Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be r

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Daith wrote: »
    Ill judged for the school who messed up.

A communications error compounded by an erroneous communication. This could easily have been resolved without all the unnecessary publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Suppose that makes sense. Parents usually informed when workshop take place instead of normal classes.

They didn't say that to the person who was due to give the course; in her own words:

https://twitter.com/Bellaknit/status/560125330024071168
    Today was mental - went to give an anti homophobic bullying workshop to TY students, but was cancelled on arrival due 2 parents complaints

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Schools are supposed to tackle homophobic bullying. Emphasis on homophobic. It's very clear actually.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cyber-bullying-1082034-Sep2013/
    I have no problem with that. But the situation which has arisen has not surprised me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

oceanclub wrote: »
    They didn't say that to the person who was due to give the course; in her own words:

https://twitter.com/Bellaknit/status/560125330024071168

P.

The workshop group might not have said it, but that's what may have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

A communications error compounded by an erroneous communication. This could easily have been resolved without all the unnecessary publicity.

Which is the schools fault. Cancelling an event with a half an hour notice then not giving them an answer after repeated attempts.

The school messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

That's just the old Irish language man, perfectly explains such a bafflingly conservative stance.
    From what I've heard, Gaelscoils are more conservative-minded than non-Gaelscoils. Maybe it's some de Valeraesque fantasy of a Gaelic, Catholic Ireland at play here.
    Typical closed-minded Gaelgoir attitude; too stubborn to change their attitude and snobbery with Irish. This is unsurprising.

Even though as an Irish speaker and someone who loves the language I should be insulted, all I could do was laugh here considering anyone who knows anything about Gaelscoileanna would know that nowadays you probably couldn't find more a middle-class, non-traditional, non-conservative crowd. To the point where traditional Gaelgóirí often lament the passing of the old days of the Gaelscoileanna. They couldn't be less DeValera if they tried.

It has absolutely nothing to do with this particular issue. But don't let that get in the way of your Gaeilge-bashing.
    It's possible that there were complaints/objections from parents. My daughter's school had a vvisit from the Rose of Tralee and she spoke to morning assembly and mentioned in passing the fact that she is gay, doesn't let it define her etc.
    There were complaints afterwards from some parents.

I'd suspect possibly one of these two things has happened- either they hadn't fully sought permission from parents to run the workshop (often schools seek permission from parents via a signed letter before running RSE- related programmes in schools) or else a parent objected. I really hope it was the former, because if it's the latter, I worry about parent power in our schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The workshop group might not have said it, but that's what may have happened?

Here's what I think; they panicked and told her it was cancelled, full stop. Now that the story was gone Full Streisand, they're rowing back and saying it's only postponed.

P.

Which is the schools fault. Cancelling an event with a half an hour notice then not giving them an answer after repeated attempts.

The school messed up.

Possibly, yes. But not for homophobic or anti-gay reasons that some were possibly suggesting earlier. With more information all will become clear.

Possibly, yes. But not for homophobic or anti-gay reasons that some were possibly suggesting earlier. With more information all will become clear.

"some had a difficulty with the topic of LGBT issues being raised at the workshop."

It's a workshop about homophobic bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Meangadh wrote: »
    I'd suspect possibly one of these two things has happened- either they hadn't fully sought permission from parents to run the workshop (often schools seek permission from parents via a signed letter before running RSE- related programmes in schools) or else a parent objected.

Or possibly a last-minute cancellation by the priest who was due to perform the post-workshop exorcism.

• Advertisement

"some had a difficulty with the topic of LGBT issues being raised at the workshop."

It's a workshop about homophobic bullying.

Parents had probleny, not school.
    They had been speaking in the school couple of times before. Was never a problem. Probably just admin error regarding letters home or parental opt-outs.

aunt aggie wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense... Schools have a legal responsibility to provide relationships education including anti bullying and sex ed. Parents are usually just informed and there's nothing they can do about it. They cant change school policy and the laws of the country because of their own beliefs.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but none of the above is actually correct.

Schools have no legal responsibility to provide relationships education including anti-bullying and sex ed.

Parents are always informed and have to be informed because each school can tailor it's own anti-bullying policy, and parents can opt to have their child not participate in the various programmes.

They can influence school policy and the laws of the country protect their right to their beliefs as the parents are the primary educators of their children according to the Irish constitution.

Parents had probleny, not school.
    They had been speaking in the school couple of times before. Was never a problem. Probably just admin error regarding letters home or parental opt-outs.

Yes the parents I'm sure.

They already had spoke there twice, so the school had ran the events and gotten appropriate permission twice already.

I'm not sure where you get your information, but none of the above is actually correct.

