Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nono2012

I'm sorry to hear that Typermonkey, heartbreaking.. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Typermonkey I am so sorry to hear that, I had been thinking of you a lot over the weekend. Take care of yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lilly2015

Hi all,

Hope I can join! My dates tell me I'm due around October 13th... super excited & this will be number two for us, I've an almost 3 year old girl already.

Was on another thread on my first pregnancy & found it a great help & still meet up with some of the girls on it now and again.

I feel huge this time already so not sure how much longer I'm gonna be able to hide the news!

Hi Lilly, congratulations and welcome. How are you feeling? Sickness?

I have to agree, it's fantastic having a place to discuss pregnancy related issues, especially in the first trimester when you're trying to keep it quiet.

hey girls, I had my first app in Limerick yesterday, 2 urine samples, medical history and a scan!! at 7 & 1/2 weeks. I was really taken back because my GP told me it would be bloods only so I didn't ask OH to come with me so he missed out in seeing the little flutter on the screen. Don't get me wrong I am delighted everything is ok but I wish they didn't get their wires crossed with who was doing bloods and when the scan was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lilly2015

Orlyice, I'm feeling nauseous the last week or so - it's constant!!! But ironically not really in the morning time ;-) I didn't have any of this on my last pregnancy which makes me think it's a boy this time. My husband doesn't want to find out the sex this time, but I do! I loved knowing last time - anybody else gonna find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Nono2012, that's great that you got all that done. Must be a great feeling to see the wee flutter but i can understand your OH prob will feel he missed out. You're only a few days ahead of me and I was at my docs to get a confirmation a week and half ago and that was it! Not even blood pressure was taken, just confirmed the pregnancy and told me to come back at 8 or 9 weeks to get registered. Was a bit disappointed.
    Lily, I really think I will find out the sex of the baby this time, I'm already trying to guess so I doubt I'll be able to resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Have my first appointment tomorrow and feeling quite nervous about it, praying it all goes well.

I was told to drink a litre of water before i go, so am assuming it is for a scan.

What else happens on first appointment? First time mammy to be here :)

They took my medical history and two urine samples a scan and that was it for me, I was in and out of there in a hour, I was delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

Good luck Cruais tomorrow!

Slightly jealous of all you ladies going for scans soon. 2nd April seems so long away! I'll be 13 weeks by then...

• Advertisement

Lilly2015 wrote: »
    Orlyice, I'm feeling nauseous the last week or so - it's constant!!! But ironically not really in the morning time ;-) I didn't have any of this on my last pregnancy which makes me think it's a boy this time. My husband doesn't want to find out the sex this time, but I do! I loved knowing last time - anybody else gonna find out?

Oh sorry to hear you have nausea, I have been lucky so far. it's funny u should say you think it's a boy, my mam had no nausea with my brother and was very sick with the girls so she is convinced mine is a boy! Maybe neither of us will be right!

We are the same as you, we want to know the sex, purely from a planning point of view... So we can have stuff ready to go for when baba arrives. First time parents so we will probably buy way too much stuff anyway.

Nono2012, I would have been disappointed too if hubby missed it but great to hear all is going well.
    First scan is 2 weeks tomorrow and counting! Resisted the temptation to get an early scan, well hubby didn't have any time to come with me, he is working crazy hours now, trying to get a few weeks ahead of work so it will be easier for him to take a lot of time off in October. So we never got around to it.

Best of luck tomorrow cruais 😊

Thank goodness everything went ok this morning! Most stressful part was the traffic over to holles street! :)

Consultant reckoned i am 9 weeks pregnant. Got my scan, and there was a heart beat Thank god.

Next visit in 4 weeks :)

Aw congratulations cruais, glad everything is ok x

congrats Cruais :)

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jojo_12

Hi ladies. I'm glad to be joining the October gang. :) Went to doc during the week, 6 wks already, so I'm due October 26th. Exciting times!! :) No morning sickness, except for sore and sensitive boobs. Have signed up for Portlaoise, so fingers crossed it all goes well!! Congrats on scan going well Cruais. I won't have one till 14 weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

Query on doc fees during maternity..

