Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin school cancels workshop on homophobic bullying, saying “both sides should be r

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Typical closed-minded Gaelgoir attitude; too stubborn to change their attitude and snobbery with Irish. This is unsurprising.

I wouldn't say that considering they had the same workshop in the school in 2012 and 2013. On reflection it sounds like a parent or "external body" threatened them. It could be because of the upcoming marriage equality referendum. Some of the No side will be resorting the every dirty trick in the book.

I hope the school do come out and explain fully the reasons for the cancellation because at the moment they are taking the brunt of the criticism and it certainly is damaging their image and reputation.

As for people saying that the workshop is too selective I don't agree. The more we educate our children about the various types of bullying the better. I grew up in the 1980's and alot of what would have been classed as banter or slagging when I was in secondary school would be considered bullying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Typical closed-minded Gaelgoir attitude; too stubborn to change their attitude and snobbery with Irish. This is unsurprising.

Ha!

Because its because the lads didn't do the workshop through Irish.

Although they had been in the school previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi John! (waves)

Stop picking on the new boardsie. Blatant noobiphobia. Down with this sorta of thing. For fecks sake.

:mad:

endacl wrote: »
    Stop picking on the new boardsie. Blatant noobiphobia. Down with this sorta of thing. For fecks sake.

:mad:

Ooohhhhh noobiphobia, I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

It is all inclusive. Everyone can be a homophobic bully and you sure as **** don't have to be gay to be a victim of it.
    Exactly. Gay people can be homophobic bullies and straight homophobic people can not be homophobic bullies. The whole premise of homophobic bullying is misguided.

Bullying is a part of human nature unfortunately and will never be completely eradicated. But we can eradicate homophobia, if we tackle it as a separate issue to bullying, and educate our young people in all things relating to homophobia, from anal to sex to science to aids and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

VinLieger wrote: »
    Expect Iona parachuting in to provide the "other side"

Idiotic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The thing with phrases like 'homophobic bullying' is that it makes it sound like the problem is with the homophobic part and not the bullying.

I would have been a little pissed off when I was in school if a group came in and said homophobic bullying wasn't on but there was no mention of any other bullying, as if the bullying I had to put up with didn't matter because I wasn't gay.

No. Straight people are often victims of homophobic bullying as well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Nodin wrote: »
    Waters a homophobe? Sure what gave ye that idea?

"So it is eventually going to happen, and of course the consequences will flow and among the consequences I predict will be the whole, this is really a kind of a satire on marriage, that is being conducted by the gay lobby. It is not that they want to get married it is that they want to destroy the institution of marriage because they are envious of it and they see it as a, really, as an affront to their equality."

"Gay marriage is really a satire on marriage."

"The idea of two men in shiny suits, there, standing on the church steps that’s satire of our civilisation, that’s what it is. And that’s what it’s intended to be[/URL]

"Drunk with liberal hubris, have we reinvented the wheel of life, deciding that two lesbians playing House can trump the claims of the forces that create human life?"

None of the above comments are homophobic no matter how out of context you, or anyone else, wishes to take them. Like it or not, and it's quite clear that you don't like it, some people are vehemently opposed to Gay marriage, but, that in and of itself does not make those people homophobic. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word if you feel that expressing such views justifies such a label such as homophobe .
    Hi John! (waves)
    Luke92 wrote: »
    Finally got around to registering. Mr Waters?

Yes, you got me. I registered yesterday as just after mass on Sunday, the priest came to me and told me that they had a premonition that someone on this forum was going to make a a a nasty little libelous joke about me on here today. Been searching for my name for the past 24 hours and just when I had almost given up, here we are. And there was me doubting Sinead's ordination.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Don't get the pantis in a bunch

So you have no real basis for your "joke" then. Thought as much. Bullying it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

No. Straight people are often victims of homophobic bullying as well.

And in a way, homophobes are victims of their own prejudices as well - and it will improve their lives immensely to be able to go through life not hating gay people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

None of the above comments are homophobic no matter how out of context you, or anyone else, wishes to take them. ..........

God no. No-one should think that somebody who accuses a section of society of being out to destroy something has anything against that section at all, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I don't know tbh, and if I had been Mr. Meehan I would have sought a meeting with the Principal and gone through official channels rather than firing off a knee-jerk reaction on twitter in response to an unknown person at the school who had no authority to speak on behalf of the school.

They had asked the school to give an explanation and none was forthcoming.

Are they not allowed to post stuff on twitter now? You know as little about the issue than the people involved yet it doesn't stop you posting?

Apparently it was "postponed"

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0127/676035-school-homophobic-talk/
    Some parents, he said, had not received letters and some had a difficulty with the topic of LGBT issues being raised at the workshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

None of the above comments are homophobic no matter how out of context you, or anyone else, wishes to take them. Like it or not, and it's quite clear that you don't like it, some people are vehemently opposed to Gay marriage, but, that in and of itself does not make those people homophobic. I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word if you feel that expressing such views justifies such a label such as homophobe .

Yes, you got me. I registered yesterday as just after mass on Sunday, the priest came to me and told me that they had a premonition that someone on this forum was going to make a a a nasty little libelous joke about me on here today. Been searching for my name for the past 24 hours and just when I had almost given up, here we are. And there was me doubting Sinead's ordination.

So you have no real basis for your "joke" then. Thought as much. Bullying it is so.

Oh lolgasm. John Waters ain't a homophobe he's my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

K4t wrote: »
    Exactly. Gay people can be homophobic bullies and straight homophobic people can not be homophobic bullies. The whole premise of homophobic bullying is misguided.

