefully catch you there. I'd say a few others will be too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's in Terenure college afterwards tomorrow not sportsworld clubhouse by the way.

Saturday 17th May AM: Athletics club 'bootcamp' 1hr, good but not overly taxing, followed by 2 hours track clean up which involved pulling bushes & bramble out from the hedgerow into a mulcher - this was much harder that the preceding bootcamp - went home tired & sore!
    PM: 30 mins easy @ 10:15

Sunday 18th May AM: went out to Terenure 5 mile to support. Great to see so many from here do well with lots of PB's in the bag despite course being tougher than anyone might have thought. Well done AQ, DG, BG Anna, Murph, Meno, great to see Adrian & Chicky too, enjoyed the catch up!

PM: 11 miles @ 10.40. the best thing I can say about this is that is over. I had to stop half way & take off my runners to stretch out the foot & achilies which seems to have joined the party of niggles now :(. Having said that I felt much better after the stretch and rather than stopping which I was leaning towards, we carried on to the second loop, I can't say it was comfortable and while I could hold a conversation the body was sore & tired, probably from yesterdays exertions. I have a nicely timed sports massage booked for tomorrow eve which I'm really looking forward to now!

Thanks for the encouragement today, FD, even though I didn't know you at the time :)

well done getting through the 11 miler.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement today, FD, even though I didn't know you at the time :)

well done getting through the 11 miler.

double celebration Anna with the match results! well done Donegal :-) (very disloyal of me given my granny was a Tyrone woman!!)

Good for you getting through the 11 miles. Hope your foot feeling better now? Enjoy that sports massage, you'll be flying for Wednesday :).

Good for you getting through the 11 miles. Hope your foot feeling better now? Enjoy that sports massage, you'll be flying for Wednesday :).

oh god, Wednesday!! news on the ground tho is that it may be called off due to an insurance problem, I think they're currently looking for another club to take it on... I'd be very sad indeed it it was postponed :rolleyes:

oh god, Wednesday!! news on the ground tho is that it may be called off due to an insurance problem, I think they're currently looking for another club to take it on... I'd be very sad indeed it it was postponed :rolleyes:

Really ? Oh. No. How....terrible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks so much for coming out and supporting on Sunday. Really good of you.
    How's the foot now, massage help? Well done for getting through the 11 miles.

aquinn wrote: »
    Thanks so much for coming out and supporting on Sunday. Really good of you.
    How's the foot now, massage help? Well done for getting through the 11 miles.

Foot is grand today thankfully, massage was t.o.r.t.u.r.e! but excellent. The list of things that are banjaxed not at their optimum is mental though...:D

Monday 18th May sports massage - torture but, lots of knots worked out and discovered I haven't been foam rolling properly = poor circulation to quads & hams (have been concentrating on calves, achilles & foot)

Tuesday 19th May 70 mins easy @ 10.50, ran this with one of the older lads who's returning from injury, very nice easy pace perfect for post massage jog. Super history discussion throughout too, all in all very enjoyable.

Wednesday 20th May Strength session, AIS & foam rolling

Thursday 21st May Track session. Decided to give this a shot, session was 6 x 1200 with 2 mins recovery, from the outset I decided I'd do 800 instead of 1200. Loved it! very tough but great to be back on the track as it always pushes me to try harder, fingers crossed I won't be limping tomorrow...
    9.11 (warm up)
    10:00 (cool down)
    absolutely thrilled with these paces, watch showed 2 records on save, fastest mile and fastest 5K (23.58!) obviously it doesn't count as there were recoveries in between but still, its given me a confidence boost that I'm making some progress after a very slow start to the year.
    I've signed up for the BHAA on Tuesday, I don't know if I can even match my time from last year but I'll certainly give it a shot.

Great session! See you Tuesday :)

Friday 22nd may, a day for the history books methinks..

30 mins very easy jog with the dog. Not enough time to walk him then run as usual as had to make 52 mile round trip to vote. Job done.

No ill effects from yesterdays club session either, delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Lovely session Thursday FD!
    What are your plans for the year? Marathoning or shorter stuff?

Advertisement