Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k: Early Difficulties

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Nice one ColeTrain. I did week 7 day 1 myself on the treadmill. Tough going but I was delighted afterwards. 7 weeks ago there was no way I thought I would have been able to do this.

Fair play Dmc, it's taken me longer than 7 weeks but I can feel the progress now.

Not long to go now before we're hitting the 5k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

did a Couch to 5k just over 2 years ago. Struggled with hydration at first and now tend to drink more water generally.

Interesting to see the comments about being ravenous after some runs - still the case for me.

One of the ladies in my group was about the same pace as myself so we helped each other around the various courses; even now find it easier at times to run with a buddy.

Great to see so many giving running a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Finished week 8 day 3 on Friday. So today I ran 5K for the first time!!!

I have been doing all my running on a treadmill. When I first started C25K I was doing the walking part at 5.5kph and the running at 10.5kph. This was OK up until week three but I couldn't get past that point. I repeated week three three times but could not manage to get to week 4 day 1. At that point I tried dropping the running speed down to 9kph. From there on out I had no problems and have now made it all the way through to the end. In hindsight I realise it was about building up stamina and controlling breathing not about how fast I could do it.

I think I will try to continue to run 5K three times a week but will try to increase my speed a little each time. I will try to build up my running speed from 9kph to 10kph. Once I can do 5K at 10kph then I might try moving on to C210K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Well done, can't wait til I get there. I just finished week 6. I'm doing 2 days on the treadmill and 1 run outside at the weekends and find the treadmill much harder and I run a lot slower. I think it's a combination of concentrating on not falling off and the heat just saps my strength. Maybe the fact that it's in the evening after work doesn't help either. For the first time in my life I can't wait for the bank holiday not for the sleep in but because I'll be able to fit in two outside runs at the weekend!

I finally completed the 5k last night. I've been diving in and out of the program for a few months now without fully sticking to it but the last few months have still given me a decent level of fitness.

I only intended going for a light jog last night but I said to myself half way, 'why not push for the full 5k', as I was feeling fine. I had enough to finish it, but I am feeling a little sore today so I'm going to give myself a rest until Wednesday to fully recover.

The plan is to get my 5k time down and slowly look to increase distance? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Well done, ColeTrain!!

Well done, ColeTrain!!

Thanks dmc. Well done to you as well btw.

Are you finding it easier yourself?

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Thanks dmc. Well done to you as well btw.

Are you finding it easier yourself?

I started increasing my speed a bit each time until I got to 10kph. So now I am running 5K at 10kph three times a week. It's still tough going each but time but I get a great sense of satisfaction from it.

I started increasing my speed a bit each time until I got to 10kph. So now I am running 5K at 10kph three times a week. It's still tough going each but time but I get a great sense of satisfaction from it.

Fair play, that's the way to do it I think - a slow and steady increase and then adding distance. The fact you're enjoying it also makes it a thousand times easier.

'10k we comin for you *****' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

I'm starting week 5 tomorrow, all my running/jogging/its really just plodding is done outside - with a dog :rolleyes: would I be nuts to aim to do my first ever 5k race at the end of week 9 on new years day? On days when I'm not plodding I do spin classes, swimming and horse riding. Up until 6 weeks ago I done none of this...

• Advertisement
Advertisement