Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k: Early Difficulties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I've recently finished the C25K programme. I recommend slowing down - it's not a race...do it at a pace where you know you will be able to get through it. I also say to myself things like 'ah you've run 4mins already, there's only another minute go, that's easy you've done 4' etc. i did my second parkrun on the weekend and said similar to myself...this time when i was starting to stress about the 5km, i told myself to just think of it as 3.5km, that i'd done two 3.5km runs during the week and that is a nice short distance. I soon forgot about the 5km and when the 3.5km mark came around it was easy to tell myself i only had 1.5km to go as i'd already done 3.5 and 1.5 was nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Guys, I started a C25K on Monday. Ran Monday morning, Wednesday morning, went swimming this morning - this is all exercise that I wouldn't normally do.

I feel absolutely RAVENOUS most of the day - is this to be expected? I'm eating about the same amount of food as I usually would.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Almost done with week 3 - 3 mins running was actually ok....seriously can't imagine doing 10 mins let alone 5K!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done. We've all had those thoughts . That's the genius of the c25k plan it builds a little bit each week . I found it pushed me to my limit every week and never believed I would be able for the next weeks run but I always was.
    Just take it nice and easy and you will definitely get there

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

I'm still plugging away, completed Week 6 Day 2 today and haven't had to go back and repeat any yet, which I'm both shocked and delighted about.

It's all in the mind people, I swore up and down I would NOT be able to run for 20 minutes non-stop and guess what, I managed it! Onwards and upwards, only a little over two weeks left and I... AM... SO... PROUD! :)

• Advertisement

Just finished week 4 and I can't complain....I even took a week off while I was overseas and got back and went straight back into it!

Just with those damn cramps in my calves would go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Started week three today. Found it tough going but I'll stick with it.

I'm on week 7 now. If I can do it - anyone can! I have absolutely no ccommittment skills when it comes to exercise but I've managed this without missing a run! I'm now running for 25 minutes!

I feel absolutely RAVENOUS most of the day - is this to be expected? I'm eating about the same amount of food as I usually would.

Thanks.

Has your hunger eased off?

Just be careful not to trust mapmyrun or the like for calorie counting.

The average calories burned from running are around 100cals per mile, this will vary slightly from person to person, but it's a good number to go by. You will see much higher numbers on the apps. So you're talking approx 300 calories burned for a 5km run.

You often hear of people putting on weight when they take up running and this is the reason why unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've plateaued at week 3 about three times now. Just seem to have a mental block about moving on to week 4. It's been so long since I've done it that I'd probably have to go back to square one at this stage. And I think I'd actually kill myself if I had to do week 3 for a fourth time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 voodoopigeon

I just focus on the distance and try to get better at running that distance before bringing time into it

I just focus on the distance and try to get better at running that distance before bringing time into it

How strange 4 posts and then closed account.

Anyway I firmly believe in the c25k program which is based on time running. I wouldnt even think about dhistance until s few weeks after you have completed the program.

A lot of it is mental so prepare mentally for it. I used to plan it the night before . Slow down and enjoy your running.

I like the c25k program. Got to week 8 and then had to take a break because of various reasons. Started again, but with a new plan called Zombies, Run 5k, which is a similar idea, but based around Zombies. It's actually a lot of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I was at this stage a few years ago and I had loads of little niggling injuries, I found that my main problem was trying to beat my 5k time. It got to a stage were I was unable to run for weeks, even months..

Find your pace and stick to it, I'd gradually add distance rather than speed.

Has your hunger eased off?

Just be careful not to trust mapmyrun or the like for calorie counting.

The average calories burned from running are around 100cals per mile, this will vary slightly from person to person, but it's a good number to go by. You will see much higher numbers on the apps. So you're talking approx 300 calories burned for a 5km run.

You often hear of people putting on weight when they take up running and this is the reason why unfortunately.

Ah deadly! Cheers for the reply - I thought my Q had just slipped under everyone's radar.

Yes, the hunger has definitely eased a little - I'm still hungry most of the day, but I'm not climbing the walls for food like I was when I originally posted. I didn't manage to keep up the swimming (would love to, for the health benefits, but I just get so bored in the pool), but I continued running 3/4 times a week, and actually completed a 5K for the first time last week (delighted to be able to say that!)

I'm using a Fitbit and the Fitbit app, rather than MapMyRun. It provides a calorie count alright, but I'm not paying much attention to it really - it's grand for having a rough idea of how many calories have been burned, but I'm not relying on it for anything - certainly not an eating plan.

Although maybe I need to come up with a better eating plan, as my clothes are beginning to hang off me a little - that's not a good look at work in a suit. I'm consistently down about a stone since (pretty much) ruling coke, chocolate, sweets, cakes and that kinda rubbish out of my diet earlier this year. Fruit or veg is the way to go when I need a snack at home!

