Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffie dog hogtied and cooked alive over a fire at The Curragh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

I volunteer at the DSPCA shelter up in mount venus and with the ISPCA, there has been an increase in the viciousness of attacks in recent years.

You used to get group finds at puppy farms every couple of weeks. But it was a gross industry that was always there. I don't know if it's that people are finding more of these cases or there are more. Dogs just aren't abandoned any more they are beaten and abused coming in.

I remember seeing a little three legged girl who had been run over by the luas running around the shelter after she recovered she was one of the worst stories there was back then.

There has been a general increase in animal cruelty it's been confirmed by statistics.

It's not just the recession either http://thecircular.org/general-increase-in-animal-cruelty-in-ireland/

There is something wrong.

There was a debate for an animal welfare bill in 2013 it was for new legislation to replace an animal protection bill that was from 1911 amended in 1965. The main outstanding animal welfare piece of legislation is the long-overdue Animal Health and Welfare Act. The current Protection of Animals Act dates from 1911.

This is it by the way. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2013/en/act/pub/0015/print.html

There is a lobby to get TD's to act for change. http://www.dspca.ie/lobbyforchange

We need to modernize our laws. Often people convicted of extreme animal cruelty don't even get lifetime bans on owning an animal but bans of a few months or a year. There was an increase that year in cases involving cruelty in 2013 by 60%.There was a case that year of a guy who decided to slaughter a number of pigs in his own domestic home with no equipment! Then of course there are greyhounds greyhounds and more greyhounds. There are some cases of stupidity like the woman who decided to feed her pet pig nothing but cheese. But something has changed.

It's unbelievable to me but some people seem to have a problem with cognition or being able to appreciate animals have a level of consciousness or they simply do not care.

The ASPCA did a one day workshop in Ireland a couple of years ago to do with Animal CSI and using veterinary forensics. Gardai, Veterinarians & Irish Animal Welfare societies attended so it's getting harder for them to get away with it.

If people are ever confused as to whether an animal is enduring cruelty remember the five freedoms from the DSPCA site.
    The Five Freedoms

The welfare of an animal includes its physical and mental state and we consider that good animal welfare implies both fitness and a sense of well-being.

Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.

Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.

Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.

Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space and proper facilities.

Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

Should apply double for humans !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

K4t wrote: »
    As I said already, fined, and forced to undergo a psychological evaluation and counselling, which they probably should have had a long time before incidences such as this.

Yes that will help alright.... Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

I love animals and especially my own, I dont believe we deserve them anymore the level of twisted cruelty visible every day in this small country and worldwide is so upsetting to read about. The way we treat our animals is indicative of the kind of society we are.

I am sad to say we are a degenerative and vicious vile people breeding half bred horrible humans who think this is a fun thing to do on a wintery weekend roasting an unwanted dog more than likely someones companion or pet. Another hate crime will go unpunished in Ireland. I am sad to say it but the species who become extinct every other day are free of us and are the lucky ones we do not deserve animals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

i really think we should have designated animal welfare officers that would deal with the welfare of animals. the garda are too busy dealing with us to deal with animals.

Roquentin wrote: »
    i really think we should have designated animal welfare officers that would deal with the welfare of animals. the garda are too busy dealing with us to deal with animals.

" garda dont give a **** about animals i reported a dog tied up to the gardai they said he was fine and not to interfere the people were dodgy that dog he died tied up 4 years later he had a rusty barrel for a kennel and was always matted and dirty they said he was fine.......what would they know too busy selling drugs and passing info to other criminals.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

These people need to be found and punished pronto.

Torturing animals is one the clearest indications of a highly dangerous mind. It's not a huge leap between this barbarity and hurting humans. It's a leap that is often made.

Strange what people invest the most outrage in.

When the Japanese journalist was beheaded by ISIS the lazy, cliched Jap jokes came flooding in thick and fast and were met with much more applause and much less condemnation on that thread than the inevitable, puerile "hot dog", "dogtied" and "woof" jokes that were dribbled out on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I find animal-rights extremists a little unhinged and difficult to be around.

