Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be r

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The thing with phrases like 'homophobic bullying' is that it makes it sound like the problem is with the homophobic part and not the bullying.

I would have been a little pissed off when I was in school if a group came in and said homophobic bullying wasn't on but there was no mention of any other bullying, as if the bullying I had to put up with didn't matter because I wasn't gay.

Your attitude is part of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's depressing :(

There were complaints also after an Irish sports star came to speak about his experience on teenage depression. An in-law of mine complained after her primary school children were given a talk and a slide show about famine victims in Africa.
    Apparently they don't need " to have those images rammeded down their throats. It could have spoilt their Christmas"..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Had a discussion about this today.

Peoples differentiating opinions on it is pretty odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

What's wrong with his attitude?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The thing with phrases like 'homophobic bullying' is that it makes it sound like the problem is with the homophobic part and not the bullying.

I would have been a little pissed off when I was in school if a group came in and said homophobic bullying wasn't on but there was no mention of any other bullying, as if the bullying I had to put up with didn't matter because I wasn't gay.

alternatively, a student might think that the school might take any report of bullying more seriously if they're taken a pro-active stance on homophobic bullying.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Would you get annoyed about using the term "racist bullying"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Gatling wrote: »
    John waters

Why do you (and also those that thanked you) feel that John Waters would be a suitable person to represent the 'unrepresented' here and argue in favour of homophobic bullying? John Waters is not a homophobe and nor has he ever expressed homophobic viewpoints, no matter what some idiot has to say on the Saturday Night Show. If you or anyone else has evidence to the contrary, lets hear it. Otherwise though, all you are doing by posting the above sly remark is indulging in the very thing which you appear to suggest you are opposed to: bullying.

Why do you (and also those that thanked you) feel that John Waters would be a suitable person to represent the 'unrepresented' here and argue in favour of homophobic bullying? John Waters is not a homophobe and nor has he ever expressed homophobic viewpoints, no matter what some idiot has to say on the Saturday Night Show. If you or anyone else has evidence to the contrary, lets hear it. Otherwise though, all you are doing by posting the above sly remark is indulging in the very thing which you appear to suggest you are opposed to: bullying.

It was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Hi John! (waves)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

People like this must still believe that gayness is contagious. Morons.

I doubt any girl arrived home and announced that she had decided that when she leaves school she wants to be a gay Rose but I suppose you never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

SW wrote: »
    alternatively, a student might think that the school might take any report of bullying more seriously if they're taken a pro-active stance on homophobic bullying.

I am the opinion we don't need to treat lgbt students as lesser and weaker, and a inclusive talk could of talked about the issue without singling them out the fact they thought they needed a separate talk makes it seem like we don't think of lgbt students the same as everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Finally got around to registering. Mr Waters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

John Waters is not a homophobe and nor has he ever expressed homophobic viewpoints

While we're at it, Michelle Smith has never taken performance-enhancing drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

spikeS wrote: »
    I am the opinion we don't need to treat lgbt students as lesser and weaker, and a inclusive talk could of talked about the issue without singling them out the fact they thought they needed a separate talk makes it seem like we don't think of lgbt students the same as everyone else

As someone who falls under the LGBT rainbow I wouldn't feel singled out or separated if they talked about homophobia or transphobia. Just like I didn't feel singled out when they talked about Irish history in history class, and not just European history, or world history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

This. Bullying is Bullying is Bullying.

Homophobic bullying workshops, while I understand have the best of intentions, are not the best way to go about stopping bullying, homophobic motivated or not. Teach students about homophobia and how it is misguided in the classrooms by all means and have anti-bullying workshops, but associating the two under the guise of homophobic bullying is not smart.
    What problem? He's against bullying, in any way shape or form. That is the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Would you get annoyed about using the term "racist bullying"?
    Yes. Bullying is bullying. No need to put another word in front of the 'bullying' part. It just sends out the message that one groups feelings matter more than another.

If you stop a certain type of bullying the bullies will just move on to another target.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't get the pantis in a bunch

Yes. Bullying is bullying. No need to put another word in front of the 'bullying' part. It just sends out the message that one groups feelings matter more than another.

If you stop a certain type of bullying the bullies will just move on to another target.

No one is disputing that bullying is bullying. Anti-homophobic bullying people aren't trying to monopolise the term. They are merely bringing attention to the fact of one prevalent form of bullying - homophobic bullying.