Bullying is a part of human nature unfortunately and will never be completely eradicated. But we can eradicate homophobia, if we tackle it as a separate issue to bullying, and educate our young people in all things relating to homophobia, from anal to sex to science to aids and so on.
    I completely agree with you that bullying is bullying, regardless of the type.
    I can understand though why specific education surrounding homophobic bullying would be justified. Growing up gay is a completely unique experience with the whole remaining closeted til you're an adult aspect of life. People can be bullied for being ginger, nerds etc. but none of them ever have to hide that aspect of their life, or face being disowned by their parents for that.
    As such, young people (who understandably may have never thought about that before) would benefit from learning about the mental toll that can have on a person, and how even off the cuff "******" remarks (or worse) can impact on that person. Especially considering school-aged gay people in Ireland today are 7 times more likely to commit suicide than their heterosexual counterparts. It's a very vulnerable group of people that I think warrants special attention, along with other vulnerable groups such as racism etc.

Daith wrote: »

Suppose that makes sense. Parents usually informed when workshop take place instead of normal classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Basicially sounds like some bigoted card carrying Iona parent had issues with the LGBT topics and raised a stink

Suppose that makes sense. Parents usually informed when workshop take place instead of normal classes.

It was arranged several months ago. Not exactly buying that answer.

The statement is interesting.
    Speaking this afternoon, its principal Finín Máirtín said the workshop had not been cancelled but had been postponed.

He said that parents had received late notification about the talk, because letters had only gone out yesterday.

Some parents, he said, had not received letters and some had a difficulty with the topic of LGBT issues being raised at the workshop.

But he said that there was also an issue with students over-compensating for perceived homophobia.

"Obviously we want to avoid situations in the past where students have attended such a workshop and ended up smoking some tramp's aul lad on the way home from school," he added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭spikeS

And the school sent out letters yesterday? This is all the schools fault, they messed up

Must have missed where it was arranged and confirmed several months ago?

Someone probably dropped the ball. Letters were just forgotten or left to late.

• Advertisement

spikeS wrote: »
    And the school sent out letters yesterday? This is all the schools fault, they messed up

It doesn't make sense at all. If the letters were only sent out yesterday how come some parents

"some had a difficulty with the topic of LGBT issues being raised at the workshop."

Sorry, they got the letters today and rang the school straight away?

None of it makes any sense.

A chap from Shout Out said it. Will try and find the link again.

http://www.thejournal.ie/colaiste-eoin-stillorgan-homophobia-workshop-1905500-Jan2015/

Meehan said that workshop had been booked several months ago and the cancellation was “out of the blue”.

Someone probably dropped the ball. Letters were just forgotten or left to late.

This they had to cancel, they messed up the letters and without permission it could not go ahead

It doesn't make sense at all. If the letters were only sent out yesterday how come some parents

"some had a difficulty with the topic of LGBT issues being raised at the workshop."

Meehan said that workshop had been booked several months ago and the cancellation was “out of the blue”.

So shout out or the school is lying it would seem

K4t wrote: »
    It became a debate as soon as the focus of the workshop was homophobic bullying instead of simply bullying.

Schools are supposed to tackle homophobic bullying. Emphasis on homophobic. It's very clear actually.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cyber-bullying-1082034-Sep2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

What do they do in a LGBT workshop? I genuinely have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

eviltwin wrote: »
    How can there be two sides to bullying, homophobic or of any other kind?
    Clearly, there are bullies. Who believe its OK to do what they do. So they have a point of view. Yes it conflicts with the great majority who abhor homophobic bullying, but nevertheless, the bullies have their side.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    What argument could there be? Who would represent the other side?
    Bullies, obviously. And its up to them to make their case in favour of it.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    What do they do in a LGBT workshop? I genuinely have no idea.

Hour-long discussion. Seems sound enough.

http://shoutout.ie/school-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They had asked the school to give an explanation and none was forthcoming.

Are they not allowed to post stuff on twitter now? You know as little about the issue than the people involved yet it doesn't stop you posting?

I never said anyone wasn't allowed post anything, I suggested that it was a knee-jerk reaction, and an ill-judged one at that. I'm quite familiar with outside organisations arranging to speak to students and the workings of the school management system. It takes the word 'bureaucracy' to the next level.

http://www.thejournal.ie/colaiste-eoin-stillorgan-homophobia-workshop-1905500-Jan2015/

They may not have instant access to twitter like Mr. Meehan and the journalists that picked up the story and ran with it, but parents usually have access to mobile phones, and can contact the school in the same way Mr. Meehan did.

I never said anyone wasn't allowed post anything, I suggested that it was a knee-jerk reaction, and an ill-judged one at that.

Ill judged for the school who messed up. Hardly knee-jerk after repeated attempts to get an answer from the school.
    They may not have instant access to twitter like Mr. Meehan and the journalists that picked up the story and ran with it, but parents usually have access to mobile phones, and can contact the school in the same way Mr. Meehan did.

It's a pity the school didn't give Mr. Meehan an actual response then isn't? After repeated attempts to contact the school as to why they would cancel an event with half hour notice that was arranged months ago?

Now what issues in a LGBT workshop focused on homophobic bullying would some parents object to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

VinLieger wrote: »
    Basicially sounds like some bigoted card carrying Iona parent had issues with the LGBT topics and raised a stink

Doesn't make sense... Schools have a legal responsibility to provide relationships education including anti bullying and sex ed. Parents are usually just informed and there's nothing they can do about it. They cant change school policy and the laws of the country because of their own beliefs.

Advertisement