Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

What 5k pace were you aiming for, FD? when I did this session, I would have been aiming for roughly 25min 5k... but really didn't use the watch pacer, went by effort. I used the watch mainly to tell me when the 3mins were up (whew)!

Bet you felt good after it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    What 5k pace were you aiming for, FD? when I did this session, I would have been aiming for roughly 25min 5k... but really didn't use the watch pacer, went by effort. I used the watch mainly to tell me when the 3mins were up (whew)!

Bet you felt good after it though?

Hi Anna, I'm 40 seconds off a 25 min 5k so was aiming for my last 5k time mins a few seconds to 'mind' the foot, so somewhere around 8.20-8.25. Likewise I only looked at the watch to see when the 3 mins were up so didn't realise actual pace until I uploaded the stats but had a fair idea I couldn't sustain the effort certainly of the first lap!! My best pace for each lap was 6.21, 6.34, 7.14, 7.10 finally getting there with 8.11 on the last lap. I'm pretty sure if I'd have gone out at 8.15 or 8.20 on the first lap and kept it at that I would have been fine. So maybe I need to be checking my watch as my internal pace by feel thingy is broken :-D
    Yes you're right, I felt great afterwards, I always enjoy the faster effort runs they really do make you feel great dont they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

"Firedance wrote:
    Looking forward to the Howth run too, have a recipe for the most divine chocolate cake ever that I might try out! nice & light on the inside with a perfectly chocolatey coating... too much I wonder??

Well that's an incentive to do the howth run if ever I saw one!
    Well done on the intervals. Looks like you're at a very similar level to me. I always go out too fast on the first intervals too!

Thanks Chickey! yeah you should def come along on Good Friday, there's a good few doing it, if the weather is nice it'll be fab. I guess the pace thing comes with experience, hopefully will get there in the end..

aquinn wrote: »
    Eh no. I managed one week and going back to bootcamp I can't have a class on a Monday and attempt a session on a Tuesday, well not yet so I've fallen off that wagon yet again.

Definitely let me know for a lunchtime run. Tue/Thurs best as out with colleague Mon/Wed.

Cake sounds great!

how about a friday sometime and we can do those lovely hill sprints :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Firedance wrote: »
    Thanks Chickey! yeah you should def come along on Good Friday, there's a good few doing it, if the weather is nice it'll be fab. I guess the pace thing comes with experience, hopefully will get there in the end..

Would love to come but still waiting on my boss to tell me if I have to work or not :-\ Should find out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

how about a friday sometime and we can do those lovely hill sprints :D

On my REST day? Ok, fine :P

Wednesday 18th March pool swim, 20 lengths, really pleased with this, totally knackered afterwards tho and slept like a baby wed night

Thursday 19th March AIS pre run, session was 45 mins easy. I was still tired from the pool on wednesday so I found this a little difficult to get through but got there in the end. 47 mis @ 10.41 avg HR 139, total miles 4.43k.

Friday 20th March Drills pre run. session was 7*8 sec hill sprints. I totally forgot about a steeper hill close by home, over the railway bridge so headed for there today.

warm up 1 mile @ 10.31 avg hr 132

I'm not sure how accurate the watch splits are for such short sprints but the readings are:
    8.17, 9.33, 8.57, 9.30, 9.16, 8.41, 8.36, 9.04, The best pace for each sprint ranged from 5:30-5:50. I waited for my HR to go back down to 70 after each sprint & breathing had returned to normal.

cool down 1 mile @ 10.55 avg hr 143.

Really enjoyed these, it was a beautiful evening and the crest of the bridge is hidden from traffic so I could recover unseen by anyone wondering why I might be standing around doing nothing :)

Foam rolling & iced foot post run, all feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sounds like a really thorough hill session, from beginning to end. Nice one :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Sounds like a really thorough hill session, from beginning to end. Nice one :)

Thanks DG, learning so much with all these different sessions, think I'm starting to get the hang of them now :)

• Advertisement

Saturday 21st March what a glorious day for a run! went out early intending to do a mile before a parkrun, all didn't go to plan but was happy enough with what I got done. AIS and foam rolling pre run

17 mins. 1.62 miles @ 10.50 avg hr 153, HR was high for the pace. This was my pre park run warm up, nice and slow to loosen the legs after yesterdays hill sprints

14 mins 1.53 miles @ 9.03 pace hr 158. started the park run, was really just keeping a friend company she was going for sub 25 and I was just doing a tempo run, I came across her walking at the half way point and I stopped too and at this point turned off the watch, I wasn't racing so it didn't matter to me. We decided to jog slowly back to the finish line but I didn't re-start the watch but I"m guessing..