I had a baby last year and from what i remember i had my first visit to the doctor and she tested urine and done blood pressure and went through some pamplets with me and discussed private v's public etc. She also gave me a flu vaccine and an appt for the nurse who took bloods. Then after that i went to the nurse in her surgery each time i was due a GP appt.

This time round i went in (in fairness she was looking after my son on the same visit) so charged me €50 and didnt do anything with me like BP/ urine etc just asked me to sign the form for the hospital. She told me only the nurse does flu vaccine and to get that and bloods taken at same time. When i got those done again no BP/ Urine etc and they charged me €30 as they said flu vaccine isn't covered for maternity.

I am asking because i am thinking of changing GP- they missed a fairly severe ear infection in my baby which ended with him having a burst ear drum even after me visiting 5 times in 2 months and she looked at me like i was a hypocondriac looney and GP care is so expensive i don't feel i was getting a good service. I want to know if i am over reacting and just reading the practice as bad because i'm upset about my baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SettlePettal

kikililly wrote: »
    Query on doc fees during maternity..

I had a baby last year and from what i remember i had my first visit to the doctor and she tested urine and done blood pressure and went through some pamplets with me and discussed private v's public etc. She also gave me a flu vaccine and an appt for the nurse who took bloods. Then after that i went to the nurse in her surgery each time i was due a GP appt.

This time round i went in (in fairness she was looking after my son on the same visit) so charged me €50 and didnt do anything with me like BP/ urine etc just asked me to sign the form for the hospital. She told me only the nurse does flu vaccine and to get that and bloods taken at same time. When i got those done again no BP/ Urine etc and they charged me €30 as they said flu vaccine isn't covered for maternity.

I am asking because i am thinking of changing GP- they missed a fairly severe ear infection in my baby which ended with him having a burst ear drum even after me visiting 5 times in 2 months and she looked at me like i was a hypocondriac looney and GP care is so expensive i don't feel i was getting a good service. I want to know if i am over reacting and just reading the practice as bad because i'm upset about my baby.

I just went today for the first time too. All he done was get me to sign a form for the hospital and that was it. No mention of the flu vaccine, all he said was stay away from blue cheese?!
    I don't know if that makes you feel better, and I don't know what I was expecting, but it's mad, on a normal visit he would check my blood pressure. And you're right, It really is expensive to walk away feeling like that.

Also, I just found out I am due October 31st! In this thread by the skin of my teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Jumping in from another thread....
    The first GP visit is included in the combined care scheme and should be free of charge once you sign the form (at least it has been anywhere I've worked).

A standard first GP visit would usually include confirmation of dates, a run through of relevant medical history, dietary/folic acid/drinking/smoking advice, flu vaccine advice, advice on public vs private care (if relevant to patient). Then examination wise blood pressure check, heart, lung, abdomen exam and urine sample.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Drdoc wrote: »
    Jumping in from another thread....
    The first GP visit is included in the combined care scheme and should be free of charge once you sign the form (at least it has been anywhere I've worked).

A standard first GP visit would usually include confirmation of dates, a run through of relevant medical history, dietary/folic acid/drinking/smoking advice, flu vaccine advice, advice on public vs private care (if relevant to patient). Then examination wise blood pressure check, heart, lung, abdomen exam and urine sample.

Hope that helps!

Some GPS do actually charge for the 1st visit, Mine does!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

lainycool wrote: »
    Some GPS do actually charge for the 1st visit, Mine does!

They really shouldn't though. I'd question it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My first gp visit was just urine test, weight, blood pressure and public vs private advice, confirming dates, they differ. Mine was free, a friend paid in the same town but different practice two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

Drdoc wrote: »
    They really shouldn't though. I'd question it!

