Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S5 lollipop update issue

Options
  • 30-01-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

In Ireland just updated my Galaxy S5 with Lollipop Android 5.0. Everything went ok with installation. When checking online what new features Lollipop had I noticed that the Battery Saver options not in settings and no flashlight option in settings. O2 is my network operator. Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Did you custom flash or was it an update from O2. If you flashed your own then there is a chance that some if not many of what you are looking for were not part of the new flash.

Usually whatever part of the Internet you dig this up from will have these things listed as not available

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DeclanConnolly

It was an update from O2
    hallo dare wrote: »
    Did you custom flash or was it an update from O2. If you flashed your own then there is a chance that some if not many of what you are looking for were not part of the new flash.

Usually whatever part of the Internet you dig this up from will have these things listed as not available

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This might help.

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-samsung-galaxy-s5-flashlight for the torch. I have both U.power saving and power saving available in my pull down menu. Do you have them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Fair enough, probably best posting on the O2 Thread so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DeclanConnolly

I have all those. It's just when I checked online what the new features of Lollipop for the Galaxy S5 I saw all these extra changes in settings that were not on my phone. Maybe these changes are for a different device not the Galaxy S5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

2 things right off the bat with this update:

1. Battery drain has gone nuts
    2. Where the *&%£ is silent mode??? Absolutely nuts that has been removed - was in meetings earlier on and phone was vibrating like a mad thing, also use it at night time :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

mollser wrote: »

1. Battery drain has gone nuts...

Ah, good auld Samsung. S6 release imminent, you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Anyone updated on Vodafone ?
    I need to know what exact version it is as there was a 5.0.1 issue with CISCO Enterprise WIFI where it refuses to connect.
    Its meant to be fixed in 5.0.2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

What happens if you just don't update? ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

nc19 wrote: »
    What happens if you just don't update? ??

Nothing, you carry on as normal. There might be some app obsolescence but that would be years away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

corwill wrote: »
    Ah, good auld Samsung. S6 release imminent, you say?

I found battery drain really bad after the update but did a factory reset and it's much better after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Check your battery stats to see if your wi-fi is on all the time.
    if so, go into Wifi settings, and check if the following are ticked

"Scanning always available"
    "Let Google's location services and other apps scan for networks, even when wi-fi is off"

"Wi-fi Optimisation"
    "Minimise battery usage when wi-fi is on"

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

mm-qcamera daemon s5

Check for this. I had the same issue last week. Battery died quickly
    Settings
    Battery
    There it shows a graph, and below that Use since last full charge
    If this daemon is there have a read through google to look for a fix

Luckily I had other issues with my phone and had a replacement arranged ( through work)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I updated to Lollipop on Friday and almost the next day the dreaded "mm-qcamera daemon" batter drain issue was appearing.

I had this last year and had to install Skype and Flickr to remove it. I never re-installed these apps since, but still get this battery killer.

2. Where the *&%£ is silent mode??? Absolutely nuts that has been removed - was in meetings earlier on and phone was vibrating like a mad thing, also use it at night time :mad:

Ok, all is well in the world again. Reluctantly I did a factory reset, and the battery life seems to have extended beyond recognition - up to 2 days now with light enough usage.

Silent mode fixed by turning vibrate down to minimum for notifications and installing Power Toggle app which includes silent mode.

So happy with the update now!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Anyone on Vodafone tell me whats the latest version downloaded for lollipop.

Is it 5.0, 5.01 or 5.02 or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I was wondering the same thing. I have two apps (clean master & battery doctor) to save my battery and they did work reasonably well until this update. Now the battery goes down so quick that you'd want to be beside a charger if you plan on using it in any capacity. The fúck?? Is there any way to counteract this brutal battery usage.

Plus the whole look of the s5 is just ass ugly now..

Edit: Just read the posts above, will try a factory reset..

GerB40 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. I have two apps (clean master & battery doctor) to save my battery and they did work reasonably well until this update. Now the battery goes down so quick that you'd want to be beside a charger if you plan on using it in any capacity. The fúck?? Is there any way to counteract this brutal battery usage.

Plus the whole look of the s5 is just ass ugly now..

Edit: Just read the posts above, will try a factory reset..

I have to agree. Since the update my battery seems to be draining more than ever. The mm-qcamera issue has disappeared thank God! But when I now check the battery settings, there's nothing in there to indicate a big drain. I'm constantly running that batter doctor app.

And yes, the new interface is awful! It's like the new design was an afterthought. I can't control the MP3 app from the Lock screen anymore. Silent mode has disappeared for some strange reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

chewed wrote: »
    I'm constantly running that batter doctor app.

Them apps are generally for earlier OS versions of Android, all them apps do not do much for any android version above JB.....

I'd remove it and use the built in battery saver in the OS....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Haven't received this yet - with E Mobile.

General consensus is, maybe not to update to this???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Not sure why some of you are having battery issues - updated my wifes phone and then did a factory reset. It still lasts around 2 days with some light usage. Is there any app draining the battery. Try GSam battery stats app to see which applications are using the battery.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Not sure why some of you are having battery issues - updated my wifes phone and then did a factory reset. It still lasts around 2 days with some light usage. Is there any app draining the battery. Try GSam battery stats app to see which applications are using the battery.

Agreed but it appears a factory reset is required, battery life is actually sensational when you do that. Not everyone is comfortable doing factory rests I can understand that, don't like doing it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Agreed but it appears a factory reset is required, battery life is actually sensational when you do that. Not everyone is comfortable doing factory rests I can understand that, don't like doing it myself!

I always factory reset twice after any Android OTA, seems to get the best from it .... (IMO)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Can't update my Strava to Facebook since the update????

And no silent mode is a pain in the bum.

don't like most of the new look either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

This may help regarding silent mode.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.hinterhofapps.sliderwidget&hl=en

It's really very handy to control all the phone sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

dfdream wrote: »
    Anyone on Vodafone tell me whats the latest version downloaded for lollipop.

Is it 5.0, 5.01 or 5.02 or something else.

It is 5.0 for all S5's currently

what's the best way to do a factory reset? Is it possible to restore all the apps again or do they all need to be re-installed? Also, I assume the memory card should be popped out when restoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

chewed wrote: »
    what's the best way to do a factory reset? Is it possible to restore all the apps again or do they all need to be re-installed? Also, I assume the memory card should be popped out when restoring?

Yep factory reset wipes all apps I'm afraid
    And I took my memory card out when I did mine

I am sure people more techie than me may have more words of wisdom for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭badge1123

chef wrote: »
    mm-qcamera daemon s5

Check for this. I had the same issue last week. Battery died quickly
    Settings
    Battery
    There it shows a graph, and below that Use since last full charge
    If this daemon is there have a read through google to look for a fix

Luckily I had other issues with my phone and had a replacement arranged ( through work)

Where do I find this qcamera daemon?

• Advertisement

badge1123 wrote:
    Where do I find this qcamera daemon?

Settings > Battery

Advertisement