1 mile @ 11 pace to bring us home.

so total 4.1 miles in the lovely sunshine, followed by 40 mins strength training and a massive shed clear out / trip to the FCC recycling centre! I should have cut the grass too but hadn't the energy to get petrol for the mower :-)

Am hoping to get a longer run in tomorrow, haven't really been doing any great mileage so will head to the park and see how it goes. Hope the weather stays like this.

Sing Hallelujah, sing it, sing haaaaaleujah!! what another amazing day for running whoohoo! the high is better than drugs.

I took myself up to the park this morning with a plan of 'see how it goes' no pressure on time or distance. Parked at Castleknock gate and took the first right past farmleigh, this brings you down to chapelizod gate and around then with the liffey on my right up through the S bends, the sun was beaming down the park looked fantastic and the views on that route are stunning. I could see people canoening on the river. I have to say I ran this with a ridiculous grin on my face the whole way round. I got some odd looks :D

When I got up to the main road it was very busy with lots of traffic and people at the zoo etc so I turned left towards the popes cross and decided to run the trails there. I found that tough as the wind was against me and I always find running on grass harder on my legs but had the deer for company. I did stop here to do some hamstring stretches and that definitely helped.

Anyway, enough rambling. Total 7.02 miles in 1hr 15 @ 10.40 145 HR,
    10.03, 10.12, 10,42, 11.18, 10.48, 11.43, 10.51

The 3rd & 4 miles were up through the s bends and the 6th was through the trails.

I know its 'only' 7 miles but the longest I've been on my feet for a long long time so I'm overjoyed. The foot had a niggle here and there after the 4 mile mark but nothing major, and I've re-discovered my love of the park which I'd grown to hate after last years winter half training!

Happy Sunday folks.

Monday 23rd March so much for the lovely spring weather :) AIS & drills pre run. 37.45 mins easy @ 10.30 pace avg hr 145 3.58 miles - not feeling the ocd tonight....
    did this with a friend who ran the wicklow half yesterday so for her it was recovery run. Legs were feeling tired after yesterday so I was glad to have company.

followed by strength session & foam rolling.

Tuesday 24th March Today session was 'fartlek' I had a club meeting to go to and got home late from work so I was short on time for this, initially I decided to do a strength session and skip the run because I didn't think I could do it justice, but after the strength workout I decided I would just get out the door and run the village loop with 'something being better than nothing'

I didn't have any plan just run at different paces and mark each change as a lap. The paces were:

9.52, 8.21, 10.57, 7.51, 10, 52, 8.19, 11.02, 9.32, 11.10.

the distances for these were short enough, total miles only being 2. I was glad I'd gone out in the end but sorry I hadn't put a bit more planning into it.

Wednesday 27th March Nada... supposed to be at the pool this eve but had zero motivation to go out again after I got home, even the dog only got half a walk! cold, wet miserable evening :-)

Thursday 28th March will do a run this evening, plan says 30 mins easy, On 'other news' front I woke up this morning to messages from my brother to say his wife has gone into labour, they live abroad and this is the first niece/nephew in the family so an exciting day ahead I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

On 'other news' front I woke up this morning to messages from my brother to say his wife has gone into labour, they live abroad and this is the first niece/nephew in the family so an exciting day ahead I hope :)

Lovely news, hope it all goes smoothly and you'll be Aunty Firedance before too long!

Nice work on the fartlek, I think it's probably my favourite session to do now.

Thursday 26th March 2015 Aunty Firedance it is! excitement galore tinged with sadness that my folks didn't live to see their granddaughter.
    Anyways, back to running, AIS and drills pre run: 30 mins easy @ 10.30, 3 miles, no HR monitor on, enjoyed this, nothing to report.

