Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic foreign bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,684 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.maltapark.com/item/details/8679321

Phew Joe

You wont pass another on the road, that's for sure

?x=TWF4Vz01NjMmTWF4SD00MjI=&_ts=3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

KevRossi wrote: »
    A lot of money for this 037, no idea if it's a bargain as they are so rare. This one is the first road version delivered to a customer. It's been newly restored. €550,000 and its yours.

The dealer has some seriously interesting stock. The Abarth 1000 and the Fiat 1400 Cabriolet are fabulous. Dealers site is here: https://www.silvauto.it/auto/?condition=supercar

https://www.silvauto.it/auto/lancia-037-rally-stradale-certificata-lancia-classiche-1984/

1-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

That's some inventory !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

https://www.maltapark.com/item/details/8679321

Phew Joe

You wont pass another on the road, that's for sure

I wonder how difficult is it to get a car from malta to Ireland :confused:

Peter T wrote: »
    I wonder how difficult is it to get a car from malta to Ireland :confused:

Few hundred, maybe 600-750 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Fly there, spend a couple of nights there and drive back in a petrol car that uses 10l/100km will cost around €1200. (Pre-COVID prices)

I did the calculations a while ago, think I put them up here or on another forum.

This includes;
    2 nights in a hotel in Malta, mid price, but decent hotel.
    motorway tolls via Italy-Aut-Ger-Lux-Bel (price is cheaper than Italy-France, or Italy-CH-France and only 200km longer)
    4 ferries
    petrol for 3,400 km
    one night accomodation on the road in F1 style hotel

If you don't fancy a roadtrip then it seems you can ship them to the UK for £600 or thereabouts. But part of the fun would be the drive back.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,822 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Have you the calculations for that somewhere handy still, KevRossi?

And shipping to the UK is no good, it would double the price of the car by the time it gets here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Just the type of holiday the missus would like. Across Europe in a 80's sh!tbox with questionable reliability and no aircon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I am after a 300CE, I saw that one looks nice but I'm not a fan of dark interior. Although next similar one is 2k more. Too much abiguity about Brexit import costs and kicking myself I didn't get one last year.

unkel wrote: »
    Have you the calculations for that somewhere handy still, KevRossi?

And shipping to the UK is no good, it would double the price of the car by the time it gets here :pac:

Shipping to the UK should be no issue once you can show you are continuing with the car. No idea what the new port fees are like though. And you've return flights from Malta, flight and train in the UK to factor in as well.

When you consider the drive back involves Etna, Amalfi Coast, Alps, Switzerland and much more, then a road trip is a bit of a no-brainer.

Calculations are below, other option if you have time is to come via Cherbourg. I can PM it if needed.
    Doesn't include sundries like eating out every day, or taking it a bit slower on the way back.

541912.PNG

Malta-Dublin 2020.PNG

Three routes:

I-F: Sicily-Aosta-Mont Blanc-Calais

I-CH-F: Sicily-Lugano-Basel-Nancy-Calais

I-A-D-B-F: Sicily-Brenner-Cologne-Calais

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Peter T wrote: »
    Just the type of holiday the missus would like. Across Europe in a 80's sh!tbox with questionable reliability and no aircon :pac:

MISSUS !!? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Fly there, spend a couple of nights there and drive back in a petrol car that uses 10l/100km will cost around €1200. (Pre-COVID prices)

I did the calculations a while ago, think I put them up here or on another forum.

This includes;
    2 nights in a hotel in Malta, mid price, but decent hotel.
    motorway tolls via Italy-Aut-Ger-Lux-Bel (price is cheaper than Italy-France, or Italy-CH-France and only 200km longer)
    4 ferries
    petrol for 3,400 km
    one night accomodation on the road in F1 style hotel

If you don't fancy a roadtrip then it seems you can ship them to the UK for £600 or thereabouts. But part of the fun would be the drive back.

I did a portion of that route ( Naples to Cherbourg or LeHavre ) many many times as a kid. Its a long old trek for 1 nights stop I think.

The autostrada from Florence to Bologna is worth the trip alone. ( truly Gods racetrack as Clarkson calls it )
    When you see the engineering to build it vs the bit of ploughing and some tarmac we do here its just incredible.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I did a portion of that route ( Naples to Cherbourg or LeHavre ) many many times as a kid. Its a long old trek for 1 nights stop I think.

The autostrada from Florence to Bologna is worth the trip alone. ( truly Gods racetrack as Clarkson calls it )
    When you see the engineering to build it vs the bit of ploughing and some tarmac we do here its just incredible.

I was thinking early ferry to Sicily and by night you'd be in the Florence area.
    Next day you'd get to Calais. Late ferry, kip on the boat and a few naps would get you to Holyhead for the morning ferry.

But yeah, easier on the body to spend the extra on a second hotel night, or better still spend a few days extra on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I was thinking early ferry to Sicily and by night you'd be in the Florence area.
    Next day you'd get to Calais. Late ferry, kip on the boat and a few naps would get you to Holyhead for the morning ferry.

