Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids movies/stories/programmes that scared the bejesus out of you as a child

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Saralee4 wrote: »
    really? I think all the heroes where Prince charming with the exception of Hansel and Gretal where they both outsmart the witch but even then when they go back home to their parents, it is the father who was more sympathetic towards the children and the mother wanted originally to get rid of them.

The women were always the strong characters, the men were incidental, just a means to an end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

It wasn't the original 1939 black and white film was it?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_Iron_Mask_(1939_film)

I can remember that being on a few Saturday mornings alright during my childhood, and there was the black and white Tarzan films, which seemed to put people on edge when he was being chased by the natives with the spears, and then the elephants would come running. I think knowing the animals were real as opposed to CGI nowadays added that element of danger to the film that children nowadays just don't experience as it's all done on computers.

I think the films that left me with 'traumatised' were the original Planet of the Apes movies with Charlton Heston. I didn't like the look of the monkeys in Dublin Zoo after that, wondering were they all going to escape and what if they did take over the world and wipe out the human race!

I wasn't afraid of the Apes though because there were some good ones.

I was freaked out by him coming across the Statue of Liberty in the end (oh and when they messed with the other guys brain).

"Dr. Zira: What will he find out there, doctor?
    Dr. Zaius: His destiny. "

At one stage on a Sunday morning at about 9am they had the Planet of the Apes tv series. I was only about 9 or 10 but I loved it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

FTA69 wrote: »
    Riminey Riddle. Utterly terrifying.

Came here to post this. So creepy but yet I'd like to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

The witches movie.

Arachnophobia..

Got over my fear of witches in time. Not spiders though.

Wang King wrote: »
    The women were always the strong characters, the men were incidental, just a means to an end

Most of them ended up in a deep sleep dreaming until prince charming came to get them.

They all relied heavily on their beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

highly1111 wrote: »

Arachnophobia..
    I went through a stage after watching that checking everywere before bed!

Watership down I hated that film and I still wouldnt watch it.

The witches near the end when they turn into mice :(

My Daughter now will not watch The princess and the frog over the voodoo woman gives her nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Him from Powerpuff girls. Creepiest thing ever no wonder I was terrified of it.

Tunnel scene in original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Used to have to look away.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭animum

recently, I got a beautiful picture of my son, standing infront of a huge waterfall, made into a canvas to hang in my hallway.

the focus is the waterfall, but my son stands at the base...I thought a great idea until I got shivers down my spine from 'the witches'..
    when she sent children into the pictures...freaked me out years later. I don't spend too long looking at the picture in my hall, it freaks me out haha..

my son has read the book and then watched the film of the witches, says there are 2 witches in school now, pointy shoes, and gloves...I loved that book..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Rumple Fugly

The whirlagig witch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Does anyone here remember "The day of the Triffids" mini-series that I think used be on BBC at the time?

Just remembering that now, the plants crawling towards the door of the house, loosened me up a bit alright :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Them chuckie movies, the ones with the evil doll? Wouldn't say scared the bejesus out of me but, well, I no longer slept with dolls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

The whirlagig witch...

I thought she was a ride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This creeped me out no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

The whirlagig witch...
    She was in that public safety ad about the danger of standing too close to the fire if you're wearing a synthetic nightie; very stern woman all together.

She was in that public safety ad about the danger of standing too close to the fire if you're wearing a synthetic nightie; very stern woman all together.

That reminds me actually of a very recent advertising campaign that caused a few raised eyebrows -

http://www.dailyedge.ie/bord-gais-carbon-monoxide-canary-ad-1768126-Nov2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

heldel00 wrote: »
    Was that the video where the ball went over the gate and your man hopped over to get it, his buddy shouted "no" and they threw in a rock to show him it wasn't solid ground?

I am not sure to be honest!!

I think the scenario was that he was playing hide and seek and was running near the pit, tripped and fell in. All I remember was his little hand just sinking into the slurry. The thought of it again makes me shudder.

Christ even watching this public safety advert now sent a shiver up my spine -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Clowns.

I know it's a cliché but my mother, with the best of intentions, bought a set of three clown pictures for us in the late 70s/early 80s (along the lines of those paintings of the sad-eyed children) - they just freaked us out; really creepy looking.
    This was long before knowing anything about Pennywise... :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭johnohanlon

That scene in "The Witches" when your boy was up on the tree and the witch was offering him chocolate.

• Advertisement

Clowns.

I know it's a cliché but my mother, with the best of intentions, bought a set of three clown pictures for us in the late 70s/early 80s (along the lines of those paintings of the sad-eyed children) - they just freaked us out; really creepy looking.
    This was long before knowing anything about Pennywise... :eek:

Omg that clown gives me the creeps I didnt sleep for days after watching that!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Absolutely hated watching The Teletubbies episodes featuring the bear, when my children were small. We'd all sit and watch and when it'd come on, we'd quickly change the channel.
    Weird and sinister.

Another one for me was my mother used to listen to Jeff Wayne War of the World's on record.

I used to go through the case and the pictures along with the story and music were really scary.

I was very disappointed with the tom cruise movie version though.

The never ending story even though I loved the film I think someone posted it early on hated that thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Jim'll Fix It.........too soon? ;):rolleyes::D

On a more serious note, two old movies that scared the bejayzus out of me were "Village of The Damned" and "Children of the Damned". RTE 2 used to show horrors late at night on Saturdays and I saw these before I was even 10 which shouldn't have happened! Ah liberal parenting......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Sounds bad I know but one of the "Ernest" films was called "Ernest Scared Stupid" In this film Ernest awakens a troll that goes around and turns kids into action figure-sized wooden ornaments and places them in his tree. The statuettes act as an energy supply to his army of trolls growing in the tree.

This film was on Sky which my Nan had and it was always on Halloween but I never had the opportunity to see it in full as we were just visiting. It scared me thinking those kids never made it out of that tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My son loves in the night garden but the Pontipines freak me out

Grotbags used to frighten me when I was a child

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Umekichi wrote: »
    Two things stand out to me from when I was a little kid:

The first was The animals of Farthing wood, a few scenes from the series were scary but none were as scary as the scene with the shrike, where he impaled day old baby mice on thorns(Starts from 3:17):

Jesus, the Animals of Farthing Wood was pretty grim. I've never seen a cartoon intended for kids with so much death in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Unsolved Mysteries, theme tune!

Man if they finished with a ghost story, you'd be up the stairs like Usain Bolt with eerie chords playing in the background still! Didn't feel safe until I had the Mega Drive in my room booted up and Road Rash playing!

Advertisement