Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ososlo wrote: »
    Lovely session Thursday FD!
    What are your plans for the year? Marathoning or shorter stuff?

Definitely not a marathon!! A half perhaps, otherwise shorter stuff. Dunshaughlin will be a target I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Firedance wrote: »
    Definitely not a marathon!! A half perhaps, otherwise shorter stuff. Dunshaughlin will be a target I think.

Excellent. Good luck on Tuesday if you do it.

Saturday 23rd may: A great day to be Irish!

70 mins steady - 7.5 miles @ 9.59. Very happy with this, first time in ages legs were not heavy, did the back roads with a group & with the sunshine it was glorious

Followed by 1hr boot camp, very enjoyable. Now sunbathing :-) hello summer

Sunday 24th May long run - 12 miles @ 10.40 avg HR 134. Ran the same route as yesterday with a trip to leixlip village thrown in and a loop back home to bring it up to 12. Enjoyed this as the legs were mostly feeling good until the last couple of miles.

Total miles for the week 30. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sunday 24th May long run - 12 miles @ 10.40 avg HR 134. Ran the same route as yesterday with a trip to leixlip village thrown in and a loop back home to bring it up to 12. Enjoyed this as the legs were mostly feeling good until the last couple of miles.

Total miles for the week 30. Happy with that.

That's *early* to have the long run done. Well done!

• Advertisement

Thanks hilly :-) glad to be done and dusted... are you doing the hills again today?

Thanks hilly :-) glad to be done and dusted... are you doing the hills again today?

Yep, trying for the 7 this time. Just doing a wee bit of surfing before I head out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Yep, trying for the 7 this time. Just doing a wee bit of surfing before I head out!

you're leaving it late... should we have a search party on stand by!?

...and good week for you FD!

annapr wrote: »
    you're leaving it late... should we have a search party on stand by!?

...and good week for you FD!

Haha! (in fact I didn't head out till 5:45 :o). No, I came to the finish line on Calton hill around 9pm and it was still bright so no worries about bumping into couples/trios/etc up there... though I'm not the demographic of interest so would probably still be ok :).

Going to try next Sunday's hills earlier in the day anyhow because I think I need to try in slightly warmer temperatures ... it's not impossible (even here) that it could be 20C on 21st June...

5 mile race this evening, feeling very nervous for some reason, I don't normally get nervous before a race... last year I did Raheny in 47.xx mins then Dunboyne in 43.18, I don't really know where I am for tonight or what to aim for at this point in my return. Ideally I'd like 41.xx although I'll be happy with a PB. Any advice / pacing / strategy appreciated!

• Advertisement

For 5miles, I think best pacing is to head out just *slightly* below the 41:xx pace (say by 10-secs or so) and increase a bit based on how the first mile or two feel. But if there are uphill or downhill sections then you'd need to factor that in ...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

5 mile race this evening, feeling very nervous for some reason, I don't normally get nervous before a race... last year I did Raheny in 47.xx mins then Dunboyne in 43.18, I don't really know where I am for tonight or what to aim for at this point in my return. Ideally I'd like 41.xx although I'll be happy with a PB. Any advice / pacing / strategy appreciated!

I'm nervous too :eek:! It'll be grand. My advice for what it's worth, if you're going to be happy with a PB - and who wouldn't :D - would be to start out around 8:30 min/mile pace (42:30) and see how you are around half way. If you're struggling you can hang for another couple of miles and still get a PB, if you're feeling good, start picking people off one by one and 41:xx will be yours. You know the course so do you think that strategy might work for you?

that's a great idea, was just looking up paces there for different times and panicking that I can't hold them for that distance, breath...... thanks for that :-)

the very best of luck to you later on, I look forward to having a celebration cuppa with you afterwards! are you OK for number pick up??

that's a great idea, was just looking up paces there for different times and panicking that I can't hold them for that distance, breath...... thanks for that :-)

the very best of luck to you later on, I look forward to having a celebration cuppa with you afterwards! are you OK for number pick up??

We will be awesome. Fact :D .

Looking forward to that cuppa.

I registered online and leaving Dub at 6:30pm so will be grand thanks a mil. If I'm a bit late I'll just throw myself at their mercy and plead for my number.

FD, it's useful to work off a recent race time to decide your pace. I had a quick look above and found your 5k @ 8:41, albeit in tough enough conditions. McMillan predicts a 5 mile time of 44:46 based on that or a pace of 8:57.

You're the best judge of what's realistic for you at this point, but based on that, not sure why you think a pace of 8:20ish is sustainable for you over 5 miles?

If I were you at this point, I would say that anything better than McMillan is a strong performance.

edit: and of course, best of luck with it... if you set a conservative target, you're more likely to outperform it :D (i know that's against all the ethos around here, but good for your confidence!)