We all know people who love their own pets, and most of us like animals in general.

But the kind of people who come online and dream-up sadistic images like shooting the perpetrator dead, or claiming that domestic animals and human beings have an equal right to life, are very much in the loopy category as far as I am concerned.

Nobody condones animal cruelty. But saving a cat's life ahead of a child? Shooting dead or torturing another human being? You guys need to take a look at yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I love animals and especially my own, I dont believe we deserve them anymore the level of twisted cruelty visible every day in this small country and worldwide is so upsetting to read about. The way we treat our animals is indicative of the kind of society we are.

I am sad to say we are a degenerative and vicious vile people breeding half bred horrible humans who think this is a fun thing to do on a wintery weekend roasting an unwanted dog more than likely someones companion or pet. Another hate crime will go unpunished in Ireland. I am sad to say it but the species who become extinct every other day are free of us and are the lucky ones we do not deserve animals.
    Better release your pets into the wild so, given that you don't believe you deserve them.

" garda dont give a **** about animals i reported a dog tied up to the gardai they said he was fine and not to interfere the people were dodgy that dog he died tied up 4 years later he had a rusty barrel for a kennel and was always matted and dirty they said he was fine.......what would they know too busy selling drugs and passing info to other criminals.....

The Gardai don't really protect human beings anymore either.

Better release your pets into the wild so, given that you don't believe you deserve them.

cant & wont release them as some twisted half bred would try to inflict inane cruelty on them they are safe and loved with me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

cant & wont release them as some twisted half bred would try to inflict inane cruelty on them they are safe and loved with me..
    Strange. You said you don't deserve them.

I think you should revise the auld "we" misuse there. "We" are not all responsible for a bunch of degenerates.
    The responsibility of the rest of us is to do what we can to prevent animal abuse, and to take care of animals that are entrusted to us/whom we can rescue.
    If we don't manage to prevent a bunch of lowlives abusing animals despite doing our best, it is not "our" collective fault - it is the scum's fault. Shifting blame from its correct place does these animals no good, and dilutes the responsibility of the scum who have actually carried out the acts.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd happily put my dog above all of you. You're strangers to me, my dog isn't.

Rough order of my priorities come crunch time would be wife-family-friends-dog-everyone else

Moronic statements.

sorry didn't intend to offend just blood boiling about this latest cruelty isn't yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

You said in the post above humans are not superior

They aren't, to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

The whole place is out of control - thanks to the loikes of the Politicians, Bankers, Builders, Developers, Clergy.
    To name but a few. And not one of those Kunts in Jail.

As a result - "the Divil finds work for Idle Hands".

I say bring back the Rope. And bring on the Birch.
    The scum that did that to a little Dog need to be flogged in Public with the Birch.

And as for the Traitors who brought this cuntry to its knees - a very Tall tree and a very Short Rope ...

Roquentin wrote: »

Well there are.

But what you see on the TV is very different to what you will experience here in Ireland The laws are petty compared to USA law, they make it look easy. The law is basically non-existint, prosecution depends on the Gardai and the judge on the day etc pp.

Regarding SPCA inspectors. Most are with FAS and most havent got a clue. Sorry but it's what i have seen.Field officers and all the staff are just people on the dole with a CE scheme.

I started volunteering a few years ago and two of the people I started with became officers. Volunteering is the only way to get your foot in the door as regards animal welfare officer but its not garunteed and only after years. Fas people or those on the dole have a better chance. There is no real way if you want to change career or go from school.

Also it has to be said it is a VERY tough job. They encounter very dangerous violent people and have very little protection. I know it can be very emotional work. They see horrible things.

Forget what you see on TV they are American shows the laws here are quite frankly crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Each day the internet comes up with something new to sicken me more.it wasn't just an animal dying,it was slow premeditated torture.that dog died pretty much the worst death imaginable,and some cnut saw it as entertainment.

It's not that it's that the laws here in comparison to places like the US are very weak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

It's not that it's that the laws here in comparison to places like the US are very weak.

Like I said :-

Rope n Birch :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I see headlines like this and my faith in humanity depletes even further.

