Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering a Nissan Leaf - sanity check please?!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There seems to be a lot of problems recently with people buying adapters marketed as being v1.5, which turn out to actually be v2.1 (no good for Leaf!) on plugging in. Have you tried that one yourself cros?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

There seems to be a lot of problems recently with people buying adapters marketed as being v1.5, which turn out to actually be v2.1 (no good for Leaf!) on plugging in. Have you tried that one yourself cros?

I ordered it on June 3rd, assuming it hasn't died of bird flu the pigeon carrying it should be reaching Greece about now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mine actually arrived during the week, but I haven't youtubed where/how to plug it in yet. Will see if I get time now over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GreyDad

I may be wrong, but I thought the V1.5 vs V2.1 issue was nothing to do with the Leaf but was related to the version of LeafSpy.

If you use Android LeafSpy it needed V1.5 but the iOS version worked with V2.1.

I have the iOS version but unfortunately no Leaf to test it on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

GreyDad wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I thought the V1.5 vs V2.1 issue was nothing to do with the Leaf but was related to the version of LeafSpy.

If you use Android LeafSpy it needed V1.5 but the iOS version worked with V2.1.

I have the iOS version but unfortunately no Leaf to test it on :D

Ah, didn't realise that. I'm Android though so could be an issue for me.

• Advertisement

There was a new version of Leaf Spy for android this week... first in a long time... worth checking the changelog.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm mulling over moving office location from a Cavan office to Blanchardstown. The commute I am looking at is 90km each way. The office is located right beside the Blanchardstown shopping centre. That's 900km each week.

According to the fuel calculator on the ESB site, diesel will cost me €80 for said trip. Electric would cost me €12.

€80 x 48 = €3840.
    €12 x 48 = 576.

Difference - €3264 a year.
    €272 a month.

We have an old Nissan Micra that I'm putting through the NCT this evening and hoping it'll pass so I could look at scrappage. I see the scheme is due to end on 31st July but do people think it will end?

I'm just wondering what do I need to take into account. For example, can I still get a free home charge point fitted by the ESB? What model of Leaf do I need and what extra because I'll be looking at testing the range each day with a 90km trip, then charge and then home again 90km again?

Also, would I be better holding off until January? Office move won't actually happen until the end of the year.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm mulling over moving office location from a Cavan office to Blanchardstown. The commute I am looking at is 90km each way. The office is located right beside the Blanchardstown shopping centre. That's 900km each week.

According to the fuel calculator on the ESB site, diesel will cost me €80 for said trip. Electric would cost me €12.

€80 x 48 = €3840.
    €12 x 48 = 576.

Difference - €3264 a year.
    €272 a month.

We have an old Nissan Micra that I'm putting through the NCT this evening and hoping it'll pass so I could look at scrappage. I see the scheme is due to end on 31st July but do people think it will end?

I'm just wondering what do I need to take into account. For example, can I still get a free home charge point fitted by the ESB? What model of Leaf do I need and what extra because I'll be looking at testing the range each day with a 90km trip, then charge and then home again 90km again?

Also, would I be better holding off until January? Office move won't actually happen until the end of the year.

There's an updated battery with about 25-30 Kims more range due in the autumn for 2016 model year ,should see you get 140-150 Kms in the height of winter , cold wind and rain have a good effect on range. I estimate 110 Kms at about 100 Km/hr and you'd want to be plugged in at the height of winter, with the current battery and about 130-140 in summer with light winds, but this summer is pretty crap.

If buying new I'd hold off until then, depreciation is something to watch if doing mega miles.

The long range 150-250 mile range electrics are due to appear near the end of 2017 with possibly the Gm bolt appearing at the end of 2016, said to have 200 miles real range.

Take a test drive and you'll want one !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lemlin, you're at the top of the range there... 10% degradation and you'd be getting stuck.

I'd wait for the next model with slightly more range. That scrappage offer is on the whole nissan range, and as far as I can see it has been ending every month and then extended for at least 18 months already.

Where are you planning on charging? Public charger, or is there one at work. You want a backup plan anyway, as the chargers are occasionally out of service.

pwurple wrote: »
    Lemlin, you're at the top of the range there... 10% degradation and you'd be getting stuck.

I'd wait for the next model with slightly more range. That scrappage offer is on the whole nissan range, and as far as I can see it has been ending every month and then extended for at least 18 months already.

