Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect Trilogy remastered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm tempted to skip 1 even though I haven't played it before. Did a few missions last night involving the Mako, and a bit more gunplay.... I'm guessing the gameplay felt outdated even when the game was first released. Christ, the Mako sections feel like I'm playing the PS1, the gunplay and controls are clunky, and the inventory/menus are atrocious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's still a lot of fun to be had roleplaying it. Just power through the jank.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

My first time playing ME1 (played ME2 briefly back in the day when I was a more casual player).

It's phenomenal. I'm not bogged down by any jankiness at all. I think I'm just too immersed in the atmosphere of this game. We were seriously lacking AAA space-RPG's this whole last console generation.

I'm a fan of Andromeda but because I'm a huge fan of the setting. Also, I didn't have an attachment to the original trilogy. I had no expectations and I heard it was the start of a new trilogy. I also played it after all the fixes and paid about €15 for it. So for me, it was a steal, especially as no other games were filling that void.

But, having played about 5 hours of ME1, the way the story and world is set up, I can see why people prefer the writing over Andromeda. The actual storytelling, the setup of the main plot, is just so good in ME1, that I can see the glaring downgrade in Andromeda. That's not going to stop me from enjoying Andromeda. Still haven't finished it.

I'm going to play through this trilogy and I already think ME is going to be one of my favorite series ever. I hope they make a sequel to Andromeda. I like that if they're going out to that galaxy. Just make it as good as the original trilogy. If a sequel is amazing, then they can almost be forgiven for the mistakes of Andromeda. I'd hate for it all to be abandoned because of the backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm about to finish ME1, only missing the AI hacking trophy, never used Tali.

I'm only missing the Neural Shock achievement from 1. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of getting it by the time I realised using your teammates powers counted towards it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Penn wrote: »
    I'm tempted to skip 1 even though I haven't played it before. Did a few missions last night involving the Mako, and a bit more gunplay.... I'm guessing the gameplay felt outdated even when the game was first released. Christ, the Mako sections feel like I'm playing the PS1, the gunplay and controls are clunky, and the inventory/menus are atrocious.

Don’t skip it, it’s a great game. If you ignore the side missions you only have to use the mako 3 or 4 times.
    I'm only missing the Neural Shock achievement from 1. Unfortunately I didn't have the option of getting it by the time I realised using your teammates powers counted towards it...

You can cast that one over and over on the mako and get it that way if you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Markitron wrote: »
    I'm about to finish ME1, only missing the AI hacking trophy, never used Tali.

Is it possible to just spam it over and over on the mako or do you need actually robot targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, if you haven't already cleared ME 1, I'd definitely recommend to play through it, the world building is just excellent and the way things tie into 2 and 3 is just class. Love the world they've built, easily my favourite sci-fi universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Got round to starting this today.

Bout an hour in had to go get the FOV mod for PC,at 90 fov now. Its just to jarring givin how close monitor is when on the PC. Much much better now.

It's clunky alright but I'll just push on through that.

Went with soldier,wasnt really sure but thought I like using guns in these games so might aswell.

I'm thinking of restarting ME 2 and picking Soldier. I went with Vanguard as i usually do but that favours shotgun close combat which i don't fancy anymore. As boring as soldier seems compared to others, I'm mostly shooty shooty in combat and the fact that 2 has shortcut buttons for squad skills means i have biotics on command anyway. Also AR's are great in this, especially the geth one you can unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭McFly85

Never played this before, a few hours into ME1 and I’m enjoying it. The janky shooting took some getting used to(especially after coming from the awesome returnal shooting) but after levelling up a bit it’s enjoyable, if rote.

Its kind of like space Witcher, combat that’s nothing special, “magic”, that I end up using my favourite all the time, a ton of equipment I’ll never use, but phenomenal world building, I enjoy just doing the missions and exploring to get lost in it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The eyeballs in ME1 are freaking me out. Everyone looks like their on ketamine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The eyeballs in ME1 are freaking me out. Everyone looks like their on ketamine.

If you had to deal with those neverending elevators on an hourly basis, you’d be in ketamine too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Thinking I’m after f*cking up my romance options. Was going for Ashley but when I was given the option to have a drink I questioned her about her parents and now she won’t converse anymore beyond the usual options. Liara was trying it with me till I told her I was interested in Ashley. I’m just coming onto the Ilos mission so I take it it’s too far gone for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Thinking I’m after f*cking up my romance options. Was going for Ashley but when I was given the option to have a drink I questioned her about her parents and now she won’t converse anymore beyond the usual options. Liara was trying it with me till I told her I was interested in Ashley. I’m just coming onto the Ilos mission so I take it it’s too far gone for me.

Consider it a blessing, Ashley is a gowl!