Horrible horrible people to hurt a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Each day the internet comes up with something new to sicken me more.it wasn't just an animal dying,it was slow premeditated torture.that dog died pretty much the worst death imaginable,and some cnut saw it as entertainment.

From rte news website,

A volunteer with Kildare and West Wicklow Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has said reports regarding the discovery of a dog in Kildare are not accurate and had been misinterpreted.

Earlier reports said the dog died after being apparently cooked alive over a fire at the Curragh.

The volunteer, who was called out to the animal last Monday morning, said there was nothing to suggest the dog was set on fire.

She said he was not hog-tied and it was not true to say he was roasted on a spit.

The dog was found in a bad condition and badly injured on an area of charred rubbish, she asid.

He had scorch marks on his ankles. He may have died of malnutrition, she said, but they did not know the cause of death.

The volunteer said his fur was not burnt off, but some of it had been singed.

There were no third degree burns on his body, she said.

She said that the vet involved did not say he was "cooked" but that he may have had possible heat injuries.

There were indents on his two front legs from scorching and it seemed there was evidence that his two front paws had been tied, but she said the dog's paws were not tied when they found him.

The volunteer confirmed that the dog was alive when found, but she says the reports about the dog were misinterpreted.

thanks or the info it doesn't make me feel any better another poor defenceless animal left to starve. maybe he got singed trying to retrieve some food from the burning rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Deluded Oreo

You really know the art of trolling is down the drain when you have overweight neckbeards having a go at "animal lovers".

It's statistically proven those who torture dogs are likely future serial killers that's the worrying issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

RTE news saying some reports of dog being cooked alive not accurate

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0129/676495-dog-fire-kildare/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

FFS!!! :(
    Its stories like this that really makes me weep for mankind, or want to kill the ones that do these things or find it funny, must have feck all else in there lives!!

I knew there was something dodgy about this story as I said on the first page of this thread.

More shoddy "journalism" from the Journal. You can't trust anything you read on there.

BBJBIG wrote: »
    Like I said :-

Rope n Birch :mad:
    That is hardly going to make us a more civilized society.

I understand the emotions etc.

But really I would like to see lifetime bans on own any animal on a first offense.

I would like the guards to be able to really affect the lives of those who do this. For instance if they could take away the license of someone who did this as well as a lifetime ban on owning any animals plus a fine. And I mean a reasonable fine.

In 2013 poacher illegally killed 8 deer and got a measly 400 euro fine each. They were already licensed deer stalkers and would have known the rules better than a non licensed deer stalker. They were shot under the hrs of darkness and under the hours of darkness deer are completely protected by law even wild deer. Partially because shooting in the dark is bloody stupid anyway.

They had valid firearms certs but decided it was a good idea to go out in the dark and shoot moving things. Yeah that is the type of people you are dealing with. They should have lost there rifles and the car they were driving. And also should never be allowed to hunt or own a gun in future. There could have easily been an accident involving a person in the dark. Or a different species of animal.

They should have had those guns taken and a ban on owning others in the future at least.

conorh91 wrote: »
    I knew there was something dodgy about this story as I said on the first page of this thread.

More shoddy "journalism" from the Journal. You can't trust anything you read on there.

It should have been more accurate absolutely.

But the dog has since died. Nothing can be more sad. They did not need to sensationalize anything. The poor dog is dead now.

They did not need to sensationalize anything.
    Of course they didn't need to. But they did sensationalize it.

Headline: This Staffie dog was hogtied and cooked alive over a fire...

There was no evidence. Pure sensationalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

BBJBIG wrote: »
    The whole place is out of control - thanks to the loikes of the Politicians, Bankers, Builders, Developers, Clergy.
    To name but a few. And not one of those Kunts in Jail.

As a result - "the Divil finds work for Idle Hands".

I say bring back the Rope. And bring on the Birch.
    The scum that did that to a little Dog need to be flogged in Public with the Birch.

And as for the Traitors who brought this cuntry to its knees - a very Tall tree and a very Short Rope ...

What, please explain for me, does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Advertisement