I didn't do combined care on my 2nd for this reason so it was the gp who lost out in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rith

Hi, my Dr. Didn't charge,me on first visit. He was a Dr I hadn't met before as it's a large practice but he told me,to stop running and start eating for two, I haven't followed his advice every book says keep exercising and don't consume,more calories in first trimester. I've a bmi of 22 so I'm not underweight. He also told me to call hospital and get an appointment, when I did they said I needed a referral, so I called the receptionist in gp practice and he hadn't made a referral so I changed to a different Dr in same practice as receptionist also said I needed bloods done and he hadn't arranged this either. I've gotten the referral now and I had the bloods done and didn't have to pay for them either. I'm just waiting on hospital appointment, I'm just 7+5 so a bit of a wait. I'm thinking of getting a scan privately around 10 or 11 weeks. Anyone us scan me in Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Was he an old/old fashioned gp? Advising you to eat for two is ridiculous. I can't recommend scanme in Mullingar highly enough, I've been to her twice.

rith wrote: »
    he told me,to stop running and start eating for two

Wow that's mad! Hate That phrase "eating for two". My gp told me to "eat for one but sleep for two!"

So how is everyone doing now? 12 week scan is 11 days away now! My stomach is huge, always have a bit of weight on my tummy anyway but looks huge now. Eating ok, not fantastic but not terrible either. even my mam commented on how big I looked, she hadn't seen me in a week, she reckons it's twins! I would rather it was bloating! That would really be throwing first time parents in at the deep end!

"Eat for one but sleep for two", I like that!!
    Ah that's great your so close to that date Orlyice. How are you feeling? I'm 7+ odd weeks and had such bad symptoms from start but it's eased off so much. Scan next Sat, so hopefully will put my my mind at ease.. I do have such a big belly though. I'm size 8 normally but amazed at size already. I'm looking at side view in mirror everyday! I've googled it and it's normal enough for a second pregnancy.
    Imagine it was twins for u!
    Lol, bit of a handful!

Ah I'm great venusdoom, shattered is all. Escaped the morning sickness thank god. Cannot stomach garlic anymore, I love garlic ordinarily but can't stand the smell of it anymore. I have been lucky so far. Thought I might be able to hide it a bit more, especially having a belly! But no!

Can you remember when u started showing on your first venusdoom? Haha maybe you are having twins too lol. Oh you must be really excited for Saturday, only a week to go :) glad symptoms have eased for u, did u have bad morning sickness?

You're lucky with the sickness. Awk, must be annoying to go off something you like. Hasn't happened to me as yet! I've gone on oranges though, love even peeling them and getting the orangey smell, yum! Have you told many people yet and if not are you going to at 12 weeks?
    I think it was around 4 months when I noticed a little bump, I was pretty neat then. Actually all I had in terms of symptoms was tired and bit of heartburn, this time is completely different. Boobs were so so sore even before I was late, got evening sickness pretty much straight away after positive test, hit me round 7.30 every night! That meant all the soaps were ruined for me ha. Still sick once every day but nothing major. I don't mind feeling crappy though cos I don't like feeling too good.
    Oh if your finding it hard fitting into jeans look for bellybelts. Dunno if they're still on market but I loved using them with last pregnancy (7yrs ago). Just clip on to your own trousers where the zip bit is. Great job :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that venusdoom, will keep an eye out for them. Lost bit of weight before I got pregnant so using some of my old jeans at the moment, hopefully I will get away with that for a while! Looking forward to the summer, leggings/tights and dresses All the way! Oh god, that sounds horrible, and rotten timing! Maybe the sex of the baby is different this time! Different symptoms and all. Yea I rather have the reassurance of having symptoms everyday. I was forever feeling the boobs to see if they we still sore! Oranges isn't a bad thing to start eating! Least ur getting vitamin c! Was making a spag Bol this evening for hubbie and opened some minced garlic and couldn't even put it in his dinner! I'm a veggie and he reckons he will come home some day to find me eating a rare steak or something!

Our families know and a few close friends, But couple of my mates guessed so I told another 2. Wouldn't have said anything otherwise. I reckon a few of my mams friends know, most of them have grandchildren and this will be mams first! She has been dropping a lot of hints since we got married last year!
    How about ye, have ye told many people yet? How do you reckon your little one will react when their hear they are going to have brother or sister? Big changes!

Advertisement