FD, it's useful to work off a recent race time to decide your pace. I had a quick look above and found your 5k @ 8:41, albeit in tough enough conditions. McMillan predicts a 5 mile time of 44:46 based on that or a pace of 8:57.

You're the best judge of what's realistic for you at this point, but based on that, not sure why you think a pace of 8:20ish is sustainable for you over 5 miles?

If I were you at this point, I would say that anything better than McMillan is a strong performance.

edit: and of course, best of luck with it... if you set a conservative target, you're more likely to outperform it :D (i know that's against all the ethos around here, but good for your confidence!)

good point Anna, I also did a 5K the week previous to that one in 26.30 and that gives me a time of 43.46 @ 8.47 pace so slightly better outlook :-) I guess I'm hoping to be where I was this time last year and the reality is I'm probably not... Having said that in both those 5K's I went off way too fast as per usual, there is a chance if I go off tonight at the right pace I could sustain it for a little longer. We will see, I would be disappointed with a 43+ time but I'd just have to face reality that I'm not there yet! have more work to do and that's fine

If those recent 5Ks are the M&T ones both were held in unfavourable conditions (very windy for the Lucan one and cross country terrain for the Cherryfield Park one) so they wouldn't be ideal predictors. I think the session you did on Thursday should give you a lot of confidence for tonight, and also the conditions are looking pretty good too. Best approach either way is to start conservatively, see how you are, and adjust accordingly.

That said, it has just been pointed out to me that I put my cardigan on inside out this morning, so might be best not to listen to me :o

good point Anna, I also did a 5K the week previous to that one in 26.30 and that gives me a time of 43.46 @ 8.47 pace so slightly better outlook :-) I guess I'm hoping to be where I was this time last year and the reality is I'm probably not... Having said that in both those 5K's I went off way too fast as per usual, there is a chance if I go off tonight at the right pace I could sustain it for a little longer. We will see, I would be disappointed with a 43+ time but I'd just have to face reality that I'm not there yet! have more work to do and that's fine

yeah, 26:30 is probably a better benchmark. So much of it comes down to how you feel on the day too, the course, the conditions, etc. If you know you went off too fast in the 5k's, though, all the more reason to start really conservatively tonight.

I am always being told that my target pace should be based on where I am (reality) not where I want to be... it's easy to give other people that advice of course :D

yeah, 26:30 is probably a better benchmark. So much of it comes down to how you feel on the day too, the course, the conditions, etc. If you know you went off too fast in the 5k's, though, all the more reason to start really conservatively tonight.

I am always being told that my target pace should be based on where I am (reality) not where I want to be... it's easy to give other people that advice of course :D

you're right I know, the reality is I should probably just watch this race from the sidelines :D ok so, revised REALITY target sub 45, I'll take that. BG will be on her 2nd cuppa by then :o

you're right I know, the reality is I should probably just watch this race from the sidelines :D ok so, revised REALITY target sub 45, I'll take that. BG will be on her 2nd cuppa by then :o

No way to that option!!

BG will have time to come back and cheer you on for a strong finish!!!

Where is the race tonight anyway?

• Advertisement

Dunboyne! FD is on home turf, that's got to be worth a minute or two :D

No way to that option!!

BG will have time to come back and cheer you on for a strong finish!!!

its the BHAA in Dunboyne
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That said, it has just been pointed out to me that I put my cardigan on inside out this morning, so might be best not to listen to me :o

:D:D:D:D

Edit in response to BG 'home turf' comment - the pressure! I never run those roads though.... by the way, make sure to keep in the centre of the road yourself, the sides are not flat..

.. by the way, make sure to keep in the centre of the road yourself, the sides are not flat..

Good tip, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    If those recent 5Ks are the M&T ones both were held in unfavourable conditions (very windy for the Lucan one and cross country terrain for the Cherryfield Park one) so they wouldn't be ideal predictors. I think the session you did on Thursday should give you a lot of confidence for tonight, and also the conditions are looking pretty good too. Best approach either way is to start conservatively, see how you are, and adjust accordingly.

And you may have been whacked in the head with a sliothar :)

In all seriousness, good luck ladies. The advice of starting conservative seems sound.

42.56, absolutely over the moon, PB :-) paced it reasonably well
    8.35, 8.22, 8.26, 8.40, 8.48. Will do race report tomorrow - need to eat first!
    Great catch up with meno, AMK & BG well done all.

42.56, absolutely over the moon, PB :-) paced it reasonably well
    8.35, 8.22, 8.26, 8.41. Will do race report tomorrow - need to eat first!
    Great catch up with meno, AMK & BG well done all.

Brilliant, well done! You whupped McMillan :D

Brilliant, well done! You whupped McMillan :D

MC WHO????? :-D

MC WHO????? :-D

Good on ya, girl!!!!

How are you this morning ? Hope the legs feel ok and you're still on a PB Buzz!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

That's great! What a very pleasant surprise, well done!! :D

Advertisement