Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest moment on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The entirety of Dreams of a Life, a documentary about a woman who had died and remained undiscovered for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the end of The boy in the striped pyjamas

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

That gob s hite that used to come on before Corrie on UTV, nothing, and I mean NOTHING was sadder than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

DubiousV wrote: »
    I have a message. Lieutenant Colonel... Henry Blake's plane... was shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in. There were no survivors.

M.A.S.H.

Another great scene occurred in the final episode. Hawkeye, after being committed to an army mental hospital, uncovers a repressed memory with the help of the psychatrist (cant thin of the characters name at the mo). A refugee, after being shouted at by Hawkeye to keep the noise down so they wouldn't be discovered by a passing enemy patrol, smuggles a chicken to death. What was a chicken in Hawkeyes memory was in fact her baby and he breaks down after realizing it. Great acting out of Alan Alda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Derek has thrown up a couple of sad scenes during it's TV lifespan, I won't do a spoiler by mentioning them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

eviltwin wrote: »
    The entirety of Dreams of a Life, a documentary about a woman who had died and remained undiscovered for a number of years.

Really got to me when Martin broke down crying. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I remember seeing Mary Robinson on TV on a visit to one of the African famine stricken countries. I think she was President at the time? I was still in school anyway.
    She was talking about what she was witnessing and was grief stricken, choking back the tears.
    It was so sad to watch but I just rememberer being very proud of her. It really resonated with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

" O Captain, my Captain", nuff said,the epic final scene from Dead Poets Society, made more poignant now that Robin Williams is no longer with us, this is heartbreaking, yet compelling!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Del Boy in the room on his own when Rodders gets married,just before the credits. Simply Red playing Holding Back the Years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

When Spock dies and Kirk give the eulogy with the Scotty on the bagpipes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The
    death of Hank
    in Breaking Bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Sean penn " is that my daughter in there" really brings a lump to my throat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

The Glee tribute episode to Cory Monteith had me building an ark to float on my own tears. Will never know how Lea Michele and the rest of the cast managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

The ending of Marley & Me is definitely one, even if it's a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

(Pursuite of happiness) Will smith and his son sleeping in the toilet in the subway station,and will smith trying to make a game of it with tears in his eyes,heartbreaking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

Nobody's yet put up this. The music, the emotion in what was supposed to be a comedy series. It's just heart wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

The Big C, christ on a bike I blubbered uncontrollable so many times.

The punch to the stomach twist was.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The montage at the start of UP. If you didn't cry you dont have a heart

UP! was grand,
    feel sorry for this pixar employee though - long long drive home :

http://on.today.com/1wBM9wH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Another form the wire: the ongoing witch hunt against clay davis. A man striving for the best for his community being Continually harassed by the authorities culminating in his dejected look when leaving the grand jury

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Buffy had a few...Giles finding Jenny Calendar in his home...Joyce's death, Angel's death, Tara's death...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

This will make you feel very sad!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

When Mark died from brain tumour in ER

I was scrolling through thinking "nah, nah, nah" and then I got to this. Holy **** that was sad :(

From The Good Wife
    the episode when Will is killed and the episode after it, so so sad

From 8 Simple Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter - John Ritter died in real life in the middle of filming the second season so they had to write it into the show. The first episode after his death was an hour long and it was really really sad, all the cast crying real tears.

Futurama - Fry's dog :(

The last episode of Friends, when they leave the apartment and walk off down the hall and you know you'll never see inside Monica's apartment again and also hearing interviews with the cast about how hard those last episodes were, knowing it was all coming to an end. I know there are plenty of non-fans on here but I grew up with Friends and still love it even after the endless E4 marathons.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air - How come he don't want me man?

How I met your mother - the episode when Marshall is listening to his dad's last pocket dial with all his friends.

Sons of Anarchy - when Opie died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

The wire......Avon and stringer sharing a last beer together............the wire sure did have some somber moments..........I know prop joe was a two faced bastard but it was kinda sad when Marlo offed hik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

when Alma died in coronation street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

the end of black adder in ww1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

I was scrolling through thinking "nah, nah, nah" and then I got to this. Holy **** that was sad :(

From The Good Wife
    the episode when Will is killed and the episode after it, so so sad

From 8 Simple Rules for Dating my Teenage Daughter - John Ritter died in real life in the middle of filming the second season so they had to write it into the show. The first episode after his death was an hour long and it was really really sad, all the cast crying real tears.

Futurama - Fry's dog :(

The last episode of Friends, when they leave the apartment and walk off down the hall and you know you'll never see inside Monica's apartment again and also hearing interviews with the cast about how hard those last episodes were, knowing it was all coming to an end. I know there are plenty of non-fans on here but I grew up with Friends and still love it even after the endless E4 marathons.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air - How come he don't want me man?

How I met your mother - the episode when Marshall is listening to his dad's last pocket dial with all his friends.

Sons of Anarchy - when Opie died.

Surprised it took this long for that one to crop up. Supposedly its real emotion because Smith's dad walked out on him in real life and the scene was ad libbed. Very sad because it's actually his real reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

When Butch died in Emmerdale. It hadn't been leaked that he was leaving which was unusual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Ahem... :p

And the hug from his on-screen dad wasn't supposed to be scripted either.

I know I mentioned it already but Homer saying goodbye to his mother really affects me - I suppose because it's the only actual sad moment of the series I can think of. There are other moving (but still kinda funny) moments for sure, but that one is absolutely heartbreaking IMO. It's handled so beautifully. There were other scenes featuring Mother Simpson later on but they were fairly crappily written in keeping with the show's general decline.
    Can only find it in Spanish:

Mona: Well, there's my ride. The underground awaits.
    Homer: [sniffles] At least this time, I'm awake for your goodbye.
    Mona: [sniffles] Oh. Remember, whatever happens, you have a mother,
    and she's truly proud of you.
    Hippie: Oh! Hurry up, man. This electric van only has twenty minutes
    of juice left!
    Homer: Don't forget me!
    Mona: Don't worry, Homer: you'll always be a part of me.
    [hits her head on doorframe] D'oh!

Damn onions. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

SeaFields wrote: »
    Another great scene occurred in the final episode. Hawkeye, after being committed to an army mental hospital, uncovers a repressed memory with the help of the psychatrist (cant thin of the characters name at the mo). A refugee, after being shouted at by Hawkeye to keep the noise down so they wouldn't be discovered by a passing enemy patrol, smuggles a chicken to death. What was a chicken in Hawkeyes memory was in fact her baby and he breaks down after realizing it. Great acting out of Alan Alda.

Sydney Freedman?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-4CKegHLQ

Advertisement