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've plateaued at week 3 about three times now. Just seem to have a mental block about moving on to week 4. It's been so long since I've done it that I'd probably have to go back to square one at this stage. And I think I'd actually kill myself if I had to do week 3 for a fourth time.

Have you actually tried week 4? I really didn't imagine for a moment that I'd be able to get through the program without repeating a week or two, but apart from one morning where I hit a wall (a mental one!) I just kept going.

I'm male, 43, have only exercised sporadically throughout my adult life, and have never enjoyed running - I used to joke about how I couldn't run "from here to the window" without getting out of breath. I started training for a 5K race later than I should have, and only completed 6 weeks of a 9 week C25K, but somehow managed to run 5K last week in 31 mins. I think determination got me a long way - possibly most of the way; and a running playlist also helped me. If I can do it..... :)

What are the intervals like for your week 4? I don't think all the plans are the same, so the running/walking intervals may not suit you. E.G. on the app I used, Week 4 starts off with 5 minute warm-up walk; run for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds; run for 5 minutes, walk for 2.5 minutes, run for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds; run for 5 minutes; cool down walk for 5 minutes. If it seems like the running intervals are too long on your app, perhaps a different one would help....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'm currently doing Week 4. I completed Day 1 last night and the night before.

I've a question: would it be considered okay to run six nights a week? Or is wrong not to have a rest day in between every run? I was thinking of heading out tonight again and having a rest day tomorrow.

Normally people starting the c25k are in pretty poor condition fitness wise and in that scenario I think it's important to have the rest days . They alow the body time to recover between runs lowering the risk of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Have you actually tried week 4?

Nope, not yet. It's been about two months since I've run at all so I think going into week 4 "cold" would be a bad idea and I just cannot bring myself to repeat week 3 again.
    What are the intervals like for your week 4? On the app I used, Week 4 starts off with 5 minute warm-up walk; run for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds; run for 5 minutes, walk for 2.5 minutes, run for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds; run for 5 minutes; cool down walk for 5 minutes. If it seems like the running intervals are too long on your app, perhaps a different one would help....

Yeah, I think mine are the same as that.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Nope, not yet. It's been about two months since I've run at all so I think going into week 4 "cold" would be a bad idea and I just cannot bring myself to repeat week 3 again.

Yeah, I think mine are the same as that.

I think you should consider restarting the program if it's two months since you ran and wereon week 3 then

• Advertisement

Just about got through Week 5 day 1 yesterday, in the pouring rain!

It's a step up but have to say I'm loving this program at the minute, whereas before I wasn't exactly looking forward to getting out and doing it.

So frustrated!!!! Was on my last night of week 7 and had to stop 10 mins into my run because of cramps in my calves, I could barely walk home...what the hell am i doing wrong?!

I've always had cramps to some extent in the calves but this was unbearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I like the c25k program. Got to week 8 and then had to take a break because of various reasons. Started again, but with a new plan called Zombies, Run 5k, which is a similar idea, but based around Zombies. It's actually a lot of fun!

lol, how many times did they catch you?

justback what trainers you running in?

justback83 wrote: »
    So frustrated!!!! Was on my last night of week 7 and had to stop 10 mins into my run because of cramps in my calves, I could barely walk home...what the hell am i doing wrong?!

I've always had cramps to some extent in the calves but this was unbearable!

Are you stretching before running?

Are you stretching before running?

No - I thought this was frowned upon?? I do a 5 minute walk to warm up though...

tinner777 wrote: »
    lol, how many times did they catch you?

justback what trainers you running in?

I'm wearing a pair of Nike's. I've never had my gate analysed (feel dirty even saying it!) so it could be a factor I guess.

justback83 wrote: »
    No - I thought this was frowned upon?? I do a 5 minute walk to warm up though...

Ah... I'm no expert, but as far as I know, what's frowned upon is NOT stretching. I know a geansaí-load of runners (who run up to 100KMS distance) and they've all advised that best practice is to stretch before a run.

Static stretching of cold muscles before a run can cause damage to the muscles. For longer distances, warm up would generally be running for a km or two at a much slower pace to the rest of the run. For shorter distances a good walk should do the trick with some dynamic stretching - rolling of joints etc can also be added and I would have done that in the beginning but not now that I'm running further. Stretching after is important though:)

Not long in from Week 7 day 1.

Great feeling out in the rain, the streets empty, just yourself, the streetlights and your tunes.

ronnyroars.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Not long in from Week 7 day 1.

Great feeling out in the rain, the streets empty, just yourself, the streetlights and your tunes.

ronnyroars.gif

Nice one ColeTrain. I did week 7 day 1 myself on the treadmill. Tough going but I was delighted afterwards. 7 weeks ago there was no way I thought I would have been able to do this.

Advertisement