Where are you planning on charging? Public charger, or is there one at work. You want a backup plan anyway, as the chargers are occasionally out of service.

There are two rapid chargers in the blanchardstown area. And one in Navan and one in ashbourne if you get really stuck.
    Ideally since you are moving office, ask them to add a charger to the fitout, should cost €500 or less.

• Advertisement

cros13 wrote: »
    There are two rapid chargers in the blanchardstown area. And one in Navan and one in ashbourne if you get really stuck.
    Ideally since you are moving office, ask them to add a charger to the fitout, should cost €500 or less.

The office is already there. I'm thinking I'd hold off for an early 2016 model as the move will be toward the year end.

The office is already there. I'm thinking I'd hold off for an early 2016 model as the move will be toward the year end.

Good choice, hopefully the 30 Kwh battery option isn't just a rumour , it's showing up on U.S dealer order forms. But good to hold off just in case, you'd appreciate the extra range. And remember in just 2 years the new Gen Electrics will be here !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Was over in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre today and saw a Renault Zoe in the ecar spaces next to two Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) Looks like a nice machine, does anyone on boards have one or taken one for a spin? Sorry if I am trapping the thread off-topic, I'm assuming this isn't a Leaf-specific thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Arciphel wrote: »
    Was over in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre today and saw a Renault Zoe in the ecar spaces next to two Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) Looks like a nice machine, does anyone on boards have one or taken one for a spin? Sorry if I am trapping the thread off-topic, I'm assuming this isn't a Leaf-specific thread.

Funny you should mention that, I saw a Zoe outside of the showroom for the first time today, at the Naas fast charger. Two of the regulars here drive the Zoe. It looks terrific and it can fully charge from most of the standard chargers around the country in an hour, which is no small thing.

I actually looked at the Zoe before going to look at a Leaf, but the less than impressive sales pitch from the Renault dealer (who effectively did his best to talk me out of it) raised concerns about dealer support if I had any issues. It's a shame that Renault don't push it as they should, the lopsided sales figures for the Leaf tell a story. The open-ended battery rental doesn't help either.

It's definitely worth considering though. I haven't come across anyone on the EV sites who regrets buying one.

Renault dealers are not enthusiastic about selling the Zoe, I think Renault salespeople, should have their basic salaries reduced for incentive to sell more !!!

Dexter here on boards has a Zoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Renault dealers are not enthusiastic about selling the Zoe, I think Renault salespeople, should have their basic salaries reduced for incentive to sell more !!!

Dexter here on boards has a Zoe.

Totally agree with you! The reps I met had no interest whatsoever in selling the Zoe which is actually a Yaris size of an EV that would suit many people...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Zoe is smaller. Is it not Yaris sized, whereas the Leaf is more suitable for a family as its the interior size of a Focus, Golf etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Looking at a possible change in jobs soon which will mean I will be driving from D15 into town every day, round trip of 40km.
    Free EV charging & parking in the city centre would appeal, also it'll only be me so a Zoe would suit me fine.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Looking at a possible change in jobs soon which will mean I will be driving from D15 into town every day, round trip of 40km.
    Free EV charging & parking in the city centre would appeal, also it'll only be me so a Zoe would suit me fine.

Would the bus not be more convenient than driving in Dublin City ? I go crazy driving up there !

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

I have a Zoe. If you want more info on one have a look at myrenaultzoe.com

Latest post is written by me. Part 1 of my journey to Holland in my Zoe.

I also do a YouTube video log of interesting journeys and other things Zoe related. Youtube.com/dexie1979 Episode 17 shows me driving 1800km in 4 days through 29 counties. Episode 18 is my holiday to Holland.

• Advertisement

Good choice, hopefully the 30 Kwh battery option isn't just a rumour , it's showing up on U.S dealer order forms. But good to hold off just in case, you'd appreciate the extra range. And remember in just 2 years the new Gen Electrics will be here !

I'm now looking at a 75km trip to the M3 Parkway and then back again. Is there a chance the 2016 model Leaf would be able for this journey if fully charged each morning?

Also, is there anything I could miss out on by waiting e.g. free charge point at home, government subsidy ending etc.?

I'm now looking at a 75km trip to the M3 Parkway and then back again. Is there a chance the 2016 model Leaf would be able for this journey if fully charged each morning?

Also, is there anything I could miss out on by waiting e.g. free charge point at home, government subsidy ending etc.?

