Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids movies/stories/programmes that scared the bejesus out of you as a child

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Return to Oz, that **** was terrifying! Legend, Willow, The Dark Crystal, all those wonderful 80's movies that seemed to exist just to scare the **** out of young kids.

The Last Unicorn was pretty scary too,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Oh yeah 'V' and the Halloween movie where Oirish feckers were trying to take over the world with evil kids' masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Who Framed Roger Rabbit when Judge Doom was slowly crushed by the steam roller, stood up all flat, blew himself back up, and then did this:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

'Candle Cove'. Remember the TV show that kids could see but adults couldn't, even if they were in the room at the same time? The last episode where the girl starts screaming and the puppet just went mental is on YouTube somewhere. Not surprised they whipped it off the air after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Didn't scare the bejesus out of me but I really hated that red headed little f**ker BOSCO...

And I never trusted that 40 Coats for Wonderly Wagon ,there was just something not right about him......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The bank managers song in Mary Poppins and I also always being really freaked out by 'I love to laugh'. There's somthing very maniacal about laughing while floating around on the ceiling.

Interestingly enough my cousin who's about 5 is at the stage where she's watching all the Disney movies and I was shocked (and appalled) to discover that her parents fat-forward through the 'scary bits'!! Seriously, it's a kids' film!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

I remember seeing The Fisher King when I was younger and it freaked me out for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

My husband couldn't believe I had never seen Ghostbusters, so put it on for me and the 4 year old.

The 4 year old was a bit freaked out after, couldn't believe he thought it was appropriate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Not a kids show,

but remembering watching that nuclear disaster movie 'Threads'

That would give you crazy dreams of the apocalypse.

• Advertisement

If we're doing non-kids stuff as well I remember my dad showing me Fargo when I was pretty young. I still have nightmares about that woodchipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The Ice Queen from the Moomins scared the living daylights out of me when I was little!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

The music from 'Children Of The Stones' was the most terrifying thing I've ever heard, I watched it lately on YouTube and even now it still scares me.

The Ice Queen from the Moomins scared the living daylights out of me when I was little!

****, that reminds me of the Ice Queen in the BBC adaptation of The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A 1970's TV series Children of the stones. Made for kids, but well freaky and I doubt it would be aimed at kids today. Some of the British public information films aimed at kids. Like this one. "Lonely water"

Well freaky. Donald Pleasance doing the voiceover? And the figure of death himself. Da fuq? *shudder* There was one on the danger of poisons in sheds that was well bloody scary too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There was something unwholesome about a caged carnivorous cabbage on Pat's Chat (or was it Pat's Hat?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

There was something unwholesome about a caged carnivorous cabbage on Pat's Chat (or was it Pat's Hat?)

I hated Alice in Wonderland. Found the whole thing scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

A Canadian show in the mid-late 90s-Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Absolutely terrified me as a lot of the situations were creepily mundane-objects-masks, cameras that turned out to be evil. It took me 10 years before I ever wore a mask after one of those episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Roald Dahl's The Witches. The bit in the conference room where they turn into witches, always scared the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

didn't really scare me as such but The Labyrinth was a very dark movie. I haven't read the book. The relationship between 15/16 year old Sarah (Jennifer Connolly) and a much older Jareth (David Bowie) was icky. They kind of suggest that he had romantic interest in her and it was kind of like a controlling abusive relationship!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ifritzero

Absolutely terrified me as a lot of the situations were creepily mundane-objects-masks, cameras that turned out to be evil. It took me 10 years before I ever wore a mask after one of those episodes.

A Canadian show in the mid-late 90s-Are You Afraid of the Dark?
    I think that's goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Demon Headmaster, guy was **** scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

A show called Fox Tales scared me to bits when I was 7 or 8. I wonder why it only ran for one series though? Oh yeah, now I remember:

Dark & shadowy...check.
    Sinister start & end...check.
    Creepy voice overs...check.
    Terrifying puppets...check.

Overall undercurrent to an 8 year old...kill it...kill it with fire before it gets you!!!

.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6H2FYmLFqv_H6oV-V9yqVHDAAUYaapiw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

RTE had a childrens tv series back in the 80s called The Nargun and the Stars. Based on Aboriginal folklore. There was a water dwelling creature called the Potkoorook in it who was weird. Ugly as fook and could spit water. I was convinced every night he crawled out from under the bed and was lurking under the shelf for my bedside lamp. Would be shaking in the bed.
    Would love to see it again.
    V was fairly frightening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

RTE had a childrens tv series back in the 80s called The Nargun and the Stars. Based on Aboriginal folklore. There was a water dwelling creature called the Potkoorook in it who was weird. Ugly as fook and could spit water. I was convinced every night he crawled out from under the bed and was lurking under the shelf for my bedside lamp. Would be shaking in the bed.
    Would love to see it again.
    V was fairly frightening too.

Was trying to think of that one. Never knew what the show was called before. The little cave creature was horrifying and I seem to remember rocks moving around by themselves...nightmarish stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I was always scared by how easily Harry got away with killing his teacher in the first Harry Potter movie.

He has magic powers and a taste for murder, it'll never end well.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Kim Lardassian

brevity wrote: »
    I remember seeing The Fisher King when I was younger and it freaked me out for some reason...

Me too - Brilliant movie but it freaked me right out. I remember after a really heavy weekend having a sort of sleep paralysis type thing going on where one of the horsemen from the fisher king came into my room and started circling my bed. I Flipped!!!

Wizbit scared the bejaysus out of me, as did Paul Daniels and his creepy wife Debbie.

Wasn't Worzel Gummidge's biggest fan and Aunt Sally was hardly a barrel of laughs either!

The stouts in Who framed Roger Rabbit gave me re-occurring nightmares too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

There are absolutely loads of creepy things that you don't often see now a days, as a child...

But of recent note, that film Coraline is freaky as hell for a kid's film!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 14 Kim Lardassian

Wibbs wrote: »
    A 1970's TV series Children of the stones. Made for kids, but well freaky and I doubt it would be aimed at kids today. Some of the British public information films aimed at kids. Like this one. "Lonely water"

Well freaky. Donald Pleasance doing the voiceover? And the figure of death himself. Da fuq? *shudder* There was one on the danger of poisons in sheds that was well bloody scary too.

Just watched the clip at work... yikes.. his voice is so creepy. There's a horrible undercurrent of benevolence to the 'lesson' he's trying to convey. Show off's should be punished and fools should die! That is seriously creepy!

Advertisement