Goddamn ME 2 is class. Annoying how the weapons don't have stats, either test them in the field or Google to see what's best.

J. Marston wrote: »

I chose Liara but when she came into my room before Ilos and put on the spice girls when 2 become 1, i bottled it and told her to feck off. And only because i didn't want any awkwardness with Tali in 2 and 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

ItsHoggie wrote: »

Could be worse, Liara started coming on to me and I thought nope I will stay free for Jack later. And about 10 seconds after turning her down remembered Jack isn't in ME1 :(

By far the best option in ME1 tho :pac:

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Could be worse, Liara started coming on to me and I thought nope I will stay free for Jack later. And about 10 seconds after turning her down remembered Jack isn't in ME1 :(

Yeah, Jack doesn’t come in until ME2. But then again, there’s no other competition in ME2 when it comes to Miranda.

Do squadmate's abilities count towards trophies? Not usually bothered about trophies but looking at the list the platinum seems doable if they do count.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I chose Liara but when she came into my room before Ilos and put on the spice girls when 2 become 1, i bottled it and told her to feck off. And only because i didn't want any awkwardness with Tali in 2 and 3 :)

This thread is full of Tali propaganda, I don’t get it :pac:

Do squadmate's abilities count towards trophies? Not usually bothered about trophies but looking at the list the platinum seems doable if they do count.

Yeah, they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Goddamn ME 2 is class. Annoying how the weapons don't have stats, either test them in the field or Google to see what's best.

This, jesus christ this.

I have no idea whats better so i just have to test them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Vicxas wrote: »
    This, jesus christ this.

I have no idea whats better so i just have to test them all.

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-mass-effect-2-weapons-guns/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For ME2, the Mattock is the best AR on PC, because it fires as fast as you can click. You can get absurd dps with it. It's particularly effective doing the bullet time skill the Soldier has, because it slows down time, but you can still fire as quickly. The Vindicator is good too though.

You get a "super" weapon in one mission depending on your class - Sniper, AR or Shotgun. Soldier can choose one of the 3, Vanguard gets Shotgun, Infiltrator gets Sniper, and the mixed classes unlock another weapon type (although that might have changed in the Legendary Edition, with them unlocking all weapon types in ME1).

I wouldn't bother with the Claymore shotgun. The DLC Geth and Eviscerator are better (more shots, more range, the Geth can charge up for extra damage). The Widow hits like a bus, but it's a tossup whether it's actually better than the Viper, because you can overkill with the Widow and missed shots are relatively costly, whereas the Viper deals more consistent damage. I never really used the Incisor. The Viper is an excellent squad weapon. Having two of Garrus, Zaeed, Thane and Legion with them deals massive consistent damage because they basically never miss.

The Revenant is probably the most fun weapon in the game and it's very good. It probably technically isn't as good as the Mattock, but I usually pick it as a Soldier.

The Tempest SMG is incredible in ME2 (my poor baby gets mangled in ME3). I tend to use it on abiltiy-focused characters because it's incredibly good at stripping shields, especially on tougher enemies like Geth Primes and YMIR mechs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Always loved the Mattock in 2, and is my primary weapon for pretty much the whole game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

OK so played for a good few hours yesterday,by far the most frustrating thing in ME1 is the absolute snails pace that your forced to move around at on foot. Awful. Reminds me of Anthem.

Absolutely pathetic stamina bar,I've started running everywhere with guns out for that small speed boost and seeing the bar allows you to manage it better.

In saying that we knew this was a lick of paint not a remake so I knew there would be things like this. Also I had to laugh after going into say my third building on a planet,their all the same just with the internals mixed up:P

For me it's not a game breaker,just takes a bit of shine off something I'm enjoying so far otherwise.

I've left the citadel,found someone in a set of systems I was told to search for and also had a run in with an asteroid. Now started the next mission to further my Intel on the main big bad.

Loot is a bit of a mystery,some VI guns are barely better than the II versions so not sure. Not really had a damage issue so far though,mostly using sniper and things seem to go down OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,327 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Actually there's a question I have about guns in ME1; the cooldown rating for guns, are you trying to get a higher or smaller number? Like is the number the amount of seconds of sustained fire before cooldown is required, or the seconds it'll be on cooldown? Because the colour of the bar seems to go orange/red when the number is higher.

Actually there's a question I have about guns in ME1; the cooldown rating for guns, are you trying to get a higher or smaller number? Like is the number the amount of seconds of sustained fire before cooldown is required, or the seconds it'll be on cooldown? Because the colour of the bar seems to go orange/red when the number is higher.

I've finished the game once and 75% through this run and I still don't know the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Whichever one is greener on the comparison screen, I can't remember which but its easy to tell when you bring that up.

Advertisement