I don't understand how anyone could oppose that. Surely this is a good thing and those that have been bullied would support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

But in large schools some parents are going to complain no matter what, since the background is so broad. (leftwing, rightwing, religious, active atheist, gay, straight) No matter what a school does or say someone is going to get offended. Impossible situation.

D*ck move cancelling the group. Maybe the group said something overtly political last time they were in the school? Or the school is running their own workshops on bullying rather than pay fees to 3rd party groups. The whole thing is bizarre though. Or some sort of miscommunication, dropping the ball, etc.

Or maybe the caretaker was sick and there was nobody to set up the venue. The fact is, other than a comment from an unidentified person, there is nothing to justify calling the principal a dick.

No one is disputing that bullying is bullying. Anti-homophobic bullying people aren't trying to monopolise the term. They are merely bringing attention to the fact of one prevalent form of bullying - homophobic bullying.

But it's not fair for the school to have that workshop then not have an anti racist, anti misogyny, anti traveller workshop.

It would be easier just to have the one workshop to cover all, it would cost a fortune and time to cover them all equally if you separate them out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

This bullying is actually silencing people and it is preventing any kind of open discussion people are actually afraid to go out now and march on this issue and you are smeared at and ridiculed and particularly at a time of the internet and the way that they use the internet to bully and harass people and demonise people and I think that it is having this effect.

Now: I'm not making that above paragraph up as a parody of homophobes playing the victim card - it's actually from John Water's own mouth, reported on Broadsheet.ie.

So there you have it, internet people: it is YOU that are the bullies with your intimidation, demonization, smears and ridicule, for not recognising John Waters as some kind of Prophet Mohammed character who cannot be questioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Or maybe the caretaker was sick and there was nobody to set up the venue. The fact is, other than a comment from an unidentified person, there is nothing to justify calling the principal a dick.

Never called him a dick???

A million reasons it could have been cancelled. Stated some already. Could possibly blame the journal.ie for publishing such a story without much facts and pure speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

Id be annoyed if I had to sit through a workshop like that, I'm not a bigot and I couldn't care less about anyone's sexual orientation I don't need a workshop to explain to me that bullying is wrong

spikeS wrote: »
    But it's not fair for the school to have that workshop then not have an anti racist, anti misogyny, anti traveller workshop.

It would be easier just to have the one workshop to cover all, it would cost a fortune and time to cover them all equally

I would support dozens and dozens of anti-bullying work shops! More the better on all these issues.

The issue of homophobic bullying is just one source of bullying.

Id be annoyed if I had to sit through a workshop like that, I'm not a bigot and I couldn't care less about anyone's sexual orientation I don't need a workshop to explain to me that bullying is wrong

A bit closed minded? You might learn something new.

So there you have it, internet people: it is YOU that are the bullies with your intimidation, demonization, smears and ridicule, for not recognising John Waters as some kind of Prophet Mohammed character who cannot be questioned.

No need for the islamphobia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭DuchessduJour

I actually can't remember the last time I was this stunned to read something in the news. Honestly thought it was a Waterford Whispers New article at first. What the everloving ****?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Waters a homophobe? Sure what gave ye that idea?

"So it is eventually going to happen, and of course the consequences will flow and among the consequences I predict will be the whole, this is really a kind of a satire on marriage, that is being conducted by the gay lobby. It is not that they want to get married it is that they want to destroy the institution of marriage because they are envious of it and they see it as a, really, as an affront to their equality."

"Gay marriage is really a satire on marriage."

"The idea of two men in shiny suits, there, standing on the church steps that’s satire of our civilisation, that’s what it is. And that’s what it’s intended to be.”
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/09/its-not-even-gay-marriage-im-opposed-to-its-the-idea-of-gay-adoption/

"Drunk with liberal hubris, have we reinvented the wheel of life, deciding that two lesbians playing House can trump the claims of the forces that create human life?"
    https://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/2008/04/18/meanwhile-john-waters-reinventing-the-wheel-of-life-yeah-right/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Typical closed-minded Gaelgoir attitude; too stubborn to change their attitude and snobbery with Irish. This is unsurprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Daith wrote: »
    They were going to give the talk and the school had no issue beforehand. If the school decided that they were going to do it themselves then why not say so.

I don't know tbh, and if I had been Mr. Meehan I would have sought a meeting with the Principal and gone through official channels rather than firing off a knee-jerk reaction on twitter in response to an unknown person at the school who had no authority to speak on behalf of the school.

Advertisement