Friday 27th March 6*7 seconds hill sprints. Warm up 1 mile @ 10:00, found a secluded hill near spencer dock, on the way down to a car park, no traffic but I'm sure people were thinking WTF is she at :). I don't have my watch charger with me so can't upload the splits, will have to do that later but did 6 sprints at full tilt. Then cool down 1 mile @ 9.58. Thoroughly enjoyable!

splits; 8.17, 7.43, 8.01, 7.23, 8.10, 7.40 - they look a bit all over the place but again, not sure how accurate they will be for such a short distance.

Going to do Cabinteely parkrun in the morning, I see from the route its twice up a hill I don't have fond memories of so I'll be taking it easy :D Then home to bake chocolate cake & banana bread for the afters of the Dunboyne 4 mile, if you haven't signed up you should! I'm not racing it but will be out on the course somewhere cheering on. Happy Friday..

Thursday 26th March 2015 Aunty Firedance it is! excitement galore tinged with sadness that my folks didn't live to see their granddaughter.
    Anyways, back to running, AIS and drills pre run: 30 mins easy @ 10.30, 3 miles, no HR monitor on, enjoyed this, nothing to report.

Friday 27th March 6*7 seconds hill sprints. Warm up 1 mile @ 10:00, found a secluded hill near spencer dock, on the way down to a car park, no traffic but I'm sure people were thinking WTF is she at :). I don't have my watch charger with me so can't upload the splits, will have to do that later but did 6 sprints at full tilt. Then cool down 1 mile @ 9.58. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Going to do Cabinteely parkrun in the morning, I see from the route its twice up a hill I don't have fond memories of so I'll be taking it easy :D Then home to bake chocolate cake & banana bread for the afters of the Dunboyne 4 mile, if you haven't signed up you should! I'm not racing it but will be out on the course somewhere cheering on. Happy Friday..

Congrats on the new niece!!!! :):)

We should have coordinated the hill sprints today so we didn't look so foolish.. oh well... maybe next time!

Friday pm had a very productive physio session last night, am definitely getting there with the foot but still had a good bit of muscle release to be done, painful! but can feel the difference this morning.

Saturday 28th March Cabinteely Park run. Am really happy with how this went, I wasn't ever going to race it and its a small bit hilly(!) and very windy today, so I went out at a comfortable pace and tried to stay with consistent effort throughout, having said that I was passing people on the hills and wasn't overtaken except by the leader as he whizzed past!

3 miles @ 9.26, splits are 9.17, HR 174, 9.30 hr 172, & 9.19 hr168, I'm not sure why I was so off on mile 2 I'll have to learn to use the analysis on garmin connect. I did manage a sprint finish to overtake someone to the finish line :-) Well done to Marthastew and all the organisers, I love cabinteely park and I'll be back for sure, it will be a super run to help with hills. Also the post race coffee & scone were worth the journey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Friday pm had a very productive physio session last night, am definitely getting there with the foot but still had a good bit of muscle release to be done, painful! but can feel the difference this morning.

Saturday 28th March Cabinteely Park run. Am really happy with how this went, I wasn't ever going to race it and its a small bit hilly(!) and very windy today, so I went out at a comfortable pace and tried to stay with consistent effort throughout, having said that I was passing people on the hills and wasn't overtaken except by the leader as he whizzed past!

3 miles @ 9.26, splits are 9.17, HR 174, 9.30 hr 172, & 9.19 hr168, I'm not sure why I was so off on mile 2 I'll have to learn to use the analysis on garmin connect. I did manage a sprint finish to overtake someone to the finish line :-) Well done to Marthastew and all the organisers, I love cabinteely park and I'll be back for sure, it will be a super run to help with hills. Also the post race coffee & scone were worth the journey :)

Well done today, trying to put a face to the username here (especially since you went for coffee). I was one of the scanners....

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done today, trying to put a face to the username here (especially since you went for coffee). I was one of the scanners....