You'd just about do that on the current battery, just not with much headroom or with the heating on in winter.
    The new Leaf battery (which will realistically add ~35-50km of range) will be available for order next month with deliveries starting September/October. As soon as it's available, go for it, no point in waiting on a reg change as you'll lose more money keeping an existing ICE than depreciation could take.
    After that there's always something new and shiny... a 300-400km Mk2 Leaf due in 2017.

Still about 1000 free charger installations left on the scheme and grant is in place until Dec 2015 at least.

The updated battery when available should be able for 150 kms however in Winter it could also be tight but still better than the current model. Have a look on your route for fast chargers just in case. I do 134 Kms daily with a 10 min fast charge and get home with about 20-25% left probably get me 25-30 kms more.

Also note that the 6.6 Kw charger is optional currently costing 900 euro's think very carefully if you will benefit from charging twice as fast from the many non fast chargers, go to the E-cars charge point map and use the filter at the top and select the ac charge points shown as green on the map then change to the fast chargers, the blue icons and decide if you think charging twice as fast from all these AC ( green) points is worth the money. In my experience it has meant on several occasions I could come back from doing my business, get in the car and drive home not having to find a fast charger or possibly have to queue before I even get to charge. Some disagree with me about paying for the more powerful charger but for 900 charging twice as fast from AC points to me is damn well worth it.

Leaf II should have at least 250 Kms, or roughly 150 miles range this would be a big step up, hopefully be available by Q3 or Q4 2017.

The GM Bolt will be here first sometime in 2016 with a claimed 200 miles range.

The so called affordable Tesla Model 3 should be here by Q3-4 2017 also, but knowing Tesla could be Q 4 2018 and They're aiming for 250 miles range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I don't know a lot about the Auris hybrid but I had a look at the prices before I bought my Leaf and it seemed like quite an expensive proposition for a car you'd have to put petrol in at the end of the day. I know that the Prius has held it's value quite well and it seems to be very reliable so if you have your heart set on a hybrid perhaps look for a second hand Prius?

Given your commute, if you were thinking of getting a Leaf I'd certainly wait for the improved battery which should be here shortly. According to the ESB map there are two charge points at M3 parkway so if you could plug in there while at work you'd be sorted!

Don't forget to check out the likes of the Zoe or the BMW i3 (admittedly more expensive) as well.

The updated battery when available should be able for 150 kms however in Winter it could also be tight but still better than the current model. Have a look on your route for fast chargers just in case. I do 134 Kms daily with a 10 min fast charge and get home with about 20-25% left probably get me 25-30 kms more.

Also note that the 6.6 Kw charger is optional currently costing 900 euro's think very carefully if you will benefit from charging twice as fast from the many non fast chargers, go to the E-cars charge point map and use the filter at the top and select the ac charge points shown as green on the map then change to the fast chargers, the blue icons and decide if you think charging twice as fast from all these AC ( green) points is worth the money. In my experience it has meant on several occasions I could come back from doing my business, get in the car and drive home not having to find a fast charger or possibly have to queue before I even get to charge. Some disagree with me about paying for the more powerful charger but for 900 charging twice as fast from AC points to me is damn well worth it.

Leaf II should have at least 250 Kms, or roughly 150 miles range this would be a big step up, hopefully be available by Q3 or Q4 2017.

The GM Bolt will be here first sometime in 2016 with a claimed 200 miles range.

The so called affordable Tesla Model 3 should be here by Q3-4 2017 also, but knowing Tesla could be Q 4 2018 and They're aiming for 250 miles range.

My commute would be from just outside Virginia in Cavan to the M3 Parkway.

According to the map:

http://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-charging/electric-car-charge-point-map.jsp

There are standard chargers in Virginia, 2 in Kells (currently not working), 4 in Navan, including a fast charger, and then a standard one at the M3 Parkway.

So if I pay for the extra €900 battery I get a better charge at thesestandard chargers?

To me, the electric car looks a no brainer. I have a car for scrappage too. Are any company doing 0% finance for electric cars anymore? I know my own bank AIB aren't.
    cros13 wrote: »
    You'd just about do that on the current battery, just not with much headroom or with the heating on in winter.
    The new Leaf battery (which will realistically add ~35-50km of range) will be available for order next month with deliveries starting September/October. As soon as it's available, go for it, no point in waiting on a reg change as you'll lose more money keeping an existing ICE than depreciation could take.
    After that there's always something new and shiny... a 300-400km Mk2 Leaf due in 2017.