Schools have no legal responsibility to provide relationships education including anti-bullying and sex ed.

Yes they do.
    SPECIFIC STRATEGIES TO deal with cyberbullying and homophobic bullying are to become mandatory in all 4,000 primary and post-primary schools.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cyber-bullying-1082034-Sep2013/

oceanclub wrote: »
    Here's what I think; they panicked and told her it was cancelled, full stop. Now that the story was gone Full Streisand, they're rowing back and saying it's only postponed.

P.

Sorry, just seeing this now.
    I don't see that happening. The whole thing would and did blow up in front of the school. Any principal or department head would not let themselves open to that.
    Unless evidence to the contrary I think it's more admin error over anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Meangadh wrote: »
    Even though as an Irish speaker and someone who loves the language I should be insulted, all I could do was laugh here considering anyone who knows anything about Gaelscoileanna would know that nowadays you probably couldn't find more a middle-class, non-traditional, non-conservative crowd. To the point where traditional Gaelgóirí often lament the passing of the old days of the Gaelscoileanna. They couldn't be less DeValera if they tried.

The gaelscoil closest to us couldn't be more traditional and more into equating being Irish with being catholic if it tried. Lots of parents send their children there to avoid having their children in school with non Irish children and the children who do go there spend hours in the church across the road. The music done is all for school masses and the artwork is all based on religious themes. As a parent raising children free from religion there is no way I could or would send them there and expect it to be a suitable, inclusive environment for my children.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So its just 2 parents worried about little Johnny or little Mary catching a dose of viral gayness

More here, straight from the Department of Education.

It's extremely explicit in terms of what is required.

http://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Policy-Reports/Anti-Bullying-Procedures-for-Primary-and-Post-Primary-Schools.pdf

Yes the parents I'm sure.

They already had spoke there twice, so the school had ran the events and gotten appropriate permission twice already.

Exactly.

For a different group of students each time. A new year group. Same rules apply, letters home, signed slips, etc
    Could have In the past have faced legal action for not sending home information or permission slips.

That's referring to school policies, not education.

• Advertisement

Sorry, just seeing this now.
    I don't see that happening. The whole thing would and did blow up in front of the school. Any principal or department head would not let themselves open to that.
    Unless evidence to the contrary I think it's more admin error over anything else.

More than an admin error I think and more to do with parents.
    The organisation contacted the school again on Tuesday morning to “check everything was still ok” and was told that it was. “We got an email at 10.30am this morning cancelling the workshop,” Mr Meehan said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-school-cancels-workshops-on-homophobic-bullying-1.2081515#.VMf1JGg1x3o.twitter

What are you talking about. You were talking about schools?

Schools have to have anti-homophobic bullying polices in place.

Which is why this school brought in Shout Out twice to deliver workshops.

Read para 1.1.1 of the document and get back to us on that.

But if you are referring to the curriculum content, you may well be right.

Read para 1.1.1 of the document and get back to us on that.

But if you are referring to the curriculum content, you may well be right.

Right got ya.

They still need policies but this is away from the actual issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Parents are always informed and have to be informed because each school can tailor it's own anti-bullying policy, and parents can opt to have their child not participate in the various programmes.

They can influence school policy and the laws of the country protect their right to their beliefs as the parents are the primary educators of their children according to the Irish constitution.

All schools do have to provide relationships and sex education. This is the SPHE syllabus at Junior Cycle and further RSE classes at senior cycle. This is common place in all schools in the country.
    Circular M4/95 indicated that it was necessary for schools to commence a process of developing a school-policy with a view to including RSE, and wider aspects of Social, Personal and Health Education in their curricula in the school year 1995/96, if not already being done.

If certain schools are allowing their own ethos or parents concerns to get in the way of students education, they're letting kids down.

Seems some of the students are going to protest tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd make the parents publicly explain there concerns

Gatling wrote: »
    I'd make the parents publicly explain there concerns

Surely the children of those parents should just not go to the workshop?

aunt aggie wrote: »
    All schools do have to provide relationships and sex education. This is the SPHE syllabus at Junior Cycle and further RSE classes at senior cycle. This is common place in all schools in the country.

If certain schools are allowing their own ethos or parents concerns to get in the way of students education, they're letting kids down.

Well that's a matter of opinion really, and one that's entirely dependent on the parents. The school has no choice but to acknowledge parents concerns, and in some cases, parents concerns are actually beneficial in forming the school's anti-bullying policies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

Could this controversy lead to the kids getting bullied, I would be weary of any naming and shaming of the parents as some posters are saying it will just cause issues with the kids who might not share their parents thoughts

Advertisement