I only saw one scanner so may not be you (J?) the girl that came in just after me had no barcode, I was all in black and more than a little out of breath after my sprint to the end, you asked me if I was ok :D. I introduced myself to Marthastew but wasn't sure who else might be there. Will know you next time though! We stayed downstairs in the cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I only saw one scanner so may not be you (J?) the girl that came in just after me had no barcode, I was all in black and more than a little out of breath after my sprint to the end, you asked me if I was ok :D. I introduced myself to Marthastew but wasn't sure who else might be there. Will know you next time though! We stayed downstairs in the cafe.

Ah, no Joe is in fact Mr Stew.
    I was the other scanner up to the right as you crossed the finish line.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ah, no Joe is in fact Mr Stew.
    I was the other scanner up to the right as you crossed the finish line.

damm, that's a pity, will pay more attention next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Congrats Aunty Firedance! :)

Sunday 29th March Running = ZERO.. had a couple of glasses of wine last night to wet the babys head and woke up this morning feeling absolutely rotten, not down to the wine I'm sure! Had a busy morning anyway and the weather was so horrible I decided to take a day off. Was running around doing bits and pieces and then spent the afternoon marshalling at Dunboyne 4 miler, I had hoped to be doing this race having done it last year before I was in a club and hoped to see a drastic improvement so was a bit pissed off that I couldn't race today, then I saw the weather and was overjoyed I couldn't race today!! Well done to everyone who came out and ran that, it was damp and very very windy so pb's were always going to be extremely hard to come by.

PM: AIS & Strength Session - at least the day wasn't a total right off...

Well done you for marshalling! Not great weather for that either.

just realised it was AMK I saw doing a warm up but wasn't sure so didn't say hi, possible conversation: hey, are you Auld Man King from boards? HUH? are you saying I'm Old? :eek::D

Monday 30th March AIS & drills pre run: 45 mins easy @ 10.33 HR 152, 4.22 miles

Decided to do yesterdays 4 mile race route backwards with a friend. Not only did we not escape the winds of Sunday but it also lashed rain on us too :rolleyes:, there was not much 'easy' about this! the legs were certainly feeling it and the HR suggests I was working a bit harder than I normally would at that pace. Nonetheless I was glad to have gone out, normally you'd meet about 20 other runners, we met two :-).

This evenings session is 4*4 mins @ 5K effort, looking forward to it, hopefully the wind will have died down a little by then..

Tuesday 31st March session 4*4 mins @ 5k effort with 3 min recoveries

had to talk myself into going back out to do this, walked the dog and it was bitterly cold & raining, then saw some club mates out in shorts so gave myself a kick up the backside and off I went...

warm up 1.37 miles @ 10.03 HR 137. Interesting to note lower avg HR for higher avg pace

1. 4 mins @ 8.35 HR 151
    3 mins @ 12.01 HR 135,
    2. 4 mins @ 8.48 HR 150
    3 mins @ 12.10 HR 132
    3. 4 mins @ 9.42 HR 151
    3 mins @ 12.30 HR 138
    4. 4 mins @ 8.54 HR 157
    3 mins @ 11.14 HR 139

cool down 4 mins @ 12.02, I took the recoveries very very easy as the effort on the 4 mins felt quite tough in places. Really not helped by the wind which seemed to be blowing sideways for most of this session, then I turned a corner on the 3rd interval straight into a hurricane!! looking at the HR for each 5k effort its pretty consistent, likewise with the recoveries so I'm happy with that.

I'm not posting my march totals or YTD mileage as I know I didn't have my watch for all the runs, will make a concerted effort to record properly next month and possibly join the 'steal Adrians table' brigade :-)

Well done on the session, can really see the impact of the wind there!

...but wait, no total mileage for the month!? How could you do that to us? At least I count all my miles :p

• Advertisement

ok! you're right.... I went back through the log because the info on GC is wrong,, I do need to start inputting manually when I run without a watch or the signal doesn't pick up..

March 85.07 miles
    Runs 23

actually really happy to see that V February 50 miles, am sticking quite well to Clearliers plan except for the longer runs so the aim for April is to incorporate those every Sunday and increase from 7 miles slowly, the foot has been feeling quite good recently, twinges here and there which seem to respond well & quickly to icing and stretching.

Advertisement