Still about 1000 free charger installations left on the scheme and grant is in place until Dec 2015 at least.

I'd be doing scrappage so depreciation wouldn't matter to me. I'd just be wary of losing the government grant or not getting a free home charger.

So if I pay for the extra €900 battery I get a better charge at thesestandard chargers?

The 6.6kW (30 amp) will double the rate you charge from an AC charger. So 0-100% charge time goes from 8 hours to just under 4. Note, the free charger from ESB is limited to 16amps so you'd need to spend €400-500 on a proper 32 amp charge point if you want that benefit at home.
    To me, the electric car looks a no brainer. I have a car for scrappage too. Are any company doing 0% finance for electric cars anymore? I know my own bank AIB aren't.

You can get 0% finance through Drive4Zero if you / any relations has an address in Cork.
    I'd be doing scrappage so depreciation wouldn't matter to me. I'd just be wary of losing the government grant or not getting a free home charger.

Nissan's scrappage deal ends this month. You won't be able to order the new battery on the Leaf until August at the earliest. Price lists haven't even gone out to the dealers yet.

Yes the 32 amp charger in the Leaf allows you to charge twice as fast at a standard charger and I still do not regret getting it what so ever, I know I would have regretted not getting it !!! the standard street AC points are the green icons on the Ecars charge point map.

The standard street points are still too slow while I'm on the way home from work but they're incredibly useful while out and about. For instance, I can drive to the Square, about 75 Kms from my home and by the time I come out the car is charged or charged enough that I don't have to look for a fast charger and then wait to charge.

As cros13 correctly pointed out, the ESB do not and will not install a 32 amp charge point despite there not being much in the difference in cost. It's always something you could buy yourself and sell the 16 amp. It will more than pay back for itself, the 32 amp charge point is about 600 Euro's then add cable and spark to connect, unfortunately these days you can no longer legally do DIY electrical installations but you can run the cable and mount the EVSE to the wall and the spark will only have to connect it either end.

I believe strongly when the ESB start charging for the electricity, it won't be cheap , I think it will be at least twice the day rate we pay at home. Still cheaper than petrol or diesel and you'll mostly charge at home.

There are a lot of people using the fast chargers for free leccy and claiming they might need to go out later in the evening bla bla while I actually need the fast charger ot get home but if they can charge at home in 2 hrs from 25% to say 90% then I think there'd be no need to visit a fast charger when you come home from work unless you need it like me doing a lot of mileage. I think there'll be a lot of people glad to charge at home at 32 amps when the chargers are no longer free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    I have a Zoe. If you want more info on one have a look at myrenaultzoe.com

Latest post is written by me. Part 1 of my journey to Holland in my Zoe.

I also do a YouTube video log of interesting journeys and other things Zoe related. Youtube.com/dexie1979 Episode 17 shows me driving 1800km in 4 days through 29 counties. Episode 18 is my holiday to Holland.

Maybe you should consider starting a Zoe, and Zoe Nav Thread, as Leaf now has its own, although on most posts I read, the assumption is that we are talking about Leaf, and only after many posts is the relevant EV mentioned. I'd like to hear more from people who have actually driven a Zoe before they compare. BMW i3 has its own problems as recently posted like charge socket at the side. Tesla now copied in India, etc. Good luck keep pushing that rock uphill.

reboot wrote: »
    Maybe you should consider starting a Zoe, and Zoe Nav Thread, as Leaf now has its own, although on most posts I read, the assumption is that we are talking about Leaf, and only after many posts is the relevant EV mentioned. I'd like to hear more from people who have actually driven a Zoe before they compare. BMW i3 has its own problems as recently posted like charge socket at the side. Tesla now copied in India, etc. Good luck keep pushing that rock uphill.

I'm not sure I'm happy about balkanising threads like the Leaf thread and any potential Zoe thread.

What tends to happen with these things is matters of general concern to all EV owners get talked about in the Leaf thread purely because most people own Leafs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You will probably get more feedback on https://www.facebook.com/groups/irishevowners/ if you're on Facebook.

You may also want to consider the Renault Zoe.

Do you get the impression that these are Leaf people, going the way of Irishevowners?
    Nothing wrong with that, unless we are wasting our time?

Advertisement