But yeah, easier on the body to spend the extra on a second hotel night, or better still spend a few days extra on the road.

not to mention you'd pass an awful lot of cool crap and history right by

I am thinking, marenello, Pagani factory tour, Imola ( bit of a detour ) as well as other (less important) bits of course :)

I've driven cars down to Africa, but never back up. Might be an option soon. Very comfy bus for the road back. Spares and repairs not an issue en route.

Peugeot 505, 1988, A/C. €1200.
    8,000 km away in Benin City, Nigeria

https://jiji.ng/oredo/cars/peugeot-505-1988-gray-zw3GNE47MftTzqQprWGme3m0.html?lid=FvVCk7QR6yFefqdi&cur_pos=1&pos=1&ads_count=46&ads_per_page=12&page=3

59177947_car-image-14_1040x780.webp

Or for €1750 you get this Nigerian built 504 Break. Engine needs to be dusted. Only 7,300 km away. Oddly enough, it doesn't look like it was used as a bush taxi.

https://jiji.ng/zaria/cars/peugeot-504-1990-gray-8jnk3EZDgxEKcBfQqa2jPRXh.html?lid=FvVCk7QR6yFefqdi&cur_pos=6&pos=6&ads_count=46&ads_per_page=18&page=1

57308495_img-20201201-143925_1500x843.webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Nigeria ? :D:D:D:D:D Imagine the fun (difficulty) exporting that or any car from any African country ? Having been involved in a Dublin to Sth Africa overland trip you'd spend half your life trying to bribe border officials and customs to complete paperwork.

Nigeria ? :D:D:D:D:D Imagine the fun (difficulty) exporting that or any car from any African country ? Having been involved in a Dublin to Sth Africa overland trip you'd spend half your life trying to bribe border officials and customs to complete paperwork.

No bother at all once it's in your name. Seems the process in Nigeria takes a week, but I've no idea if you need residency there, or just a temporary address like a hotel. In Nigeria the owner takes the plates, new owner gets a new number.

I've owned cars in a few different African countries and some are more strict with registering than others. Get a 'Brown Card' insurance and it covers you for West Africa and some other countries. After that, you can always buy it at the border (Morocco, Algeria, Libya).

Having African plates makes things a lot easier than having European plates and messing around with a Carnet de Passage. With an African car you get your 'passavant' at the border, usually costing from €2-10 per country and that's it. Yeah, you pay your 'white man tax' or spend a while haggling, but that's the way it runs down there.

Once I knew it could be registered in my name with no issues, I'd have no problem driving it back here. I'd avoid Switzerland, Austria and Germany, but that's about it.

This is very nice, even though it's a diesel. Hubcaps are original, can't see any damage, and it still has plastic wrapped door cards. Not my thing, but I appreciate how it was looked after. Fair price too. €2,600

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/257893982413322/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=undefined

148597674_5165097166863907_2719849290120038131_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=G5sL5VfqeCYAX9Mde3n&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=bfa0e39371a94d80907c7c90f8b3db54&oe=604C9FB7

148954166_5165097590197198_3988726997151001933_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=E5ntXHbdwEcAX-yol9c&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=cbf95ac67b90f92337b091892c3909bc&oe=6049B7EC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭w124man

My late wife had one of those. Bought it new in 1989, diesel engine by Peugeot and was as rough as an old boot but incredibly economical. Never gave any problems with it. Not as good as a Jetta and streets ahead of a Kadett. She considered a Corolla at the time but didnt like any of the colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

w124man wrote: »
    My late wife had one of those. Bought it new in 1989, diesel engine by Peugeot and was as rough as an old boot but incredibly economical. Never gave any problems with it. Not as good as a Jetta and streets ahead of a Kadett. She considered a Corolla at the time but didnt like any of the colours!

I thought they had a Deutz engine in them? A great engine. The camshaft was gear driven, iirc, and the injector pump was belt, so if it did snap, all you did was change it, time it, and you're away again. Replaced with the Endura engine after that. I'm open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭w124man

I thought they had a Deutz engine in them? A great engine. The camshaft was gear driven, iirc, and the injector pump was belt, so if it did snap, all you did was change it, time it, and you're away again. Replaced with the Endura engine after that. I'm open to correction though.

I honestly don't know. It was a 1.8 which was made by Ford but to a Peugeot design or so I was told at the time. It was a tough yoke as she battered it around the country without a problem.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1310978

14431442.jpg

Had a lot of work done, must be value considering.

Alfa 2.0 GTV Spyder. In Armagh. £1,900. TS engine. GB plate. SORN'd. MoT ran out in 2016, looks clean, so would be good to know what it needs. Getting rare and pricey, there used to be a fair few of these around, but they're gone rare now.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-gtv-spider/27308646

YjM2NzRlYzU3MTYxNTU5YWNjNjMyYmVkODliYjI5NzhKiHBu9gyew2-qQAE3wpeQaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzE4OTIyMTl8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

NTgzOTEyNmZjYzg2NzEzZTlhZWFiMzU0OTMxN2IxYzWE1c2LyRA3Drz2o7G-c_KGaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzE4OTIyMjd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

That bunch of keys reminds me of the 80's when cars ware broken .you ended up with different keys .. not good for ignition .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,822 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Great cars, but I'd go for a Busso engined one. Anyway, sold already. Hope for the new owner that is was one with a manual roof mechanism :p

Advertisement