Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic foreign bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

KevRossi wrote: »
    Alfa 164 QV, 01/1991, tested to 05/22, Czech plate, Austrian import so no issues with VAT. €200 VRT and away you go. Video is worth a watch, driven the way it should be. It's not a Q4, they came out in 1993, I had one around 1997 and they're a fabulous car. Modified exhaust helps too. €10,900

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=311928521&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=900&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=qv&makeModelVariant1.modelId=11&pageNumber=1&scopeId=C&sfmr=false&fnai=next&searchId=c2b9d66d-76e8-c2bc-6994-69bd9c567a66

$_20.jpg

$_20.jpg

$_20.jpg

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but 2 mins in on the video, the car is idling at 2500rpm... what's the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Very cool Alfa, but with 228,000km on it, I would say you would have to be a glutton for punishment to be considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

PauloMN wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a dumb question, but 2 mins in on the video, the car is idling at 2500rpm... what's the story there?

Owner says in the youtube comments that it's probably a contact on the camshaft sensor. Others have pointed out it's running hot, at times over 100 C. Engine could be a basket case. Gorgeous car all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭w124man

Every petrolhead has to have an Alfa. Its the law!! I had an Alfasud in 1978 and while it rusted in front of my eyes, I drove some of the best miles ever in it!

I would love this car, even if its just to look at!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

11wingnut wrote: »
    31st dec 91

J651 YSC

1st August 1991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Alfa 164 QV, 01/1991, tested to 05/22, Czech plate, Austrian import so no issues with VAT. €200 VRT and away you go. Video is worth a watch, driven the way it should be. It's not a Q4, they came out in 1993, I had one around 1997 and they're a fabulous car. Modified exhaust helps too. €10,900

What a sound - OMG, I want something that sounds as glorious as that :cool:
    not wild about the kit or wheels if I am honest I( I know its OEM )
    driven the way it should be.

LOL - you should post this in the Motors forum and see what all the car enthusiasts over there think of it - you'll be burned at the stake !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Owner says in the youtube comments that it's probably a contact on the camshaft sensor. Others have pointed out it's running hot, at times over 100 C. Engine could be a basket case. Gorgeous car all the same.

It is, sounds lovely when it's driving, and looks in great condition.

Sounds a bit :eek: at idle though! I always wonder why someone wouldn't fix something like that when selling a car. Like those ads that say stuff like "No NCT but would fly it". :)

Should point out the video is from December 2019. Seller also offers to send more pics, etc. Should be easy to set up a remote test drive or walk around via Zoom.

As cars go, it's a sexy little thing all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,812 ✭✭✭✭unkel

RobAMerc wrote: »
    What a sound - OMG, I want something that sounds as glorious as that :cool:

All the Bussos sound like that :)

How about an Alfa GTV Tipo 916? Good driver too, even though they are FWD. Appreciating modern classic

Or cheap - Alfa 156 2.5, but not yet on classic motor tax either

unkel wrote: »
    All the Bussos sound like that :)

How about an Alfa GTV Tipo 916? Good driver too, even though they are FWD. Appreciating modern classic

Yes but have you looked at the values of them recently ? Good ones are shooting up already - its a pity they never made a spider with the V6, although I believe the 2.0 is a better handling car ( not that I would care I think )

My friend has a 2.0 V6 turbo which is bound to get super rare - never actually clapped eyes in it, I wonder if it sounds as sweet.

• Advertisement

Yes but have you looked at the values of them recently ? Good ones are shooting up already - its a pity they never made a spider with the V6

There's the GTV spider. They can be quite reasonable still. Spent some quality time driving my best mate's red one over Italian mountains :D

He sold that one, but his favourite is a 24V fixed roof silver GTV in mint condition that he has in long term storage

I don't know a lot about the 2l Busso turbo except that they were mainly made for tax compliance in Italy. Given the choice, I would go for a 3l N/A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It has a really excellent MOT history too. That would be a fantastic buy. You could always pick up leather seats for it later.

Thats an unusual spec. Velour seats was an unusual choice but this car has self leveling suspension and a hydraulic limited slip diff as well. Great engine.

It has a really excellent MOT history too. That would be a fantastic buy. You could always pick up leather seats for it later.

I'd take that interior over leather any day of the week. Not to everyone's taste, but they were always better than leather IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

As would I, but I know a few who insist on leather.

Yep, same here. Leather is overrated. And unless you have a very modern car with heated and cooled ventilated seats (who has those?) they're either too cold or too hot a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'd take that interior over leather any day of the week. Not to everyone's taste, but they were always better than leather IMO.
    As would I, but I know a few who insist on leather.
    Yep, same here. Leather is overrated. And unless you have a very modern car with heated and cooled ventilated seats (who has those?) they're either too cold or too hot a lot of the time.

Count me onboard with this. I think that interior is glorious.

I would expect €450 for a spotless cloth W124 saloon interior. Leather interiors command the same money but they are never spotless!

I just had another look. Oof.

* steps away *

• Advertisement

I believe the 24v engine is a little more troublesome than the 12v - but thats lovely. I'm a huge fan of these

Reg date of 12 March 1992 so conceivably the "Date of Manufacture" was somewhere well into 1991, so you wouldn't have to wait that long to get it here on the cheap VRT.

Reg date of 12 March 1992 so conceivably the "Date of Manufacture" was somewhere well into 1991, so you wouldn't have to wait that long to get it here on the cheap VRT.

I'm fairly sure its the initial reg date that's taken by VRT no ?

I'm fairly sure its the initial reg date that's taken by VRT no ?

I literally just brainfarted and assumed they would be on the same basis as how you calculate the 30 year for chape tax.

Still though, hiding that for 14 months shouldn't be hard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

w124man wrote: »
    Every petrolhead has to have an Alfa. Its the law!! I had an Alfasud in 1978 and while it rusted in front of my eyes, I drove some of the best miles ever in it!

I would love this car, even if its just to look at!

My first car was an alfasud 784 NPI Those were the days. I had it 4 months and 4444 miles in it. Wish I still had it in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

w124man wrote: »
    Thats an unusual spec. Velour seats was an unusual choice but this car has self leveling suspension and a hydraulic limited slip diff as well. Great engine.

Thanks for highlighted the extra spec. Have been lurking for a while and likely will get a 300 CE so anything I can glean would help. How can you tell it has self levelling and hydraulic slip diff. I didn't see it in the add so am guessing dash buttons/lights?

All the W124 estates had self levelling suspension, didn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Yes, all the Estate models had Rear SLS as standard. Other models like the 4 door - as option (rare, obviously), except some special edition models like the 500E, which AFAIK had it as standard also.

• Advertisement

Was he not referring to the 300CE when he mentioned that? I think some people have access to the car spec via the car reg plate. You can do it with some cars on www.parkers.co.uk

Advertisement